• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
General question: is Oculus/Facebook still going to investing in new exclusives? I've seen the reddit thread with new upcoming games, but what I don't understand is why FB is investing so much money in hardcore gaming content. And wouldn't it make more sense for them to invest in a mobile platform like Gear VR?

I tried quite a lot of games and demo's etc, and the Oculus titles are the most 'AAA' ones, so lets hope that they keep investing in those games.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
General question: is Oculus/Facebook still going to investing in new exclusives? I've seen the reddit thread with new upcoming games, but what I don't understand is why FB is investing so much money in hardcore gaming content. And wouldn't it make more sense for them to invest in a mobile platform like Gear VR?

I tried quite a lot of games and demo's etc, and the Oculus titles are the most 'AAA' ones, so lets hope that they keep investing in those games.

They are hemmoraging money and want to see adoption. Also, those investments get a long tail and will most likely be profitable in the lobg run as new owners buy the games over the next few years.

Soroc

Between this thread and my buddy trying the rift while he was in Germany, I walked into Best Buy and impulse bought it. Didn't know the 399 sale was still going on. The best buy bundle had the wireless xbone controller and the free eve valkyrie too. Set it all up last night and as someone who had a dk2 and sold it thinking VR is a cool novelty but isn't "there" yet, man I'll eat crow on that. The touch controllers are fantastic, my setup has almost perfect room scale with just 2 sensors but going to get the third to cover a little sync issue in my back right quandrant. That robot thing that first introduces you "mind blown" fantastic presentation and very intuitive for first timers. One of my issues back in the beginning of vr was looking down and seeing virtual hands that didnt mimic my finger movements, man the touch blows me away with a thumb and pointer finger accuracy and gave me that "vr" has arrived type moment of immersion. I didnt play anything else last night just stayed in tje headset getting used to the store and downloading a ridiculous amount of stuff to try over the weekend. Oculus did it right with this price point and I'm happy to be back on the virtual hype train!

They are hemmoraging money and want to see adoption. Also, those investments get a long tail and will most likely be profitable in the lobg run as new owners buy the games over the next few years.

Yeah, didn't think of that, maybe the rumored next stand alone Oculus headset, will play those games (with the resolution and graphical settings turned down). That's instantly a good library.

The only thing I'm missing from the Oculus store are the non-VR applications. There's no real life rollercoaster ride or something like that, or even Netflix.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Me! What's it to ya?

Edit: ok maybe not shit post, but I thought it was a stupid gimmick. Until room scale and motion controllers. I still think phone VR is stupid gimmick bullshit tho

Have you tried Notes on Blindness on the Gear? Or Fantastic Beasts on Daydream?

There are some really exceptional VR pieces on mobile.

Writing off mobile VR after trying something shitty is like writing off the 3DS because you played Petz 3D.

Izuna

Banned
y'all think I'm rich with these suggestions

(thanks)

I was sure that the locomotion demo would do it but it didn't.

Izuna

Banned
Some people don't really get motion sickness. Your just lucky. It isn't a good feeling.

tumblr_nailjylZrT1s2awcjo1_500.gif

--

terrible

Banned
Felt the same since starting my vr journey a month or so ago with psvr, and rift takes it to even another step.

Playing games like chronos is fucking incredible

Lucky's Tale made me dizzy pretty much instantly with the way the camera slowly moved on its own. Does Chronos have a similar camera setup? If so I'd definitely have to pass until I get my VR legs. Nothing else I've tried has bothered me yet though (racing sims, robo recall, google earth vr).

Lucky's Tale made me dizzy pretty much instantly with the way the camera slowly moved on its own. Does Chronos have a similar camera setup? If so I'd definitely have to pass until I get my VR legs. Nothing else I've tried has bothered me yet though (racing sims, robo recall, google earth vr).
No Chronos camera pos is fixed. It's amazing, and as safe as vr comes for Nausea.

low-G

So my goodness...

Nothing makes me sick it seems

;( I want to know the feeling

Swap your video card for a 560, crank up the settings, have people run around with your sensors and drink milk that's been sitting out for a few weeks.

c00l3ru

Ok guys. I think Lone Echo is vr's first killer app. I've played for a few hours now and the level of emersion and presence is second to none.
I am blown away. If you have Oculus and touch it's a no brainer.

vermadas

So my goodness...

Nothing makes me sick it seems

;( I want to know the feeling

Volo Airsport was the closest to making me feel ill. I tried to fly without watching any tutorials and ended up hurtling toward the Earth while spinning in random directions at high speed... Oh, and the performance was crappy also.

I don't recommend the game, especially now that they've abandoned it unfinished. But if you're desperate...

The Dude

Anyone buy the summer adventure pack for 69.99?

Sounds like a nice bundle for 4 games. Curious how pool is for sports pack.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok guys. I think Lone Echo is vr's first killer app. I've played for a few hours now and the level of emersion and presence is second to none.
I am blown away. If you have Oculus and touch it's a no brainer.

I agree. It was super polished and very fun in the hour I put in. Can't wait to get back to it.

Hexer06

I bought the pack, but I'm still waiting for my headset to get here, lol. I've heard, and seen, that the Pool is pretty good in SportsBar VR. I'm more excited to play I Expect You to Die and Raw Data though. I think The Climb is gonna make me sick, but I'll find out. :D

OH MY GOD......Just got my oculus rift set up.....Not as "sharp" as I'd expect but yooooooo

Just the little Intro with the Robot thing in the desk area was AMAZING AS FUCK. Holy shit did I ever sleep on this thing.

Need some help.....

So, the Play area I have set up for my rift is in front of the BACK of my PC monitor....

so my Computer is set up behind my play area. The problem is when I set up Rift, It made it so that I basically have to Face the back of My monitor. Is there anyway to make it, so that I have to face 180 from that?

vermadas

OH MY GOD......Just got my oculus rift set up.....Not as "sharp" as I'd expect but yooooooo

Just the little Intro with the Robot thing in the desk area was AMAZING AS FUCK. Holy shit did I ever sleep on this thing.

Need some help.....

So, the Play area I have set up for my rift is in front of the BACK of my PC monitor....

so my Computer is set up behind my play area. The problem is when I set up Rift, It made it so that I basically have to Face the back of My monitor. Is there anyway to make it, so that I have to face 180 from that?

During the setup process, before you set up Guardian, it asks you to orient the Touch controller forward in the middle of your play space. So you'll want to run the setup again and point it in the right direction. If you are running two sensors on your computer desk though, you don't want them to be at your back.

During the setup process, before you set up Guardian, it asks you to orient the Touch controller forward in the middle of your play space. So you'll want to run the setup again and point it in the right direction. If you are running two sensors on your computer desk though, you don't want them to be at your back.

thanks.....real dumb question, but how do I re-set it up?

also, is there a way to go back into that little intro with the robot again once you are out of it?

vermadas

also, is there a way to go back into that little intro with the robot again once you are out of it?

Going completely from memory here, but in the Oculus app, if you go to Devices, there should be a drop-down that has that option.

And yes, the demo you played is called First Contact, and it should be in your library.

theRizzle

I don't think you can re-launch it from the headset by default, but you can launch it from the Oculus program on your computer under Tutorials. It's called First Contact. I ended up searching First Contact on the Store and then redownloading it (I guess?) and now it's in my Library.

jrcbandit

Go into Tutorials section of Oculus App under Library (not in the headset itself). First Contact is what you want to click on to run. There's probably a way to do it from inside the headset too...

Not sure how to re-run setup, except you can go into settings, devices and click on sensor and click redo sensor setup.

Anyone know the best rollercoaster game or app for Oculus? There is NoLimits 2 Rollercoaster Simulator on Steam but I definitely want to wait for a sale on that.

Pool in sportsbar is awesome. My brother bought it for me so we could play together (he lives across the country from me), and it's crazy how easy it is to convince myself that I'm really playing pool. The physics are spot on.

The Dude

Pool in sportsbar is awesome. My brother bought it for me so we could play together (he lives across the country from me), and it's crazy how easy it is to convince myself that I'm really playing pool. The physics are spot on.

That's so awesome, how do you actually make shots? Tryin to envision how that works. I can't wait to play it

charpunk

So happy I picked up Lone Echo. It's everything I wanted Adrift to be, and more. Lot's of great design decisions between the locomotion, the way you interact with your human buddy, as well as interacting with the environment.

Without a doubt the best looking VR game to date as well, it's stunning.

Soi-Fong

Lone Echo is FUCKING AMAZING!! Only played half an hour so far. I have 360 degrees and room scale with 3 sensors and it definitely helps. Wish I had a better card than my 980 Ti so I can supersample a bit, but damn the game is gorgeous. There's sooo much detail in the world and the interactions are actually really well done.

No motion sickness at all for me even when flying around like crazy. This game was just made for VR and takes advantage of all that VR has to offer. The locomotion system is just made for VR. It breaks all the rules of VR, yet I am completely fine.

I'm really recommending that for people on the fence here to buy Lone Echo. It is a legit VR experience through and through and RAD deserves the support here.

It's good to see the Oculus funds being to good use to really fund these well-polished and well-made games. It's been a long time coming, but goddamn am I glad to witness this.

kewlmyc

Getting mine tomorrow, but with me moving soon, probably wont' get a good chance to play it.

Luckily my roommate got one and let me try. Pretty damn cool. Robo Recall is pretty damn fun.

Crash331

Facebook is trying to pull an Amazon or a Walmart before it.

Get in, undercut prices, establish market dominance and then rake in the cash.

My headset says July 21-28 delivery and touch controllers say July 26-August 2.

Gift card shipped today. I ordered on the second wave during Prime Day

Amazon pls

I got it during second wave on Prime day, (one of the first I'd imagine since I posted the "IT'S BACK UP" comment) got my gift card last week, my controllers on Saturday and my HMD is coming on Saturday.

That's so awesome, how do you actually make shots? Tryin to envision how that works. I can't wait to play it

Kind of hard to explain, but basically the front of the cue is stuck to your left hand and the back is stuck to your right hand (if you are playing right handed). You hold your hands as if you were holding a real cue, and you shoot with the same motion you'd use in real life. You also have the option of locking your aim point on the ball with the trigger, which lets you get really exact with your shot (you can add spin to the ball, etc)

Fucking a man there are golf games, cloudlands and vr online golf...who's played either of them?

I haven't, but there's table tennis on Steam VR which is really good, forget what it's called. I refunded it, but that's not to say it isn't cool. I think I just bought Smash Arena instead or something.

But it feels pretty close to real ping pong.

Lone Echo is FUCKING AMAZING!! Only played half an hour so far. I have 360 degrees and room scale with 3 sensors and it definitely helps. Wish I had a better card than my 980 Ti so I can supersample a bit, but damn the game is gorgeous. There's sooo much detail in the world and the interactions are actually really well done.

No motion sickness at all for me even when flying around like crazy. This game was just made for VR and takes advantage of all that VR has to offer. The locomotion system is just made for VR. It breaks all the rules of VR, yet I am completely fine.

I'm really recommending that for people on the fence here to buy Lone Echo. It is a legit VR experience through and through and RAD deserves the support here.

It's good to see the Oculus funds being to good use to really fund these well-polished and well-made games. It's been a long time coming, but goddamn am I glad to witness this.

Oculus needed this game. They've put good stuff out there but this game has the cool campaign of Lone Echo and the lasting competitive power of Echo Arena. I think word of mouth will bring some people in, especially since the Rift is so cheap now.

I haven't, but there's table tennis on Steam VR which is really good, forget what it's called. I refunded it, but that's not to say it isn't cool. I think I just bought Smash Arena instead or something.

But it feels pretty close to real ping pong.

Oculus needed this game. They've put good stuff out there but this game has the cool campaign of Lone Echo and the lasting competitive power of Echo Arena. I think word of mouth will bring some people in, especially since the Rift is so cheap now.

Fortunately with ReVive, nothing is really vendor locked.

Edit: Holy shit, already done.
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/1.1.9

NimbusD

sjdf;lakshdgf;lahs

So no one is having trouble with echo arena? Is it just me? I'm not seeing this anywhere. I've spent an hour now pressing join match from the lobby, to eventually join a match then just get ascreen that says 'internal server error' and then kicks me out to the main meny. Every time. havent been able to play a single match, fuck this.

ok, spent about 4 hours with my Rift... damn that was great. Superhot is incredible. Robot recall is fun as hell, and Echo Arena is like being in tron. Its just I suck at moving around in Echo Arena, I dont know if its my sensor set up or if I just suck at it.

Now with all that.... my biggest issue with this is sweating in it. I dont really fog up the glasses but I do sweat alot in it. Any workarounds for that or just gotta deal with it?

Crash331

Does anyone make a neat HMD extension cable? Meaning a cable that has both USB and HDMI in one? I'd spend extra on that instead of velcroing or taping 2 cables together.

Now with all that.... my biggest issue with this is sweating in it. I dont really fog up the glasses but I do sweat alot in it. Any workarounds for that or just gotta deal with it?

I had the same problem with PSVR. I just had to deal with it with PSVR because of where it was set up, but with Rift I am going to get a small desk fan and have it blowing in my face.

I have a Nest thermostat, maybe I need to cook up a script of IFTTT rule so that it turns down the temp when I launch Oculus, lol.

The weirdest thing just happened. I was trying to join a game in Echo Arena and it was unable to connect, but when it brought me back to the menu it said "new game" instead of the standard multiplayer options. Went to it, and it seems that Lone Echo was loading even though I don't have it? But when I spawned, it spawned me with a HUD in empty space just sitting there waiting...

The Dude

ok, spent about 4 hours with my Rift... damn that was great. Superhot is incredible. Robot recall is fun as hell, and Echo Arena is like being in tron. Its just I suck at moving around in Echo Arena, I dont know if its my sensor set up or if I just suck at it.

Happened to me a lot at first with my psvr, even with a fan pointed at me. Now it doesn't happen, I still use a fan just because but getting used to vr will help that.

TI82

Banned
Rock Band VR is quite fun but yes I also get sweaty using it. Hoping the Widmovr pad cover and the prescription lenses will reduce a lot of the sweat.

also that spiderman game is kind of silly but the tracking is not good on it or maybe it's just my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom