• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsigg12

I have a feeling that CV1 will launch in the next 7 weeks.

I'll take your 7 and say 4.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/27387/27387/

As for Mitchell, he spoke about why these pre-orders hadn’t begun earlier. “There’s no rush to take pre-orders. We don’t need your money right now. It doesn’t benefit us, and it doesn’t benefit you either,” he said. “I’m a guy who thinks about user experience all day long,” he explained. “Apple has nailed the consumer hardware launch experience. They announce it. You preorder it the next week. They ship it to you the week after or within a 2-4 week window, and you’re like, ‘Yay yay yay!’

I think they're going to go with the quick turnaround on pre-orders to release.

Enk

makes good threads.
I think it's just sort of a natural pushback to the hyperbole that comes from the other side - that it's going to be a massive overwhelming success and that every family will have 9 of them in their living room by May this year.

In reality, it's not going to be a gigantic failure, nor a massive mainstream success. It will still sell well, the manufacturers will continue iterating and improving.

This is fine. VR is awesome.

Yeah it's definitely a bit of that. Anyone who is expecting this to be an immediate mainstream success needs to have their expectations drastically tempered, and those thinking this is going to be a complete failure are going to be in for a long drawn out period of disbelief.

All three of the big players know that this medium is going to take some time to grow into mainstream acceptance. It probably won't be in this or even next generation's hardware iteration, but down the road, when VR evolves more, it will start to show more and more people that this is another visual/audio output medium like TV's, theaters, radio, headphones. books, or smartphones, and not things like Wii-motes or kinects.

I also think the biggest problem some people are having with their thinking of this is just associating this with gaming and comparing it to what we're used to in games. And this thinking rightfully so as that's the current big push to own VR right now. But as the medium grows it will gradually branch out more then just games and start to become just that: another medium we use for stuff.

Lastly there are people's expectations of the tech. Some people's expectations are just unrealistically too high, and some people's expectations are still stuck in the 90s. Right now we're finally at a point where this tech works at an acceptable level. The 3D, the FOV, the head tracking, the positional tracking, the processing power are finally all harmoniously working together to help trick the viewer's brain. Is it perfect? Of course not, but now that all the pieces are in place it's just a matter of time for the tech to improve. Once that happens then people with higher expectations will start jumping on board as well.

Kuni

Oho? Weird little pre-announce. It's all about dat price. A lot of expectations will get set this week. Should be fun.

Bookoo

Anyone who is expecting this to be an immediate mainstream success needs to have their expectations drastically tempered

Most of the people I really see pushing this expectation are the people who think it is going to fail simply because it will fail to do that.

Most of the posts I see coming from people are more VR positive is that it will be a slow burn and this is simply the beginning. Even Oculus has come out on multiple occasions with tempered expectations of the first couple iterations.

bj00rn_

Banned
I think it's just sort of a natural pushback to the hyperbole that comes from the other side - that it's going to be a massive overwhelming success and that every family will have 9 of them in their living room by May this year

I've been discussing VR for years, I'm an enthusiast - I've basically never even seen a single post like that.. So where is all this hyperbole saying that VR is going mass market overnight?

In fact, whenever we've discussed this topic over the years, the enthusiast-consensus has always been that it takes time to build momentum.

This is also the reason for why I always get a chuckle from people out of the blue stumbles into a VR related thread, go into auto-pilot mode and start arguing with some kind of imaginary VR-enthusiast that VR won't reach mass market immediately.

..edit: I'm not really a big part of the PS4-scene, is the mass-market hyperbole coming from that side after Sony revealed its PSVR, is that what you mean?

cybropm

johnny-mnemonic-big.jpg

Me on Wednesday waiting for pre-order to go live. :)

Zafir

I'm interested, but it's going to be very price dependent.

It'll also depend on whether they're shipping from the US too I guess. Customs will have a field day, mounting the price up, if it is.

Dartastic

I'll go up to $499 I think. I want one of these things SO badly. If it's much more... I'm out. It'll just be too much cash. Ideal price point (within the realm of possibility) is $399, $99 for the Oculus Touch controllers.

UnrealEck

Hopefully it's not more than about £250. Otherwise I won't be able to pre-order. I really want to get in on the first orders so I will get one of the first headsets without having to wait for them to restock.

amrod

back in mid December there was the story

Major HTC Vive VR 'breakthrough' to be shown at CES 2016

I hope they show what this 'breakthrough' is before the rift pre-order goes up

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Considering how important motion controls and getting your hands into the VR world will be for VR it does seem incredibly odd that Oculus aren't just NOT giving you motion controls bundled with the headset, but that they're giving you a "dumb" Xbox One controller instead.

Frankly it's madness. I mean, as much as I'm a fanboy of Sony and will readily amdit it, they have hands down the best compatibility all ready to go with their VR. Not only the Move controllers, which were ahead of their time and really shine in VR, but the Dual Shock 4 controller allows it to be perfectly mirrored in the VR world as well. Oculus are seriosuly missing a trick and limiting what they can initially do and show off with their VR by completely missing the boat with this. The controllers should come with the headset, they should launch with it, not months later.

Sony already have great demos knocked up that show how great putting the real world controller into the VR world is, where it can be augmented to the player and provide tactile feedback in the VR world. Move (and Vive's wands) too of course. An Xbox One controller.... ooft.
iZ4vAfT.gif

Hopefully it's not more than about £250. Otherwise I won't be able to pre-order. I really want to get in on the first orders so I will get one of the first headsets without having to wait for them to restock.

The DK2 was around that price; it'll definitely be more. Still, the cheaper the better; I'm probably going to have to upgrade my CPU (and subsequently the motherboard) if it bottlenecks a lot of games.

Bookoo

Hoping for $349, but expecting $449.

I think Palmer already came out and said it will be more expensive than DK2, which was $350. So $499 seem to be the best guess considering they are going to bundle in 2 games and an xbox one controller, but I am still hoping for $399.

I think Palmer already came out and said it will be more expensive than DK2, which was $350. So $499 seem to be the best guess considering they are going to bundle in 2 games and an xbox one controller, but I am still hoping for $399.

I didn't factor in the controller, so you are right. Hoping for $399 as well.

Melon Husk

Nope, unless it gets "leaked".

Edit: Oh, and I'm expecting shipments starting in Feb, so 4 weeks. Oculus would beat HTC handily if they announced "available the next day" but what are the odds of that!

The pre-order goes up the minute the expo starts. So, no way, unless leaks happen.

Enthusiast and first adopter here, so I'm on board no matter the price. I Intend to get all 3 headsets actually.

I look forward to the civil discussions on this board with other VR enthusiasts.
New here, thanks for having me NeoGAF!

I used to have a dk2 but eventually got rid of it because of too many problems with SLI (780 Ti). I haven't been keeping up but is SLI still an issue or has it been resolved?

RyudBoy

So count you out because you are randomly assuming with no evidence that it'll be $700? You don't even care what the actual price is?

Look, I'm just expecting it to be expensive. And I do care about the price, which is why I mentioned that I'd be willing to pay $300.

Off-topic but not sure where I can ask this question (if someone can link me to the appropriate thread I'll be grateful)...

Should I upgrade to Win 10 for VR?

Been sticking with 8.1 thus far.

Rival

Gold Member
Is it weird that they are announce a date to order this without announcing a price? It's going to be really expensive.

xptoxyz

499$ + 80$ shipping + 23% import tax!

If they want to sell this as a consumer product at a larger scale I can't see them not setting up warehouses worldwide to avoid that... This is not a DK. I think even Valve ships hardware from different parts of the world.

shandy706

Considering how important motion controls and getting your hands into the VR world will be for VR it does seem incredibly odd that Oculus aren't just NOT giving you motion controls bundled with the headset, but that they're giving you a "dumb" Xbox One controller instead.

Frankly it's madness. I mean, as much as I'm a fanboy of Sony and will readily amdit it, they have hands down the best compatibility all ready to go with their VR. Not only the Move controllers, which were ahead of their time and really shine in VR, but the Dual Shock 4 controller allows it to be perfectly mirrored in the VR world as well. Oculus are seriosuly missing a trick and limiting what they can initially do and show off with their VR by completely missing the boat with this. The controllers should come with the headset, they should launch with it, not months later.

Sony already have great demos knocked up that show how great putting the real world controller into the VR world is, where it can be augmented to the player and provide tactile feedback in the VR world. Move (and Vive's wands) too of course. An Xbox One controller.... ooft.

Does the Oculus have any way to track the X1 controller like the Kinect can?

Kinect knows where each controller is.

UnrealEck

Off-topic but not sure where I can ask this question (if someone can link me to the appropriate thread I'll be grateful)...

I'd expect most of the games to work on (or be built primarily for) Windows 10, but you're only going to get DX12 on Win10, so that's a good incentive on its own.

Ferrio

Banned
So other than Eve and Luckey's Tale, do we know of any high profile games that will be available at launch? There's Elite, but will it work with CV1 out of the gate?

Animator

Is there any word on how this will work with someone wearing glasses? Can I adjust focus and use it without glasses?

DavidDesu

I believe XB1 controller emit an IR blast the Kinect can pick up, but there's no gyro motion tracking in the controller and no spacial tracking like the DS4 has. It's just a flash of IR to say the controller is over here or over there vs detailed positional tracking with DS4 with sub millimetre accuracy.

Literally before Valves Vive presentation on the same day.
Hmmmm of all the days and times to pick from?

I'm curious, is everyone going to jump on this ASAP, or wait to see what Vive is going to do first a little later in the day and risk losing out on one?

Man

The Kinect doesn't have any precise tracking of the Xbox controller.
The controller IR blink is just to identify which 'blob' of 3D data the controller is located within (and to help separate players).

No rush but you should probably before autumn due to more and more games adopting DirectX12.

Not necessary! Oculus' official recommended specs are Win7 and up.

Is it weird that they are announce a date to order this without announcing a price? It's going to be really expensive.
People drunk on hype chems furiously mashing F5 will be more likely to buy then and there vs if they have time to make an informed decision a week or so beforehand :p

So other than Eve and Luckey's Tale, do we know of any high profile games that will be available at launch? There's Elite, but will it work with CV1 out of the gate?

There are lots of games with "2016" dates, but nothing solid. Unlikely we'll know many launch day games until we know the launch date.

Almost certainly less than $500.

Some of the price estimates here are crazy.

Nah, they did not skimp on the materials in this hmd unlike using off the shelf parts for dk1+dk2 (outside of their shells). Everything in it is custom and hq. My conservative estimate is 500 at the low end. Will not be surprised if its upwards of 600. Would certainly like for it to be cheaper :p

KHarvey16

Nah, they did not skimp on the materials in this hmd unlike using off the shelf parts dk1+dk2 outside of the shell. Everything in it is custom. My conservative estimate is 500 at the low end. Will not be surprised if its upwards of 600. Would certainly like for it to be cheaper :p

I don't see that as a possibility at all. They're still talking about it being "in the ballpark" of the $350 dk2, and also mentioned an entire system plus rift would be around $1500 (assuming a $1000 PC).

Dineren

Banned
It has been a long time since a platform has made me this excited. I'm hoping this ends up under $500, but I'm willing to spend quite a bit more if necessary. I'm still worried about content though, even with that list of planned 2016 titles. I have a feeling I'm going to be snapping up every VR game/experience released due to a lack of content. Hopefully that doesn't end up being the case.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Certainly not ordering without an in depth review. I want to know if it still has a PenTile screen and about the screen door effect. The resolution IMHO is still not sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom