• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookoo

Will my i5-2500K, 1070, 8GB RAM rig be able to run VR games?

I had a 2500k and it worked well, but I eventually upgraded to make sure I had enough USB 3.0 ports for touch. However since then they have reduced the min req even farther to the point to where USB 2.0 ports work well enough.

Steel

Banned
Great.. So I have to spend an extra $100 or however much Knuckles is gonna go for along with the $800 the Vive already costs. With the Rift, I just need an extra sensor that allows for room-tracking that matches the Vive.

I'm sorry, but the Vive is better in some ways, but not $500 better.

I wouldn't say Vive is better by far. An Oculus with an extra camera has the same room tracking and the controllers are better for a lot of things.

You should run valves SteamVR Performance Test. You're fine with the GPU Ram, but not sure about the CPU.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

The cpu is below spec, but if it's overclocked enough it might be fine.

llien

Purchased and then canceled... Vr games are hella pricy. I'll wait for version 2 with a better screen and room scale.

Waiting long enough (mere 8 years) might bring us even cooler things: By a person who worked on Oculus:

Former Facebook exec wants to make us telepathic by 2025 The founder of a new startup is working on a "thinking cap" that could see inside our minds.
"Openwater is creating a device that can enable us to see inside our brains or bodies in great detail. With this comes the promise of new abilities to diagnose and treat disease and well beyond - communicating with thought alone."
https://www.cnet.com/news/telepathy...epsen-mri-mind-reading-mri-wearable-facebook/

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think their next targets - foveated rendering and quality wireless are really long ways off?
Gut says couple of years for these to come into fruition. 2019 should be doable I feel. Not quite certain on the foveated rendering support across the board for next iteration but by god I hope they nail this. Wish we'd start getting more concrete info about direction with these next iteration high end HMDs though lol. I'm impatient when it comes to VR tech advancement it seems.

4k & wireless... please and thank you. Sadly it looks like late 2018 or early 2019 before that comes out.

I am really interested to see what they show off at Connect in October this year.
4K custom OLED panels & great wireless support are definitely the bare minimum for next iteration of high end PC VR HMDs. I'm also looking forward to what they show and if they drop more juicy tidbits of what they're shooting for in their next iteration.

DirtyLarry

Okay. I did not see this was going to last for 6 weeks until just now. I am going to do the responsible thing then.

Thursday night we have a new dog coming for a 3 day test run to see if they will become a part of my family or not, and if they do I imagine I am going to need to spend a decent amount of money on stuff for them. If not, I will spend that money on this bundle. No doubt.

StereoVsn

Gut says couple of years for these to come into fruition. 2019 should be doable I feel. Not quite certain on the foveated rendering support across the board for next iteration but by god I hope they nail this. Wish we'd start getting more concrete info about direction with these next iteration high end HMDs though lol. I'm impatient when it comes to VR tech advancement it seems.

4K custom OLED panels & great wireless support are definitely the bare minimum for next iteration of high end PC VR HMDs. I'm also looking forward to what they show and if they drop more juicy tidbits of what they're shooting for in their next iteration.
The goals above seem reasonable for about 2020 considering that we would want to run all of that at 90-120 frames and with 4K per eye that will take some serious horse power.

Consider that 1080TI is 11.3 tflops so with 30% compounded increase per year or so we will be around 20 tflops somewhere in 2019. I am not certain if that's enough to drive 4K per eye resolution even with foveated at high frames per second but it certainly will be exciting. Even then that will be significantly higher then $400, 2 years away and would require a high end PC upgrade.

Protein

Banned
Just impulse bought the shit out of this. Fucking GAF.

What are the list of games I can play for this? Aside from indie VRs? Stuff like Fallout and Amnesia?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The goals above seem reasonable for about 2020 considering that we would want to run all of that at 90-120 frames and with 4K per eye that will take some serious horse power.

Consider that 1080TI is 11.3 tflops so with 30% compounded increase per year or so we will be around 20 tflops somewhere in 2019. I am not certain if that's enough to drive 4K per eye resolution even with foveated at high frames per second but it certainly will be exciting. Even then that will be significantly higher then $400, 2 years away and would require a high end PC upgrade.
I'm also quite excited about shortcuts and new techniques VR devs have specifically learned from working on first iteration titles. I just praaaaay that foveated rendering has matured a hell of a lot by then. VR desperately needs this once we're approaching 4k+ per eye at 120fps+.

The impulse is real. VR seems like it's in a place now where the wife and i could actually spend some time with it... more than just "experiences" coming out now. Didnt know this was going for 6 weeks though! I'll have to do the grown-up thing and wait it out and see what happens with the Vive.

In case anybody missed it, best buy is also doing a guaranteed $75 trade in for any old working laptop. I have a 10 year old duo core laptop that got me $75

That's probably going toward a Rift now

hwalker84

In case anybody missed it, best buy is also doing a guaranteed $75 trade in for any old working laptop. I have a 10 year old duo core laptop that got me $75

That's probably going toward a Rift now

Yeah I'm grabbing an old piece of doo doo from work and I already have $100 in rewards. I'm definitely buying one today.

StereoVsn

I'm also quite excited about shortcuts and new techniques VR devs have specifically learned from working on first iteration titles. I just praaaaay that foveated rendering has matured a hell of a lot by then. VR desperately needs this once we're approaching 4k+ per eye at 120fps+.
Yeap, that's the big question. If Nvidia/AMD, headset makers and game Devs can deliver on foveated rendering in this sort of a headset that will be a game changer (literally :p). Of course it will still be expensive so $400 now to tool around VR ain't bad for the next couple years.

Zurick

Banned
How is this compared to the vive?

Can someone give me a solid pros vs cons? (Especially in the game library department)

Exuro

Can someone give me a solid pros vs cons? (Especially in the game library department)
Seeing as the Vive is $800 + $100 for the audio strap the Rift is easily a much better choice for the price. Oculus can use Oculus Home(Vive users can use as well with 3rd party software) and Steam while Vive is just Steam. Having both there aren't really a ton of differences, and they really aren't enough to sway a $400 to $900 purchase. If you're interested in VR and have a capable rig get the Rift deal.

My library is on Steam. Are there issues getting this to work seamlessly with SteamVR? That's all I need to know.
I haven't personally used my Rift on Steam(also have a Vive), but games on Steam support both Oculus SDK as well as SteamVR(which can be used with the Rift) so you shouldn't have any(many?) issues.

ElyrionX

You should run valves SteamVR Performance Test. You're fine with the GPU Ram, but not sure about the CPU.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

If your games do lag then the Async Spacewarp will pretty much lessen the lag to the point that it's not noticable.

I had a 2500k and it worked well, but I eventually upgraded to make sure I had enough USB 3.0 ports for touch. However since then they have reduced the min req even farther to the point to where USB 2.0 ports work well enough.

I have the same specs but with 16GB of RAM and have had zero performance issues with my HTC Vive.

Thanks guys. Impulse bought. If I have to upgrade my PC, so be it; it's about time anyway lol.

Vic20

Vive

+ full room VR
+ slightly larger viewing area
- no integrated audio (instead has earbud plug in)
+ growing library, not quite as good as OR

Oculus

+best software library
+most comfortable head mounted display
- not really designed for full room VR

Jimrpg

You know guys, maybe Vive will discount their headset too. The Rift is going to be discounted for 6 weeks isn't it?

Mobius 1

Man. I could be playing Asseto Corsa in VR tonight.

I thnk this is happening. Glad Palmer Luckey left the company as I won't feel as morally corrupt for supporting Oculus.

Library is more or less the same. You can play Steam games on the Rift and Oculus Home games on ReVive. Oculus has some of their games for free if you have a Rift though. And some games may not work as well on Steam for Oculus Touch, but a vast majority are fine.

As far as pros and cons...this is someone who owns a Rift though, so ya know. But I have tried the Vive.

Vive:
-Better tracking system.
-More add-ons if you like tinkering, but of course this is costly. Vive has wireless coming out for example.

Rift:
-Better motion controls (currently). Vive is coming out with some that seem to be an improvement even over the Touch. The one thing that keeps me from being sure is analogs on the Touch are really nice. Some of the shooters I play with analog locomotion/snap turning just wouldn't be as good with a touch pad.
-lighter headset.
-and now, price. Like, big time.

There are a few other things, but I think those are the most important. And the tracking system with the Rift is still phenomenal with 3 sensors wall mounted (which is an additional 60 bucks, plus a few bucks for the mounting hardware which I see as almost necessary). There is near 0 occlusion as long as your sensors are set up correctly.

edit: sorry, I gave pros but not really the cons. I guess a pro for one is a con for the other. Seriously though, you can't go wrong either way, they're very similar experiences. But at 400 bucks it's now as cheap as PSVR so...

Leatherface

Vive

+ full room VR

Oculus

+best software library

I would add to the pluses on the Vive that most Oculus games are playable on Vive via a 3rd party app. Same goes for the reverse.

Blam

Thanks guys. Impulse bought. If I have to upgrade my PC, so be it; it's about time anyway lol.

You'd only need a CPU upgrade tbh. I'm using I believe a i5-6500K and it's working wonders for me even tho I've got a 1060.

Vive

Oculus

+best software library

Eh this is wrong full room VR is working on both of them at the same tracking quality.

Vive

+ full room VR

Oculus

+best software library

I would add the caveat that Oculus's great library is fully playable on the Vive via an unofficial compatibility layer. Performance isn't quite as good so you'll need slightly stronger PC hardware.

Also, the Vive's dulexe headstrap basically eliminates the gap in comfort and adds integrated audio--for an extra $100.

That said, as a Vive owner, if the choice had been between a $400 rift + touch and an $800 Vive + $100 dulexe headstrap, I would probably just settle for a Rift. $400 is an incredibly good deal.

If you buy from the oculus site then they show that the bundle includes 7 free games. If I just go to Best Buy and pick up the same bundle will it include those 7 free games too?

I sold off my PSVR like a month or so ago, as I had played through everything I had wanted to, and it wasn't being used that much. Told myself I wasn't getting back into VR until there was either new hardware available, or it cam down in cost. Pretty sure this is going to get my to buy a Rift. I have a PC (gaming laptop) with an i7 6700HQ, 1070, and 16 gb of RAM so I'm sure I'm set there. Glad this lasts for 6 weeks though as I'd like to take a minute to mull it over.

If you buy from the oculus site then they show that the bundle includes 7 free games. If I just go to Best Buy and pick up the same bundle will it include those 7 free games too?

It is advertised at the bottom of the product page so I would say yes:

Package Features

Oculus Rift
Rift's advanced display technology combined with its precise, low-latency constellation tracking system enables the sensation of presence; it is customizable, comfortable, adaptable and beautiful

Every aspect of Rift was designed to be easy, inviting and comfortable to use — and that extends to the VR environment; compatible games cross genres, including action RPGs, sci-fi shooters, mind-bending puzzles and more

Rift includes the headset, the sensor to translate your movements into VR, the Oculus remote, an Xbox One controller, and cables

Oculus Touch
This pair of tracked wireless controllers give you "hand presence" — the feeling that your virtual hands are actually your own — taking interaction to the next level

Touch lets you intuitively manipulate all kinds of objects, and also add nuance to human expression with gestures like pointing, waving and giving a thumbs-up; traditional action buttons, thumb-sticks and analog triggers give you familiar inputs

Touch includes the two wireless controllers, a sensor, and a Rock Band connector

Limited Time Offer
Get a download of EVE: Valkyrie with the purchase of Rift.

Game will be delivered via download from the Oculus content store when you connect the Oculus Rift. May not be redeemed for cash; no cash value.

Package Purchase Offer
Get a total of seven games with the combined purchase of Rift and Touch, including Lucky's Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, Dragon Front and Robo Recall

Games will be delivered via download from the Oculus content store when you connect the Oculus Rift and Oculus Touch. May not be redeemed for cash; no cash value.

Oculus-ready PC minimum requirements: NVIDIA GTX 960/AMD RX470 GPU or greater; Intel® Core™ i3-6100/AMD FX4350 processor or greater; 8GB RAM or more; HDMI 1.3 output; 1 USB 3.0 port + 2 USB 2.0 ports; Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or later

Recommended requirements: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/AMD R9 290 equivalent GPU or greater; Intel® Core™ i5-4590 equivalent processor or greater; 8GB RAM or more; HDMI 1.3 output; 3 USB 3.0 ports + 1 USB 2.0 port; Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or later

Total package savings may include instant savings on individual items.
Package price no longer valid if you return one of the items.
See Best Buy's Return Policy on Bundle or Promotional Discount Items.

Items may ship separately. Shipping cost calculated on a per-item basis.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/oculus-...D=1&siteID=zGhIxXAKSco-Vk5teNAoVUghYILa92pAjQ

I would add the caveat that Oculus's great library is fully playable on the Vive via an unofficial compatibility layer. Performance isn't quite as good so you'll need slightly stronger PC hardware.

Also, the Vive's dulexe headstrap basically eliminates the gap in comfort and adds integrated audio--for an extra $100.

That said, as a Vive owner, if the choice had been between a $400 rift + touch and an $800 Vive + $100 dulexe headstrap, I would probably just settle for a Rift. $400 is an incredibly good deal.

Yep, I agree.

I have both and I generally greatly prefer the Vive for several reasons, but not enough reasons to trump saving $300+ or whatever.

Get your VR headsets, bros. Welcome to the party.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A 1060 is what Oculus recommends. It's pretty close to a 970 performance wise. A 1070 is between a 980 and 980Ti. A 1080 is slightly above a 980Ti. Etc.
970s are getting pretty rare now unless you buy second hand which is still an option, but a 970 won't give you the best OR experience anyway.
What? No.

1060 is equivalent to a 980. A 1070 is about the same as a 980ti. 1080 is ~30% better than a 1070.

Bookoo

Are the wall sensors on the Oculus dependent on being plugged in to the CPU? If so that is a huge negative for me.

You need to plug them into the PC, which is what makes it harder to deal with roomscale. Many of the games are front facing, but you can get like 270 degree movement and I never experienced too much occlusion even in situations where I got turned around.

However due to Echo Arena I just recently added another camera to my setup and just ran an extension cable along the wall and used tripods I had for my Vive. That said I still tend to use snap turning because I hate turning around with a cable. I can't wait for wireless headsets.

If you goto BestBuy you get Eve Valkyrie for free plus all the other stuff advertised. See here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-vr-pre-order-launch-titles-free-content-games/

This list is also missing other cool free stuff such as Rec Room, Google Earth VR, NVidia Funhouse, and Valve's The Lab. So there is 22 awesome free pieces of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom