• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

WTF are they thinking?

How is this that more expensive than the Dk2? Jesus, hype got to their heads :/

Two custom displays instead of one off the shelf screen. Custom integrated audio. Included controller. Better materials all around. Like the price or not, that's the answer.

AaronMT86

Your PC is not ready for Rift

Your Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.8GHz processor doesn't meet our recommended specification, which is an Intel i5-4590 equivalent or later.

konjak

Plamer Luckey never spoke in a way that should've implied any different. I wish people weren't this surprised and gave this a shot to simply give it some time to go down in price.

CbWcioA.png

Wow, just wow.........
This is in Sweden, shipping excluded.
In dollares, this would be $751(.)24

If touch was included I would think that was a fair, but still expensive price. The fact that I'll have an extra xbox one controller and will still need to buy the touch (for probably $150) makes this a no buy for me. There also just aren't enough interesting looking games to justify a purchase yet.

Plamer Luckey never spoke in a way that should've implied any different. I wish people weren't this surprised and gave this a shot to simply give it some time to go down in price.

Maybe not after the Facebook acquisition, but around DK2 times they were talking about the CV1 aiming at a similar price, which is close to half of what it ended up being.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I completed the order and got an order number but no email and it says I don't have any past orders. Is this the same with everyone?

EDIT: NM, got the email now.

Hoo-doo

Banned
And to think this thing is likely going to remain under-supported and surpassed by OR2 in two years tops, that's a LOT of money to gamble away.

Yeah no, I don't think so. Give it a few years.

Tagyhag

I decided to wait for Gen 2 anyways but still that price.

I understand that these will be incredible pieces of hardware but DAMN.

Sony execs are high fiving each other right now. They probably thought $300 was too steep, but now they can easily sell this for $400.

Your expectations are way out of whack. They aren't going to price PSVR at $300. I'm expecting $500.

How could they build the PSVR with all the required components, pack in camera touch and external box all for $300?

Welp, I ordered one. Not getting charged till it ships helped because I can always cancel it if I change my mind.

For some reason I didn't get shown that I'd be charged tax, but I'm guessing that was an error.

Preordered.

$629.00 USD including shipping (to US address)

Also asks if you want to be "put in line" for the Touch at the end which was a 'hell yeah!'

And to think this thing is likely going to remain under-supported and surpassed by OR2 in two years tops, that's a LOT of money to gamble away.

Yeah no, I don't think so. Give it a few years.

"Gamble away" .. ? It's really not a gamble. It's going to be used on games I really want to play that already have DK2 support.

And do you really think Oculus isn't going to go full on beast mode with their FIRST CONSUMER device? What a weird thing to say. This isn't the Kinect or Move where support dropped like a rock less than months after release.

Top Bottom