• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift "KILLER" 3DHead to appear at CES

Coconut

Banned
None of these things exist in a proper consumer market yet. Can there be a killer of oculus if we don't know if there is a big market for VR?

majik13

they should have used an adult with how big the headset looks.

And as probabaly already noted. anything termed "xxxxx killer", never is.

Edit:

I also totally beleive this game reprograms Unity to track your head and arm movements. Why would you even want that in the first place?

None of these things exist in a proper consumer market yet. Can there be a killer of oculus if we don't know if there is a big market for VR?

I'd say after all the hoopla we've seen for VR thus far without VERY little promotion of the technology it is a forgone conclusion that there definitely is a substantial VR market, to say the least.

Popnbake

Well oculus did have media spotlight when Facebook bought them for 2 billion dollars.

It's one of the main brands people think of when it comes to future VR gaming devices.

"Oculus killer" could be more of a statement that the hype should be focused on them rather than success in the consumer market at this point.

thpkax.gif
What game is this?

Darkangel

I hope I'm not the only one who lost it when the kid said "3D HEAD!".

Has there ever been an "x killer" that actually killed "x"?

Bricky

If it was some cheap VR knock-off to sell to uninformed consumers I could somewhat understand this thing from a shitty business perspective, but at this price... what the fuck are they thinking?

I just can't believe someone thought "Yeah, let's put a 3D tablet inside an enourmous headset, that seems like a good idea!" and made it into an actual product. I pity everyone who actually buys this.

E: Oh wait, seems like Alki David is behind this monstrosity. Not exactly surprised this is the work of that trolling billionaire.

Jarate

Banned
Honestly the tablet itself sounds pretty rad, bei able to stream to the tablet well and the ability to convert 2d to 3d well is actually pretty cool.

I just wish they didnt attach it to this

I guess its easier to sell 3d tech when you attach VIRTUAL REALITY to it

Why the ever loving fuck is there a child in rad 90s clothes telling me about this. Reminds me of old NES adverts. Needs a power glove.

Bricky

Honestly the tablet itself sounds pretty rad, bei able to stream to the tablet well and the ability to convert 2d to 3d well is actually pretty cool.

$349

Glasses free 3D is nothing new, not even in tablets. This is just a scam.

Tripolygon

Banned

You can buy that tablet from alibaba or many Chinese sites that sell internationally. Its like 3ds but an Android tablet.

magnumpy

holy crap, $600-$1,000? oculus rift is shooting for $300 for CV1 I believe...

any word on a discount if I sacrifice my first born child?

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/T232auj.jpg[/IMG]
Christ! I'll just strap a CRT to my head instead.

My word... This thing makes the Rift look a million times more attractive. Can't wait for the class action lawsuit from all the people who will inevitably get neck damage from this thing.

Artex

Banned
Lol that looks ridiculous. I'm sorry but I'm skeptical of everyone entering this race only because of the amount of funding that OR has; I have to put my eggs in their basket.

Krejlooc

Banned
Lol that looks ridiculous. I'm sorry but I'm skeptical of everyone entering this race only because of the amount of funding that OR has; I have to put my eggs in their basket.

People aren't entering this race because Oculus got paid quite a bit, they're entering the VR race because there is incredible amounts of cash flowing left and right all over, across multiple industries.

In short, these are similar to the dot-com bubble companies racing towards a goldrush.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Tom's Hardware said:
1. Take a glasses-free 3D tablet and a game controller.
2. Insert tablet into a colossal head-mounted enclosure.
3. There is no step 3. You're done!

This is essentially the same thing as holding a 3D tablet in front of your face and covering it all with a towel so you can't see anything else. I'm honestly not sure if the whole thing is a joke. I actually hope that it is, because I don't want to live in a world where anyone takes the 3D Head seriously, or even worse, assumes it offers an experience comparable to the Oculus Rift. But don't take our word for it; you can see exactly what we mean by looking at this product's inappropriate promotional video.

LOOOOO (catches breathe) OOOOOOL!

Krejlooc

Banned
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2tclqs/greetings_from_3d_head/

3d head (maybe?) employees posting on /r/oculus saying interesting things

In all honesty, we don't work directly with the product. We have little to do with it, except for the fact that we got to sit back and watch everything that happened at CES. But your thoughts have been considering by the people with common sense here. We work in a completely different department doing completely different things.
We "love" 3D Head as much as the next person.

I'm another employee chiming in here. The entire product was made by essentially 1 person. Yes, a single person. He's actually a very nice guy, there was an interview with him posted here a week or so ago.
The company we work for kind of likes to spin plates. Alki ventures into whatever he feels like on a whim, so we continued the work we were already doing while 3D Head started up here but separate from that work.
As shocking as this may sound, our company had no prior experience with gaming or VR tech.

Top Bottom