• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

RealMeat

Banned
The combat in Trickster (on steam) is pretty great. I does kind of require a 360 degree setup, since turning with the stick is too slow if you get surrounded. I've had pretty good luck using my second camera behind me. The oculus setup complains, but it lets you do it. Trickster's one of the few games I've tried that feels like it lets you take the training wheels off, since it has the option for free (non-teleport) movement and it gets pretty challenging.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/1185553768207503/

Cosmic Trip and Dig 4 Destruction are today's deals.

Any opinions on either?

Both are really good.

Cosmic Trip is pretty unique. You warp (not teleport, you warp by walking through portals to set spots) around a small map, building structures and helper robots to gather resources, build, and defend against enemies. You can also attack a well with a cool frisbee disk thing and turrets you build. Last time I checked it was kind of content light, but I haven't checked in a while and I know they've added a lot since.

Dig 4 Destruction is pretty cool where you literally dig around a voxel map to traverse it looking for enemy players and weapons. There are a lot of weapons and a bit more depth like being able to snatch weapons off another player if they're close enough. It also has some unlocks and a pretty cool lobby with lots of stuff to interact with. The only problem as with a lot of multiplayer games is that the player count wasn't too hot last time I checked. That said, it does have full bot support.

btkadams

I definitely felt a bit of buyer's remorse with my oculus when i got it. I only actually bought a few games, and 2 of them made me sick (Minecraft and Edge of Nowhere), which was a huge bummer. I just bought Thumper recently though, since i love it on PS4 non-VR. I LOVE IT ON MY OCULUS.

I was actually thinking of selling my Oculus, but Thumper really made me love it. Should I get the Touch controllers? They're so expensive, but I'm getting the impression that I am not able to play VR's best games without them. Are people really enjoying them? I've heard they are very high quality, but I'm more curious about the actual value proposition with games that currently support it in addition to future games.

120v

I definitely felt a bit of buyer's remorse with my oculus when i got it. I only actually bought a few games, and 2 of them made me sick (Minecraft and Edge of Nowhere), which was a huge bummer. I just bought Thumper recently though, since i love it on PS4 non-VR. I LOVE IT ON MY OCULUS.

I was actually thinking of selling my Oculus, but Thumper really made me love it. Should I get the Touch controllers? They're so expensive, but I'm getting the impression that I am not able to play VR's best games without them. Are people really enjoying them?

i was in the same boat... my rift was pretty much collecting dust but Touch completely reinvigorated my love for the thing. definitely worth it

caveat is (imo) the library still isn't there. other than Superhot i still don't see myself using it an awful lot, but i feel a lot better about my investment down the line. it's definitely a must have but not something you need to rush out and get

jim2011

I was actually thinking of selling my Oculus, but Thumper really made me love it. Should I get the Touch controllers? They're so expensive, but I'm getting the impression that I am not able to play VR's best games without them. Are people really enjoying them?

Oculus without touch controllers=5/10
PS VR with Move = 6.5/10
Oculus with Oculus Touch= 9/10

A 4K oculus without god rays would get a 10 in my books. Once you try oculus touch, you question why they even released it without it. It is by far the most immersive gaming experience ever. Just try super hot vr.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I was actually thinking of selling my Oculus, but Thumper really made me love it. Should I get the Touch controllers? They're so expensive, but I'm getting the impression that I am not able to play VR's best games without them. Are people really enjoying them? I've heard they are very high quality, but I'm more curious about the actual value proposition with games that currently support it in addition to future games.

VR is incomplete without hand tracking controllers. Get the Touch controllers and get Rec Room.

btkadams

i was in the same boat... my rift was pretty much collecting dust but Touch completely reinvigorated my love for the thing. definitely worth it

caveat is (imo) the library still isn't there. other than Superhot i still don't see myself using it an awful lot, but i feel a lot better about my investment down the line. it's definitely a must have but not something you need to rush out and get

Oculus without touch controllers=5/10
PS VR with Move = 6.5/10
Oculus with Oculus Touch= 9/10

A 4K oculus without god rays would get a 10 in my books. Once you try oculus touch, you question why they even released it without it. It is by far the most immersive gaming experience ever. Just try super hot vr.

VR is incomplete without hand tracking controllers. Get the Touch controllers and get Rec Room.
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to save up for the Touch then. I'm already 3/4s of the way there with owning a rift and capable PC, so i owe it to myself to try the rift with motion controllers before thinking of getting rid of it for sure.

Vanmunt

Banned
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to save up for the Touch then. I'm already 3/4s of the way there with owning a rift and capable PC, so i owe it to myself to try the rift with motion controllers before thinking of getting rid of it for sure.

Using your rift without touch is like playing football without a ball.

YuShtink

It's expensive for controllers but so worth it. It adds a lot more value to having a Rift.

Justinh

Once you try oculus touch, you question why they even released it without it. It is by far the most immersive gaming experience ever. Just try super hot vr.
Yeah, since when I first got my Oculus it definitely felt like "something was missing." I ordered some Touch controllers today and they should be here in a few days and I'm pretty excited about them, especially after watching Giant Bomb's last VRodeo (SuperHOT).

Frozone

So I bought one more game that I really wanted but was scared it wouldn't work with the Oculus Touch controls -- Raw Data.

I'm in heaven now! Such a bad-ass lightsaber-like katana wielding, gun-toting, robot frenzied, blade-runner"ish", cyberpunk VR game. I love it!

So I bought one more game that I really wanted but was scared it wouldn't work with the Oculus Touch controls -- Raw Data.

I'm in heaven now! Such a bad-ass lightsaber-like katana wielding, gun-toting, robot frenzied, blade-runner"ish", cyberpunk VR game. I love it!

Are they properly supporting Touch now? I tried it when Touch launched but guns were at the wrong angle because it assumed you were holding a Vive controller. It felt awful.

vermadas

Day 12 (super late, less than an hour left lol)

Windlands - 40% off - $11.99
VR Tennis Online - 40% off - $14.99

New vorpX 17.1.0 release.

This is a major feature release that mainly brings new and improved functionality to vorpX.

Support for Oculus Touch and Vive Controllers

vorpX now supports Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Controllers can act either as keyboard/mouse or as Xbox gamepad, so almost every game will be covered one way or the other. The rendered ingame controllers always show the current key mapping, which makes this as intuitive as possible.

Direct VR

Direct VR can provide perfect 1:1 head tracking, automated FOV adjustment with perfectly calculated FOV regardless of headset, game resolution or vorpX settings that may affect the correct game FOV. In some cases also positional tracking can be handled by Direct VR.

Current games with full or partial Direct VR support: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition, Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bishock (original), Bioshock 2 (original), Bioshock Infinite, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Black Mesa Source.

Custom Environments for Cinema Mode

You can now import a wide variety of both mono and stereo environment images as a background for the vorpX Cinema Mode. Supports the most common sphere-, cube- and cross-image types. Easily import per drag and drop in the config app, then select the image in the Virtual Cinema.

Basic Image Adjustments

vorpX now allows you to do basic image adjustments (again), which were unavailable since headsets operate in Direct Mode. You can adjust brightness (gamma), saturation and apply a sharpening filter. The latter makes most sense for games that can run at a fairly high resolution.

VR-Surround-Videos and Playback Controls for MPC-HC and VLC

For video player profiles vorpX now provides the ability to watch the most common mono or Stereo 3D VR-surround-video types. Also basic playback controls are now available in the vorpX ingame menu for MPC-HC and VLC.

Other Enhancements

In addition to the above main features vorpX 17.1.0 adds literally dozens of smaller improvements. A few noteworthy examples are: mouse pitch (y-rotation) can be locked in most games, mouse movement locked in most games while vorpX menu is open, enhanced latency for HTC Vive, Multisampling AA for Virtual Cinema, vorpX ingame menu now rendered in 3D-space, mousewheel up/down can now be mapped to gamepad buttons, G3D/Z3D switching shortcut (default [ALT][Q]), and a lot more.

Note: If you do not already own vorpX and are wondering if it's worth purchasing, the answer is probably no. The hacked in support it provides is vastly inferior to native. For those of us who have already wasted our money on the product, it might be worth checking out the new "Direct VR".

trs1080

Neo Member
OK yup SUPERHOT VR is legit. Just played about 45 minutes so far and taking a break heh. I feel like my headset is going to smell like a locker room soon.

Enordash

Has anyone tried a long passive USB extension (~15ft) for one of the sensors? I'm looking for a quick recommendation. I'm really just wondering if I should go for an active extension in this case.

So I ran into my first hiccup with VR MP-only games. Finally got around to playing The Unspoken and couldn't find a match after playing the tutorial. Thankfully you can do practice matches with the AI. Though the universe they were building seemed ripe for a nice single player campaign. Oh well.

Steel

Banned
So I ran into my first hiccup with VR MP-only games. Finally got around to playing The Unspoken and couldn't find a match after playing the tutorial. Thankfully you can do practice matches with the AI. Though the universe they were building seemed ripe for a nice single player campaign. Oh well.

Yeah, that's why I'm avoiding VR MP-only games. It doesn't seem like population counts would be high enough to support them. Which is why it kinda shocks me that a very large portion of VR games are MP focused or only.

senahorse

Has anyone tried a long passive USB extension (~15ft) for one of the sensors? I'm looking for a quick recommendation. I'm really just wondering if I should go for an active extension in this case.

I think you may have trouble at that distance with a passive cable, I use an active one which works fine, check post 745.

I purchased early access to Onward and I'm very glad I did. Holy shit, this game has the potential to be something special (and that potential is apparently being realized by Valve). It even works okay without 360 degree tracking, you just use the right analog to turn, but I think I'm going to try to change my sensor configuration to go 360 anyway. The feel of the weapons is great, the locomotion works, the social aspect is awesome. The main problem I've been having though is that when I ADS the Touch sometimes slightly interferes with the headset tracking or something and causes the aiming to be a little glitchy. Anyone have that same experience?

Anyway, I highly recommend it for a vr multiplayer shooter fix. There are some janky aspects to it and very few options, plus the learning curve is steep (watching the tutorial is a must) but it will be great to see it improve over the next few months.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I purchased early access to Onward and I'm very glad I did. Holy shit, this game has the potential to be something special (and that potential is apparently being realized by Valve). It even works okay without 360 degree tracking, you just use the right analog to turn, but I think I'm going to try to change my sensor configuration to go 360 anyway. The feel of the weapons is great, the locomotion works, the social aspect is awesome. The main problem I've been having though is that when I ADS the Touch sometimes slightly interferes with the headset tracking or something and causes the aiming to be a little glitchy. Anyone have that same experience?

Anyway, I highly recommend it for a vr multiplayer shooter fix. There are some janky aspects to it and very few options, plus the learning curve is steep (watching the tutorial is a must) but it will be great to see it improve over the next few months.

What is the locomotion system in the game?
What aspect of the social system is so good? Is it the community or like the system that controls the interactions?

What is the locomotion system in the game?
What aspect of the social system is so good? Is it the community or like the system that controls the interactions?

It's artificial locomotion with the left analog; moving forward/backward/strafing. Turning is with your right thumbstick if you don't have full 360 tracking (it may be helpful even if you do). The turning snaps you a few degrees to the left/right instead of a smooth turn which may help with the comfort level. It's a fairly slow paced game so that may have something to do with it as well, it's just nice to see that a more standard control movement works well in a VR multiplayer game.

The social aspect is just cool because you have the lobby where everyone is talking, then in game you can talk to people normally if you're close enough but the enemy can also hear your voice if they're close. If you put your left hand up next to your head and hold the trigger you go through your comm device and everyone on your team hears you loud and clear, whereas standard speaking trails off when you get around 20 feet away from people. It just kinda works, the body language aspect of communication is also really cool. The community seems friendly enough. It seems like an older crowd than a standard fps with most people in their 20's or 30's, but that makes sense since it's PC VR with a tactical shooter that doesn't hold your hand at all.

The game is pretty hardcore though. Some really good people have been playing for a while. I've put 10 hours in and I feel like that's pretty much the amount of time you need to play to get used to all the mechanics, and like I said before, watching the tutorial is a must. Team kills also happen because besides your clothes, it's very hard to distinguish if someone from any distance is on your team. For that you have to take out your tablet where you can see the location of your teammates.

There's definitely some jank, but the fact that the dev is working at Valve for now means it's very possible this game is going to get polished at an accelerated rate.

Edit: the population is healthy considering, which can't be said for many VR games at this point. When I was playing last night there were around 150-200 people playing (you can add it up in the server browser) and it will likely grow from here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enjoying Touch a lot thus far but...I'm having horrible lens fogging issues. Moving around causes me to heat up even though I'm not actually sweating and it's just enough to cause my glasses to fog up horribly. It's perfect without glasses but then I cannot see. Haven't found a good solution yet but it sucks since, once it starts, I can't play for a bit. :\

Not an issue with PSVR games in which I'm moving - the design of that headset helps avoid the issue. The Oculus is super prone to this.

Had the same problem at E3 just with Oculus (Vive was OK). :\ Something about the design of the headset seems to cause my glasses to steam up badly.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How easy is it to apply super sampling on the Rift? Is it as simple as the Vive?

I've only really done it in game and on the Vive. I haven't seen an easy way to achieve it with the Rift just yet. I did find this article, though. It says you need the Oculus SDK.

Enjoying Touch a lot thus far but...I'm having horrible lens fogging issues. Moving around causes me to heat up even though I'm not actually sweating and it's just enough to cause my glasses to fog up horribly. It's perfect without glasses but then I cannot see. Haven't found a good solution yet but it sucks since, once it starts, I can't play for a bit. :\

Not an issue with PSVR games in which I'm moving - the design of that headset helps avoid the issue. The Oculus is super prone to this.

Had the same problem at E3 just with Oculus (Vive was OK). :\ Something about the design of the headset seems to cause my glasses to steam up badly.

I actually have the Rift lens fog up when I put it on. Not sure how that happens exactly. I have not found a great workaround yet. I haven't tried PSVR but I do not have the issue on the Vive.

I've only really done it in game and on the Vive. I haven't seen an easy way to achieve it with the Rift just yet. I did find this article, though. It says you need the Oculus SDK.

I actually have the Rift lens fog up when I put it on. Not sure how that happens exactly. I have not found a great workaround yet. I haven't tried PSVR but I do not have the issue on the Vive.

Really? That could be a big hurdle for me. Might just get another Vive if that is the case.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Really? That could be a big hurdle for me. Might just get another Vive if that is the case.

I'd still say wait it out for now, but if you have enough games you believe will justify the purchase, I will say that both headsets are good. Vive gets you roomscale for cheaper. Rift + Touch gets you better controllers. I have my personal preferences but those won't help you much.

If you want me to test games on either headset, let me know and I'll report back with impressions.

Riptwo

I've had this happen, but if I tighten the top strap a bit and have the HMD sit slightly higher it seems to stop happening.

vermadas

I have to keep a fan pointed at my face when I use the Rift or my face gets too hot, which can lead to fogging. Another thing that can help prevent fogging is to turn on Oculus Home 5 - 10 minutes before actually putting on the headset so that it warms up beforehand. Otherwise, there are wipes like these.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've had this happen, but if I tighten the top strap a bit and have the HMD sit slightly higher it seems to stop happening.

That actually makes sense as I had recently altered how the HMD sat to try to reduce the light pop-in from around the nose area. Looks like I need to choose between more light peeking in or less fog.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I've had fogging issues with my glassesbefore, but if I let the Rift run for a bit first I generally avoid the problem.

How easy is it to apply super sampling on the Rift? Is it as simple as the Vive?

Pretty easy. Install the SDK and you run a little utility where you can set the value.

Also note some games provide supersample options in their game menus.

Top Bottom