• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly not ordering without an in depth review. I want to know if it still has a PenTile screen and about the screen door effect. The resolution IMHO is still not sufficient.
General consensus is that the SDE is pretty much completely gone. It will be interesting to see reviews once it's out of Oculus' controlled demo environments, though I can't imagine the positive reaction to the display and optics that we've been seeing will change much.

I don't see that as a possibility at all. They're still talking about it being "in the ballpark" of the $350 dk2, and also mentioned an entire system plus rift would be around $1500 (assuming a $1000 PC).

That's an old quote, that was around the time of the dk2 release not that far after FB acquisition I believe when they said that, they've since changed their messaging on price. All those recent tweets by Palmer followed by all those pack-in announcements seems like padding to curb sticker shock. It's not going to be cheap and will be out of the dk2 ballpark, tag it.

edit: These are the tweets in question for reference: https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/679907802962214912

"Right you are, my mistake. Still, see his more recent statements in the tweets I edited in. I think things changed between then and now based on his wording."

His more recent tweets also include one saying that they're still on track for a full Rift setup to be around $1500, including PC. Not that I expect this to be south of $450.

Stiler

The thing is most of the games coming out for the rift now have been in development for 2+ years. They did not have touch back then for devs. Releasing it with touch now would be a huge disservice to those devs that spent all their time developing for a gamepad in mind.

Another thing is not every game will be suitable for the touch controls anyway. Just look at the 2 games being included with the rift now: Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie. The touch controls do nothing for those games. Racing games and flight games also have their own desired input methods.

Touch will come along with content but it will take time. I don't think there will be a splintering issue as you say. There are very compelling experiences for touch in development and many more that will probably be groundbreaking.

How would it be a dis-service? The touch can function without the motion controls, having a game that doesn't use them would in no way shape or form hurt the game or the developers, people would simply play it as thought it were a normal controller. Nothing would change.

Name me a single peripheral outside the rumble pak for any major console or system that came out post-release and became a mainstay that every-game/dev built toward expecting people to use it?

Meanwhile I'll list those that failed:
32x
Dreamcast VMU
N64 expansion pack
Nintendo power glove
Nintnedo VRU

So other than Eve and Luckey's Tale, do we know of any high profile games that will be available at launch? There's Elite, but will it work with CV1 out of the gate?
While Frontier stopped updating Elite Dangerous' Oculus support, they recently added OpenVR support (Vive), and that works with Oculus as well. But they did say they were going to natively support CV1, and we're just waiting for the SDK to stabilize at 1.0 (which it now has). For other games, some of them will be available at launch, some won't, but here's a list of 2016 games. I believe both Edge of Nowhere and The Climb were announced as launch titles.

Is there any word on how this will work with someone wearing glasses? Can I adjust focus and use it without glasses?
No, there is no focus adjustment, just a slider for the distance between your eyes. The Oculus Rift is designed to be comfortable to use while wearing glasses, a lot of the people at Oculus wear them.

Kyolux

I'm hoping that my i5-3570k will do. Will buy cooling and overclock if required. Otherwise, will need a new mb. :/

Will have to replace my 670 gtx though I guess for something better. May wait for next line though.

"Dreamcast VMU"

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post or recalling very incorrectly, the VMU didn't come out post-release. It couldn't have, because it was the memory unit for the Dreamcast to save game files.

Wallach

Honestly I think I'm willing to go pretty high. Assuming it is three digits this shit is ordered.

Probably too much to hope they use Amazon for their pre-orders?

plainr_

Dang. If this happens to release in the next two months I just might have to get this over Vive. I have zero patience and too much hype.

How would it be a dis-service? The touch can function without the motion controls, having a game that doesn't use them would in no way shape or form hurt the game or the developers, people would simply play it as thought it were a normal controller. Nothing would change.

Name me a single peripheral outside the rumble pak for any major console or system that came out post-release and became a mainstay that every-game/dev built toward expecting people to use it?

32x
Dreamcast VMU
N64 expansion pack
Nintendo power glove
Nintnedo VRU
Well recently, Kinect on XBox 360 both sold well and got a lot of support. PlayStation Move on PS3 sold a ton as well, though it didn't get very good developer support for some reason. Wii Fit's Balance Board got both lots of sales and lots of support. Rock Band and Guitar Hero were HUGE for peripheral sales, and other developers did add support to them. Nintendo's Amiibos are getting amazing sales, if you consider them peripherals. A bit further in the past and you'll get the PlayStation Dual Analogue Controller, tons of PS1 games supported that. If you want to talk about PC, game pads are a HUGE peripheral that came out post-release that sell amazingly well. And steering wheels and flight sticks on all consoles and PC.

I dunno what a "Nintendo VRU" is, but the Power Glove was by Mattel, not Nintendo, and it was already supported by almost every game on the NES (since it was mainly just an alternate way to play normal games).

Bsigg12

The Kinect doesn't have any precise tracking of the Xbox controller.
The controller IR blink is just to identify which 'blob' of 3D data the controller is located within (and to help separate players).

No rush but you should probably before autumn due to more and more games adopting DirectX12.

The Kinect can track Xbox One controllers. The only game to ever use it was Dead Rising 3.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

32x
Dreamcast VMU
N64 expansion pack
Nintendo power glove
Nintnedo VRU

Here, you can read palmer's thorough response on why it's not included:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/30/o...rollers-arent-shipping-with-the-rift-in-2016/

Bookoo

I'm hoping that my i5-3570k will do. Will buy cooling and overclock if required. Otherwise, will need a new mb. :/

Will have to replace my 670 gtx though I guess for something better. May wait for next line though.

I just ran a 3DMark with dual GTX670s (4GB) and an i5 2500k and got 9400. So you may have to upgrade if you just have a single card

eKAEXhG.png

jdavid459

what are the differences between this and the samsung VR? just allows you to use your PC's power for gaming?

not trolling...just curious. samsung vr is really cool

year_zero

Neo Member
How many of you guys looking to preorder the CV1, wait to see what the Vive looks like, and then either cancel the Rift order or stick with it? If I knew I could back-out of a preorder for this, sure. But I would hate to drop $400-$600 on this and then learn HTC is about to wipe the floor with Oculus.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
what are the differences between this and the samsung VR? just allows you to use your PC's power for gaming?

From a basic standpoint yes. However, the samsung gear VR is VR designed around a phone. The rift is designed from the ground up for the best VR experience. Better display, better optics, tracking, ergonomics, powered by pc...etc which overall leads to a better experience.

How many of you guys looking to preorder the CV1, wait to see what the Vive looks like, and then either cancel the Rift order or stick with it? If I knew I could back-out of a preorder for this, sure. But I would hate to drop $400-$600 on this and then learn HTC is about to wipe the floor with Oculus.

You can always cancel your pre-order, also Palmer had a tweet saying "shipping starts in Q1" so don't necessarily think yours will be loaded up for shipment the next day and you needing to scramble for cancellation.

spannicus

Why you rain on parade man why you?

Bsigg12

GearVR uses the phone to handle everything so it benefits from being wireless. It however doesn't have positional tracking where it can tell you're leaning in to look at something closer or away, etc. The Rift is powered by your PC so it allows for much higher fidelity experiences than the Galaxy phones can produce, as well as run at 90hz so the sense of presence is much stronger. The integrated headphones, which are detachable if you want to use your own cans, allow developers to really take advantage of binaural audio which is a massive part to really bringing someone into a VR world. There are a few other things as well. If you like the GearVR experience, the Rift, Vive and PSVR will all provide experiences that really build on what they've accomplished with GearVR

Services like Netflix, virtual cinemas, virtual web browsers will probably have the same functionality and performance between the two, but Rift has head tracking which Gear does not.
I think Rift pre-order and some big Vive news is happening on the same day right? Palmer has said that pre-orders won't likely won't "sell out" of initial stock, so you are probably safe not to pre-order at all, and wait til Vive announces their thing.

spannicus

is there really such demand that you need to pre--order?
Man these shits are gonna sell like crazy. Virtual concerts, games, movies, enviornments, i think its gonna be big.
Preordering early will probably get you yours before those who do it later.

Jimrpg

is there really such demand that you need to pre--order?
First batch will definitely be sold out I reckon. People have waited a long time for this.

Who in here is only getting one VR headset this year and already decided it's going to be the rift? Who's going with Vive?

I'm leaning towards rift now only because I expect it to be better supported.

Kyolux

I just ran a 3DMark with dual GTX670s (4GB) and an i5 2500k and got 9400. So you may have to upgrade if you just have a single card

eKAEXhG.png

Was definitely getting a new video card. Just want to wait for what's coming out next.

Not sure yet if getting OR or Vive too, which I assume requirements will be similar anyway.

year_zero

Neo Member
If BadDragon looses it's website to a Black Friday sale, imagine what will happen to Oculus on Wednesday.

I can neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of what BadDragon is ( ._.)

YuShtink

As much as I'm excited to pre-order I'm really interested in what the full launch line up will be, exactly what apps will be included, etc. Hoping there's a full on blow out of info Wednesday morning...

I think it's just sort of a natural pushback to the hyperbole that comes from the other side - that it's going to be a massive overwhelming success and that every family will have 9 of them in their living room by May this year.

I'm not sure where you've heard anyone saying this? Certainly not on neogaf.

It's quite the opposite, where people drive by post about how badly they want VR to fail as they feel it's a threat to traditional gaming in the same way that some people see mobile gaming as problematic for enticing developers to move towards a different platform and abandon traditional games entirely.

I don't believe this to be the case nor have I ever seen anyone in any VR thread on gaf ever say anything of this sort.

Everyone that's been a vocal supporter of VR has expressed grounded, realistic expectations that VR will eventually be incredibly successful.

Nobody ever thinks it will be an overnight success and it's pretty strange how often that same exact strawman is used by "old men yelling at clouds."

As much as I'm excited to pre-order I'm really interested in what the full launch line up will be, exactly what apps will be included, etc. Hoping there's a full on blow out of info Wednesday morning...

It's exciting, its like VR's own E3! Very curious to see what the Vive "breakthrough" is myself.

GameSeeker

I can't see any reason to pre-order until after HTC has announced Vive. After we know specs/pricing/launch date for both, then I can make an informed decision as to which one to buy.

Angry Fork

Debating whether or not I should get the first edition or wait it out for the inevitable upgraded versions a year from now. If it was like PC parts where you can hold out for 5 years I wouldn't mind but I feel like these things are going to take off and improve with new versions much faster than GPU's, CPU's etc..

Debating whether or not I should get the first edition or wait it out for the inevitable upgraded versions a year from now. If it was like PC parts where you can hold out for 5 years I wouldn't mind but I feel like these things are going to take off and improve with new versions much faster than GPU's, CPU's etc..

Never buy gen 1. Let other people be beta testers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom