• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banzai

Anyone know of this little problem?

I can play just fine one evening, but when I boot up the next day the rift has some sort of connection problem that can only be fixed by another reboot.

Obviously not a big deal, but still slightly annyoing.

I can play just fine one evening, but when I boot up the next day the rift has some sort of connection problem that can only be fixed by another reboot.

I get this with the Vive sometimes, it works for months without a hickup, then suddenly it's acting up. I don't really know what's the cause for that but I believe it is USB related (9 times out of 10, USB is the source of the error... or windows)
If you can't solve the problem by rebooting or what not then try switching around USB sockets. I had some really annoying issues that I was only able to solve that way.

Amneisac

Yes, my Rift is only a few days old but this has happened to me. Also I have had a few problems with games launching with no sound or not being the focused window so I have to relaunch them.

Get a game like chronos and you'll see that it's the type of game that a person could play like normal but still offering a great vr experience.

People seem to fluff this off but for vr to actually move into mainstream it needs classic games like that
Chronos is an awesome game - sure, most of it isn’t a standard first-person VR experience, your point of view is basically a camera overlooking traditional action, but it’s a solid, fun game, and VR really adds to it.

Lum1n3s

Placed that Amazon Order a while back with an expected delivery date of 7/28. I just got an email today asking to confirm if I still want the order though due to it never shipping. I confirmed that I still wanted it but now it has a delivery date pending. Hopefully it still goes through and it doesn't get cancelled.

Mascot

Checked out Face Your Fears at lunchtime today. It was pretty spooky! VR really does fool you into thinking you are there.

I've got my parents coming over this weekend and can't wait to show them things like this. It'll blow their minds.

Any other good passive experiences like this that people can recommend?

Lakuza

Checked out Face Your Fears at lunchtime today. It was pretty spooky! VR really does fool you into thinking you are there.

I've got my parents coming over this weekend and can't wait to show them things like this. It'll blow their minds.

Any other good passive experiences like this that people can recommend?

Face your fears is great, I always buy the new scenes when they are made available. :)

introduction to virtual reality(free) (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1006887936048510/) is awesome for showing vr off to people who don't normally game. It's a short 4-5 minute vr video jumping from location to location. This was always the first thing i showed off to anyone on my gear vr but its available for rift too. Its mostly live action 360/ 3d video with some rendered moments like being in space.

Dreamdeck(free) (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/941682542593981/) another similar passive experience but its in engine rendered 3d environments with some small vr interactions (head movement stuff, no controllers needed). Some examples of scenes it goes through: t-rex walking in a museum towards you, standing on the roof of a gotham like city, standing over a city with mini people going about their lives, looking into a mirror as your reflection changes between different quirky heads.

Affected: the manor (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1171399169574498/)
A short horror experience. Uses the touch controller as a torch and movement (no teleporting) but you can use other controllers too. Lasts about 10-15 minutes and its just walking through a haunted mansion. No interaction with the environment so its simple to play for newcomers. This one is jump scare+atmosphere heavy though and can be a big nope for people who don't like VR, so make sure no one has a heart problem before they play this.

tmtyf

welp my touch controllers from my amazon order just got updated to no clue if we will get this in stock do you still want to wait :(

I got the headset and was waiting to set it up but might have to just go without the touch controls.

gt86

I got that horrid windows 10 creators update and it made my rift headset not be recognizible on usb 3.1, unfortunately my new motherboard has more usb 3.1 than 3.0 so I rolled back the update and everything is fine now.

Mascot

Face your fears is great, I always buy the new scenes when they are made available. :)

introduction to virtual reality(free) (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1006887936048510/) is awesome for showing vr off to people who don't normally game. It's a short 4-5 minute vr video jumping from location to location. This was always the first thing i showed off to anyone on my gear vr but its available for rift too. Its mostly live action 360/ 3d video with some rendered moments like being in space.

Dreamdeck(free) (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/941682542593981/) another similar passive experience but its in engine rendered 3d environments with some small vr interactions (head movement stuff, no controllers needed). Some examples of scenes it goes through: t-rex walking in a museum towards you, standing on the roof of a gotham like city, standing over a city with mini people going about their lives, looking into a mirror as your reflection changes between different quirky heads.

Affected: the manor (https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1171399169574498/)
A short horror experience. Uses the touch controller as a torch and movement (no teleporting) but you can use other controllers too. Lasts about 10-15 minutes and its just walking through a haunted mansion. No interaction with the environment so its simple to play for newcomers. This one is jump scare+atmosphere heavy though and can be a big nope for people who don't like VR, so make sure no one has a heart problem before they play this.

Cool - thanks!
Just heard my Touch controllers are ready for collection so Affected is on the menu too.

Dartastic

Placed that Amazon Order a while back with an expected delivery date of 7/28. I just got an email today asking to confirm if I still want the order though due to it never shipping. I confirmed that I still wanted it but now it has a delivery date pending. Hopefully it still goes through and it doesn't get cancelled.
welp my touch controllers from my amazon order just got updated to no clue if we will get this in stock do you still want to wait :(

I got the headset and was waiting to set it up but might have to just go without the touch controls.
WTF. My headset is supposed to ship today. I really hope this doesn't happen to me. I placed the order on the 11th. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Listonosh

Has anyone here tried Bigscreen VR? It was probably some of the most fun I've had in a social VR space. Logged on yesterday to find someone playing Pokemon Yellow on a giant screen in a movie theater, and then later watched someone model something in 3D using Z Brush. But I love how you can see everyone represented as an avatar, and when talking to someone, it really feels like it since you're technically looking at each other, despite being virtual avatars.

Blam

Has anyone here tried Bigscreen VR? It was probably some of the most fun I've had in a social VR space. Logged on yesterday to find someone playing Pokemon Yellow on a giant screen in a movie theater, and then later watched someone model something in 3D using Z Brush. But I love how you can see everyone represented as an avatar, and when talking to someone, it really feels like it since you're technically looking at each other, despite being virtual avatars.

Yeah seriously I love going on Bigscreen and just talking to random people.

eXMomoj

WTF. My headset is supposed to ship today. I really hope this doesn't happen to me. I placed the order on the 11th. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Got my approval request this morning. I think you'll likely get one too.

I haven't granted approval yet - but I'm curious if they're going to try and give us the new bundle without the Xbox One controller. If so, I'd expect them to provide the controller and any other missing items as additional items as they were included in the description of the original bundle we bought. Either that or reimburse us the cost of those items (I already have an Xbox One controller so I wouldn't mind an additional $40-$60 off).

Dartastic

Got my approval request this morning. I think you'll likely get one too.

I haven't granted approval yet - but I'm curious if they're going to try and give us the new bundle without the Xbox One controller. If so, I'd expect them to provide the controller and any other missing items as additional items as they were included in the description of the original bundle we bought. Either that or reimburse us the cost of those items (I already have an Xbox One controller so I wouldn't mind an additional $40-$60 off).
I'd be okay with getting the bundle w/o the Xbox One controller to get an extra $40-$60 off. It's the wait that is annoying the hell out of me.

Akoi

what are the chances I could walk into a best buy today and get one? The website says there are none around me but I guess it says that everywhere and others have reported success.

Dartastic

Also, you can return them after 14 days, right? I might just see if there's a bundle around me and return it when I get my Amazon version in.

Also, does anyone know if they have weird, differing serial numbers so I can maybe just return my sealed Amazon version?

Edit: Guess it doesn't really matter, Best Buy is sold out. Maybe they have them at the Microsoft Store? *shrug*

eXMomoj

Also, you can return them after 14 days, right? I might just see if there's a bundle around me and return it when I get my Amazon version in.

Also, does anyone know if they have weird, differing serial numbers so I can maybe just return my sealed Amazon verison?

You can return, but you'll end up paying return shipping. Amazon only covers return shipping on defective/damaged items.

Blam

Also, does anyone know if they have weird, differing serial numbers so I can maybe just return my sealed Amazon verison?

tbh you don't even have to give them the correct hardware as much as it seems that something is in the box they will take it.

Source: Friend got a n3dsxl for pretty much doing just that.

He got a red n3dsxl box from someone who recently purchased one, and then put his red 3dsxl in it. Went over to a walmart and returned it got the money for a n3dsxl and bought a black one.

You can return, but you'll end up paying return shipping. Amazon only covers return shipping on defective/damaged items.

At least not for canada they'll do free returns.

Stiler

"We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. The new delivery date is indicated below. If you still want to receive this item, please let us know. We apologize for the delay.

New estimated delivery date:
Not yet available. We'll e-mail you as soon as we have a delivery date."

:(, was so looking forward to hooking this up and playing it this coming week.

"We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. The new delivery date is indicated below. If you still want to receive this item, please let us know. We apologize for the delay.

New estimated delivery date:
Not yet available. We'll e-mail you as soon as we have a delivery date."

:(, was so looking forward to hooking this up and playing it this coming week.

Just got the email too... Damnit Amazon what happened. I bought it during the deal of the day and they couldn't fill those?

I hope I still get the seperate items as I'd like the controller. Hopefully Amazon compensates us. They really screwed the pooch here.

I already bought a bunch of other stuff that I was planning to test. But now I'll have to wait. It any of that other stuff doesn't work I'll be outside the return window on it.

I got that horrid windows 10 creators update and it made my rift headset not be recognizible on usb 3.1, unfortunately my new motherboard has more usb 3.1 than 3.0 so I rolled back the update and everything is fine now.

The windows 10 creator update is the worst shit ever. I get bsd sometimes now when i never got one before.

iosefe

as far as setup goes, i have 2 ubs 3 on the back, one on the front, and 2 usb2 on the back as well

is the headset usb just the audio? can i safely put that on a usb 2?

Stiler

Just got the email too... Damnit Amazon what happened. I bought it during the deal of the day and they couldn't fill those?

I hope I still get the seperate items as I'd like the controller. Hopefully Amazon compensates us. They really screwed the pooch here.

I already bought a bunch of other stuff that I was planning to test. But now I'll have to wait. It any of that other stuff doesn't work I'll be outside the return window on it.

I hope they get them in within the next week or two at least.

I already bought a bunch of cables in preparation for it (about $50 worth) as well as a couple of games for Vr.

So if they cancel on me I'm really gonna be screwed.

The Dude

Chronos is an awesome game - sure, most of it isn’t a standard first-person VR experience, your point of view is basically a camera overlooking traditional action, but it’s a solid, fun game, and VR really adds to it.

I could see zelda like that and many others. That to me is what vr can to traditional gaming. I personally don't want ever game utilizing motion controls, I want many that do but I also want many that let me kick back, toss the headset on and just game.

Issue is it seems many folks give off the impression it'd vr motion or bust, and I don't quite get that.. I think games like chronos are the next step in traditional gaming with added vr immersion. That feels like the true next step for actual gaming that could be played long term and long session type gaming.

Games like lone echo are fucking amazing, but... Again Its a mood game and it's sort of the icing on the cake for vr go have games like that.

But I just believe that traditional gaming can get a nice boost from vr like chronos. A zelda game in that style would be incredible

I could see zelda like that and many others. That to me is what vr can to traditional gaming. I personally don't want ever game utilizing motion controls, I want many that do but I also want many that let me kick back, toss the headset on and just game.

Issue is it seems many folks give off the impression it'd vr motion or bust, and I don't quite get that.. I think games like chronos are the next step in traditional gaming with added vr immersion. That feels like the true next step for actual gaming that could be played long term and long session type gaming.

Games like lone echo are fucking amazing, but... Again Its a mood game and it's sort of the icing on the cake for vr go have games like that.

But I just believe that traditional gaming can get a nice boost from vr like chronos. A zelda game in that style would be incredible

I've been going through my VR backlog recently and focusing mostly on seated experiences since I initially focused on motion controlled games and I'm having soooo much fun with them.

I was always sold on VR but getting to play traditional games with the sense of scale and depth that VR brings is crazy.

Here's a copy/pasted post I made in the old Vive thread talking about the first seated game that I've gotten around to -

Combat Core

rZi1Pwb.gif

From the steam description - "Combat Core is a 3D arena fighting game sporting a colorful mix of modern aesthetics and futuristic cyberpunk"

It's basically a Power Stone style game (not exactly the same but it's the closest way to describe it) that works on both flat displays and in VR and the VR mode feels like you're playing with action figures that are fighting right in front of you. The scale is actually a bit larger than I would expect but still works really well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Have you tried Blaze Rush? It basically feels like you're watching over a bunch of RC cars as you play. Another cool game you can sit back with just a gamepad.

Lebneney

Banned

Got the same thing from Amazon... like if they didn't have stock, why promise something you cannot deliver on? I'm willing to wait it out, but how long is too long? I've already purchased a VR game and was about to get some more accessories until this hit my inbox. :/

Reallink

Has anyone tried Vanishing Realms?

It looks really really really cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/Vanishing_Realms/

What you're looking for is Mage's Tale. It makes Vanishing Realms look like a DK2 demo in comparison, Realms is very first-gen. The Vanishing Realms developer is also a bit of a slime ball as far as I'm concerned. He pretty clearly abused early access knowing full well everyone who paid $20 for a 2 hour experience expected at absolute minimum that he would flesh out second chapter into an actual level. It is merely a 5 minute combat arena he likely used for internal prototyping, and looks as though it will remain as such. His most recent bulletin suggests additional content will be (presumably) paid DLC and/or expansions. Chapter 1 and 2 as they stand are absolutely not worth $20.

Soi-Fong

What you're looking for is Mage's Tale. It makes Vanishing Realms look like a DK2 demo in comparison, Realms is very first-gen. The Vanishing Realms developer is also a bit of a slime ball as far as I'm concerned. He pretty clearly abused early access knowing full well everyone who paid $20 for a 2 hour experience expected at absolute minimum that he would flesh out second chapter into an actual level. It is merely a 5 minute combat arena he likely used for internal prototyping, and looks as though it will remain as such. His most recent bulletin suggests additional content will be (presumably) paid DLC and/or expansions. Chapter 1 and 2 as they stand are absolutely not worth $20.

Dang.. This sucks to hear. I'm definitely going to get Mage's Tale during a sale or something.

I kinda want to save some money for the later Oculus games coming out during the holiday like Arktika and From Other Suns as well as Killing Floor.

ElyrionX

Is Lone Echo choppy for anyone else? It was bad when they first loaded into the station. On seeing that, I paused and changed grpahics settings to Low and then it was fine all the way through to calibration. But when the game loaded into the station again, it was choppy again.

Running i5 2500K, 1070, 8GB RAM.

Reallink

Is Lone Echo choppy for anyone else? It was bad when they first loaded into the station. On seeing that, I paused and changed grpahics settings to Low and then it was fine all the way through to calibration. But when the game loaded into the station again, it was choppy again.

There have been complaints about the past few Nvidia drivers introducing VR stutter. 382.53 was the last known good one, you might try rolling back to that.

Man, I am little bummed Lucky's Tail 2 will not be a VR game! :( From what I've played so far, I cannot imagine going back to 2D for this franchise.

I really wish their was a way CEMU could be set up to support VR. Super Mario 3D World would be incredible on it!

Man, I am little bummed Lucky's Tail 2 will not be a VR game! :( From what I've played so far, I cannot imagine going back to 2D for this franchise.

I really wish their was a way CEMU could be set up to support VR. Super Mario 3D World would be incredible on it!

Isn't Microsoft pretty invested in VR for the One X? Yeah, Lucky's Tale is an incredible experience

Man, Eve Valkyrie is really...lame.

I've played far more complex arcade flight sims over a decade ago. It is super dumbed down in terms of mechanics. I know it was a VR launch title that's supposed to be more of a tech show piece, but it isn't even good at that. The only "VR" looking thing is the cockpit. The actual space you explore in front of you just looks like a big flat TV. Glad I got this game bundled with my Best Buy Oculus, paying money for this would really suck.

If you want an actual decent flight sim, then just play War Thunder. Although, make sure to use Oculus Tray Tools for supersampling. The game looks kind junky without it.

Soi-Fong

Might be your CPU honestly. I heard that Lone Echo is pretty CPU and memory hungry especially once you get outside.

How do you get all the free software? Only Lucky's Tale is showing up for me and I redeemed Eve Valkyrie

Robo Recall is showing up priced in the store

Iorv3th

How do you get all the free software? Only Lucky's Tale is showing up for me and I redeemed Eve Valkyrie

Robo Recall is showing up priced in the store

Did you set up your touch controls? Robo Recall and the other games are supposed to be free when you set up the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom