• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the price holds, then I'll be happy.

I'll be mad if they sell it at $700 and then a month later sell it for $500 or less and screw over the early adopters..

The only case I can think of where that happened was with the first iPhone, launching at $600 and dropping to $500 a month later. In that situation, though, Apple gave the early adopters $100 gift cards for their store.

Most likely based on rumors we have been hearing, the price of all of the equipment included, and previous tweets from an exec at Oculus confirming that this isn't going to be some cheap entry into the industry. Obviously everyone is hoping for around $400, but we'll see...
But, the price of all the equipment included was $1500, and Oculus lists the price of the computer as starting at $1000. So that would mean the price was $500, not $650. And I haven't heard a single rumor about that, or about it not coming out until March or April (really, you think they aren't going to release it in Q1 2016 like they've been saying all along, up through a couple weeks ago?)

So, you preorder... But the price? I don't understand.

Everyone is so scary to talk about VR prices?

Because they're going to break the hype dynamic of VR. Tech is expensive and people don't want to understand that. They want powerful systems with innovation but for 300$, they want 0,99$ mobile games but they don't want iap, they want 30$ AAA games but they don't want fps/res compromises or rushed end dev...

Price should legitimately be a little high for the majority. New tech if it's quality has to cost more than what's already there... so yeah less than 400$ (for full package, VR Headset, Xbox Controller and Occulus Touch Controller) and I'll be very surprised.

Dineren

Banned
So they aren't announcing the price before the preorders go live? That's kind of an obnoxious way to handle it. I'll likely order one regardless of the price, but it would be nice to know for sure if I will be bothering with the preorder or not.

I really hope the price is somewhat reasonable, because I am willing to pay something that is unreasonable.

Also, exchange rates + VAT is going to fuck the price for me regardless.

Chû Totoro;191201475 said:
Because they're going to break the hype dynamic of VR. Tech is expensive and people don't want to understand that. They want powerful systems with innovation but for 300$, they want 0,99$ mobile games but they don't want iap, they want 30$ AAA games but they don't want fps/res compromises or rushed end dev...

Price should legitimately be a little high for the majority. New tech if it's quality has to cost more than what's already there... so yeah less than 400$ (for full package, VR Headset, Xbox Controller and Occulus Touch Controller) and I'll be very surprised.

I perfectly understand and i agree with you.

But if i want to preorder something, i should know the final price right?

Galava

The VR headset needs to be bought in a bundle? What if I only need the Rift.

Bsigg12

You don't get the Touch controllers, they won't be out until the second half of 2016.

But, the price of all the equipment included was $1500, and Oculus lists the price of the computer as starting at $1000. So that would mean the price was $500, not $650. And I haven't heard a single rumor about that, or about it not coming out until March or April (really, you think they aren't going to release it in Q1 2016 like they've been saying all along, up through a couple weeks ago?)

Don't forget about R&D plus additional costs as well, although being acquired by FB unequivocally helped offset these costs as well. Also, Q1 is through the end of March, so I was pointing out it would probably release towards the end of it considering preorders are just going up in a few days.

Really people? Why don't you think we'll get the price before or when the pre-orders go live?

Why are they so scared to release a price? lol

I bet it's like $799.

Because they'll be the first to put a hard number out there and there are lots of people who aren't well versed on this stuff that still think these headsets are going to cost around $200. In other words, after they release the price, there's going to be a lot of articles out there talking about how expensive it is (even if it turns out to be as low as $400) and they're going to have to take the main brunt of that negative publicity as opposed to Valve or Sony.

AgeEighty

The Touch Controllers won't be included, though.

Because they'll be the first to put a hard number out there and there are lots of people who aren't well versed on this stuff that still think these headsets are going to cost around $200. In other words, after they release the price, there's going to be a lot of articles out there talking about how expensive it is (even if it turns out to be as low as $400) and they're going to have to take the main brunt of that negative publicity as opposed to Valve or Sony.

Yup, and at least Oculus will be able to counter with "Units sold out in five minutes" articles in the same day.

If you wait to announce the price till the moment pre-orders go live, people will be caught up in the 'If I don't act now I won't get one' hype and will still spend the money. If they announced the price now, a larger number of people would simply say no thanks.

This also makes me think that the final price is actually going to be higher than the $400-$500 range and will come in north of that. (Let's say $650.)

Don't forget about R&D plus additional costs as well, although being acquired by FB unequivocally helped offset these costs as well..
But, they said that the price would be $1500 for a computer and Oculus Rift. That's the cost to the consumer. If you take the $1000 computer out of that, then it's $500. There isn't an R&D or additional costs, because they already included that.

And April is Q2, but there's been no hints at all that it's going to be late towards the end of the quarter - in fact, that they are taking preorders this week points to a release in January or February.

I, too, think this will be in the price range of high-end video cards. $600-700 most likely.

I hope there is an option to get the headset separately, versus in a bundle with controllers, headphones etc.

Two things: first, there is no package that includes all three, at least not for pre-order. Oculus Touch isn't coming until later this year.

Second, and more importantly: if your goal is eventual mass adoption, the price is going to have to come down, full stop. Maybe that doesn't happen today, maybe that doesn't happen this year, but eventually it'll have to happen. Think about how much the total package is to support VR right now, in a barebones capacity. For newcomers without a decent PC, you're looking at over $1000. Premium experience or no, many people just can't afford that; many more won't spend that much on a single device with an unknown games and content ecosystem when their entertainment dollars could be better used elsewhere on products whose value is clearer.

I'll be there at 8 sharp, not missing this. Anything more than 599 and I'll cringe, but still go through with it without hesitation.

Kanhir

Are we talking international preorders too, or US-only? I'm not seeing any way out of the "en-us" portion of the website.

NekoFever

The only case I can think of where that happened was with the first iPhone, launching at $600 and dropping to $500 a month later. In that situation, though, Apple gave the early adopters $100 gift cards for their store.
It's happened a few times with consoles in this country. I remember getting freebies for my N64 and Xbox after they knocked £100 off the prices within a month or two of launch.

War Eagle

I'm guessing $499.99 with the two games included. That's my limit to order day 1.

I hope Touch is $99.99, but I have a feeling it will be closer to $149.99 when it comes out. I wonder if the price for Touch will also be revealed, or just the headset.

DSix

Banned
Let's see the price first (300 is impulse buy range for me).

Otherwise my plan is mostly to wait for the new 14nm GPU series to go with VR.

I perfectly understand and i agree with you.

But if i want to preorder something, i should know the final price right?

100% agree with you and that's why I'm waiting before being too hyped for VR. I think I'll start to think about it when more games will have patch incoming for VR compatibility or when there'll be a VR only game that sold me on the tech. I've tried Samsung Gear already and didn't really enjoyed it... it seems to be one of the worst one in the VR course so I'll give a chance to others (I hope I'll be able to try PS VR somewhere and maybe Oculus since they are dedicated to VR so they have no choice but to offer dedicated well made games).

The VR headset needs to be bought in a bundle? What if I only need the Rift.
Seems that I'm wrong so good for you ^^

You don't get the Touch controllers, they won't be out until the second half of 2016.
Ok didn't knew that... won't it make user base even more fragmented? You can't make a game for 100 different ways to play? Or am I missing something?

The Touch Controllers won't be included, though.
Yeah seems I was all wrong about that.

Two things: first, there is no package that includes all three, at least not for pre-order. Oculus Touch isn't coming until later this year.

Second, and more importantly: if your goal is eventual mass adoption, the price is going to have to come down, full stop. Maybe that doesn't happen today, maybe that doesn't happen this year, but eventually it'll have to happen. Think about how much the total package is to support VR right now, in a barebones capacity. For newcomers without a decent PC, you're looking at over $1000. Premium experience or no, many people just can't afford that; many more won't spend that much on a single device with an unknown games and content ecosystem when their entertainment dollars could be better used elsewhere on products whose value is clearer.

Yeah it'll come down but it may take the whole year before that. Some will just have to be patient since imo it's better to hae good innovations accessible to few and then becoming mass market than trying too hard to offer it to a lot and degrading too much the first vision/concept behind it. But yeah I understand your point... launching price is a very important thing and the time chosen for lowering the price will be crucial too.

500$ at launch and 400$ (maybe this time as a bundle) at the end of the year would be more than an accomplishment imo.

And again most important thing is content so here the games. With awesome games I could even sell a console or other things so I could buy one if like 800$. Without awesome games I won't buy it even at 300$.

(thanks for all the replies).

Gurrry

damn, still no price. originally i thought this would be around 399-499...

but now im starting to think its gonna be even higher..

Dicer

Banned
VR's first major flop incoming....if the price were something for the masses they would have trumpeted it by now.

I want VR to be thing, but it's not going to be this year I think.

amnesiac

VR's first major flop incoming....if the price were something for the masses they would have trumpeted it by now.

Even if the Rift is priced at $900 it will still sell out. The Rift isn't going to be the VR kit aimed at the masses because of the high end PC required to run it.

If Sony nails a ~$300 price point, the PSVR will be the headset the masses flock to (if any). [excluding the GearVR]

Foggy

My guess is that the price and release date will be announced in some capacity tomorrow. I can't imagine they would open up preorders at 8am before they've had a chance to showcase anything.

Bookoo

Don't think anyone even Oculus truly expects it to hit the masses right out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom