• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol guys, Vive won't have eye-tracking, foveated rendering

any "breakthrough" they talked about is probably either in regards to the camera on the headset (they said they wanted it to track/identify pets while you're in VR, maybe it can now do it with humans) or in regards to tracking. Marlamin from SteamDB heard it might be the latter.

I agree ashecitism. This "breakthrough" is probably going to disappoint a lot of people because expectations are getting out of hand. I totally encourage people to wait for all the facts before deciding on their VR HMD, but don't expect foveated rendering or eye tracking.

Foggy

Oh wow, that's wild! Shame I waited to get a DK1 after the KS ran its course. Congrats to the lucky folks out there.

YuShtink

Really wish I knew about the Rift during the Kickstarter haha. Didn't pre-order DK1 until early January 2013 when I first got linked to the Kickstarter video. That's still amazing gesture of them though. Congrats backers!

Micerider

I knew I forgot something on my "to do" in 2012 :(

Props to them for owning it up to their backers. The Facebook purchase could have generated a bit of un-satisfaction, but they still take a stance to show respect at least.

Drakken

Wow, that's awesome. 'Grats to those of you who backed the KS! Kicking myself for not getting in while it was still going.

the 20 countries it's shipping to:

This offer is only available in the following countries where Oculus Rift is shipping: United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, and Taiwan.

I'm expecting the Vive to be $100 extra, but remember the Rift doesn't include its touch controllers or a second camera. So that'll be another 100-150 later in the year if you want the full Rift setup. Vive includes 2 base stations and 2 controllers out of the box.

I'm expecting photogrammetry capture directly via the headset's built-in camera. Would be amazing.

I'm fully expecting it to be at least $200 more because the controllers are included. We'll see though.

This offer is only available in the following countries where Oculus Rift is shipping: United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, and Taiwan.

Best news of the day, and I'm even paying for mine.

the 20 countries it's shipping to:

After waiting so long it suddenly feels like everything is happening so quickly now. I honestly expected that when one of those companies finally decided to start shipping their market ready product it would start as a small, US only, thing.

This is a pretty decent list of countries for the first release of a true VR product to the end user.

Man, my wallet is not ready. I'm hyped for VR after trying DK1, DK2 and Crescent Bay, but I've been throwing so much money at my game room/home theater over the last few months.

Well, it is what it is. Don't think I'll be able to hold off from preordering this.

LordCanti

I heard the news about the free one and thought the person that told me was completely full of it. This is awesome news.

I'm super excited right now.

Why would it be $500? Dev kit 2 was $350 a year and a half ago. I cant see a panel thats not much more increased in pixel count selling for more. They need to move these things with sony and valve right behind them.

Bsigg12

Why would it be $500? Dev kit 2 was $350 a year and a half ago. I cant see a panel thats not much more increased in pixel count selling for more. They need to move these things with sony and valve right behind them.

Everything is custom built for the CV1. 2 displays, the cloth cover, the new headstrap, the detachable headphones, IPD mechanism, lenses, and all the different inserts. There is significantly more in the CV1 than was ever in the DK2.

Jimrpg

how much did people pay back then? $200, $300?

steal.

Plus for Aussies the exchange rate was better too...

I really wanted to get one but I decided to wait. silly decision.

Teletraan1

Banned
I would probably need to spend more upgrading my PC to bring it up to snuff for VR than this thing will probably cost plus I am waiting for Pascal. Although when you are opening pre orders with no price deets it's going to be expensive isn't it?

VR if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

RealMeat

Banned
how much did people pay back then? $200, $300?

steal.

Plus for Aussies the exchange rate was better too...

I really wanted to get one but I decided to wait. silly decision.

$300, and I sold mine for more than twice that on ebay. Feel kind of bad about that, now. This is really generous of them.

KHarvey16

I would probably need to spend more upgrading my PC to bring it up to snuff for VR than this thing will probably cost plus I am waiting for Pascal. Although when you are opening pre orders with no price deets it's going to be expensive isn't it?

VR if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

We'll know the price when preorders go live. People draw way too many conclusions from doing what most companies do when announcing a new product.

Everything is custom built for the CV1. 2 displays, the cloth cover, the new headstrap, the detachable headphones, IPD mechanism, lenses, and all the different inserts. There is significantly more in the CV1 than was ever in the DK2.

So dk1 and dk 2 were not custom built? I understand it better but everything was there besides the headphones. Economies of scale should decrease the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom