• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkup

If the godrays are this bad, you've yet to put it on properly. Since I know for a fact that you can play without godrays if you put it on properly.

Yeah you can see the SDE on both headsets, seriously not much you can do unless you're able to get something along the lines of StarVR.

Or it could be his eyes are more sunken in than most or his display was calibrated brighter casing more godrays or even dirty from eye lashes etc. Plenty of reasons why, but I agree wearing it properly should be relatively comfortable and unnoticable godrays in most games. Elite Dangerous is kind of one of the worse games with it's contrast because of the holographic panels.

Also when you are fully immersed the FOV and SDE goes away for me, I really don't notice it. It's like my eyes get sucked through the lens and display into the virtual world. Doesn't happen that often, but I know during horror games the nose gap seems to always disappear and suddenly I feel trapped.

Listonosh

I've read great things about Vrcover, which I ordered, should be getting it any day now

Nice I'll check it out. Do these covers help with comfort at all? Or are they more for hygiene purposes to keep sweat off and stuff. I'm finding that the pressure around my eyes gets a little uncomfortable over time so id like to eliminate that

Also when you are fully immersed the FOV and SDE goes away for me, I really don't notice it. It's like my eyes get sucked through the lens and display into the virtual world. Doesn't happen that often, but I know during horror games the nose gap seems to always disappear and suddenly I feel trapped.

When playing i dont notice the SDE or narrow FOV after the first few minutes. Games like Onward, Echo Arena or Robo Recall demand your attention and you really get lost in the game... not stuck counting pixels on the screen. It really tricks my brain and puts me there. Maybe i'm more "susceptible" but i'm literally fucking there in most games lol.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wow, purchased it with low expectations, but it's worse than I thought.

You actually still can see the screendoor effect and the shimmering is crazy, pics of stars are like looking at disco lights. How the hell are people playing Elite Dangerous with this, especially with this low resolution and the view distances you got there?
Text is obviously easier to read compared to DK2, but still not nearly good enough. Can't use desktop mode in VR more than a short while without hurting my eyes.
FOV still too low.
The worst issue though is the godrays, jesus christ, it's everywhere!
Every bright light source emits godrays that makes the image seem smudged, like vaselin on the lenses. I see them literally everywhere there is a bright source, especially when looking around, which "moves" around the godray beams.

I have no idea how you guys deal with this shitty IQ, my eyes and head hurt after a few minutes and I regretted opening it up pretty much instantly. I almost prefer my DK2 to this due to the incredibly annoying godrays.

Please sell it.

Being an anime fan myself, I wanted to try some anime VR game.

So yesterday I bought VR Kanojo(surprised it was entirely in english) and tried it with the touch controller. Just wanted to try 15 min before going to bed and ended up staying like 2hrs.

I just felt that my 400$ investment was justified.

If the godrays are this bad, you've yet to put it on properly. Since I know for a fact that you can play without godrays if you put it on properly.

Not sure how I can adjust it any further, i've been trying to find the optimal sweet spot by just "free-handing" it on my face.
It's resting on my mid forehead, not putting any pressure on my nose or anything.
Tried to adjust it again, but can't make it look better, godrays still very apparent.
Edit: The godrays move around in different directions when I adjust the HMD and settles for a "mid position" when I put it on my sweet spot, so I'm pretty sure it's correctly adjusted.

I will buy it off you!

I live in Sweden.

Please sell it.

Calm down dear, it's not the end of the world that I criticize it.

You actually still can see the screendoor effect and the shimmering is crazy, pics of stars are like looking at disco lights. How the hell are people playing Elite Dangerous with this, especially with this low resolution and the view distances you got there?
Text is obviously easier to read compared to DK2, but still not nearly good enough. Can't use desktop mode in VR more than a short while without hurting my eyes.
FOV still too low.
Every bright light source emits godrays that makes the image seem smudged, like vaselin on the lenses. I see them literally everywhere there is a bright source, especially when looking around, which "moves" around the godray beams.

I have no idea how you guys deal with this shitty IQ, my eyes and head hurt after a few minutes and I regretted opening it up pretty much instantly. I almost prefer my DK2 to this due to the incredibly annoying godrays.

VR is not a hobby for the pixel-peeping personality. Enjoyment of VR is like watching a typical Hollywood movie that requires complete suspension of disbelief to become fully immersed. Most don't have a problem with that, but some do. :D

FOV still too low.

As someone who played Elite:Dangerous religiously on a DK2 for 2.5 years and picked up CV1 + touch 2 weeks ago, i think you are crazy or need to get you eyes checked. I'm never playing a game on "flat screen" 6 feet away ever again. I pity you dude

Mascot

Well, I've sold my Touch controllers without even taking them out of the box. Have I goofed?

I bought the Rift purely for cockpit sim racing (WHICH IS FUCKING AMAZING) so don't need the controllers or extra sensor, and would need to relocate rooms to play flappy-arm stuff.

But I'm kind of thinking I should have given it a go...

VR is not a hobby for the pixel-peeping personality. Enjoyment of VR is like watching a typical Hollywood movie that requires complete suspension of disbelief to become fully immersed. Most don't have a problem with that, but some do. :D

The resolution isn't my biggest issue, I don't even really mind it that much.
It's the godrays, that's what makes it look like streaks of vaseline on the lenses and makes my eyes hurt.

As someone who played Elite:Dangerous religiously on a DK2 for 2.5 years and picked up CV1 + touch 2 weeks ago, i think you are crazy or need to get you eyes checked. I'm never playing a game on "flat screen" 6 feet away ever again. I pity you dude

Lol, I need to get my eyes checked because I see issues with the display?
I just can't imagine how annoying it must be to see godrays smudging all over the image, since it's literally bright planets/dots on a black background.
But yeah, go ahead, blame my eyes because I want to see a sharp image (?).

Mascot

Yes. Worst decision you've ever made!

I think I'm comfortable with the decision. By selling the controller, wifi dongle and Touch controllers I've got the cost of the headset down to a rather lovely £180, and I've no doubt the novelty of flappy-arm games would have worn thin very quickly (and that's ignoring the faffing about to set those up in another room) whereas I don't think I'll ever tire of sim racing in VR.

Maybe I'll look at my set-up for gen 2 and think about a permanent dual-purpose room change with more space.

Amneisac

It's the godrays, that's what makes it look like streaks of vaseline on the lenses and makes my eyes hurt.

Lol, I need to get my eyes checked because I see issues with the display?
I just can't imagine how annoying it must be to see godrays smudging all over the image, since it's literally bright planets/dots on a black background.
But yeah, go ahead, blame my eyes because I want to see a sharp image (?).

I have become less disappointed with the IQ the more I play, don't know if it will be the same for you, but as first everything felt very blurry and I was kind of regretting my purchase but after playing a few more times I got more immersed and got a better fit with the headset and started to really enjoy it.

I haven't played Elite Dangerous, but anything white with a black background is going to be the worst offender for God rays obviously. Have you tried other games like Robo Recall?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not sure how I can adjust it any further, i've been trying to find the optimal sweet spot by just "free-handing" it on my face.
It's resting on my mid forehead, not putting any pressure on my nose or anything.
Tried to adjust it again, but can't make it look better, godrays still very apparent.
Edit: The godrays move around in different directions when I adjust the HMD and settles for a "mid position" when I put it on my sweet spot, so I'm pretty sure it's correctly adjusted.

I live in Sweden.

Calm down dear, it's not the end of the world that I criticize it.

huh. I am calm. I don't suggest you to give it another chance.

I have become less disappointed with the IQ the more I play, don't know if it will be the same for you, but as first everything felt very blurry and I was kind of regretting my purchase but after playing a few more times I got more immersed and got a better fit with the headset and started to really enjoy it.

I haven't played Elite Dangerous, but anything white with a black background is going to be the worst offender for God rays obviously. Have you tried other games like Robo Recall?

Yeah hopefully I can see past that as well when I find some interesting games to play, have only tested it in different environments.
Will check robo recall out, gotta setup my touch controllers as well.

If only the godrays weren't there, I'd be much much happier with the purchase.

huh. I am calm. I don't suggest you to give it another chance.

More like begging me to not give it another chance.
Let's see if my hmd might just have bad lenses or something, gonna contact support.

I'm curious for those of you who had to approve waiting longer for your Oculus (Amazon), but have now received it. Did you get the original package, or the new combined unit without controller/remote etc?

vermadas

Dunder an you try an experiment? Take off the facial interface and put the Rift on and see if it helps with the god rays. This is obviously not a solution since it'll be uncomfortable without the interface but I'm curious.

...and I've no doubt the novelty of flappy-arm games would have worn thin very quickly (and that's ignoring the faffing about to set those up in another room) whereas I don't think I'll ever tire of sim racing in VR.

It's absolutely the farthest thing from a novelty—it's probably the strongest tool for presence we have right now IMO. It's what makes you feel like you're actually in a bar playing pool, in a street shooting a gun, etc. If you're referring to experiences like Kinect, Wii, etc when you say "flappy-arm," then you've drawn the wrong conclusion before you've tried it.

The glare is definitely present, but only really noticeable to me in very limited circumstances. I don't see it in most games during gameplay. I see it most often in menu screens with high white/black contrast, or in a totally dark virtual theater environment with high contrast scenes. Is yours omnipresent, or just in certain situations?

The glare is definitely present, but only really noticeable to me in very limited circumstances. I don't see it in most games during gameplay. I see it most often in menu screens with high white/black contrast, or in a totally dark virtual theater environment with high contrast scenes. Is yours omnipresent, or just in certain situations?

I see it most of the time there's a bright source on darker backgrounds. It either looks like vaseline streaks on non-black areas or proper rays on dark/black areas. So it's very visible in my case, especially when looking around, since the rays moves around in different directions making it more noticeable.
Haven't tried to immerse myself into a game yet, but I'm not sure what to do about it in dark horror and space games, which worries me.
Will update after some experimentation and trying proper games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I see it most of the time there's a bright source on darker backgrounds. It either looks like vaseline streaks on non-black areas or proper rays on dark/black areas. So it's very visible in my case, especially when looking around, since the rays moves around in different directions making it more noticeable.
Haven't tried to immerse myself into a game yet, but I'm not sure what to do about it in dark horror and space games, which worries me.
Will update after some experimentation and trying proper games.

For your text readability issues, you should try adjusting detail settings and see if you can improve it there. For example, things may look more or less blurry based on the type anti-aliasing is being used. Also, supersampling to 1.5x at least can also greatly help. Some games let you do it via in-game options, others you'll have to use the Oculus debug tool.

I don't really ever recall having any major issues reading text in Elite with the CV1, but some folks have mentioned that in addition to adjusting settings as mentioned above trying different font colors can also help.

Anyone have recommendations of games that can be played with a standard controller since my Touch controllers won't come for another day or two? Ideally something not too expensive or something I could buy on Steam since I have a lot of credit.

Blam

Anyone have recommendations of games that can be played with a standard controller since my Touch controllers won't come for another day or two? Ideally something not too expensive or something I could buy on Steam since I have a lot of credit.

I mean lucky's tale is always there.

XiaNaphryz

Thumper ($19.99) or Blaze Rush ($9.99) come to mind.

Nice I'll check it out. Do these covers help with comfort at all? Or are they more for hygiene purposes to keep sweat off and stuff. I'm finding that the pressure around my eyes gets a little uncomfortable over time so id like to eliminate that

from reviews on youtube, it helps with both

Being an anime fan myself, I wanted to try some anime VR game.

So yesterday I bought VR Kanojo(surprised it was entirely in english) and tried it with the touch controller. Just wanted to try 15 min before going to bed and ended up staying like 2hrs.

I just felt that my 400$ investment was justified.

We need a recommendation thread for stuff like that.
For research.
And reasons.

I couldn't get VR Kanjo to work so I guess I'm trying again.

image.php

XiaNaphryz

To be clear, Blaze Rush on Steam does not have VR support (95% sure of this). You must buy it on Oculus Store. I also recommend Blaze Rush.

Oh, right - forgot about that. Those who owned it on Steam when Rift launched were able to get keys for the Oculus Store version, which may be what was confusing me.

At least Steam lets you refund if you accidentally buy it there.

FOV still too low.

I'm not the only one, thanks!

Shifty

I think I'm comfortable with the decision. By selling the controller, wifi dongle and Touch controllers I've got the cost of the headset down to a rather lovely £180

This is perfectly reasonable.

and I've no doubt the novelty of flappy-arm games would have worn thin very quickly (and that's ignoring the faffing about to set those up in another room)

Unless you have prior experience with VR motion control, this is pure madness and self delusion. VR hand presence is a literal game changer, you're doing yourself a disservice if you knock it before you try it.

Convenience is a fair argument to make, but one extra sensor isn't all that much difference when you're already wiring up the necessaries for the rift itself. Well worth the effort imo.

Mascot

Unless you have prior experience with VR motion control, this is pure madness and self delusion. VR hand presence is a literal game changer, you're doing yourself a disservice if you knock it before you try it.

Convenience is a fair argument to make, but one extra sensor isn't all that much difference when you're already wiring up the necessaries for the rift itself. Well worth the effort imo.
Not knocking it, but I'd need to move my PC and everything with it to a different room. At the moment it's permanently set up in a small room with my racing cockpit. The car seat would be in the way of any movement-based VR gaming in there.

I mean, the Gear VR is an older product that has been given away for free a number of times, and the PS VR requires having a console system which has far less proliferation than VR-capable computers, plus the Rift+Touch bundle had/has a recent sale (and Amazon charts don't really indicate very much anyway), so it's not all that surprising...

I mean, the Gear VR is an older product that has been given away for free a number of times, and the PS VR requires having a console system which has far less proliferation than VR-capable computers, plus the Rift+Touch bundle had/has a recent sale (and Amazon charts don't really indicate very much anyway), so it's not all that surprising...

the argument was made before that there are more ps4s in the wild than VR capable PCs...but now its not?

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
How the hell are people playing Elite Dangerous with this, especially with this low resolution and the view distances you got there?

We all have different priorities. When I actually fired up my triple screens again I think to myself how can anyone go back to playing this pancake game after being in vr. To me it doesn't matter if it's 4k or higher...it's still a flat screen. I'd rather be in the game.

terrible

Banned
Well, I've sold my Touch controllers without even taking them out of the box. Have I goofed?

I bought the Rift purely for cockpit sim racing (WHICH IS FUCKING AMAZING) so don't need the controllers or extra sensor, and would need to relocate rooms to play flappy-arm stuff.

But I'm kind of thinking I should have given it a go...

Yeah you messed up lol. I've split my VR gaming 50/50 with sim racing and regular games that use the touch controllers since I bought it. The immersion those controllers allow for while in VR is pretty much mind blowing. It needs to be experienced.

We all have different priorities. When I actually fired up my triple screens again I think to myself how can anyone go back to playing this pancake game after being in vr. To me it doesn't matter if it's 4k or higher...it's still a flat screen. I'd rather be in the game.

It's more about me wondering how you deal with all the godrays, shimmering and the low res in a game that have a lot of tiny details like stars and ships far away?
Won't it be like nonstop blinking from all the stars and make your eyes hurt trying to focus on ships far away that's just a small pixelated mess with godrays going in all directions?

I've never played it, so it's a serious question, I've been thinking about purchasing it for VR but I really do not want to spend cash on something that ultimately will just give me a headache.

This kinda reminds me of my discussion with friends who watch cam rips of AAA movies and go "eh i don't mind, the difference isn't big to me".

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

It is surprising as gearVR is cheaper and shipped over 4.5mil units last year alone and estimates say they'll sell another 4mil this year. As for PSVR up until recently it has outsold both vive and rift combined by most estimates. Since psvr release It has regularly outsold both since it's launch. If you weren't surprised then you probably weren't aware of these underlying figures.

It is surprising as gearVR is cheaper and shipped over 4.5mil units last year alone and estimates say they'll sell another 4mil this year. As for PSVR up until recently it has outsold both vive and rift combined by most estimates. Since psvr release It has regularly outsold both since it's launch. If you weren't surprised then you probably weren't aware of these underlying figures.

nothing is surprising after the fact to people on the internet. everyone saw everything coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom