• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palmer Luckey just tweeted that the launch will be global on Wednesday - they have certifications for 20 countries, with more coming.

Brokun

Opening preorders before price announcement is sorta sleezy, come on guys just tell us already.

Don't think it's sleezy, just calculated. It's probably going to be more expensive than most people want to spend on it. If they drop the price at the same time as the preorders then that doesn't give people a lot of time to mull it over or complain about it before committing to the cost.

Here's the price. It's ludicrously expensive. Get it now or you won't get it until 2017.

Of course everyone is going to complain about the price. But only after they have already preordered theirs lol.

It's smart.

Ferrio

Banned
Don't think it's sleezy, just calculated. It's probably going to be more expensive than most people want to spend on it. If they drop the price at the same time as the preorders then that doesn't give people a lot of time to mull it over or complain about it before committing to the cost.

Here's the price. It's ludicrously expensive. Get it now or you won't get it until 2017.

Of course everyone is going to complain about the price. But only after they have already preordered theirs lol.

It's smart.

Just because it's smart doesn't mean it isn't sleezy.

Bookoo

Qoute from Palmer on the price.

"This is standard practice in the consumer electronics industry. The price is almost always announced alongside preorders. Phones, game consoles, they all do it this way - it is kind of weird to see people thinking it is some kind of special sign about anything!"

We will see the price when preorders open, not sure why people got the impression they wouldn't. I guess most companies don't announce when preorders will open in advance.

"This is standard practice in the consumer electronics industry. The price is almost always announced alongside preorders. Phones, game consoles, they all do it this way - it is kind of weird to see people thinking it is some kind of special sign about anything!"

We will see the price when preorders open, not sure why people got the impression they wouldn't. I guess most companies don't announce when preorders will open in advance.

Apple announces price and preorder date together. Usually a few days before preorders.

I don't think it's unusual for price to be announced with a preorder date.

I really wish people would stop posting that they are NOT getting X headset because of Y features or Z price

You guys can make your own topic about how you aren't going to get something, so I can read about things i'm interested in without an overwhelming amount of negativity.

Hale-XF11

My body is ready, but my wallet is not. :(

Regardless of whatever the price may be, I'm betting the first batch will sell out immediately.

My PC meets the recommended specs as I have a 970, but I'm going to upgrade as soon as the new series of cards come out anyway. I am up in the air as to whether I should wait for more software support though.

So conflicted.

UploadVR said:
I also took a moment to test the occlusion factor on the new controllers and as expected the tracking on them broke when I hid them behind my back. This could probably be solved with a different camera setup.

UploadVR said:
She clarified that yes, you would be able to set the cameras up in opposite corners of the room, for example, a setup which might allow for less occlusion issues with the controllers.

Cool and all, but still not convinced.

I think it's a problem of communication. They say "pre-orders will open-up on January 6" and people think "uh? How I am going to pre-order something if we don't have basic info like price or date?".
Instead they should announce "We will finally release the price, date and other details of the Rift on January 6, pre-orders opening too" and people would receive that with less problems.

I think it's a problem of communication. They say "pre-orders will open-up on January 6" and people think "uh? How I am going to pre-order something if we don't have basic info like price or date?".
Instead they should announce "We will finally release the price, date and other details of the Rift on January 6, pre-orders opening too" and people would receive that with less problems.

That sounds about right.

The chance of me pre-ordering really depends on whether my Laptop with an I7-5700 HQ and GeForce 970m would run it. I know that the 970m is slower than a 970 desktop variant but I don't know how much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably going to get PSVR for Sony exclusives. But having a gtx970 it is tempting to get a PC VR solution too - especially if mine craft comes to VR only on PC (plus demos etc that may be PC only)

But if vive is within $100 of OR I think I'd prefer that for the motion controllers. I have no need for another Xbox controller.

Bookoo

That sounds about right.

Yea strange tactic I guess, but it didn't seem logically to me to think that they wouldn't announce the price and stuff when preorders open so I just got excited about that day.

I was surprised to see a lot of people upset about not seeing a price and thinking they would have to preorders blindly.

Bookoo

But if vive is within $100 of OR I think I'd prefer that for the motion controllers. I have no need for another Xbox controller.

I hope that would be the case but I'm think it's going to be $200 since they are shipping two controllers and the bae stations.

So being able to maintain 60FPS isnt enough right?

I was interested in this for DCS and possibly ARMA 3. But I can only get 60-65FPS out of those games with my current setup.

I was interested in this for DCS and possibly ARMA 3. But I can only get 60-65FPS out of those games with my current setup.

Naw, while 60 is usable, it's not very good at all for VR, and can make people sick. For example, Brenden Iribe (CEO of Oculus) could only use Oculus DK1 (which maxed out at 60hz) for 5 minutes without getting sick, DK2 (which allows 75hz) he could play for over 45 minutes and he never got sick. Though, the 3D motion-tracking they added in DK2 helped with that as well.

90 fps or bust.

And the games themselves have to support the Rift explicitly! Arma 3 doesn't support it, dunno about DCS.

harSon

Banned
Have you tried one? I get bad motion sickness with FPS games and some third person games with too many quick camera movements but haven't gotten any motion sickness with my Gear VR yet. It was my biggest worry too.

I've owned an Oculus Rift DK2 since they first shipped. I've yet to find a traditional first person game that hasn't made me sick, but then again - there aren't many big budgeted experiences of that nature (Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Dying Light and Alien Isolation are unofficially supported for example). Anything like this for example, absolutely destroys my stomach with a headache to boot after about 10 minutes or so. I can't do anything like an amusement park ride simulator. Keep in mind that I get car sick, sea sick and motion sickness from some first person games (Half Life 2, Mirrors Edge, Dying Light, etc) - so I'm probably an extreme case.

I'm good with simulated on-rail tech demos though, for example - Kite & Lightning's stuff.

I'm hoping that after some experience under their belts, and legitimate budgets by actual development teams - that they'll be able to mitigate the effects of motion sickness. Until then, my VR usage might be restricted to non gaming uses :( Like nature documentaries and the like.

I'm not sure how my body would handle platformers? I'm hoping someone I know picks one up so I can test it out.

I'm hoping that after some experience under their belts, and legitimate budgets by actual development teams - that they'll be able to mitigate the effects of motion sickness. Until then, my VR usage might be restricted to non gaming uses :( Like nature documentaries and the like.

"nature documentaries"

DieH@rd

Banned
I can't believe they still haven't released the price.

giphy.gif

Sony/MS did the same with their consoles. They unveiled the price at the exact moment preorders were opened.

giphy.gif

Sony/MS did the same with their consoles. They unveiled the price at the exact moment preorders were opened.

Yeah this isn't a new thing, don't know why people see it as some underhanded tactic. It's two days away folks, if it's too rich for your blood you're not getting it anyways so what difference does it make?

Anybody have a good auto fill program to recommend? Only ever used built in browser ones and those haven't been reliable for me in the past.

artsi

90 fps or bust.

And the games themselves have to support the Rift explicitly! Arma 3 doesn't support it, dunno about DCS.

I think Arma 3 will have official Rift support eventually, and there's already vorpX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVkAeFP1s4

It's already pretty well suited regarding gameplay as it has free look, trackIR support, lots of vehicle gameplay etc.

SP and CO-OP should be fine, but large scale online is a problem because most servers are weak and limit FPS. It's essentially the same problem Star Citizen has at the moment.

AgeEighty

Damn it. I was set on the Vive, but I don't know if I can hold off from jumping into a pre-order.

You can always cancel your pre-order later if you decide you like what Valve announces. I am 100% positive that Valve will release all their details well before the point-of-no-return on Rift pre-orders.

I think Arma 3 will have official Rift support eventually, and there's already vorpX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVkAeFP1s4

It's already pretty well suited regarding gameplay as it has free look, trackIR support, lots of vehicle gameplay etc.

SP and CO-OP should be fine, but large scale online is a problem because most servers are weak and limit FPS. It's essentially the same problem Star Citizen has at the moment.

I don't see it that easy. traditional fps doesn't translate very well to VR, Arma 3 doesn't reach easily 90 fps without drops even on sp, the core gameplay is done thinking on shooting things at hundreds of meters (little pixels on your screen), etc

AgeEighty

ITT: Not telling gamers the price of something until pre-orders open—but still giving them the chance to see the price before they hit Submit on their pre-order—is "sleazy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom