• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

tokkun

So what are the differences in playing on different difficulty levels in this game? Any exclusive items or story elements?

anddo0

tokkun said:
So what are the differences in playing on different difficulty levels in this game? Any exclusive items or story elements?

No real difference... Easy gets really easy though.. So only set it to easy if you can't get past certain boss fights.

ruffles

I'm on the last chapter and I'm wondering if it matters what character you pick for each boss for the ending. The
dragon
boss is a bitch. I can't beat it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ruffles said:
I'm on the last chapter and I'm wondering if it matters what character you pick for each boss for the ending. The
dragon
boss is a bitch. I can't beat it.

Yes. There's two ending, one real and one fake. To get the true ending you need to follow the prophecies as told by the old pooka's notes

Do I blow at this game, or is it just really ****ing hard? I'm on the first campaign in the second forest after the lava area, and each enemy is doing a shitload of damage to me per hit. It's getting ridiculous. I have close to 600 hp. Should I have more? I was hoping I wouldn't have to grind in this game.

DXMachina said:
Do I blow at this game, or is it just really ****ing hard? I'm on the first campaign in the second forest after the lava area, and each enemy is doing a shitload of damage to me per hit. It's getting ridiculous. I have close to 600 hp. Should I have more? I was hoping I wouldn't have to grind in this game.

Anyone...?

Duderz

Banned
I just finished the game, and got the
true
ending.

Couple quick questions...

Is it worth it to unlock all the other scenes in Armageddon? Story wise, it doesn't seem to make sense that, for example, Velvet dies when fighting Darkova, only to have her come back and face the Cauldron, or to have her turn into a Pooka at the end.

Also,
how long do I have to wait at the The End screen? I ended up pressing start and made a new save file.

Not the deepest game (at all) but the story is what kept me going. Top notch presentation all around, and an enjoyable game.

Teasel

Duderz said:
I just finished the game, and got the
true
ending.

Couple quick questions...

Is it worth it to unlock all the other scenes in Armageddon? Story wise, it doesn't seem to make sense that, for example, Velvet dies when fighting Darkova, only to have her come back and face the Cauldron, or to have her turn into a Pooka at the end.

Also,
how long do I have to wait at the The End screen? I ended up pressing start and made a new save file.

Not the deepest game (at all) but the story is what kept me going. Top notch presentation all around, and an enjoyable game.
yes it is worth doing since some of those scenes are pretty cool and there is also an extra if you watch every cutscene in the game,i'm not sure what you mean with "story doesn't make sense" if you pick velvet against darkova then you can't pick her in the fight against the cauldron so it can't happen,think of those extra scenes as a "what if..."
i'm also not sure how long you have to wait,but it's not really that long

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I didn't consult a faq for the end sequence and got the shitty ending.

Since you basically have to replay each character in order to properly re-stock your healing potions and things, and I've already put 90 hours into the game, I don't think I'm going to bother going for the true ending for a long time.

I'm content with watching Milis die. Would have appreciated a credit roll, regardless.

alexel

dog$ said:
I didn't consult a faq for the end sequence and got the shitty ending.

Since you basically have to replay each character in order to properly re-stock your healing potions and things, and I've already put 90 hours into the game, I don't think I'm going to bother going for the true ending for a long time.

I'm content with watching Milis die. Would have appreciated a credit roll, regardless.

Your character's items and stats (psypher charge levels) remain the same as they were before you attempted the last book. All saving after the last book does is save those cutscenes, your characters still have all their items they used up during the last battles. You can just replay the last book now and it'll just be like the first time you played it, no need to restock on items/psypher gauge levels, etc.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Yeah, and the last star is for all of the game being completed, down to having all recipies opened up.

2nd to last star is for getting the right ending, which I just did thanks to that tip there.
Kweh said:
How do I kill the green slimes in Titania? Hope I don't have to waste a napalm on all these!
Three ways:

Use the swords that the magicians summon at you.
Napalm.
Ooze. You can fight oozes with oozes.

Kuran

Banned
dog$ said:
2nd to last star is for getting the right ending, which I just did thanks to that tip there.

Thanks!

What tip is that? I'm afraid of looking too much into this thread because of spoilers, there's already a huge one thats not marked on this page.. :(

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Items used in your final boss fights don't affect your inventory. I thought they did and thus necessitated to replay the characters a bit if you wanted to do the boss battles again with a new stock of potions.

So i just cleared it, had to switch to easy because the last book was getting on my nerves. I really enjoyed the game overall. It was a little TOO difficult for its own good playing no normal, but hey thats what easy mode was for i guess. i probably would have had a better time of it all if i had switched to easy early on, but then i might not have been powered up enough to take the last book anyway.

All in all this was a very well done game, that any ps2 owner with even a mild interest should play at least once. It's not perfect, and can get downright frustrating at times, but stick with it, the story was awesome.

zoku88

dog$ said:
Yeah, and the last star is for all of the game being completed, down to having all recipies opened up.

2nd to last star is for getting the right ending, which I just did thanks to that tip there. Three ways:

Use the swords that the magicians summon at you.
Napalm.
Ooze. You can fight oozes with oozes.
Also, Oswald's shadow mode can hurt them.

I think Mercedes could hurt them as well, but I'm guessing that he's on "The Pooka Prince."

Kweh

Having trouble defeating
Beldor in Titania as Mercedes. Gone through the level a few times to level up but he is still posing some problems. I get that I have to hit the swords back into him, but its his 2 giant goons jumping around the place that take me out. I'm currently trying to kill them first , should I bother doing that? Do they just respawn again?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
They don't respawn. I took them out first when I had that battle.

If you think that one is bad, though, brace for Velvet's turn in Titania.

Kweh said:
Having trouble defeating
Beldor in Titania as Mercedes. Gone through the level a few times to level up but he is still posing some problems. I get that I have to hit the swords back into him, but its his 2 giant goons jumping around the place that take me out. I'm currently trying to kill them first , should I bother doing that? Do they just respawn again?

If you don't want to bother killing them all you have to do is be slightly patient and hit his swords back at him when they aren't around. 2 Phozon Blasts will kill him if your Psypher is decently leveled and you can get two off before he disappears. For whatever reason, I find those Axe guys the hardest to take out with Mercedes. I pretty much flawless victory all other mini-bosses and pretty much most of the real ones too, but I just can't mess with those guys.

And as Cornelius... you're only feasible option for kill the ooze is Napalm. The shop at home base before the mission actually sells Napalm if I recall. You should only need one. You CAN kill it with your sword, it will just take 30 minutes and you'll probably die. Mercedes straight up owns them though.

alexel

Kweh said:
Having trouble defeating

Use this tactic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3IGuUbUWU

If your mercedes isn't as leveled up as that guy's, go Percing Shot -> Pierching Shot -> Pierching Shot -> Photon Burst for the kill.

Kweh

lol @ that video

Cheers for the replies folks, will give it another go tomorrow. I am around that guys level in the video I think, maybe 25/26.

Do the environments change more when I get to the later characters? I just beat
The Pooka Prince
and barely saw anything new. If i'm going to be running through the same shit each time, I'm not going to bother with the rest of this game.

Phthisis

DXMachina said:
Do the environments change more when I get to the later characters? I just beat
The Pooka Prince
and barely saw anything new. If i'm going to be running through the same shit each time, I'm not going to bother with the rest of this game.

Don't bother then. The levels and bosses get recycled across all 5 characters. It's a horrible design choice, and one that gives a huge sense of confinement inside the game world.

The game has been on a steady downward spiral on the standard 10 point review scale. I've gotten to the point where I just stuck the game on easy so I can breeze through the shit to watch the story.

*sigh*

Repetition blows.

Duderz

Banned
Phthisis said:
Don't bother then. The levels and bosses get recycled across all 5 characters. It's a horrible design choice, and one that gives a huge sense of confinement inside the game world.

The game has been on a steady downward spiral on the standard 10 point review scale. I've gotten to the point where I just stuck the game on easy so I can breeze through the shit to watch the story.

*sigh*

Repetition blows.

I ended up doing this as well. The gameplay just wears too thin too early.

As long as you're interested in the story, keep playing, otherwise, I really wouldn't bother.

Off topic for just a moment, can you play import PS2 games on a PS3?

Kuran

Banned
Phthisis said:

*sigh*

Repetition blows.

Oh, thats a good idea. I'm at the third character now and I'm getting sortof tired with it, even after a week's hiatus.

Still, if I put it on easy it'll get even more boring...

One question that has probably been asked before, is every character's chapter of equal length?

Duderz

Banned
Kuran said:
One question that has probably been asked before, is every character's chapter of equal length?

Yes, but obviously if you play it on easy, you'll knock off several hours for each character.

Again, I just ended up playing it for the story, which I was very much interested in.

Garcia

Duderz said:
Again, I just ended up playing it for the story, which I was very much interested in.

Same thing I'm doing...

It's incredibly annoying not being able to block enemy attacks when doing a combo. You know what was I trying to do so the game would become more enjoyable (and challenging) ? I was trying to get an S on every single level playing on Normal/Hard. Well, guess what!! I couldn't get an S after the 3rd level of the 1st chapter ! And !!...GUES WHY??... Cuz I couldn't block the enemy attacks since Gwendolyn stands still for 2 straight seconds after successfully chaining a 5-hit combo, leaving her ready to be hit by any incoming enemy attack.

I mean... C'MON!!!

Atlus/Vanillaware.... Terrible gameplay choice on this one! ! !

Seriously, what's been going on lately?...They release beautifully designed games with terrible gameplay ! First my heart broke after playing Dawn of Mana...and now this?

Kuran

Banned

So with the third character I decided to put the game on easy difficulty. And the normal missions are much easier, but, I am now at a boss fight in chapter 4 of Mercedes' story.. and I just killed my first joypad, ever.

Never did a game infuriate me as much as this one, its a good thing I have some other joypads lying around here... this one's all busted.

jrricky

Banned
Does anyone have an estimate of how this game sold? It just felt like this wonderful game never happened after its release.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Garcia said:
You know what was I trying to do so the game would become more enjoyable (and challenging) ? I was trying to get an S on every single level playing on Normal/Hard.
I don't see how that's necessary, much less how that would make the game more enjoyable. The game is challenging enough as it is, and self-imposing a requirement to earn S ranks from battles after putting the difficulty on Easy is counter productive.
Well, guess what!! I couldn't get an S after the 3rd level of the 1st chapter !
Y'know, games are hard.
And !!...GUES WHY??...
Because you were so underpowered at that point you couldn't kill everything fast enough?
Cuz I couldn't block the enemy attacks since Gwendolyn stands still for 2 straight seconds after successfully chaining a 5-hit combo, leaving her ready to be hit by any incoming enemy attack.
Oh an excuse.

I'm not sure if you noticed but when the enemies are done doing their attack sequences, they're exposed for 2+ straight seconds as well, not to mention that all you have to do is not be in the path of enemies attacks for them to not hit - meaning that for some enemies, all you have to do is stand behind them and you can attack at will while they cycle through their attacks on the air. The enemies are just as vulnerable as you are. Plus maybe you should do short spurts of 3-hit attacks before finishing with the 5-hit that leaves you open.

Meanwhile, earning S ranks depends on no more than how quickly you finish the battle and how little damage you take doing it. For fresh characters in later chapters I believe it's pretty impossible to S rank all the stages. For strong characters it can be just as tough; not using a Cooler/Warmer for someone at lv40 hp can bring someone's flawless 30-second stage run to a B rank just from elemental hp loss. More importantly, there's no reason to try - the reward from S rank is just more stuff in the chest, most of which just ends up in the alchemy potions anyway.

Play the stages, take the grades you earn, and move on. The game's long enough as it is.

Kuran

Banned
Ok.. this game totally didn't deserve the scores it received. I don't think many of the reviewers played the game through to the end.. what a frustrating, frustrating piece of shit.

I think I'm just going to give up.

I'm at
Armageddon, part 2, the fight with Onyx

JayDubya

Banned
Not late enough for an LTTP, but I just want to say that having seen and done everything and having avoided this thread for fear of spoilers, this thing was awesomesauce. Did not disappoint.

Gameplay was simple, but the story and presentation were absolutely top notch. Also, a Hard difficulty (and Heroic, if you can stomach it after doing everything you need to do to get it) make boss fights worthwhile. The game was pretty easy anyway, but it was good that it offered the chance to make at least the final bosses feel like worthy challengers.

Going in I expected I would really like Oswald - coming out of it, Mercedes really seemed the heart and soul of the game. All of their stories were fairly interesting, but Mercedes arc just seemed a cut above the rest.

If you haven't played this yet, you really, really should.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm on Velvet's 4th chapter. Does Alice actually tie into the game or does she do nothing besides read the books?

Eiji

Kadey said:
I'm on Velvet's 4th chapter. Does Alice actually tie into the game or does she do nothing besides read the books?

In the proper ending you find out that the story books Alice is reading are based on a true and on-going story. Alice isn't happy with the way the story ended. Her mum calls her to come down from the attic for dinner and when she leaves, Cornelius and Velvet arrive through a portal and leave behind another book.

If you clear every stage you get a bonus ending which shows the characters while everything is happening from the "story writers" point of view and when the man in the bazaar asks him the name of the book the screen fades to black and the words "Odin Sphere" appear!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the endgame is epic, Im fighting
gallon
right now and the game really shows its graphics and visual muscle in this fight. incredible stuff.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
finished Odin Sphere took me 43 hours. the game really ups the ante in the last book.

I know the game is now hated by most of gaf, but i had a lot of fun with it. I can see why people dont like it, it's a 2d beat em up that looks amazing and plays like a SNES brawler. I think the game biggest flaw is of course (aside from the slowdowns) the re-use of assets while it makes sense from a story perspective... it's debatable whether that works well, looking at it from a gameplay perspective. I had a lot of fun with it honestly, the last set of boss fights are amazing, they even throw a curveball introducing some platforming in them. I like the alchemy system the problem with it is the cumbersome interface which could've been streamlined a lot more.

the game of course looks AMAZING, like I said the last book really ups the ante not only gameplay/story wise but also visually, the
gallon/levanthan
fights in particular are jaw dropping and they dont have slowdowns! The game story is really well told, they did a great job developing the characters. the story to me was amazing, nothing came out of left field because everything was foreshadowed, the writing and VA certainly help a lot too in this regard. the music is great another highlight of the game imo.

I cant wait for Vanillaware next projects (if there will be any), I guess I should buy Grim Grimoire for more Vanillaware awesomeness.

Top Bottom