• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift "KILLER" 3DHead to appear at CES

DogMeat77

Palmer Luckey: "Really bad VR is the only thing that can kill off VR"
ibpPAou58RPEyl.gif

epmode

I own Star Citizen but have no interest in playing until we can walk around on Earth. What do you think of it so far? When does the FPS element come out?

The basic FPS and planetside modules are scheduled to launch this year. Those will be alphas like the current modules though. It sounds like you're interested in the persistent multiplayer mode but that's not happening until 2016.

MattyG

Banned
Jesus, that fucking promo video is hilarious. Get this guys, this shit's patented, so it is only one of a kind.

I can't use it with my WiiU though, so that's kind of a deal breaker.

So what's sadder, the obvious paid shills praising the antvr garbage, or the fanboys who hate Oculus/FB/Sony so much that they'll hype anything that's a competitor? System wars never change, smh. There are people in the reddit thread who can't wait to preorder even after people tell them it's broken garbage.

cakefoo

What if it's real though? What if you actually CAN hook it up to a PS4 and all the games work with perfect head tracking and 3D? What if this strange child is actually on to something?
A peripheral can't just command a console to render stereoscopic 3D. It has to be written in the game code. The best you can hope for is half-assed autoconversion like some 3DTVs have.

The headtracking might work in a limited form, but it would be something akin to those mouse peripherals for PS3 and 360, which simply remap the joystick. Your max turn speed will be limited, so it won't be able to track a quick pan, and will feel like it's drifting because it's dropping data every time you move faster than it can track. Also, thumbsticks are only programmed to pan and tilt- so it's not going to track side-to-side roll, which is crucial for syncing up with your inner ear's balance, and helps VR users avoid getting sick.

Lastly, a VR screen with a wide field of view requires the game to be run at a matching internal field of view as well. But just like the stereo 3D issue, it's impossible without in-game field of view settings.

Krejlooc

Banned
or the fanboys who hate Oculus/FB/Sony so much that they'll hype anything that's a competitor?

These people are thankfully in the minority of these VR communities. Most people like VR no matter where it's coming from. It's bigger than any single company, and that's really important.

I know the type of person you're talking about, though. There is one guy who posts on /r/oculus who apparently knew Palmer Luckey from the MTBS3D days and is bitter and rallies against anything Oculus and hypes up anything from a competitor specifically because they're not Oculus.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm pretty sure this is a pr stunt from either Oculus VR (or Sony).

I really think it's just a shitty cash grab out to swindle money from those who don't know better. Same as AntVR. I constantly compare the emerging VR industry to the late 80's and early 90's PC market, it reminds me of that "wild west" time period. My parents bought an 8088 in 1989 off the home shopping network for like $1000. Even though my dad wound up using the shit out of that computer and learned quite a bit about how computers work from having to use such an antiquated machine (we actually surfed the internet on that machine, in glorious CGA), that thing was clearly meant to be sold to uninformed buyers like my father. By 1989, an 8088 was lightyears behind the competition.

That's what this stuff reminds me of. This is the stuff that would have been marketed as VR back in like 1998. The stuff people always remember when they get cynical about VR and ask "what's different this time?"

This is basically the bad side of that wild west atmosphere I'm speaking about.

Ominym

Banned
What a fucking joke, this has to be some sort of viral marketing campaign. Right? Between the price, that awful video, and the gigantic ass headpiece I simply cannot believe this is real.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So wait a minute...this isn't some sort of joke video? Because I honestly believed that this was some sort of joke video until I read the comments on this thread. Also...

124424-9065-professor-farnsworth.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There's someone else looking silly in this thread

Well to be honest the OR does look a bit ridiculous strapped to your head. They need to make it a lot thinner a smaller?

CES is going to be more entertaining than I thought. Though I hope press don't keep bugging Oculus for comments about this, something this absurd could be really distracting from legitimate VR news.

Krejlooc

Banned
CES is going to be more entertaining than I thought. Though I hope press don't keep bugging Oculus for comments about this, something this absurd could be really distracting from legitimate VR news.

This CES is going to be enormous for VR. VR is basically the buzz of CES this year around. Lots and lots of VR news coming tomorrow.

Not falling for it. This is clearly a hoax.

There is no way a product like this, with that controller would ever be serious. If they were serious then something like this would cost a lot of money to get this far, so why the shitty promotional work?

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow, I just saw the promo video.
That thing is probably bigger than my backpack.
Yeah, VR will fail if people see this design.

Krejlooc

Banned
Not falling for it. This is clearly a hoax.

There is no way a product like this, with that controller would ever be serious. If they were serious then something like this would cost a lot of money to get this far, so why the shitty promotional work?

I mean, this isn't even the most ridiculous VR cash grab that's been attempted recently. AntVR is just as shitty and has actually been much more aggressive and weird than 3DHead.

These things just don't get talked about much by VR enthusiasts because, well, why promote things that make VR look fucking terrible? And are obvious scams?

All these ridiculous fly-by-night shoddy products are from people who sense VR is about to become the next big focus point of 2015 and are scrambling to get in on the boom.

This CES is going to be enormous for VR. VR is basically the buzz of CES this year around. Lots and lots of VR news coming tomorrow.
Yes yes, which is why I hope this doesn't steal the show because of the absurdity. I mean it's bound to get news stories sure, but I don't want to see this shit everywhere after the novelty of the joke wears off. I'd even prefer it to not appear in any search results relating to VR, it's fun being able to laugh at it if you know what real VR is, but in reality it could muddy the waters for the more casual market if it gets too much press.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yes yes, which is why I hope this doesn't steal the show because of the absurdity. I mean it's bound to get news stories sure, but I don't want to see this shit everywhere after the novelty of the joke wears off. I'd even prefer it to not appear in any search results relating to VR, it's fun being able to laugh at it if you know what real VR is, but in reality it could muddy the waters for the more casual market if it gets too much press.

Oculus themselves have 3 booths, and Virtuix and Sixense will both be there showing off the final, machine printed versions of their products that are right about to ship. There will be enough content from the "big boys" that art actually shipping products that this shouldn't receive significant coverage. It's not like this company is all that big, and their product was announced a long time ago. Presumably, the only reason people notice it right now is because the show hasn't started and it has a goofy booth.

I mean, this isn't even the most ridiculous VR cash grab that's been attempted recently. AntVR is just as shitty and has actually been much more aggressive and weird than 3DHead.

These things just don't get talked about much by VR enthusiasts because, well, why promote things that make VR look fucking terrible? And are obvious scams?

All these ridiculous fly-by-night shoddy products are from people who sense VR is about to become the next big focus point of 2015 and are scrambling to get in on the boom.

... maybe I'm just hoping it's a hoax. LOL

But really, I agree with what you're saying, there's definately a gold rush going on with VR right now. I'm still not convinced that the 3DHead is genuine yet. Also, take a look at the display under construction- check out the right button (or dpad??) on the controller. Why is it all smudged? I'm still putting my bet on this being an elaborate hoax using a picture of some else's booth with a photoshop swap.

Oculus themselves have 3 booths, and Virtuix and Sixense will both be there showing off the final, machine printed versions of their products that are right about to ship. There will be enough content from the "big boys" that art actually shipping products that this shouldn't receive significant coverage. It's not like this company is all that big, and their product was announced a long time ago. Presumably, the only reason people notice it right now is because the show hasn't started and it has a goofy booth.
Yeah you are probably right. I think I'm in the camp that is overprotective of VR.

You happen to know of any schedule for the VR related stuff? I saw that Palmer was going to be in some panel but I can't remember if that was VR specific, it would be great to keep on top of the news as it comes.

cakefoo

You happen to know of any schedule for the VR related stuff? I saw that Palmer was going to be in some panel but I can't remember if that was VR specific, it would be great to keep on top of the news as it comes.
4:30 Pacific time Tuesday, the panel will be liveblogged on CNET

Xater

The promo video is amazing. Especially how they claim all that shit without showing it actually working.

Also the point where they talk about 3D without glasses got me. Never seen that tech before right?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a dev kit?

I think this looks sexy for a consumer version:
2dvyGpD.png

Looks like a piece of military hardware. They really do need to significantly reduce the bulk of the device.

Top Bottom