• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although ED won't be working with the CV1 at launch, so keep that in mind.

Dirt Rally and many others will be though I expect. I believe that if it works on SDK 0.7 or newer, it will work on CV1.
ED works on SDK 0.8 using OpenVR (that's how I play on my DK2). Also, Frontier didn't say Elite won't be working with CV1 natively at launch, they said they *currently* don't have it working, but they are actively working with Oculus to try and make it happen.

ED works on SDK 0.8 using OpenVR (that's how I play on my DK2). Also, Frontier didn't say Elite won't be working with CV1 natively at launch, they said they *currently* don't have it working, but they are actively working with Oculus to try and make it happen.

Just trying to set reasonable expectations. Could it be working at launch? Yes. Do we have reason to think it won't be? Absolutely. So best to presume it won't be.

The whole thing reeks of a fallout between Frontier and Oculous, their focus seems to be more on the Vive.

The whole thing reeks of a fallout between Frontier and Oculous, their focus seems to be more on the Vive.
In what way? The fact that they added Vive support when the Vive was supposed to be the first consumer VR device out, or the fact that they stopped working on Oculus support because Oculus announced that each SDK until 1.0 could break support for previous SDKs thus making them do extra work? Or maybe the fact that they were blindsided by the sudden preorder announcement? Yeah, you're right, there are no good reasons for the things they've chosen to do other than "Frontier and Oculus hate each other now".

Caleb187

Welp, Palmer just posted this to his twitter.

sYiMEx4.png

Might be nothing, but I have my fingers crossed.

For anyone that doesn't get it, the image means there's one more thing that hasn't been mentioned yet

Oh baby, rift secretsauce? I'm ready for one more thing Palmer. Give it to me slowly so I may enjoy every nuance.

In what way? The fact that they added Vive support when the Vive was supposed to be the first consumer VR device out, or the fact that they stopped working on Oculus support because Oculus announced that each SDK until 1.0 could break support for previous SDKs thus making them do extra work? Or maybe the fact that they were blindsided by the sudden preorder announcement? Yeah, you're right, there are no good reasons for the things they've chosen to do other than "Frontier and Oculus hate each other now".

In the sense that after the 0.7 sdk launched Frontier threw their arms up saying fuck this we'll wait till 1.0, meanwhile the Vive happens and any and all talk of VR coming out of Frontier is now focused exclusively around it. The "fallout" isn't hey we hate each other now, but more like our priorities have shifted so we're putting what few resources we do have behind this other product. I would not be surprised if some co-marketing deal happens and we end up with Occulous/Eve and Vive/Elite as launch window competition.

I'm in for both either way, and I need Elite VR in my life something crazy.

WarpathDC

In the sense that after the 0.7 sdk launched Frontier threw their arms up saying fuck this we'll wait till 1.0, meanwhile the Vive happens and any and all talk of VR coming out of Frontier is now focused exclusively around it. The "fallout" isn't hey we hate each other now, but more like our priorities have shifted so we're putting what few resources we do have behind this other product. I would not be surprised if some co-marketing deal happens and we end up with Occulous/Eve and Vive/Elite as launch window competition.

Well SBS 3d is in the options menu now. I'm sure with some tinkering you can get it at least partially functional on CV1. I'm with you though, I need some ED on OR

Durante

Well, it kind of makes sense to prioritize OpenVR unless you are bought.

By supporting OpenVR you can support both Rift and Vive (and other) HMDs. By supporting the Oculus SDK (which is also constantly shifting still) you only support the rift.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Most games do not utilize async time warp at this time. Saying sub-75 hz/unstable frame rates are ok in VR is very misleading. A well-qualified statement of "sub-optimal frame rates can be mitigated to a point by asynchronous time warp" would be far more accurate.

I'm definitely not suggesting that sub-75(90 soon) hz/fps are ok for VR, but I'm also curious as to the drawbacks of Asynchronous Timewarp and why it is not essentially mandatory for every game.

Flyinside has 2 fps counters, one for FSX and one that is labeled Asynchronous Timewarp. I assume the FSX counter is showing the true framerate that FSX is running at and that the Timewarp counter is showing what the image being sent to the goggles is running at. FSX's framerate can fluctuate from 100+ down to 35ish depending on the density. As long as it stays above 55ish fps, the Asynchronous Timewarp fps meter stays locked at 75 and the image remains judder free. When fsx' framerate dips into the 40's then the Async fps meter goes down as well and Judder starts.

I guess I just don't understand the drawbacks of Asynchronous Timewarp. When I see the Flight sim X FPS meter showing 55 fps and I move my head rapidly left and right and it's just as smooth as a locked 75fps without timewarp, it makes me wonder why it's not being used in every game. I know it's cheating, but if your brain can't tell, does it really matter? Of course the best solution will always be to just never go below the target framerate, but timewarp sure seems to help massively in situations where you do and I don't really see what the negative tradeoff is.

In the sense that after the 0.7 sdk launched Frontier threw their arms up saying fuck this we'll wait till 1.0
Yeah, because Oculus announced that 0.7 was going to break compatibility with 0.6 without extra work by the developer, and that 0.8, 0.9, and 1.0 probably would keep breaking support with each previous SDK as well, as the SDK and API changed. No real company with a real budget would do the extra work of supporting each update for little purpose except make a very very small market of people with development kits happier. Best to wait until it all stabilizes and do all the work at once.

meanwhile the Vive happens and any and all talk of VR coming out of Frontier is now focused exclusively around it.
Well yeah, because Vive was supposed to come out in 2015. Are you saying it was a bad business decision that nobody else would make, to support the first VR headset on day 1? That the only possible reason to make this business decision is that there's some sort of falling out with Oculus?

The "fallout" isn't hey we hate each other now, but more like our priorities have shifted so we're putting what few resources we do have behind this other product.
I guess this might be the real problem, you don't know what the term "fallout" means. In business terms, when two companies have a fallout, it means they used to be partners but are now having a huge quarrel or disagreement.

I would not be surprised if some co-marketing deal happens and we end up with Occulous/Eve and Vive/Elite as launch window competition.
It was stated today that there would be NO Vive exclusives whatsoever.

I'm definitely not suggesting that sub-75(90 soon) hz/fps are ok for VR, but I'm also curious as to the drawbacks of Asynchronous Timewarp and why it is not essentially mandatory for every game.

Flyinside has 2 fps counters, one for FSX and one that is labeled Asynchronous Timewarp. I assume the FSX counter is showing the true framerate that FSX is running at and that the Timewarp counter is showing what the image being sent to the goggles is running at. FSX's framerate can fluctuate from 100+ down to 35ish depending on the density. As long as it stays above 55ish fps, the Asynchronous Timewarp fps meter stays locked at 75 and the image remains judder free. When fsx' framerate dips into the 40's then the Async fps meter goes down as well and Judder starts.

I guess I just don't understand the drawbacks of Asynchronous Timewarp. When I see the Flight sim X FPS meter showing 55 fps and I move my head rapidly left and right and it's just as smooth as a locked 75fps without timewarp, it makes me wonder why it's not being used in every game. I know it's cheating, but if your brain can't tell, does it really matter? Of course the best solution will always be to just never go below the target framerate, but timewarp sure seems to help massively in situations where you do and I don't really see what the negative tradeoff is.
Different kinds of games have different needs visually and positionally. Cockpit games like FSX work great with asynchronous time warp because near field objects such as your instruments do not move very much within your field of vision. In a traditional first person shooter however near field objects can parallax significantly, something asynchronous time warp does not handle well. In these cases you're better off without async because of the visual artifacts it could cause.

More info can be found here.

Wallach

I really hope they have Amazon as one of their partners for this launch. I have so much credit sitting on my Amazon account.

luckey pls

ido

Thanks guys for reading my story!

I doubt it will ship before Feb. 1st since the free kickstarter units have until then to fill out their survey.

Hoping for beginning of February though.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Different kinds of games have different needs visually and positionally. Cockpit games like FSX work great with asynchronous time warp because near field objects such as your instruments do not move very much within your field of vision. In a traditional first person shooter however near field objects can parallax significantly, something asynchronous time warp does not handle well. In these cases your better off without async because of the visual artifacts it could cause.

More info can be found here.
Ohhh of course. I can totally see how a fast paced fps game with moving objects that are close to you could have serious problems with the predictive method that Timewarp uses in altering the image from the previous frame. I guess it's probably going to be limited to cockpit based games mainly. It really does work amazingly well in this particular application.

I honestly think FSX/Flyinside with tons of texture mods installed is one of the better oculus showcases, especially for older people. It basically sold my 66 year old dad on the Rift. He's building his first gaming PC and ordering one tomorrow. His 76 year old buddy who is into flight sims was completely blown away when he tried it. They've both played Elite and Asseto Corsa and were certainly impressed, but Flight Simulator X of all games is what sold them on VR.

Bizzquik

Yup. My guess is that the rift will be available shipping tomorrow at pre-order.

That would be amazing.
GAF would break. Oculus would own CES. ...I would need new pants.

Seriously, though - not outside the realm of possibility.

Let's review:
* Palmer's last, big tease - one more thing.
* A statement that Oculus would be continuing to take pre-orders. (...because the orders could in fact be back-orders?)
* No pricing information released. Actually no updated information of any kind released. Tomorrow will be a megaton of an info dump regardless.
* Oh, right: CES starts tomorrow - meaning the launch of the Oculus could essentially get double the exposure because the media is already planning on talking tech anyway.

I'm ready. Palmer, I'm ready.

I doubt it will ship before Feb. 1st since the free kickstarter units have until then to fill out their survey.

I say first come first serve in regards to KS and pre order priority, basically if you already redeemed it via KS you get lumped in with pre orders for shipments, whenever that was done in the queue. Late KS redeemers will just get theirs later, it's not like their stock will be low for this. I just want this thing yesterday really :p

Bsigg12

I'm betting they have already allocated those units, have them held back awaitng pwople to complete the survey by the 1st, and everything starting tomorrow is fair game for anyone.

ido

I'm betting they have already allocated those units, have them held back awaitng pwople to complete the survey by the 1st, and everything starting tomorrow is fair game for anyone.

I hope so.

I don't know what I would do if it seriously started shipping in a few days.

I cannot contain my hype at all anymore.

Bizzquik

This is usually where I roll my eyes but, fuck that, dude earned this moment. I hope he has an awesome day tomorrow!

Totally agree.
I'm happy for him. His dream is being realized. Its a neat moment and - as a consumer - I'm happy to be a part of it.

UnrealEck

Does anyone know if it's a partial deposit or if it'll be charging you the full price of the headset to pre-order?

Clawww

"‏@PalmerLuckey
No more news till tomorrow. Need time to achieve final form."

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684594893369389056

Palmer is going next level.

man, all my hype from the past 2-3 years that's waxed and waned is coming to a head and I'm totally giddy

I hope it's another big surprise. earlier than expected shipping would be huge, or at least something that will be ready for whenver the CV is in people's hands.

The whole thing reeks of a fallout between Frontier and Oculus, their focus seems to be more on the Vive.

There is no fallout, it's just that Elite never implemented the proper VR support (direct mode) in the first place. The game stopping working with the DK2 wasn't because a fallout, but because the extended mode was deprecated. There isn't a lot for Oculus to do, they already do what they have to do, give the SDK with documentation and samples. Unless Frontier expected for Oculus to do their job and write the needed code in their fricking game.

elyetis

Once it's released, what content is available? Is it just a few games/applications atm?

( sorry for the noob question)
We can only hope that we will know more about that tomorow.
There is already a few games a good/decent DK2 support, some of which kind of fell behind with the new SDK release ( AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, or elite dangerous, I don't know about euro truck simulator 2 ). Steam has a VR tag which should help.

There is also quite a few games where VR was announced but the devs really didn't make it a priority ( the last Tex murphy, or tabletop simulator, SUPERHOT even if that one still isn't released ), so maybe with a consumer version release it will become their new focus.

Then there is unofficial VR support, from mods ( like the current minecraft VR support ) or with the use of software like VorpX ( give some surprisingly good result with skyrim ).

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think Palmer's tweets have obviously been for the sole purpose of cushioning the blow and altering people's personal definitions of the 'right' price for the product.
I mean, people expect it to be 499$/599$ at this point because of his tweets.

If it lands now at 399$, people will think it's an absolute steal and get caught up in pre-order hype. If he hadn't warned about their 'premium' pricepoint beforehand a lot of people would have ended up flipping their shit at a four hundred dollar headset. I'm really curious to see how it all pans out, I might be totally off and they actually end up putting a 600$ unit on shelves.

cheezcake

huh. apparently someone on /v/ is claiming they got a pre-order to go through.

knowing /v/, it's probably not legit but we'll find out in a few hours!

Seems fake purely because the price is a flat $600, no way they don't go the old $599 or $590 trick

$599 is a believable price all being said and done. I think the hardcore PC gaming market is ready for that kind of pricing. Of course if it will be $499 then it will be even better but I think the mentality of a $599 price point is there.

Palmer is infectiously nerdy. I really like the guy.

Let's hope the final form makes my pants sticky. Oh gosh, I mean... turns out to be cool.

Ready and waiting to preorder. Nice that they won't charge until it ships.

I don't believe that /v/ screenshot for a second, but that price point is probably true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom