• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need glasses to see stuff far away, you will need your glasses with the rift. If you need them to see stuff up close you will not. The lenses focus the screens at infinity, so even though you have to converge your eyes to look at objects up close, you don't actually refocus your eyes when you look at stuff up close.

Odd, I'm the exact opposite. I need glasses to clear things up far away and I don't need them when I use the DK2 (or prefer not to use them for comfort) and I don't notice a difference with or without them for the most part.

Not officially but I am like 99% sure people will be able to make drivers that'll let it work in Oculus/Vive enabled games the same way that there are drivers that let you use DS3/DS4s in games with 360/Xbone controller support

DS3 / DS4 already work as Bluetooth controllers for games that support any old controller out of the box. The PSVR isn't going to work for anything on PC out of the box.

I want to know this as well because I've never gotten a chance to try any of the upcoming VR sets and if I'm dropping $400-600 on something, I want to experience it first.

im sure. But dont expect to see unit out in the wild anytime soon. Enthusiast product thus is right now,

Y2JDMBFAN

Neo Member
I still haven't figured out if this is better than the HTC Vive...

I'm also a bit worried, because I get motion sickness, that I won't even be able to use this once I get it.

Does anyone know if they charge right away or just when they ship?

I'm also a bit worried, because I get motion sickness, that I won't even be able to use this once I get it.

When they ship.

EDIT: Dang, fast movin' thread!

Less than 10 MINUTES!!

Odd, I'm the exact opposite. I need glasses to clear things up far away and I don't need them when I use the DK2 (or prefer not to use them for comfort) and I don't notice a difference with or without them for the most part.

That is odd. I know the lenses are focused at infinity. Perhaps it's just down to the pixels being relatively large.

Compsiox

Banned

They don't charge right away. When they ship. Vive is better for its tracking. Optics and lenses a little worse than oculus. Tracking makes up for it.

When shipped in the past for dk versions

MaxiLive

They said you'll be charged when it ships.

You really want a Walmart demo unit touching your face?

after taking it off:

CornRoast9_t500.jpg

kahi

Lets hope they don't charge until shipment and I can update payment info after pre-ordering. I keep my credit cards in my safe at home and forgot to bring a credit card to work to pre-order with and would rather not transfer money out of savings/explain to the wife why XXX dollars vanished right before a big trip we are taking :)

I think it's safe to say it won't be. It's just a matter of whether or not you think the quality difference is worth the price gap which we don't know enough about yet. But if you want the top of the line, most premium VR experience, the Vive is what you want.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
That is odd. I know the lenses are focused at infinity. Perhaps it's just down to the pixels being relatively large.

Lenses are focused to infinity, eyes, but the virtual screen appears as if it's a just a few feet away from you. So he is probably not nearsighted enough to need glasses in oder to see the screen clearly.

They don't charge right away. When they ship. Vive is better for its tracking. Optics and lenses a little worse than oculus. Tracking makes up for it.

I disagree with 'tracking makes up for it'. The biggest issue I've had with DK2 has never been tracking, it's been resolution. To each his own though ... I play mostly cockpit games and have done no 'room VR' stuff.

I personally don't really care about room VR right now so optics is #1 for me. With 75hz and the DK2 camera, it's been great. I imagine the CV1 tracking system is even more robust.

Wallach

I wonder if there is any good reason I shouldn't order from Amazon assuming pre-orders are open there at the same time. Like maybe the Touch pre-orders "queue" won't apply to anyone that didn't order from them directly.

Lets hope they don't charge until shipment and I can update payment info after pre-ordering. I keep my credit cards in my safe at home and forgot to bring a credit card to work to pre-order with and would rather not transfer money out of savings/explain to the wife why XXX dollars vanished right before a big trip we are taking :)

They won't charge until shipping, that was announced last night. Keep in mind, though, for all we know it ships tomorrow...

Compsiox

Banned
I disagree with 'tracking makes up for it'. The biggest issue I've had with DK2 has never been tracking, it's been resolution. To each his own though ... I play mostly cockpit games and have done no 'room VR' stuff.

I personally don't really care about room VR right now so optics is #1 for me. With 75hz and the DK2 camera, it's been great. I imagine the CV1 tracking system is even more robust.

You don't care about room tracking so there you go. Just get the rift.

More than $500 will really kill a lot of hype lol . Hope not.

No matter what the initial price is, the first batch of Rifts is going to sell like crazy. However if it is above $500 it won't see a huge amount of adoption by more casual gamers unfortunately. I'm still expecting it to drop at $650 based on some of Palmer's tweets, but I would love to see it drop at $500 or lower to let more people experience it as soon as possible.

My only concern with frequent updates is being limited by the device. Take PC where we're used to just turning down settings when we can't pull off the best. My worry is features from gen 2 completely negating gen 1 and so forth since it needs to eventually have some level of standardisation to truly crack the mass market down the line as intended.

Obviously it's going to have to progress fast out the gate but I'd hope it won't be too long until we can safely say 'that headset is good for 4 years or so'

If I wasn't still mad at Steam's response to the account breach I'd probably wait for the Vive, but Oculus has been refreshingly open and consumer friendly to this point that I want to give them my business.

Lenses are focused to infinity, eyes, but the virtual screen appears as if it's a just a few feet away from you. So he is probably not nearsighted enough to need glasses in oder to see the screen clearly.

there is no 'virtual' screen. things are rendered 1 to 1 scale within a FOV window that is somewhat like wearing goggles. things feel as far away from you as they would in the real world, whatever they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom