• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

I tried the Racket NX update last night. Holy shit, great game even better! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes the idea of squash (racket sport), or breakout type games (it's similar). Really fantastic presentation, and now the gameplay is more forgiving yet still challenging. Lots more mechanics.

I tried The Wizards. Disappointing. Mechanics are really simple, really boring. Basic wave shooter with node based movement, which might have been ok if there was some decent action. There's autoaim applied to your fireball tosses so it feels really bad. Developer claims it's 1.5 hours long too. I'd definitely recommend a pass.

Eleven is still brutally challenging, but still immaculately designed.

Lakuza

I tried the Racket NX update last night. Holy shit, great game even better! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes the idea of squash (racket sport), or breakout type games (it's similar). Really fantastic presentation, and now the gameplay is more forgiving yet still challenging. Lots more mechanics.

I tried The Wizards. Disappointing. Mechanics are really simple, really boring. Basic wave shooter with node based movement, which might have been ok if there was some decent action. There's autoaim applied to your fireball tosses so it feels really bad. Developer claims it's 1.5 hours long too. I'd definitely recommend a pass.

I'd recommend posting this in the main pc vr thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409109
might save some people from buying wizards since this thread is mainly about the headset sale. I know I'll definately pass on it now, I knew about the short length but not a fan of node teleport and form what i've seen of first impression vids, it seems really boring and dull.

ElyrionX

There have been complaints about the past few Nvidia drivers introducing VR stutter. 382.53 was the last known good one, you might try rolling back to that.

Might be your CPU honestly. I heard that Lone Echo is pretty CPU and memory hungry especially once you get outside.

I get the same kind of stutter in Robo Recall randomly too. RR works fine for the most part but when it stutters, a restart of the game fixes it.

It doesn't seem likely to me that you'll be able to set it up without having a monitor up the whole time.

My headset arrived today, it only comes with one sensor so I assume the other one will ship with the Touch controllers? Bummer, now I have to wait for my DisplayPort adapater since I only have 1 HDMI on my videocard.

_woLf

Sooo...got my replacement rift. Finally.

It's packed much better and includes things like a small warranty book, stickers, a cleaner...all things my original package did not have in the box. Interesting!

Anyway, small (big) problem. My 1070 has 1 HDMI port. And it's being used by my secondary monitor.

So now I"m in a rough spot. Obviously, I'm going to need to buy an HDMI to Displayport adapter. When I do, would I be better to use it on the Rift and keep my secondary monitor on HDMI, or should I keep the Rift on HDMI and use it on my secondary monitor?

Does anyone have recommendations for cheap ones that are good?

edit: I also see that HDMI to DP cables do exist, are those any good? Or is adapter the way to go? Would a cable like this work? I'm not sure which direction I want. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015OW3M1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

_woLf

I wanted to get the rift set up so I plugged it into my 1070's only hdmi port, light on the setup window turned blue, and then went to controller setup.

..then it flickered and said connection issue. And now the HDMI won't detect anymore. But my monitor still seems to work when I plug it back in.

I really just am beginning to wonder if I'm cursed.

edit: scratch that, it looks like all three lose connection:

Cy8ZZsP.jpg

I definitely meet the minimum specs, so I have no idea what is going on here. Is something fucked with the USB 3.0 ports, maybe? But if that was the case, why would the HDMI kick out too? When I restart my computer and boot up the rift software, it detects all three fine. I was even able to calibrate the sensor. And then it failed again and the HDMI as well as both USBs are losing connection.

Izuna

Banned
I wanted to get the rift set up so I plugged it into my 1070's only hdmi port, light on the setup window turned blue, and then went to controller setup.

..then it flickered and said connection issue. And now the HDMI won't detect anymore. But my monitor still seems to work when I plug it back in.

I really just am beginning to wonder if I'm cursed.

It's so weird that it "POPPED" like this for me and another Gaffer. Try to reconnect everything/hard reset etc. It might be better.

_woLf

It's so weird that it "POPPED" like this for me and another Gaffer. Try to reconnect everything/hard reset etc. It might be better.

I actually figured it out. All of my USB slots, including usb 3.0s, were set to be turned off by windows to save power if need be.

The second I disabled that, it worked fine. Thanks, Windows!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You should add that game to the list on the op

Tried a little Dirt Rally... my stomach wasn't totally in love with it a track and a half in. Flying off the track multiple times probably didn't help a whole lot. Is there a way to turn off the uhh.. virtual walls when you're playing something like that? Since I'm close to my desk I have annoying lines denoting the edge of the play area which I don't really need or want.

Rookhelm

Tried a little Dirt Rally... my stomach wasn't totally in love with it a track and a half in. Flying off the track multiple times probably didn't help a whole lot. Is there a way to turn off the uhh.. virtual walls when you're playing something like that? Since I'm close to my desk I have annoying lines denoting the edge of the play area which I don't really need or want.

Yes, you can go into the Oculus options (the menu button on the right Touch), and disable the guardian

The Chef

Everything has been working great until yesterday when tracking got all wonky.
One of the sensors had an alert and said something like "Poor Tracking Quality".

There was nothing obscuring the sensor. Its just hanging from the ceiling in the corner of the room. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and still the warning message would pop up.

This morning I check the devices tab and it says everything is connected fine and there are no warnings.

Whats that about?

Akoi

I walked into a local best buy on Friday and I picked up the combo with Eve and best buys website claimed there were none in stock around me. Only thing I couldn't find was a third sensor...

This thing is amazing and was totally worth the money.

Amneisac

Everything has been working great until yesterday when tracking got all wonky.
One of the sensors had an alert and said something like "Poor Tracking Quality".

There was nothing obscuring the sensor. Its just hanging from the ceiling in the corner of the room. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and still the warning message would pop up.

This morning I check the devices tab and it says everything is connected fine and there are no warnings.

Whats that about?

Exact same thing happened to me! After days of working fine suddenly it was saying the sensors were USB 2.0 and those tracking errors. I moved stuff around the USB ports and it'd been okay since.

Stiler

Sooo...got my replacement rift. Finally.

It's packed much better and includes things like a small warranty book, stickers, a cleaner...all things my original package did not have in the box. Interesting!

Anyway, small (big) problem. My 1070 has 1 HDMI port. And it's being used by my secondary monitor.

So now I"m in a rough spot. Obviously, I'm going to need to buy an HDMI to Displayport adapter. When I do, would I be better to use it on the Rift and keep my secondary monitor on HDMI, or should I keep the Rift on HDMI and use it on my secondary monitor?

Does anyone have recommendations for cheap ones that are good?

edit: I also see that HDMI to DP cables do exist, are those any good? Or is adapter the way to go? Would a cable like this work? I'm not sure which direction I want. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015OW3M1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This adapter and cable are confirmed to work with the rift,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0UDYLM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5H91KE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For everyone gettinng connections issue go into devise manager and under every USB device disable allow windows to turn off USB. Also disable USB suspend in the power management settings. If you do this and the headset still disconnects then it could be a hardware issue. I have the issue where if I put pressure on the headset in twisting motion it will disconnect and reconnect. Sending mine in for exchange.

I didn't enjoy Dirt Rally at all. To me, it's a little too obvious that it wasn't designed for VR from the ground up. For example, the trees in the distance are 2D sprites, and they rotate around their axis when you turn your head. That kind of thing kills the VR illusion for me. Plus you have to adjust way too many graphics settings to get a perfect frame rate, and even with everything on max it doesn't look particularly good.

The Chef

Exact same thing happened to me! After days of working fine suddenly it was saying the sensors were USB 2.0 and those tracking errors. I moved stuff around the USB ports and it'd been okay since.

Huh, that is so weird.

For everyone gettinng connections issue go into devise manager and under every USB device disable allow windows to turn off USB. Also disable USB suspend in the power management settings. If you do this and the headset still disconnects then it could be a hardware issue. I have the issue where if I put pressure on the headset in twisting motion it will disconnect and reconnect. Sending mine in for exchange.

Oooh good thinking!

MJPIA

Touch controller ship date slipped to the 7th.
Headset still says it expected by the 31st but that obviously isn't happening.
Complained to Amazon and they told me the supplier has not notified them when they'd get more but they'll ship mine as soon as they get more stock although I'm not sure if my order priority was bumped up or if thats a empty promise they said to placate me.
I should've just walked into Best Buy the day the price dropped.....

Dartastic

^^^^^

I'm in the same boat as you. Ordered on the 11th. Headset is "Expected by July 31." Touch controller is "Expected by August 4." At least my third sensor should be arriving by Wednesday. I know that Best Buy's store tracker says that they don't have any bundles in stock, but maybe I'll try anyway since I have to pick my girlfriend up from the airport and there's a Best Buy like, right next to it.

I also just saw that someone released a new mod for Alien Isolation and the consumer version of the Oculus headset. Has anyone tried it yet? How is it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ien_isolation_vr_mod/?st=j5r51mte&sh=41962ba3

HyGogg

Banned
anyone have an issue with static using the rift headset for sound? I feel like it has a ton of static in the sound

I occasionally get some crackling in audio, especially dialog, but I think it's the CPU bottlenecking the mixing, not an issue with the speakers.

anyone have an issue with static using the rift headset for sound? I feel like it has a ton of static in the sound

are you using any usb extensions on your headset? I had this issue when trying to use a 15ft usb extension, without it the sound was fine but I found a 3ft that I had laying around.

If you arent then its like your USB controller causing it. Make sure you have the latest usb drivers for your board and if your USB 2.0 port is on a different controller you can try running the headset off that to see if it stops. Using mine off a 2.0 and it works fine, all sensors are on 3.0 though.

Touch controller ship date slipped to the 7th.
Headset still says it expected by the 31st but that obviously isn't happening.
Complained to Amazon and they told me the supplier has not notified them when they'd get more but they'll ship mine as soon as they get more stock although I'm not sure if my order priority was bumped up or if thats a empty promise they said to placate me.
I should've just walked into Best Buy the day the price dropped.....

I got the $300 deal. Actually 300 because the Gift Card never was sent or got lost. I ordered very early during the one day deal when it popped up. I have friends who ordered after me through the standard Amazon deal and received theirs so it seems we probably did get bumped for some reason.

ElfArmy177

are you using any usb extensions on your headset? I had this issue when trying to use a 15ft usb extension, without it the sound was fine but I found a 3ft that I had laying around.

If you arent then its like your USB controller causing it. Make sure you have the latest usb drivers for your board and if your USB 2.0 port is on a different controller you can try running the headset off that to see if it stops. Using mine off a 2.0 and it works fine, all sensors are on 3.0 though.

I'm so confused. I have no clue which USB are what controllers.. lol

I have this motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#hero-specification

I also purchased this USB PCI card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently the headset is plugged into the USB 3.0 PCI card with ONE sensor. I have the other 2 sensors plugged into the motherboard USB 3.0 slots.

My Headset is on a 15foot USB 3.0 extension and a 15 foot HDMI extension using an HDMI repeater with no video issues. The popping or crackling of the headset sound only happens during some sounds but not all. I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Ive followed all the "recommended" extension cable guidelines

rtcn63

Sadly, if you're running an older mobo (i.e. a z77) then it's likely because those early USB 3.0 ports (and the controllers on devices from that time) are shit. Often, using an externally powered hub or a PCI card is the only way to get a (mostly) proper, stable connection.

Also.. I cant get my rift to turn off... its on 100% of the time when the computer is on. It never goes into standby... odd?

Make sure the sensor above the lenses is clean and unobstructed.

I have a cover on my facial interface material and the extra material tricks the sensor into thinking its on my head (which keeps it turned on) unless i push it away after i put it on my desk.

Lakuza

Also.. I cant get my rift to turn off... its on 100% of the time when the computer is on. It never goes into standby... odd?

oculus tray tool helps as already mentioned, you can get it from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/ alt link: https://forums.oculus.com/community...ng-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

My headset is always plugged in but I have the option enabled to launch the oculus service and headset as soon as oculus tray turns on (and closing the tray app will shut down the oculus service).

It's an orange light inside the headset when its off (but plugged in). It's white when the headset is on (whether its off your head or on it).

Dartastic

I uh, got impatient and went to Best Buy. They had some in stock. Gonna go watch game of thrones with my girlfriend then go try this sucker. Does anyone know if I have to return the one I bought from Best Buy to Best Buy, or can I just return the Amazon one once it arrives?

Farsi

Finally got around to trying out my prime day bundle and Echo Arena gave me motion sickness 30 minutes into the game. It was fucking awesome. This is such a great piece of tech, super simple to set up too and for $300, it's completely worth it so far.

I just set up the experimental two sensor 360 set-up and holy shit what an improvement the ability to move around freely brings to an already incredible experience!

I mounted the sensors about 75 inches up the wall diagonally across from eachother. The distance between the sensors is a little over ten feet, so it doesn't exactly meet the criteria for the setup. The only thing I've noticed is an occasional shift as of the sensors loose track of my headset. It rarely happens and is only really noticable if you are standing still and not moving around. In RoboRecall you can't really tell it is happening for example.

Does anyone have a three sensor setup? I'd consider getting an extra sensor if I knew it would elimate the view shifting.

The Dude

I just set up the experimental two sensor 360 set-up and holy shit what an improvement the ability to move around freely brings to an already incredible experience!

I mounted the sensors about 75 inches up the wall diagonally across from eachother. The distance between the sensors is a little over ten feet, so it doesn't exactly meet the criteria for the setup. The only thing I've noticed is an occasional shift as of the sensors loose track of my headset. It rarely happens and is only really noticable if you are standing still and not moving around. In RoboRecall you can't really tell it is happening for example.

Does anyone have a three sensor setup? I'd consider getting an extra sensor if I knew it would elimate the view shifting.

I have 3 and it's perfect.. Honestly I think 3 is the absolute way to go, it covers all basis

Finally got around to trying out my prime day bundle and Echo Arena gave me motion sickness 30 minutes into the game. It was fucking awesome. This is such a great piece of tech, super simple to set up too and for $300, it's completely worth it so far.

Out of curiosity. Did you order a deal of the day bundle one with GC for $400 or just standard Prime $400 deal independently?

I'm just trying to figure out if those of us who got the Deal of the day got pushed down the list somehow. Or if some of us just got unlucky.

Sadly, if you're running an older mobo (i.e. a z77) then it's likely because those early USB 3.0 ports (and the controllers on devices from that time) are shit. Often, using an externally powered hub or a PCI card is the only way to get a (mostly) proper, stable connection.

That really sucks. The rift is really touchy with the usb ports.

That really sucks. The rift is really touchy with the usb ports.

Why not just get a PCI card with USB 3.0s?
I have a Z77, but have this PCI card which is supposed to work fine (my Rift won't be coming for another week or two, so I haven't been able to test it, but that PCI card is supposed to work fine).

Why not just get a PCI card with USB 3.0s?
I have a Z77, but have this PCI card which is supposed to work fine (my Rift won't be coming for another week or two, so I haven't been able to test it, but that PCI card is supposed to work fine).

It works fine on my computer but I have a faulty headset that disconnects and reconnects often. Have to send it in for an exchange. Sucks.

How are you all mounting the sensors to or on the wall?
I got these clamp mounts for my three sensors:

Patuo Tripod Camera Clip Clamp Flash Holder Mount w/ 360 Swivel

And then I got these curtain rods, which I ran from floor to ceiling vertically:
InterDesign Cameo Constant Tension Bathroom Shower Curtain Rod - 78-108", Extra Large

And mounted (clamped) the sensors to the rods:

EgpUV2m.jpg

No fuss, no muss, and when I move out of my apartment my landlord is happy I didn’t do any drilling.

My expected delivery date is Monday 7th. Already got the Inateck card and my 3rd sensor. The wait is killing me, I've wanted VR in my home since watching GamesMaster nearly 25 years ago.

Izuna

Banned
I got these clamp mounts for my three sensors:

Patuo Tripod Camera Clip Clamp Flash Holder Mount w/ 360 Swivel

And then I got these curtain rods, which I ran from floor to ceiling vertically:
InterDesign Cameo Constant Tension Bathroom Shower Curtain Rod - 78-108", Extra Large

And mounted (clamped) the sensors to the rods:

EgpUV2m.jpg

No fuss, no muss, and when I move out of my apartment my landlord is happy I didn’t do any drilling.

I mean... Why not just get adhesive pads :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom