• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

Seems fake purely because the price is a flat $600, no way they don't go the old $599 or $590 trick

Yep, it's proven to have an effect on people and they're not so stupid to put $600 as it will result in less sales than $599.

Plum

So when's the conference? Is there a conference? I can't seem to find anything on here or Oculus' website.

Plum

I think info will be released on the website.

Probably a preorder page, plus maybe a list of launch games.

So keep reloading that blog then... hope it doesn't explode at 8am PST.

[EDIT] Anyone know if it's only going to be Oculus' site you can preorder from?

ekim

Do we know the release date yet? Or is this also announced together with the opening of the preorders?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I should re-rip my 3D blurays. I'd done them before in 1080p SBS mode, but hopefully the VR cinema apps will support higher resolutions/frame packed?

ekim

I should re-rip my 3D blurays. I'd done them before in 1080p SBS mode, but hopefully the VR cinema apps will support higher resolutions/frame packed?

The VR Cinemas I tried so far had no limitation in terms of resolution. So go for it!

zguL

I really don't want to set the expectations too high, but keep in mind that according to the following article the first Rift had already come off the production line in October 1st, 2015!

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-first-oculus-rift-has-rolled-off-the-production-line/

Think about this for a while. Wouldn't it be easy for Oculus to ship immediately, or within a few days? I agree that Palmer's recent tweet about not charging until shipping throws a small wrench into this theory, but still. It could happen.

huh. apparently someone on /v/ is claiming they got a pre-order to go through.

knowing /v/, it's probably not legit but we'll find out in a few hours!

No tax breakdown on a US ground shipment is strange. No email at all listed on the confirmation screen is extremely strange.

It wouldn't be too hard to fake this tbh.

I really don't want to set the expectations too high, but keep in mind that according to the following article the first Rift had already come off the production line in October 1st, 2015!

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-first-oculus-rift-has-rolled-off-the-production-line/

Think about this for a while. Wouldn't it be easy for Oculus to ship immediately, or within a few days? I agree that Palmer's recent tweet about not charging until shipping throws a small wrench into this theory, but still. It could happen.

omg you're right I just received mine

Plum

As much as this would be cool I personally hope it doesn't happen. I'd much rather save up until April or so any my birthday's near then anyway. Now I'll have no chance of preordering it.

The Kickstarter backers have been given a February deadline for claiming their headsets, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't launch sooner... perhaps Palmer wants to pull a Jobs-like 'Today' megaton? :)

ekim

No tax breakdown on a US ground shipment is strange. No email at all listed on the confirmation screen is extremely strange.

It wouldn't be too hard to fake this tbh.

See - I also got my order through already. yay
untitledr4sig.png

I forgot to add the shipping to the total. lol

Ohhh of course. I can totally see how a fast paced fps game with moving objects that are close to you could have serious problems with the predictive method that Timewarp uses in altering the image from the previous frame. I guess it's probably going to be limited to cockpit based games mainly. It really does work amazingly well in this particular application.

I honestly think FSX/Flyinside with tons of texture mods installed is one of the better oculus showcases, especially for older people. It basically sold my 66 year old dad on the Rift. He's building his first gaming PC and ordering one tomorrow. His 76 year old buddy who is into flight sims was completely blown away when he tried it. They've both played Elite and Asseto Corsa and were certainly impressed, but Flight Simulator X of all games is what sold them on VR.
That sounds awesome, I need to try FSX. Showing the Rift off to other people is one of the aspects I really look forward to!
Anyone looking to sell their dk2?

I am. I've tried and failed to sell it on eBay twice now because of people that didn't pay.

Amazon appears to have a new page up for the Oculus. I actually found this about two hours ago, but maybe only an hour ago they've updated the description a bit (where it says it comes with EVE and the Xbox One controller) so it looks like Amazon will be available for pre-orders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VF0IXEY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can see it.

CowntChocula

Neo Member
The Kickstarter backers have been given a February deadline for claiming their headsets, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't launch sooner... perhaps Palmer wants to pull a Jobs-like 'Today' megaton? :)

The only problem I see is that in the article it mentions that the unit in the picture wasn't actually ready to go out to consumers so I wonder when they are actually producing those that are ready to go.

"She told me that while the headset in the photo wasn’t ready to ship to customers, it was the very first consumer Oculus Rift to run through the same production line that will eventually manufacture the headsets in bulk. There’s tweaks left to be done, but the manufacturing process is in place, she explained."

The only problem I see is that in the article it mentions that the unit in the picture wasn't actually ready to go out to consumers so I wonder when they are actually producing those that are ready to go.

"She told me that while the headset in the photo wasn’t ready to ship to customers, it was the very first consumer Oculus Rift to run through the same production line that will eventually manufacture the headsets in bulk. There’s tweaks left to be done, but the manufacturing process is in place, she explained."

Yeah, it's probably one of the test production runs. They usually do a few before mass producing.

Hip Hop

Amazon appears to have a new page up for the Oculus. I actually found this about two hours ago, but maybe only an hour ago they've updated the description a bit (where it says it comes with EVE and the Xbox One controller) so it looks like Amazon will be available for pre-orders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VF0IXEY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

OH, I thought they would be selling it just through the Oculus website.

Most likely we will also pre orders for other big retailers like Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.

Arucardo

OH, I thought they would be selling it just through the Oculus website.

Most likely we will also pre orders for other big retailers like Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.

Lots of webstores even in EU have had pre-order pages for the rift for ages now. Unless they've secretly been manufacturing crazy amounts of them they're going to sell out just on the rift/facebook store initially.

I personally wouldn't expect to be able to get one nearly as fast from any other store than Oculus' own.

Arucardo

Yeah, probably worth it to just wait until local retailers start selling it.

Unless you're planning to wait another 6 months or more I don't think you'll pay much less ordering from a local retailer than oculus directly, you'll be paying the VAT anyway.

Unless you're planning to wait another 6 months or more I don't think you'll pay much less ordering from a local retailer than oculus directly, you'll be paying the VAT anyway.

And potentially paying the retailer's margin too (unless big ones like Amazon start stocking it).

Would be nice if they at least opened up the purchase site a couple of hours before so we could see a list of potential retailers, setup an account if we need to and see the price.

https://shop.oculus.com/ - I think this will be the link.

store.oculus.com gives a 404.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom