• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Can anyone explain a bit about the ability to play Xbox One games with the Rift? I am curious as to what it really is and how it works.

undecided

Can anyone explain a bit about the ability to play Xbox One games with the Rift? I am curious as to what it really is and how it works.

Wasn't that just that ability to play the Xbox one -> Windows 10 game streaming on a large virtual screen?

AmyS

The first few years we're going to see rapid iteration on the Rift as they bring in eye tracking and new displays and optics, amongst whatever new tech they add. It's going to be extremely hot while VR begins to mature and I think we will see a new version each year that brings in new features. If you're worried about that, at the very least I would wait until eye tracking and foveated rendering really get figured out and implemented across games and devices because that will be a huge change for VR.

Yeah, Rift will probably iterate every year or so, close to how smartphones do, much more often than consoles, according to Brendan Iribe,

Maddanth

To add to that the CV comes with built in detachable headphones w/hq drivers. Most interested in how good the cans sound, and specifically how well implemented the positional audio is in things like Eve.

Good question, Palmer has said in the past you'd be able to get it at places like BB. We'll likely find out come Wednesday.

Cool thx allot. Looking forward to this. Recently got into PC gaming and had Someone build my PC based on specs to run this comfortably.

Bsigg12

So, I'm the only one who thought it was kinda crazy the AMA starts ten hours after pre-orders open up? :p

I was super confused by this as well but it starts once the CES showfloor closes so it seems like Palmer will be in the Oculus booth giving interviews and such all day Wednesday.

Feep

Banned
Square footage of room it's used in The Rift is incapable of this. The camera tracker has an extremely limited volume and cannot be used to acquire dimensional analysis of an entire room.
Possible video The Rift does not record video.
Possible sound Just like the Kinect and PS Eye, huh?
Hours played I guess it could, but literally every game platform on the planet already does this anyway.
Types of games played See above
Controller input behaviors (possible key log) Insane, tinfoil hat nonsense. Key logs are insanely illegal and would have catastrophic consequences upon leak.
Types of videos watched The Rift is primarily a monitor. Seriously.
Types of websites used Ugh
Where eyes were looking on said websites The Rift does not have eye tracking.
Other PC info when it is connected to a computer Crazy pants

This is just off the top of my head. Can all be used to develop very targeted consumer or nefarious info which is valuable to the right entities.

Of all the companies to not trust with this info, Facebook tops the charts.
Yeahhhhh.

RCSI

Given the $1500 VR ready computer statement along with Oculus Ready PC's starting at $949, I would not be surprised if it were in the ballpark of $550.

Kahoona

I can't believe they had to make pre-orders start right in the middle of a 2 hour meeting I'm in on that day...just my luck.

Hawk269

I hope we get some more details soon. My gaming rig, which is hooked up to my 65" 4k Set sits about 8' away from my seating position, really curious how long that cord is that needs to be plugged into the PC and if we can use HDMI/USB extensions if needed?

I hope we get some more details soon. My gaming rig, which is hooked up to my 65" 4k Set sits about 8' away from my seating position, really curious how long that cord is that needs to be plugged into the PC and if we can use HDMI/USB extensions if needed?
The DK2 cables were 10 feet long, rumors say the Consumer Version cables are longer, somewhere around 12 to 15 feet, at least the versions developers have.

I was super confused by this as well but it starts once the CES showfloor closes so it seems like Palmer will be in the Oculus booth giving interviews and such all day Wednesday.
Its almost like they're busy at a certain trade show...
They couldn't wait 24 more hours to start taking orders? Or even 11?

"Let's go ahead and start selling them now, and then later I'll check and see if there's anything anyone wants to know first."

Just seemed like an odd train of thought. I mean, it's cool that they're doing the AMA. I just assumed something like that would be part of the pre-game, but I guess I'm the only one. /shrug

Anastasis

Any ideas on an LGA 1155 CPU that would match or exceed the recommended i5 4590?

I'm trying to think how to be rift ready the cheapest way possible by keeping my motherboard.

Dineren

Banned

"Let's go ahead and start selling them now, and then later I'll check and see if there's anything anyone wants to know first."

Just seemed like an odd train of thought. I mean, it's cool that they're doing the AMA. I just assumed something like that would be part of the pre-game, but I guess I'm the only one. /shrug

I agree with you. I don't think it is sleazy or anything, but it's kind of annoying they are waiting until after preorders launch to do it.

Bsigg12

I'm expecting a massive info dump that should cover most questions on Wednesday morning. The AMA seems like it'll just be a place for people to ask questions that are already answered by whatever material they release in a couple days.

KHarvey16

They've said we'll have plenty of info when the preorders start. I can't really think of a product release of this scale that had someone do an AMA for it, either before or after.

I'm expecting a massive info dump that should cover most questions on Wednesday morning. The AMA seems like it'll just be a place for people to ask questions that are already answered by whatever material they release in a couple days.
I expect we'll get more info tomorrow (they gotta keep interest and media stories up), and yeah probably a full blog post and stuff Wednesday morning before the preorders go live with all the remaining details.

I internet just fine without Facebook.
Now that Facebook is publicly traded Mark has a fiduciary duty to his shareholders which runs against the consumers' best interest.

Oculus lost all credibility when joining this monstrosity.
You should do a bit more research. Mark Zuckerberg has no fiduciary duty to his shareholders. In fact, at the IPO the letter he wrote for all the investors made it it clear that the goal of Facebook was NOT to make money, it was to SPEND any money made to improve consumer experiences, and all corporate decisions would be made with that in mind. And he retained a large enough portion of the company that he is still fully in charge of everything the company does.

Also, and more important, neither Facebook nor Mark have any say in what Oculus does. It was written into the purchase contract that Oculus would be left alone to manage themselves as they see fit for at least 3-5 years. Now, of course they are going to work together and consult with each other, and Mark probably approves of big expenses. But he's not running the company, he's not dictating that they do anything they don't ready want to do. And do you really see Palmer Luckey wanting to spy on customers?

LiK

Man, I hope it's $300 or less. But I'm guessing $400-500 is the actual price if they won't announce it beforehand.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

guess? No, you are definitely the only one here with the odd train of thought.

I'll bite if it's up to 500USD (so like 750AUD), but not a cent higher.

I hope there aren't any major 1st production run issues. Sigh - it's gonna be a ride.

Bizzquik

maybe this strategy is working because I think my price limit has gone from $400 to $500...

LoL. That's well said. Right there with you.

By Wednesday I'll have convinced myself that $600 is actually entirely justifiable given the tech....and will be salivating over only having to pay $500 for it.

Hype, man.... Hype kills.

LoL. That's well said. Right there with you.

By Wednesday I'll have convinced myself that $600 is actually entirely justifiable given the tech....and will be salivating over only having to pay $500 for it.

Hype, man.... Hype kills.

I mean, who needs to eat, really? Need to lose some weight anyhow...

Dartastic

Does anyone know what sort of internal adjustments are available for people with glasses, more specifically with astigmatism? I'd love to not wear my glasses while using one of these things...

I agree with you. I don't think it is sleazy or anything, but it's kind of annoying they are waiting until after preorders launch to do it.
Nor even shady. Just seemed weird, but yeah, if I was eager-but-on-the-fence, I guess I'd be a bit annoyed too.

So, a place where you can have stuff broken down for you, like we do here at GAF? Yes, that seems like an excellent idea. :)

They've said we'll have plenty of info when the preorders start. I can't really think of a product release of this scale that had someone do an AMA for it, either before or after.
Oh, doing the AMA is awesome; I wish Sony would do more. The timing just confused me is all.

guess? No, you are definitely the only one here with the odd train of thought.
Apparently I wasn't. :p

I'll bite if it's up to 500USD (so like 750AUD), but not a cent higher.

I hope there aren't any major 1st production run issues. Sigh - it's gonna be a ride.
The engineering team was actually all there in China for the start of the production run to figure out and fix any issues that popped up. And I'd bet a good portion of that first run went to developers, who would be quick to call out any problems. Of course, nothing's 100% perfect - my day-one Wii had problems reading discs, and one of the Wii Remotes had an offset accelerometer (I was glad I lived near Nintendo HQ so I could swap them out).

KyleCross

Recommended specs are here:
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/t...pc-sdk-0-6-released-and-mobile-vr-jam-voting/

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Welp, that's me out with my GTX 645. Oh well, I don't really game on my computer anyways so PlayStation VR was always going to be the go-to. Still, I was interested in Oculus too (for the right price) because it'll likely have way more support than the PlayStation VR.

Does anyone know what sort of internal adjustments are available for people with glasses, more specifically with astigmatism? I'd love to not wear my glasses while using one of these things...
None, you have to wear your glasses while using it.

"Will the Oculus Rift let you adjust the focus for your vision, like on the Gear VR?

Mitchell: "We decided not to do focus. [...] We decided to support as many glasses rims as we could. And so we've designed the facial interface to better suit more glasses frames. Mine are actually a little big, but the goal is that we can get more glasses in there."

CowntChocula

Neo Member
I am so stoked for this. Ever since the few times I got to try it at various PAX events I am 100% sold. Will be a day 1 buy for me (assuming I can get my preorder in!)

LaneDS

I'm glad they're not doing focus control. I found swapping between two sets of lenses at varying distances on the DK2 was not something I'd like to do long term (obviously talking about when other people are using the helmet... no reason to swap out once you've found that sweet spot).

Debating whether I'll preorder tomorrow or wait to see how things shake out.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm glad they're not doing focus control. I found swapping between two sets of lenses at varying distances on the DK2 was not something I'd like to do long term (obviously talking about when other people are using the helmet... no reason to swap out once you've found that sweet spot).

You wouldn't have to swap lenses in a CV for focus control.

I want to, but I don't think I'll be able to afford however much the Vive costs if we're expecting the Rift to be around $500. That and I want VR yesterday.

I'm expecting the Vive to be $100 extra, but remember the Rift doesn't include its touch controllers or a second camera. So that'll be another 100-150 later in the year if you want the full Rift setup. Vive includes 2 base stations and 2 controllers out of the box.
Eye-tracking?
I'm expecting photogrammetry capture directly via the headset's built-in camera. Would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom