• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if I even need to wear glasses since I'm near sighted.

Everything will be technically near the eye. I have no idea

Glasses are fine in CV1. I haven't heard from a single source say otherwise, while people have tried it without a problem (such as Norm from tested).

Not sure it'll work out like that as you're not focusing on something close to your eyes, the lenses are tricking your eyes to look past the screen and focus to infinity. So in theory, I think, you'll just be near sighted in VR like you are in real life. But I might be wrong about that.

TheRed

Man I want to pre order this but I also really like what I see of the vive, no way I'll be able to get 2 headsets, hard choice.

Hopefully!

I fear the development will be slightly slower than that. Probably only a new HMD every 2 years.
Only as long as there are worthwhile additions and it doesn't stagnate like the development of "phones" and just does a new model every year for the sake of having a new model. Like cars.

I just want to demo the damn thing :/ past two years at pax east i could not get into line since it was capped

will there be units in store eventually or demo units?

ps3ud0

Surprised they haven't released the price an hour before pre orders just so it reduces the load from people waiting for 4pm GMT just to see a price that might delay their purchase.

I wonder if there will be people buying just to sell on for profit as no doubt it will sell out pretty quickly...

ps3ud0 8)

As a consumer I am completely fine with that.

Me too. I don't actually want to spend $600+ every year for the next shiny headset. In fact, one of my worries is that the upgrade cycle will be so quick, it'll render old hardware obsolete way too quickly, making it even harder to justify spending the money.

It should be great for glasses wearers:

Product VP Nate Mitchell said:
We decided not to do focus. [...] We decided to support as many glasses rims as we could. And so we've designed the facial interface to better suit more glasses frames. Mine are actually a little big, but the goal is that we can get more glasses in there.

I wear glasses everyday, so I wanted to be able to put on the headset and toss it on without having to wear my contacts. That was a big focus for us.

I have a DK2, and I wear my glasses with that - CV1 is supposed to be quite a bit better for glasses than DK2.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
NA preorders on PSN. You are stuck with a digital preorder.

And I am stuck with a Kickstarter in developmental hell.

I'm surprised at the PSN. I would expect that to change eventually, but i guess no one has challenged it yet.

georly

Hey uh...good point. I'm near sighted as well.

I'm near sighted as well and thought as much. I can read a book or play 3DS without glasses, no problem.

I tried DK2 at pax w/ no glasses and it was way too blurry :/ The lens simulated real life and anything that was 'far away' was blurry for me. I had to put glasses back on.

I plan on getting laser eye surgery just for vr, haha

There will be a lot of releases and iterations for VR headsets in the coming years. Any new tech will see that and the initial gains will be huge but I'm not waiting for version 5 that finally works out all the bugs. This is something I want to experience ASAP.

Dreathlock

I really dont know if i should pre-order this or wait for the vive and a comparison. Will there be any exclusive games to one vr device? How is the picture quality of this compared to the vive?

Plum

There will be a lot of releases and iterations for VR headsets in the coming years. Any new tech will see that and the initial gains will be huge but I'm not waiting for version 5 that finally works out all the bugs. This is something I want to experience ASAP.

Yeah, I'll get the third or fourth versions but right now there aren't enough obvious issues with the device to make me wait. I've used cardboard and I know that non-4K 120hz screens won't deter me.

Arucardo

I'm near sighted as well and thought as much. I can read a book or play 3DS without glasses, no problem.

I tried DK2 at pax w/ no glasses and it was way too blurry :/ The lens simulated real life and anything that was 'far away' was blurry for me. I had to put glasses back on.

I plan on getting laser eye surgery just for vr, haha

Ever tried contacts? I've been using night and day contacts for a few years now (one pair is good for a month) even while I did my 12 months in the army without any problems.

My only concern with frequent updates is being limited by the device. Take PC where we're used to just turning down settings when we can't pull off the best. My worry is features from gen 2 completely negating gen 1 and so forth since it needs to eventually have some level of standardisation to truly crack the mass market down the line as intended.

Obviously it's going to have to progress fast out the gate but I'd hope it won't be too long until we can safely say 'that headset is good for 4 years or so'

I really dont know if i should pre-order this or wait for the vive and a comparison. Will there be any exclusive games to one vr device? How is the picture quality of this compared to the vive?

Oculus Rift has a few exclusive games, basically ones developed or published by Oculus themselves. Vive will have exclusive games for a while just because they will be designed for the motion controllers, which won't be available on Oculus Rift until some time the second half of 2016.

Falchion

I just want to demo the damn thing :/ past two years at pax east i could not get into line since it was capped

will there be units in store eventually or demo units?

I want to know this as well because I've never gotten a chance to try any of the upcoming VR sets and if I'm dropping $400-600 on something, I want to experience it first.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member

I don't wear my glasses when I'm using the DK2 and I'm pretty badly near sighted. It's no problem at all. It's actually quite clear and easy to read text considering how low the resolution of the DK2 is. The CV1 should be even better.

UnrealEck

I want to know this as well because I've never gotten a chance to try any of the upcoming VR sets and if I'm dropping $400-600 on something, I want to experience it first.

If it's any consolation, you can probably sell it for a decent price. There's a chance it'll be in high demand after the first load have sold.

I can read pretty well without glasses but street signs and such are a bit blurry, forget my actual prescription and I don't wear my glasses. I 'could' ... but it's not as 'comfy' or 'easy' as some say, or maybe I'm just more sensitive.

But I found with the DK2 I can adjust to where I don't actually need to wear them.

If you need glasses to see stuff far away, you will need your glasses with the rift. If you need them to see stuff up close you will not. The lenses focus the screens at infinity, so even though you have to converge your eyes to look at objects up close, you don't actually refocus your eyes when you look at stuff up close.

This isn't anything as bad as it sounds. If you watch 3D movies you're already used to converging your eyes without refocusing them.

nakedeyes

Banned
I wish I knew if PSVR is going to PC compatible or not...
I really wouldn't count on it. It has an HDMI in and out on the PSVR box. So you would have to output over HDMI on PC in the exact format the PSVR is expecting. You also plug the PS eye camera directly into this box.

I bet you there will be community hax to make it work in some regard, but I would highly doubt it will officially work on PC. Would be an amazing cool move by Sony if they set it up to work like that tho!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I just hope it won't be one of those "gone in minutes" scenario, especially given that there'll be scalpers for sure.

They already said it won't be the case. They'll accept as many preorders as they get. Later preorders will just ship later.

BiggNife

I wish I knew if PSVR is going to PC compatible or not...

Not officially but I am like 99% sure people will be able to make drivers that'll let it work in Oculus/Vive enabled games the same way that there are drivers that let you use DS3/DS4s in games with 360/Xbone controller support

georly

Ever tried contacts? I've been using night and day contacts for a few years now (one pair is good for a month) even while I did my 12 months in the army without any problems.

Yup, for two years I tried them. Pain in the butt. They never stay on 'right,' constantly slip and cause me double vision or blurriness, or just straight up fall out. That and the daily process of taking them out/putting them in is way more work than just putting on glasses.

Maybe I suck at wearing them, maybe the eye dr gave me the wrong kind, but I've had days where something would happen to one of them, and I wouldn't have access to a backup, so I'd either have to use one eye or not be able to see all day, which is super dangerous if I needed to drive. Never had that issue with glasses. Worse case is they'll get hit and scratched but I can still use them.

I'd rather have it all done with and get lasik once a decade or so.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

On my Gear VR I can see better without my contacts/glasses but YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom