• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Robot Pants

headeruoxf1.png

UPDATES
  • (2/2/2015) Mobile Version Gone. Real Version Fixed!
  • (7/22) Mobile Version Added
  • (7/21) Reviews Added
  • (7/20) Added Launch Trailer
  • (7/16) Live Demo of Gameplay http://www.twitch.tv/psnation/c/4678669

1uhi7c.png

First of all, this question offends me, but I'll answer it for you anyway: New ‘N’ Tasty is a remake of the classic PSX/PC game “Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysse”.
What is “Abe’s Oddysee”, you say? Boy, you’re really pushin it aren’t you?... Lucky for you it’s gonna be covered later so be patient and pay attention.
Back to New ‘N’ Tasty for a second. When I say remake I really mean it. None of this HD remake stuff, this is a real from-the-ground-up remake of the original
game with all new assets, sound effects, cutscenes; Everything.
That’s pretty much it. I can see that writing out “New ‘n’ Tasty” every time is gonna become time consuming - I think it‘s those pesky apostrophies. So from now
on let’s refer to New ‘n’ Tasty as simply “‘Tasty”. Great! Moving on.

2mle6u.png

Boy, if these questions keep following this pattern we’re all gonna be very confused very quickly, but I’m glad you asked because this is the coolest thing
about New n’ Ta- err, uhh ‘Tasty! Since Abe’s Oddysee’s release in 1997- no calm down! This isn't where I explain what Abe’s Oddysee is!
Just sit back down. ... Ok. Since its original release, there have been dramatic advancements in videogames and we can now do things that were simply
not possible back then. What do you mean, “Like what?” I’m getting to it! You’re gettin’ to be a real jerk you know that? Just take a gander at this little chart
to see the improvements and additions!

chart5fb2q.png

3ndelw.png

As of now the only way to get ‘Tasty is digitally on the PS4. As a matter of fact, this game will be all digital on every platform. Might as well get that fact out
of the way. In case you missed the dates at the top, the PS4 version will be out in the US and Canada on July 22nd, and the UK and Europe July 23rd.
But have no fear, a PS3, PS VITA, XBOX ONE, Wii U, PC, MAC, AND LINUX version are all in the works and will no doubt be right behind the PS4 version.
Diagram incoming!
boxartzqya9.png

quikbuy01cv1.png

4bdf7e.png

You really got a one-track mind, don't you? Yes. The moment you’ve been waiting for is finally here.
I really can’t believe you don’t know what Abe’s Oddysee is. It’s just about the best game ever made! ... Well wait, no that’s not true. I mean it’s good,
but the best ever made? Hardly. Actually come to think of it, it’s not very good at all... Boy, what a stinker that game was! Heh, thank Odd for this
remake, huh? Maybe it’ll be better this time around. I can’t believe I got so worked up when you said you didn’t know what it was! Sorry about that.
....No wait a minute! It WAS one of the best games ever made! The story goes like this:
You’re a lonely Mudokon floor-waxer named Abe who works at a meat factory run by Glukkons called Rupture Farms. Now one ni-...Wh-what’s
a Mudokon? Don’t know what a Glukkon is? Floor-waxer?.....
Ok we still aren’t ready for this. On to the characters!

5vmedx.png

abe-characteriak5e.png

character-1rasqk.png

character-2xeksl.png

64pcrq.png

videosklslb.png

screenstqkdj.png

trophiespwkbt.png

trophies-imgoicjl.png

24requ.png
spacerbkens.png
3avf72.png
spacerbkens.png
417i2l.png
spacerbkens.png
7sbeh3.png
spacerbkens.png
6x9imy.png
spacerbkens.png
5uvi7f.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

9ymep4.png
spacerbkens.png
1078et5.png
spacerbkens.png
11y6frv.png
spacerbkens.png
12f9dry.png
spacerbkens.png
13n3cd7.png
spacerbkens.png
14nufjn.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

16jqc77.png
spacerbkens.png
15wmeu2.png
spacerbkens.png
17w3iky.png
spacerbkens.png
189df4w.png
spacerbkens.png
19mfijw.png
spacerbkens.png
20xkixr.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

21lyity.png
spacerbkens.png
371tegq.png
spacerbkens.png
226uc0p.png
spacerbkens.png
248decl.png
spacerbkens.png
262iefd.png
spacerbkens.png
28ftd21.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

31yheco.png
spacerbkens.png
4249jut.png
spacerbkens.png
23e3dwi.png
spacerbkens.png
25bae2h.png
spacerbkens.png
27m2f98.png
spacerbkens.png
29e1iso.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

30z9edo.png
spacerbkens.png
43jjjhb.png
spacerbkens.png
497mjg6.png
spacerbkens.png
50izjuy.png
spacerbkens.png
51k5jns.png
spacerbkens.png
52mxjdx.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

53jwjmh.png
spacerbkens.png
546tjjx.png
spacerbkens.png
555tj0z.png
spacerbkens.png
56lzjhr.png
spacerbkens.png
57xjkwb.png
spacerbkens.png
5822kam.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

83mkiq.png
spacerbkens.png
384ocdu.png
spacerbkens.png
45qsjwr.png
spacerbkens.png
59hjktd.png
spacerbkens.png
60omket.png
spacerbkens.png
34p5f56.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

36ggf0e.png
spacerbkens.png
35euem5.png
spacerbkens.png
3215csw.png
spacerbkens.png
338qdao.png
spacerbkens.png
39crdfo.png
spacerbkens.png
445fjbg.png

bottomspacervrepm.png

4075fdt.png
spacerbkens.png
46d6kbi.png
spacerbkens.png
139jjg.png
spacerbkens.png
47ugkrx.png
spacerbkens.png
48tmkmm.png
spacerbkens.png
41pijso.png

7gcfqk.png

Alright. We've finally covered all the background information on everything, so yes, I can now explain what happened in Abe's Oddysee.
Just so we have all the facts straight, let's consult the official report:

lawyersjsdsu.png

Well, damn. It looks like those slimy Magog Cartel lawyers got a hold of this. Guess you're gonna just have to shell out some cash,
buy 'Tasty, and see what happened for yourself!

..........Who are the Magog Cartel? Oh forget it!!
madugc5u.png

8lzfg8.png

10/10http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art.../11955-Oddworld-New-n-Tasty-Review-Sweet-Meat THE ESCAPIST
Just as Abe's Oddysee was a classic of the PlayStation era, so too should Oddworld: New n' Tasty be a classic of the modern age. More than just a remake, this is a contemporary puzzle-platformer that charms, exasperates, and delights. This is how you do a reboot.

9/10http://www.vandal.net/analisis/ps4/oddworld-abes-oddysee-new-n-tasty/22048 VANDAL ONLINE
Somewhere between being remade and being remastered, Abe's back with an adventure that's a little bit easier, but still full of charm.

9/10http://gamestyle.com/review/oddworld-new-n-tasty-review/ GAMESTYLE
If you have played Abe’s Oddyssey and loved it, then you’ll love what has been achieved here, it is a game you loved and then so much more. If you are going to be experiencing the game for the very first time, then boy, are you in for a treat.

9/10http://www.nowgamer.com/ps4/ps4-review/2489153/oddworld_new_n_tasty_review.html NOWGAMER
Whether you've never played Abe's Oddysee before or you remember the unique breed of puzzle platforming fondly, there's plenty to love about Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty.

9/10http://www.meristation.com/playstation-4/oddworld-abes-oddysee-new-ntasty/analisis-juego/1874949?p=1 MERISTATION
A remake should be something that improves what can be improved while not touching the soul of the original game, and New'n Tasty accomplishes this with high marks.

9/10http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-oddworld-new-n-tasty-review EUROGAMER
More than anything, what really stands out about Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! is the sheer coherency of the original design. It was startling back in 1997 on the PlayStation when games did not often turn up with proper themes to think about, and it's still just as startling in 2014, to be honest, where the grace with which the plot unfolds and the relevance it still has for the real world remain something of an anomaly. This is a story-driven game in which neither game nor story are made to suffer because of the close proximity of such traditionally toxic partners.

9/10http://www.psnation.com/2014/07/21/review-oddworld-new-n-tasty-ps4/ PSNATION
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, if no one knew that this was a remake it would be considered a fantastic beginning to a new series of games. I’ve been deep in thought for the last few days trying to figure out the worst and best remakes that we’ve seen lately, and time and time again, Oddworld: New ’n’ Tasty inevitably rises toward the top of that list. The changes made were all in the best interest of the player, with everything else staying faithful to the original game.

8.5/10http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/21/oddworld-new-n-tasty-review IGN
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is a beautiful remake that irons out nearly all of the problems and limitations of 1997’s Abe's Oddysee while bringing its best qualities to the fore. This ground-up remake looks and feels fresh enough to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with any modern 2D platformer — evidence that Abe's Oddysee really was ahead of its time.

8/10http://www.gameinformer.com/games/o...ddworld-new-n-tasty-review-game-informer.aspx GAME INFORMER
For some of the hardcore fans of the original, New ‘n’ Tasty may disappoint simply because it is different, but – as someone who saved every Mudokon in Abe’s Oddysee – I had a great time revisiting this classic.

8/10http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/24/oddworld-new-n-tasty-review-gourmet-remake-4808497/ METRO
One of the best remakes ever, but also a puzzle platformer that defies its age to offer an enjoyable challenge to gamers both young and old.

8/10http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/2006-oddworld-new-n-tasty-ps4 GAMEBLOG.FR
Revisiting an old recipe through modern standards is not an easy task. But with the passion and wisdom that Just Add Water poured into it, New 'n' Tasty gets even more delicious. Both beautiful for the eyes and easy on the mouth, this remake offers just the right amount of fresh ingredients to revive Abe's Oddysee, while staying true to the original - and still relevant - approach of Oddworld Inhabitants.

8/10http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/oddworld-new-n-tasty-review/1900-6415825/ GAMESPOT
Despite the ads, and occasional frustrations from the fiddly analogue movement, this is a remake that feels as though it was crafted with love and respect.

8/10http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/oddworld_new_n_tasty PUSH SQUARE
Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty is everything that you could hope for from a remake: old issues have been resolved, the levels now flow much more naturally, and the world has never looked better.

8/10http://www.destructoid.com/review-oddworld-new-n-tasty-278263.phtml DESTRUCTOID
One thing that does translate well though is the original style, overlayed on top of the beautiful new visuals. Oddysee's engine has been completely overhauled from scratch with Unity, and it genuinely looks incredible. For comparison's sake I even went back and popped in the original just to see how much New 'n' Tasty has improved, and it was like I wasn't even playing the same game. If you're a huge fan Abe's Oddysee, it's worth buying it again just to see the world of RuptureFarms completely recreated like this.

2995trzm.png

PS4
Robot Pants // eatZeppelin
PontyfaxJr // PontyfaxJr
AnkhWeasel // AnkhWeasel
Shin-Ra // Shin-Ra
GreyOcelot // StevieCMen
icespide // icespide

footer2os8x.png

I cant play all these games Sony stop it :/ Im still playing Guacamelee, havent started on Transistor yet(LTTP), and then you got this Oddworld Rogue Legacy and TLOU:R within a week of each other??? Backlogging intesifies...

Danlord

That is an incredible OT! Well done!

I am super excited for this game. Oddworld was always one of the games that I remember from the PS1 days, I still even have both games from PS1 and Abe's Exoddus for PC in good condition. Hard Mode for me first time, after that I may aim for a platinum depending on how hard some of the hidden trophies are, some of the known ones look like a good challenge, I will certainly try!

Jharp

One of my childhood defining games. In the late 90's, as an eight or nine year old, I would go to my cousin's place and stay over there all day on Saturdays while we played Super Mario World and Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. We were so fucking stoked when Abe's Exodus came out. I remember reading Gamepro's and EGM's with hints and small explanations of the weird creatures and locales. It was probably the first video game world I ever got fully immersed into.

Can't wait to get back into Oddworld again with my old friend Abe. I never played Munch or Stranger's Wrath, but maybe it's about time I did.

Tizoc

Hello!
Hello!
Buy me!
OK!
*Farts*
Hehehe

Gonna pre-order soon, but really wish the PS3 release is close so me and my brother can replay this masterpiece (don't own a PS4)

batbeg

Love the OP. I'm usually on mobile was lucky enough to catch this on desktop, very nice.

Can't wait for the game, though not being a PS4 user it will be something of a wait sadly. Just wish I knew how much!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nice OP, but you forgot the DLC.

H1PSTER

Do I get this for PC, PS4 or Wii U? I think PS4 as me and my girlfriend will play it together, with her telling me where to go and giving hints etc.

But I will most probably double dip, it has hit the nostalgic edge they wanted it to and I will love every second of this re-release.

Rules be damned, I have to take at least one sentence to bitch about this timed exclusivity nonsense. That being said, I'm glad this is coming out at all. #LordLanning

Terra_Ex

Really nice OT, can't wait to play this again. Still 99 mudokens though, was hoping that they'd be adding some more + new areas.

A full on remake of one of the best (if not the best) 2D puzzle platformers ever made?

Yes I'll be buying this day one. For $30 it'd be a bargain at twice the price.

Looks like they've done a great job packaging this together, and this is exactly the sort of standard we need to see with remakes. Here's hoping this is wildly successful and we see Exodus redone too.

And you can possess more creature types than in the original? Cool.

Tizoc

Really nice OT, can't wait to play this again. Still 99 mudokens though, was hoping that they'd be adding some more + new areas.

The Alf dlc (gotten for free via pre-order) seems to be just that, though it might be rather shortish.

Nemesis_

I want to grab this on Wii U since I have so much fucking credit on that console but I might just budge and get the PS4 version.

I've never actually played this game either, so it'll be an entirely new experience for me.

Blues1990

I'm incredibly stoaked for picking up this game for the Wii U, as I always wanted to play the original.

I do hope it does well enough that a HD remake of Abe's Exodious will be considered.

I'm incredibly stoaked for picking up this game for the Wii U, as I always wanted to play the original.

I do hope it does well enough that a HD remake of Abe's Exodious will be considered.

It needs to sell 250k for Abe's Exoddus to happen. 500k will mean that a completely new entry in the series happens.

Tenrius

What a great OT. I always loved the Oddworld games, so really looking forward to it. Not sure which platform to pick it up on though: probably not Steam because of performance concerns, which leaves PS3 and Wii U. Tough choice!

Dad

Rules be damned, I have to take at least one sentence to bitch about this timed exclusivity nonsense. That being said, I'm glad this is coming out at all. #LordLanning

If I'm not mistaken, it's not a timed exclusive so much as JAW just isn't big enough to have the game ready for multiple platforms at the same time.

Anyway, Exoddus is my favorite game of all time. I'm so ready for Oddysee with all the bells and whistles.

Own the original on PC, and went ahead with the pre-order for this one, though I have no idea when i'll actually get around to playing it.

Top Bottom