• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
I'm really interested. I was going to order from vr lens eu but they are out of the adapters. This seems like a better move, though, with these adapters. Definitely keep us posted on how yours work out.

There are quite a few reviews on the Oculus Reddit where the store owners are also active members. Apparently their cover is great and people really like these lenses. I'll post a review here or in the Oculus OT when mine get here, they come from Poland with apparently some Witcher stuff in the box for fun?? Hopefully they get here soon!

Just checked, the carrier Poczta Polska estimates it will take between 1-6 days from shipping to reach me. It shipped 2 days ago so let's hope

Jo-El

Definitely not normal, and almost certainly a software issue (driver, or Oculus installation, or something like that). You haven't set up system-wide super sampling or something, right?

I'm not the best at diagnosing problems with Oculus or such, so sorry.

I tried a reinstall and nothing; turning off ASW didn't fix it either. Just knowing it's not normal helps a lot, so thanks! I'll mess around with it a little more and if I can't find a solution I'll contact Oculus and see what they say.

I use WidmoVR lenses and they're freaking awesome. I bought the ones without blue light protection, they're just perfect. Way more comfortable than glasses and FOV is also improved for me.

That seals it for me, then. Going to get some to replace my VR Lens Lab lenses, which keep falling out.

I believe an Oculus Executive said on Reddit that all of the Amazon ordered bundles will be the one that comes with the Xbox controller. The new bundle is a separate listing anyway and it doesn't appear to be releasing on Amazon until August.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X8N1YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Good to know, thank you. Amazon just updated my headset delivery date to Sat/Sun so hopefully have everything this weekend!

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I went and bought Elite: Dangerous to try out in 2D/3D first (on my 4K 3D OLED TV) and I'm pretty happy with how the game looks and plays on that, making me reconsider getting a Rift. Image quality looks insane! So playing on the Rift will be a downgrade from that I guess? Also I dont think the Touch controllers are used in a meaningful way in Elite like other Rift games are?

Maybe I jump on board for the next generation of HMD's?

Convince me to get a Rift GAF!

Used triple screens for elite. Since getting the rift over a year ago I've never used it with elite again. Immersion more than makes up for resolution imo.

MazeHaze

Banned
I guess I'd be interested to try it out. I've been compensating for my lack of stereoscopic vision since birth so it's really not that big of a deal, but I don't know how it is going to look with the lenses so close to my face.

For example, when I go to the DMV and do the vision test if I just look forward normally I can't see the letters out of both eyes at once the other eye is just black. Where as in normal life when I look around I still have peripheral vision on the non dominant side (which I can change at will). It's kind of weird.

I could see it mattering more in certain games than others. Games where you have to dodge things for example would be more likely to not work for me where as just normal point and shoot stuff should be fine.
Another thing to keep in mind is with just one eye, it'll be like you're looking through a hole. The edge of the lense is visible all the way around, you stop noticing the inside edge of them though when your eyes interpret it as one image, similar to how you can see your nose all the time, but bigger. When I close one eye, that blending/mind trickery goes away.

TI82

Banned
I use WidmoVR lenses and they're freaking awesome. I bought the ones without blue light protection, they're just perfect. Way more comfortable than glasses and FOV is also improved for me.

Assuming you are in America, how long did yours take to get to you? Mine shipped 17th it says.

The Dude

Got my rift set up last night and I am just loving the hell out of vr in general, can't believe this is truly a thing now and feeling so awesome when in game. I couldn't pass on this bundle, feels good to be covered with rift and psvr.

Chronos is simply awesome, playing games in this manner I love because I don't always want to be doing something with my hands, so I absolutely love how games like this play and feel.

Mages tale is a purchase soon and same with the superhot bundle.

I'm stoked, what a deal at 399

TI82

Banned
Got a question for people on here, has anyone been able to get steam virtual theater to work? I get the prompt that games will play in it but they don't they just play on my monitor.

NimbusD

Fuck. I just discovered that third sensors are like fucking sold out everywhere. Ugh, time to really try to tighten up my 2 sensor setup, it's wonky af.

LOLCats

Banned
Fuck. I just discovered that third sensors are like fucking sold out everywhere. Ugh, time to really try to tighten up my 2 sensor setup, it's wonky af.

i was just about to post they were in stock at BB.com, i was able to order one and its preparing... but by the time i got here to post it went OOS!

Ehker

I found on Amazon I could get a Oculus Touch kit which comes with a sensor for just $31 more compared to just the sensor, so figured I'll take an extra pair of controllers in case I punch a wall and break them. ;)

The Dude

It shouldn't be tho, Im waiting for my 3rd sensor but I'm working 2 pretty well currently. Haven't really had any major issues.

Ehker

Just preordered Lone Echo, after enjoying exploring the ISS game so much, looking forward to more on a much bigger scale.

It shouldn't be tho, Im waiting for my 3rd sensor but I'm working 2 pretty well currently. Haven't really had any major issues.

Yeh, I'm doing pretty well with 2. Maybe adjust them? I moved mine to be higher and it's been really solid.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Should I buy games from Steam or from Oculus?

I will suggest Steam, as you can switch to other headset like Vive in future and still retain the library. Sure there's ReVive, but its not an official oculus support thing

Purchase adhesive 1/4" wall mounts for the sensors and usb extensions if you need them.

If you put one in front/above and the other behind/above 10-12 feet apart about 7 or 8 feet up facing down toward the center of your play space, you shouldn't have too many issues.

The Dude

I love the motion stuff but I gotta say games like chronos excites the living shit out of me because it's classic gaming intertwined with vr, the ol sit back and relax feel... It's a game changer. I just want more and more. I want plenty of great uses for the touch controls but man love that classic gaming and vr mix

gdt

I love the motion stuff but I gotta say games like chronos excites the living shit out of me because it's classic gaming intertwined with vr, the ol sit back and relax feel... It's a game changer. I just want more and more. I want plenty of great uses for the touch controls but man love that classic gaming and vr mix

Chronos was excellent. Fuuuuck that block puzzle towards the end though. It's unholy.

"Classic" feeling games with a controller have their limits I think. Because of the motion sickness.

Chronos was excellent. Fuuuuck that block puzzle towards the end though. It's unholy.

"Classic" feeling games with a controller have their limits I think. Because of the motion sickness.

Does it have even a decent story?

I'm probably gonna grab it when my Rift gets delivered regardless, but I would love an awesome Story driven RPG VR experience.

The Dude

I finally got my vr legs, but chronos hasn't given any type of motion sickness.

I think it's just incredible to be "in" the game with your character, just incredible

Wollan

I loved Chronos. Some will sniff on it for not truly being a full on VR extragavanza where you crawl under your livingroom table and juggle controllers in the air but... Chronos and Lucky's Tale remain some of my favorite VR experiences.

Chronos closest relative is Onimusha.
Sword combat w/light magic, upgrade path and puzzle solving. Fixed camera positions RE style. Ambient sounds above music. It's a must get.

gdt

Does it have even a decent story?

I'm probably gonna grab it when my Rift gets delivered regardless, but I would love an awesome Story driven RPG VR experience.

No. Story is nonsensical basically. Rushed ending too.
I finally got my vr legs, but chronos hasn't given any type of motion sickness.

I think it's just incredible to be "in" the game with your character, just incredible
Yeah Chronos gives no sickness because of the fixed camera. It was great. Just saying classic gaming in vr has a danger for motion sickness.

NimbusD

I found on Amazon I could get a Oculus Touch kit which comes with a sensor for just $31 more compared to just the sensor, so figured I'll take an extra pair of controllers in case I punch a wall and break them. ;)

Ooo, I might do this haha. I already have paint marks on the rings of my controllers from punching a few things haha.

Yeah, it was working ok, but I had 1 minor dead zone which made echo arena frustrating. So I did the 2 sensors across from each other, but now I have some issues with the tracking on the headset stuttering (like everything will just wave suddenly every once a while and it's a little dizzying), plus a few dead szones still.

Purchase adhesive 1/4" wall mounts for the sensors and usb extensions if you need them.

If you put one in front/above and the other behind/above 10-12 feet apart about 7 or 8 feet up facing down toward the center of your play space, you shouldn't have too many issues.

Yeah I have a shit ton of mounts because I'm a videographer. None adhesive though, I just put them on some clamps up higher on bookshelves and it seems to be working a bit better, just need to get (another) usb extension to get them where I want them. Is it ok if ONE of the sensors is usb 2.0? or do the first two HAVE to be 3.0? I feel like i've read different things.

ANyway, this seems to be working better, but I still have that 'wave' thing happening I mentioned above. Now that I'm typing it out, I think my bookshelf might just be wobbling lol. Ugh time to buy adhesive/screw mounts and another extension cord!

ElfArmy177

Awesome. Computer restarts every time I plug in the rift. Fucking great... Everything works fine until the rift gets plugged into usb and then it all goes to fucking hell

Edit: on a side note, fuck oculus for making these cables so god damn short. Fuck them for the confusion of usb issues... Jesus Christ I just wanna play and now all I have is issues with this stupid thing

Fracas

#fuckonami
Order I placed on Prime day still isn't in yet. Expected to ship maybe the 26th. Gift card has been delayed twice.

Still super pumped for VR but the waiting is killing me

TI82

Banned

It's fun so far but not gonna lie the beginning really spooked me how real they look. I havent even made it to the first combat I keep getting spooked by the environment lol

Effect

Well returned mine today. No hassle at all at Best Buy when I took it. Got all my money back. They just checked to make sure everything was included and looked good. Honestly I'm going to miss it but at the same time I don't think it's at a level where I want it to be when I look at my list of positives and negatives. If the visual quality is able to be improved greatly in the coming years I'd gladly hop back on board. However even with the discounted price that's way to much money for what is being offered and what my opinion ended up being in the end. The immersion factor and other positives just weren't strong enough to overcome other issues I was having.

Grats to those that do find it enjoyable and have more positives then negatives and end up keeping your purchases though!

ElyrionX

Awesome. Computer restarts every time I plug in the rift. Fucking great... Everything works fine until the rift gets plugged into usb and then it all goes to fucking hell

Edit: on a side note, fuck oculus for making these cables so god damn short. Fuck them for the confusion of usb issues... Jesus Christ I just wanna play and now all I have is issues with this stupid thing

I could not even start the oculusset.exe at first and had to spend 30 mins to find a solution. And then, I could not get the Xbox One controller's wireless adaptor to work, of all things. The whole process was rage-inducing.

The Dude

Well returned mine today. No hassle at all at Best Buy when I took it. Got all my money back. They just checked to make sure everything was included and looked good. Honestly I'm going to miss it but at the same time I don't think it's at a level where I want it to be when I look at my list of positives and negatives. If the visual quality is able to be improved greatly in the coming years I'd gladly hop back on board. However even with the discounted price that's way to much money for what is being offered and what my opinion ended up being in the end. The immersion factor and other positives just weren't strong enough to overcome other issues I was having.

Grats to those that do find it enjoyable and have more positives then negatives and end up keeping your purchases though!

My only thoughts to this is I think you're throwing in the towel way to soon, i haven't played everything obviously but it seems as if from what I gather devs are getting better and better with the tech, and more games are really going to pack a punch. Especially with the eventual skyrim and fallout type games hitting.

Just not sure I get how it's not immersive, it feels pretty immersive to me.

Any mounts you'd recommend? I just checked my sensor and usb extension lengths; it can reach my rear wall and front wall no problem. I really want to make 2 sensors work.
Also, on that note, what's the smallest space you can do for room scale?

Any mounts you'd recommend? I just checked my sensor and usb extension lengths; it can reach my rear wall and front wall no problem. I really want to make 2 sensors work.

I just got these today and put up the two sensors with them. They seem to be working pretty well.

Other than the setup saying the sensors shouldn't be more than 6 feet apart (which I just ignored) the setup was pretty smooth.

Well after reading that this sale price is gonna last a little while longer I'll try picking up a bundle from the local best buy since that seems like the best deal it looks like.

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QSFKJ8E/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great.

I don't think you'd want to use an area smaller than about 8' by 8'. You want to be able to spread your arms/legs in every direction and be able to take at least one step beyond that in each direction as well.

I believe an Oculus Executive said on Reddit that all of the Amazon ordered bundles will be the one that comes with the Xbox controller. The new bundle is a separate listing anyway and it doesn't appear to be releasing on Amazon until August.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X8N1YW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

image.php

Thank youuuuu

Izuna

Banned
So my mounts didn't arrive. It says "DELIVERED TO SAFE PLACE" but if you saw where I live you'd know that's totally fucking bullshit.

Amazon live chat said they could refund/replace but tbh I'm gunna wait a day or two in case the driver scanned it by accident as can happen.

It's atrocious behaviour that someone can claim "safe place" but leave no description.

Kudos to Amazon. Amazing company.

Effect

My only thoughts to this is I think you're throwing in the towel way to soon, i haven't played everything obviously but it seems as if from what I gather devs are getting better and better with the tech, and more games are really going to pack a punch. Especially with the eventual skyrim and fallout type games hitting.

Just not sure I get how it's not immersive, it feels pretty immersive to me.

It is/was immersive. It's just wasn't so immersive and or so enjoyable that it caused me to overlook a number of the other negatives of the experience. The negative column had to many entries that were significant for me. Things didn't balance out evenly in the end.

I honestly could not get over how things looked visually. I expected the lower resolution, screen door effect, etc. They were just to much of an issue for me and having worlds generated around me just didn't have a big enough impact. For others that could not be a problem at all. I wish I felt that way. An improvement visually could have made a difference. Also maybe it's because this wasn't my true first experience with VR. Modern game VR yes but not VR itself. I've been exposed to in different ways in the past. I think my original exposure to early VR was back in the early 90s during a field trip to the Liberty Science Center in New Jersey. There was big early VR setup there that I got to experience. So nothing done today hits me with the big omg factor. I've never actually had that when I've originally lookd at what was being done with the Rift, Vive, etc. Same with motion controls as I played a lot of the Wii and games on it. I'm impressed with how far it's come though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom