• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my Rift yesterday! Pretty mind blowing experience the first time you use it. The sense of scale is incredible! Honestly, I'd say VR lived up to the hype for me. I am not sure it is something I would use all the time, or for extended periods of time, but the concepts works amazingly well.

I will post more detailed impressions later.

sol740

VR without hand presence is fairly underwhelming. You need to get the touch controllers hooked up to give it a fair shake.

Got the touch controllers and my 3rd sensor last night and I am glad to report that I am now officially completely satisfied by my purchase. Actually, satisfied is a bit weak, as I am flat out impressed.

Just for reference sake I tried the traditional 2 sensor setup just to test the ranges and get a feel for the experience out of the box, and even with two the immersion was hard to believe. Sadly, after hooking up the 3rd sensor, I feel like the addition is almost a must-have. All of the weird jitters, and missed tracking disappeared, and it really put what I'm sure was an idiot's smile on my face, ear to ear. I am still having some really irritating USB issues. But everything is working for now.

Lord Phol

Looks like a lot of people who ordered on the 14th/15th from Oculus has either recevied their Oculus or had their order updated to processed/shipping. Not me though, seems scandinavians in general haven't had much luck (unless they ordered at the very start of the sale) :|.

Blam

Got the touch controllers and my 3rd sensor last night and I am glad to report that I am now officially completely satisfied by my purchase. Actually, satisfied is a bit weak, as I am flat out impressed.

Just for reference sake I tried the traditional 2 sensor setup just to test the ranges and get a feel for the experience out of the box, and even with two the immersion was hard to believe. Sadly, after hooking up the 3rd sensor, I feel like the addition is almost a must-have. All of the weird jitters, and missed tracking disappeared, and it really put what I'm sure was an idiot's smile on my face, ear to ear. I am still having some really irritating USB issues. But everything is working for now.

Yeah the headset alone is really missing quite a lot without the touch controllers. Since it adds so much that the headset can't do. Super Lucky's Tale also works with those touch controllers you can reach out to Lucky and he'll react to you so let your kids have fun with that.

The Dude

Got my Rift yesterday! Pretty mind blowing experience the first time you use it. The sense of scale is incredible! Honestly, I'd say VR lived up to the hype for me. I am not sure it is something I would use all the time, or for extended periods of time, but the concepts works amazingly well.

I will post more detailed impressions later.

Get a game like chronos and you'll see that it's the type of game that a person could play like normal but still offering a great vr experience.

People seem to fluff this off but for vr to actually move into mainstream it needs classic games like that

Finally set mine up. It was incredibly picky about sensor positions, but after a while it finally let me past it. I haven't tried Elite with the sit down and use my HOTAS setup yet, I feel like maybe my current tracking won't work with me that close to my desk with the sensors off to the side and a bit forwards because of my curved 3 monitor setup.

My glasses are wider than what they specify. Still doable if I put them in before I put my head in. It's kind of a clusterfuck. I do want to do lasik, but I've been lazy on that for years. Maybe I'll go refresh my prescription and get the special VR lenses or maybe just smaller glasses in the interim.

The First Contact demo was pretty badass. Google VR was kind of goofy, I was struggling a bit with the controls, couldn't figure out how to get the exact angles and movement I wanted. I did a little Star Trek Bridge Crew today and that was a pretty fun experience, though mostly comedic. None of that really tested my VR legs. I'm looking forward to testing out my motion sickness levels.

Mobius 1

Finally set mine up. It was incredibly picky about sensor positions, but after a while it finally let me past it. I haven't tried Elite with the sit down and use my HOTAS setup yet, I feel like maybe my current tracking won't work with me that close to my desk with the sensors off to the side and a bit forwards because of my curved 3 monitor setup.

My glasses are wider than what they specify. Still doable if I put them in before I put my head in. It's kind of a clusterfuck. I do want to do lasik, but I've been lazy on that for years. Maybe I'll go refresh my prescription and get the special VR lenses or maybe just smaller glasses in the interim.

The First Contact demo was pretty badass. Google VR was kind of goofy, I was struggling a bit with the controls, couldn't figure out how to get the exact angles and movement I wanted. I did a little Star Trek Bridge Crew today and that was a pretty fun experience, though mostly comedic. None of that really tested my VR legs. I'm looking forward to testing out my motion sickness levels.

As someone that seems to be immune to motion sickness, try Ultrawings. It's a fun little flight sim, but it did it for me. I felt my stomach tighten when banking the aircraft hard to the side.

Izuna

Banned

WELCOME <3

eXMomoj

Is anyone still waiting for their Prime Day bundles? Mine were supposed to arrive this week yet they still haven't even shipped...

MDave

I've been laughing hard at some of the Star Trek Bridge Crew plays on YouTube in anticipation, some really funny stuff on there, looks like a ton of fun especially watching drunk Irish men play haha! And it looks like its also cross play with PSVR users? The interactions and the hand gestures and how players can turn and point at things in it looks so real but also goofy as all hell in a hilarious way.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is anyone still waiting for their Prime Day bundles? Mine were supposed to arrive this week yet they still haven't even shipped...

My headset was supposed to ship yesterday and come in tomorrow. Hasn't shipped yet, and nothing's updated.

I'll probably message CS tonight. I've been charged already.

Dartastic

I just left the BestBuy with its last bundle in my hands. Such a satisfying feeling

Now for the drive home
If I didn't receive the extra $100 from Amazon, I would have cancelled by now and gone to an actual store. Amazon is SUPPOSED to ship my headset tomorrow, but I've heard that people aren't having their headsets shipped on time. This. Fucking. Sucks.

The Dude

I just left the BestBuy with its last bundle in my hands. Such a satisfying feeling

Now for the drive home

If you've never tried VR yet you're in for one hell of a treat.

That first moment where you load it up and menus alone feel larger than life, is so awesome. Wait til you try some stuff

Wallach

Do you guys always disconnect your Rifts when you're not using them, or is it meant to stay connected in standby mode?

Never had any issues just leaving mine connected so I could slip it on. Only thing I make sure to do is fully close out the Oculus client.

iosefe

If you've never tried VR yet you're in for one hell of a treat.

That first moment where you load it up and menus alone feel larger than life, is so awesome. Wait til you try some stuff
I have played through all the demos at the BestBuy kiosk and I had some Vive experience previously

Great stuff, I'm excited to finally have my own so I can play Elite and the full version of Robo recall

Gorn is my favorite game so far. I'm waiting to get paid to buy lone echo. It gets sweaty in the headset so I'm looking for some kind of cover for your face. Anyone have one they'd recommend? I'm also looking for some kind of full cover to put on the rift to keep the lenses clean from dust when it sits on my desk. So far im having a blast.

Soroc

Gorn is my favorite game so far. I'm waiting to get paid to buy lone echo. It gets sweaty in the headset so I'm looking for some kind of cover for your face. Anyone have one they'd recommend? I'm also looking for some kind of full cover to put on the rift to keep the lenses clean from dust when it sits on my desk. So far im having a blast.

Gorn is the only game so far that gets me nearly wrecking shit in my room. It gets so crazy, first time I played, somehow my wire got up on my desk (its nowhere near it) and when I ripped my head and body to the left to take care of an oncoming scumbag i slingshotted an empty coffee mug across my living room. Luckily it didn't break anything but the crash I heard from inside the headset left me feeling like I wrecked my TV! Game is super fun!

Get a game like chronos and you'll see that it's the type of game that a person could play like normal but still offering a great vr experience.

People seem to fluff this off but for vr to actually move into mainstream it needs classic games like that

Thanks for the suggestion! I was just playing SuperHot and RoboRecall, totally worked up a sweat trying to doge bullets and keep track of everything. For anyone on the fence, just let me say that VR is unlike any traditional game experience. Nothing you have played can prepare you for what those games are like!

Lakuza

For anyone who is looking for a singleplayer game with a normal campaign length (by non vr standards), I recommend lone echo (it needs the touch controllers though). Played 7 and half hours so far and it feels like a have a lot more to do. The multiplayer portion is free for a few months too so grab that too if you dont want to get lone echo (which is basically zero grav blitzball).

Soroc

Ok, holy shit... I damn near fell over playing Spider-man: Homecoming, when you have to sling up to the crane :D

My god this is crazy!

This has happened to me while playing Superhot! I'v bullet dodged myself into tripping over my own 2 feet and falling over (gracefully of course)

I can't believe I haven't seen many echo arena impression. yall need to get that asap as its free for q while. my zero gravity high production game.

Unfortunately my right died and I'm going back and forth trouble shooting with support trying to get a replacement. They keep trying to troubleshoot when it's bricked. Won't turn on at all. Sigh.. Anyone have experience with the rma process?

iosefe

Forgot to get a DisplayPort adapter for my monitor. Can I set up just by swapping inputs manually or am I screwed for the night?

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

You can ignore it's "recommeded" setup by skipping it. Then place your sensors wherever you want.

Varg

Banned
Just to clarify, the 399 oculus touch bundle that's being promoted , does everything come in the box? I keep seeing everyone talking about a third sensor . Does the bundle only come with the headset, touch controllers , and two sensors with the third as another purchase ? Planning on heading to Best Buy this weekend and buying one .

Chanser

Just to clarify, the 399 oculus touch bundle that's being promoted , does everything come in the box? I keep seeing everyone talking about a third sensor . Does the bundle only come with the headset, touch controllers , and two sensors with the third as another purchase ? Planning on heading to Best Buy this weekend and buying one .

Correct, third sensor is optional.

Cleve

You are correct. I'd recommend purchasing the third sensor if you want to do room scale, but you only need the included 2 to play most games.

iosefe

bundle has the Rift headset with one sensor, and most likely still has the Xbone controller, and separately is the Touch set featuring the contorllers and another sensor

you would have to buy a third sensor online. but it isn't completely necessary

I let my dad try out Gorn and he freaked the fuck out and noped out as soon as the guys started getting close lol. My dad's almost 60 and isn't up to date with technology (won't even get a smart phone ) but he was amazed by the rift. Showed him a simple space vr tech demo and even that was too much but it sure made both of us smile.

theRizzle

I let my dad try out Gorn and he freaked the fuck out and noped out as soon as the guys started getting close lol. My dad's almost 60 and isn't up to date with technology (won't even get a smart phone ) but he was amazed by the rift. Showed him a simple space vr tech demo and even that was too much but it sure made both of us smile.

That's hilarious. My dad just turned 57 a week ago and he was the one who introduced me to video games. He is completely adverse to any technology except for video games (he has never had a cell phone even). He looooooooved Robo Recall and the ISS game.

Amneisac

Hah, my dad is a very fit and capable 82 and I'm excited for him to try out my VR soon. My mom is 67 and she did First Contact today and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping maybe dad will drive over this weekend and check it out. I might have to buy H3 or something because he likes to shoot guns.

Has anyone tried Vanishing Realms?

It looks really really really cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/Vanishing_Realms/

It's one of the earlier VR games and still one of the best (if not the best). Sword and shield gameplay feels good and it actually works with teleportation, then you have archery and magic + your little pickaxe for mining minerals for gold.

It's not super indepth in any of these things but it just works.

Alongside The Solus Project one of my favorite games I have played in VR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom