• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutwolf

Not revealing price to me screams a price they don't want to give the media time to pick up on and digest before letting people impulse preorder.

Sort of like when a blockbuster movie doesn't have any screenings for the press before release.

I'm guessing $599 or more, although I can see $499 being a price that isn't that bad, but Oculus was still worried would be nitpicked.

nakedeyes

Banned
We do? Where do I see that out of interest?

Did you sign up for yours? You have to go claim it on the Kickstarter website. You enter an address, and on the next confirmation page there is an expected delivery date of "February 2016". Of course, this could be inaccurate, but it's something.

Did you sign up for yours? You have to go claim it on the Kickstarter website. You enter an address, and on the next confirmation page there is an expected delivery date of "February 2016". Of course, this could be inaccurate, but it's something.

I did mine right when it came in. The target delivery date that came up was for the DK1. I guess they updated that then.

Gooralski

Neo Member
Except, this thing is WAY more deluxe than the DK2. I'm not talking about the screen tech (though two screens are more expensive than one screen), but the physical device - moving parts with a gear system, built-in headphones with custom DAC and amplifier, fabric lining, IR lights in the back strap for 360-degree detection, all custom-made parts including custom-designed fabric... the base unit should cost quite a bit more to build than DK2.

Yes, i can agree with that, probably screens will cost them extra, but on the other hand, cost of making iPhone is around $200, the rest of the price is profit for Apple.

Don't get my hopes up, man!

nakedeyes

Banned
I did mine right when it came in. The target delivery date that came up was for the DK1. I guess they updated that then.
On my page. It actually showed all my "rewards". Both my DK1 and my CV1 and it had expected delivery dates for both next to each of them. I bet you could log in and see the info still.. Lemme check.

Well it's still got to be manufactured and it's not like Microsoft is getting anything else directly out of it (no W10 or X1 exclusivity, no Xbox games outside of that weird cinema thing, etc). I'm not clued in on business deals but I was basically agreeing that the controller won't add much to the price at all.

Microsoft is definitely getting stuff out of it, Oculus created the "Stream your XBox One games to your Oculus Rift in a virtual area with a big-screen TV" thing. Every Oculus Rift is now a sort-of advertisement for XBox One, where you can play XBox One games with an XBox One controller in your Rift. It'll probably have a big chunk of the Oculus Home interface that shows up whenever you start up the Rift, too.

Also, Oculus is porting Minecraft to the Rift for Microsoft, though that benefits both companies.

Arucardo

I love how people can say this with such conviction. "No way it'll add more than $30." How on earth would YOU know? :p I'd imagine MS would give it to them for free or, at worst, some subsidized price of cost. MS has to bring SOMETHING to the partnership besides its good looks.

The xbox one gamepad costs around 15usd to manufacture so Oculus could easily be paying only 20usd for it if not less because of the deal(s) they have in place with MS.

EDIT: full disclosure, I was under the impression that it would also add to the price but Teknopathetic set me straight :p

On my page. It actually showed all my "rewards". Both my DK1 and my CV1 and it had expected delivery dates for both next to each of them. I bet you could log in and see the info still.. Lemme check.

I can see the details I provided in the survey but no delivery on the reward...

Here for the pricing announcement as I can't actually afford a Rift yet - guessing it'll be $499 but something tells me it might actually be much higher than that.

StillEdge

Can I cancel my order if the price is to high? I want to be the first to put in an order, but because no price has been talked we are going in blind.

Can I cancel my order if the price is to high? I want to be the first to put in an order, but because no price has been talked we are going in blind.

I mean, you'll see the price before you hit "order", unless you're going so blindingly fast that you miss it. But I'm sure you'll be able to cancel, and they don't charge until they ship.

YuShtink

They are going to release pricing and tons of other info at 8am right when pre-orders launch. You will know the price when you pre-order. But even still, yes, you can also cancel pre-orders at any time. Palmer has confirmed himself.

nakedeyes

Banned
I can see the details I provided in the survey but no delivery on the reward...
Yeah. I also cannot find it after the fact. I swear I saw it at order time though. But I guess take it with a grain of salt. There isn't a single other February date on there anywhere so I don't think I was confusing another date with it..

They are announcing the price and opening up pre-orders at the same time. Headlines should have read "Oculus Rift price announced at 11 AM EST. Pre-orders to open at the same time." not "Oculus Rift pre-orders start at 11 AM".

StillEdge

I mean, you'll see the price before you hit "order", unless you're going so blindingly fast that you miss it. But I'm sure you'll be able to cancel, and they don't charge until they ship.

As a sneakerhead you purchase things blindly. I know there is unlimited stock, but if it's like iPhones you want to get your order in first. And if anyone here buys an iPhone when they get announced you know 1-3 minutes makes a difference.

Yeah. I also cannot find it after the fact. I swear I saw it at order time though. But I guess take it with a grain of salt. There isn't a single other February date on there anywhere so I don't think I was confusing another date with it..

You have to fill out the survey by February first, so there's that date.

As a sneakerhead you purchase things blindly. I know their is unlimited stock, but if it's like iPhones you want to get your order in first. And if anyone here buys an iPhone when they get announced you know 1-3 minutes makes a difference.

Hah, ok. Granted iPhone launches are several order of magnitude larger than this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Maybe, but I'm still not sure. Early adopters can only get you so far.

Eventually they will need a consumer friendly price, but I think there are enough people out there to generate some money and interest while upgrading the tech and lowering the price. Of course, I say that as the guy who paid $600 for a launch iphone that had next to no real functionality, $750 for a 3DO decades ago, etc.

Can't wait to finally get on an hour and a half from now once it's stopped crashing.

It's being hosted on Facebook's servers, I think they are used to handling lots of traffic. Also, due to the insanely powerful computer needed to power this, I doubt they'll be slammed too hard.

I got the final rift (developer kit) thing with the Touch controllers and you guys are in for a ride. The packaging is SUPER nice and high quality. Thing of beauty.

45 minutes from preorders and still don't know whether I want this or the Vive.

i would wait for reviews! would be terrible to spend 300-500 bucks and later find out the other is better or has better entertainment support!

no need to rush. These things wont sell like hotcakes i think. You will get one online or in a store. And if all the VR stuff bombs ( i hope not, i want one) then you get a Rift with a Happy Meal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom