• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with 1, I dont agree with 2. There are quite a lot of deep games on Steam that use VR pretty good. Solus Project, Assembly, Narcosis, Obduction, House of the Dying Sun etc. from smaller devs.

Also Elite in VR and non-VR are imo two different experiences.

I also agree with 1 and disagree with 2. If you have glasses, the rift is not ideal. But there are many deep games. Also, gen 2 whenever it comes ( 2018 holiday at the earliest) is unlikely to fix Teleport/Navigation other than likely being wireless.

Dave_6

I do a LOT of sim racing so this is incredibly tempting. Especially since I built a new PC last week that is a 1080ti + 7700K so it should handle VR fairly easily.

Blam

2) Lack of deep games. I've seen some games that look neat, but very few exclusives that I think would hook me for a long time. Stuff like Elite: Dangerous is neat, but I can already play that in non-VR.

Yes well these are being made Echo Arena is being made by Ready At Dawn the same guys who made Order 1886 with a 4v4 multiplayer, and story mode.

Is this even playable on the Rift? Maybe through some hacks?

No, sadly I don't think so. I played it on the PSVR. It's the best thing on VR right now.

Unless perhaps, you're into one of the genres that really benefits from it. I imagine Project Cars 2 and Elite Dangerous are pretty neat experiences in Rift, but if you don't like those games then I think the majority of VR experiences leave a lot to be desired.

"I do a LOT of sim racing so this is incredibly tempting. Especially since I built a new PC last week that is a 1080ti + 7700K so it should handle VR fairly easily."

If you don't have a triple monitor setup, you should buy this. If you do, you should still buy it to see if you prefer it over the triple monitor setup.

With the glasses thing...the glasses are only a concern if you are farsighted right? It shouldn't be a problem if you are near sighted? right?

No. It depends on what kind of frames you have. It doesnt have anything to do with your eyesight.

Vive and Oculus are just too narrow for square framed glasses and the headset presses the frames against your face, so after 15-20 minutes it might hurt. You can loosen the straps, but at the same time the FOV will become smaller, since your eyes are further away.

I've searched, and it seems people are playing it, but not officially, of course.

RE7 VR mode has a 1 year timed exclusivity. Officially it would be available next January.

Blam

The USB situation for the Rift is the weird thing, it needs just so many ports.

Can you at least use a hub, or something like that?

I've searched, and it seems people are playing it, but not officially, of course.

I believe you can?

Dave_6

"I do a LOT of sim racing so this is incredibly tempting. Especially since I built a new PC last week that is a 1080ti + 7700K so it should handle VR fairly easily."

If you don't have a triple monitor setup, you should buy this. If you do, you should still buy it to see if you prefer it over the triple monitor setup.

Nope, just a single 27" 1440p G-Sync display. I was thinking about doing a dedicated sim rig with triple 1080p screens at some point but that could be a ways off.

Tigress

While this is kind of tempting, there's just too many niggling things that add up for me.

1) VR isn't comfortable for those with glasses, and some in the thread have stated the Rift is one of the worst offenders.

I've used Rift and PSVR both. I have glasses. Neither are horrible. PSVR was better but if I had wanted a rift the glasses thing would not have been the dealkiller at all (in fact overall rift was a far better experience and I wanted to like psvr as since I own a PS4 it's the cheapest option for me). In fact if FB didn't own it and apparently some sleezy people associated with occulus I would have considered this deal even though I'm not ready for vr yet - waiting for fallout and still making up my mind if I want to spend the money as I'll have to build a windows pc completely from scratch too as my computer is a Mac so vr is going to be very pricey for me.

No. It depends on what kind of frames you have. It doesnt have anything to do with your eyesight.

Vive and Oculus are just too narrow for square framed glasses and the headset presses the frames against your face, so after 15-20 minutes it might hurt. You can loosen the straps, but at the same time the FOV will become smaller, since your eyes are further away.

what I mean is....if you're near sighted, you wouldn't need to wear glasses with it, since the screen is right there in front of your eyes right? I haven't used a vive or a oculus, so I don't know, but I am assuming if you're near sighted, you wouldn't need your glasses... (unless you have a high astigmatism while being near sighted I guess)

What's the VIVE exclusives situation? The price difference between this and VIVE is huge in Canada ($550 vs $1150), but it looks like all the upcoming Bethesda stuff is VIVE exclusive? Are other things VIVE exclusive?

I don't know if I want to invest $550 into something when a bunch of stuff like fallout and doom can't be played on it.

Tigress

what I mean is....if you're near sighted, you wouldn't need to wear glasses with it, since the screen is right there in front of your eyes right? I haven't used a vive or a oculus, so I don't know, but I am assuming if you're near sighted, you wouldn't need your glasses... (unless you have a high astigmatism while being near sighted I guess)

That probably depends on how nearsighted you are. I'm pretty sure I still need glasses for any of them (I have to have my hand maybe at most 2 inches to be able to see it clearly). But I was able to use glasses with the rift though getting it on without knocking off my glasses was a little obnoxious but doable.

vermadas

What's the VIVE exclusives situation? The price difference between this and VIVE is huge in Canada ($550 vs $1150), but it looks like all the upcoming Bethesda stuff is VIVE exclusive? Are other things VIVE exclusive?

I don't know if I want to invest $550 into something when a bunch of stuff like fallout and doom can't be played on it.

So first off, since I've seen people talking about exclusives: There is not really such a thing, currently, as a VR exclusive on PC. All SteamVR games work on both Vive and Rift (with Touch Controllers), even if they don't say they do. Most Oculus Rift "exclusives" work on Vive with Revive, very few have issues.

But you won't see Oculus Rift exclusives on Steam, they'll be on the Oculus Home store.

Bookoo

The USB situation for the Rift is the weird thing, it needs just so many ports.

Can you at least use a hub, or something like that?

You can use a hub. My friend used a thunderbolt hub and has all of his devices in that.

enewtabie

Oh man. I'm so tempted by this. Got about 400 in gift cards for my Birthday and never used them. I've been wanting to get into VR but only ever looked at the Vive and the price is too high for me. I've got a 6700k/1070 so should really much issue with VR,correct?

Since I don't know. Is this more of a seated experience or do you move around? How much room do I need? Thanks

"Nope, just a single 27" 1440p G-Sync display. I was thinking about doing a dedicated sim rig with triple 1080p screens at some point but that could be a ways off."

It's a no-brainer. Every major sim right now supports VR, except Automobilista. A VR headset is dramatically cheaper than any half-decent triple monitor setup.

rtcn63

I know both can do seated experiences, but if I just want to sit there with an XB1 controller, does the Rift have the better catalog of those games? Also I'm worried about investing in an ecosystem that isn't Steam, which from what I've been reading has the higher marketshare on PC.

And does the base Rift package come with an XB1 controller? I wouldn't mind two.

Oh man. I'm so tempted by this. Got about 400 in gift cards for my Birthday and never used them. I've been wanting to get into VR but only ever looked at the Vive and the price is too high for me. I've got a 6700k/1070 so should really much issue with VR,correct?

Since I don't know. Is this more of a seated experience or do you move around? How much room do I need? Thanks

1070 is fine. For touch experiences Im using a 4-5 by 6-7ft experience which is fine.

Blam

I know both can do seated experiences, but if I just want to sit there with an XB1 controller, is the Rift better game-wise? Also I'm worried about investing in an ecosystem that isn't Steam, which from what I've been reading has the higher marketshare on PC.

And does the base Rift package come with an XB1 controller? I wouldn't mind two.

I mean hey it some with an Xbox controller and the wireless dongle for it.

Bookoo

No, you still need contacts or glasses. The device is stereo3D and it is simulating your real vision, it isn't simply a screen in front of your face.

The Oculus is a little tight for glasses and the Vive was marginally more comfortable (for my frames), but if I wanted to play VR I normally just put contacts in.

At this price is a must buy imho if your PC is good.

The only thing that the Vive does better is roomscale but with 3 sensor on the Rift you get a pretty much awesome experience too.

It's crazy I paid the double of the price to buy it this December.

Bookoo

At this price is a must buy imho if your PC is good.

The only thing that the Vive does better is roomscale but with 3 sensor on the Rift you get a pretty much awesome experience too.

It's crazy I paid the double of the price to buy it this December.

Yea Vive has a much easier setup for Roomscale, but until these headsets are wireless I have a had time enjoying them. I just bought a 3rd sensor for my Rift, but I still use snap turn instead of actually turning around.

Those are just free on steam no need to buy any of them. Oculus works on steam.

Also a chance that this sale is them clearing warehouses for the Gen 2 of the Rift.

Actually most of these are on the Oculus store now too. No way Rift2 or Vive2 are coming this year. Next Holiday is most likely.

I know both can do seated experiences, but if I just want to sit there with an XB1 controller, does the Rift have the better catalog of those games?

It has, but 95% of new VR games are touch based.

What Oculus said before that most games will still be "traditional control based games" isnt true and they stopped saying that when they released Touch.

Guys the bundle itself comes with 2 cameras right ? 1 included in Rift itself and the second one is included in the Touch. Do I need anything besides that setup ?

Comes with 2 Camera's, an XBox Controller, and Two Touch Controllers. For robust roomscale games you can buy a third camera if you feel you need it.

MUnited83

For you.
HTC Vive is better though, right?
By far. Better tracking, it can play Rift exclusives using Revive. And while Oculus controller is better right now, the SteamVR Knuckles might see a release this year or the next and those look like they will be superior to Oculus Touch.

Matthew23

Wow at that price. I was locked in on a Vive for this holiday, just waiting to see what MS and LG are going put out. But this is going to be hard to resist.

By far. Better tracking, it can play Rift exclusives using Revive. And while Oculus controller is better right now, the SteamVR Knuckles might see a release this year or the next and those look like they will be superior to Oculus Touch.

Disagree that it is better by far. In fact I would argue the opposite and I own both. There are tradeoffs ofcourse but the vive gets hot on your face after awhile, is less comfortable, doesn't come with integrated headphones and the touch controllers are better.

ElfArmy177

Purchased.. did I make a mistake? Ugh that's still a ton of money... Do the serious Sam games work better with room scale? What about fallout vr?

Far ? The only big gap between the two is money.

Roomscale is better but not that better if you use a 3rd sensor. Let's say you buy the new strap for the Vive you basically spent double the amount of a Rift for better roomscale and the need to use an external software to play the best game available as of right now.

Mupod

damn I might go for this. Looks like 549.99 canadian for the rift+touch bundle on amazon, that sounds about right?

quick question, I have SLI 970s, how is SLI support for VR in general? I remember Durante sounding very optimistic about it early on but who knows how things ended up.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
This deal last for 6 weeks, I would suggest be a bit patient just in case there some kind of upgrade or Vive discount matching.

Unless Oculus is doing this because they are losing in player base.

The lenses in the Oculus headset give the screen a focal distance of 2 meters, so it depends on your ability to see that comfortably.

Whoa, if you PC game and you're interested in VR, buy! Have my Rift and love it. Price is insane.

Tip: definitely get a 3rd sensor if you want roomscale. 2 will work fine with 360 degree tracking but 3 will get the most out of it and makes it comparable to Vive. Also, buy some cheap camera wall mounts and post them up about 8' high.

Xander51

I just bought the Rift last week at Best Buy when they had the deal where it came with a $150 Gift Card. Now it's just a straight $200 which is obviously better, but do you think I could somehow go back and get the difference? I ordered online and did a store pickup.

Best Buy has price protection during the return period, so if it was last week you should be good to go. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-to...ee/pcmcat297300050000.c?id=pcmcat297300050000

I've used this on headphones before when a sudden sale happened.

Nope, just a single 27" 1440p G-Sync display. I was thinking about doing a dedicated sim rig with triple 1080p screens at some point but that could be a ways off.

A triple screen setup could be cheaper, but it's definitely more of an issue, unless you have a dedicated room for it (and even then, it's a lot of space).

Having used both HTC and Rift, I'd say for sim racing the Rift is better as it's lighter and more comfortable over long periods.

Just don't expect the same visual clarity as your g-sync monitor. Immersion is on another level entirely though, even compared to a triple screen (even compared to a big triple screen setup, which is rarely the case).

Renekton

This deal last for 6 weeks, I would suggest be a bit patient just in case there some kind of upgrade or Vive discount matching.

Unless Oculus is doing this because they are losing in player base.
Oh man I already put my order down, hopefully no buyer's remorse

Yeah I've read that but I don't think it works quite right without official support. It's a lot of work to get a game like that working in VR and I do doubt that modders can hack something together that works well, or is even considered VR at all.

Looking at the videos, it looks like they just got it working with the Occlus screen, and added head tracking. I wouldn't try that unless you're very good with VR motion sickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom