• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

zoku88

Error said:
finished Odin Sphere took me 43 hours. the game really ups the ante in the last book.
I'm glad im not the only one who took a ridiculously long time to complete this game. I've heard things like 5 hours per character + 3 extra for Gwen (making her's 8.) I felt embarrassed...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
zoku: yeah gwendolyn's book took me 10 hours, the rest were hovering around 5-7 hours.

oh and the dude that says the fight against
Onyx using Mercedes
is unfair that was actually the easiest fight of the Armageddon book.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Finally got around to sitting down with this game, and I noticed something pretty funny. The three Wise Men are obviously named after the norns for the most part: Skuldi from Skuld, Urzur from Urd, but Beldor? It's not that similar to Verthandi, the third norn, but perhaps they took a shortcut on their norse lessons...

Belldandy.JPG

jsrv

zoku88 said:
I'm glad im not the only one who took a ridiculously long time to complete this game. I've heard things like 5 hours per character + 3 extra for Gwen (making her's 8.) I felt embarrassed...

It took me ~13 hours for Gwen, 9 hours for Cornelius, 7 hours for Mercedes, 6 hours for Oswald, and ~8 hours for Velvet. I just grind a lot I guess, because I seriously overestimated the final stage.

On an unrelated note, I spent 16 hours on Shadow of the Colossus before finishing campaign, where I've yet to hear anyone spend more than 5 or 6 hours on. My friends thought I was crazy. :lol

Ledsen

jsrv said:
It took me ~13 hours for Gwen, 9 hours for Cornelius, 7 hours for Mercedes, 6 hours for Oswald, and ~8 hours for Velvet. I just grind a lot I guess, because I seriously overestimated the final stage.

On an unrelated note, I spent 16 hours on Shadow of the Colossus before finishing campaign, where I've yet to hear anyone spend more than 5 or 6 hours on. My friends thought I was crazy. :lol

Hey, I spent 9 hours on SotC, and I know many people who took longer than that :)

SaitoH

Took me 42 hours total to complete the game. Gwen was nine hours and everyone else was uhh ... less. The ending chapter was fan-fuckin-tastic. Picked up Grim Grimoire the next day (rather enjoying it) but got sidetracked by Persona 3.

Nicko

Just picked up Odin Sphere for $16 at Circuit City and I must express how positively blown away I am with this game. Everything, from the art, the music, the characters, the gameplay, all hearken back to the truly great side-scrolling games of old. Put the game into my ps2 not knowing what to expect, and then realized 3 hours had gone by when I next looked at the clock.

To those that don't know, Circuit City has a bunch of games on clearance, one of which was Odin Sphere. Actually bought 2 copies of the game; going to keep one in shrink rap for collecting purposes. You can get the list of clearance games over at Cheep Ass Gamer.

Nicko

Haeleos

*SPOILERS*

This is the first game I've ever played where I actually died because I was laughing so hard.
The spider that erupts from under the queen of the underworld's dress was the one of the most unexpected thing I've ever encountered in a game.

Nicko said:
Just picked up Odin Sphere for $16 at Circuit City and I must express how positively blown away I am with this game. Everything, from the art, the music, the characters, the gameplay, all hearken back to the truly great side-scrolling games of old. Put the game into my ps2 not knowing what to expect, and then realized 3 hours had gone by when I next looked at the clock.

To those that don't know, Circuit City has a bunch of games on clearance, one of which was Odin Sphere. Actually bought 2 copies of the game; going to keep one in shrink rap for collecting purposes. You can get the list of clearance games over at Cheep Ass Gamer.

Nicko
I pushed this in the $15 Crackdown thread, too. Definitely needs to be purchased and played.

Nicko said:
Just picked up Odin Sphere for $16 at Circuit City...

To those that don't know, Circuit City has a bunch of games on clearance, one of which was Odin Sphere. You can get the list of clearance games over at Cheep Ass Gamer.

Nicko

Wow. I hate bumping threads but people need to buy this game. $16 is a greatgreatgreatgreatgreat price for a such a fantastic game.

Munin

I completed the first book, it was okay but not good enough for me to play the other books. I wish it had "proper" 2D levels instead of this odd "looping tiny area" thing. I know it's because it would probably involve way too much art creation, but still...

soldat7

whatdidyousay said:
Wow. I hate bumping threads but people need to buy this game. $16 is a greatgreatgreatgreatgreat price for a such a fantastic game.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Odin Sphere sale is still going on? The Circuit Cities in my area are retarded and keep hanging up on me...

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
soldat7 said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the Odin Sphere sale is still going on? The Circuit Cities in my area are retarded and keep hanging up on me...
It's not a sale, it's a clearance. The game will forever be at that price unless they lower it even more.

soldat7 said:

Yeah, you should just keep calling, or just head over to a store. Seriously, if you have to pay more than $16 elsewhere, just do it and get the game.

soldat7

whatdidyousay said:
Yeah, you should just keep calling, or just head over to a store. Seriously, if you have to pay more than $16 elsewhere, just do it and get the game.

$11.30 + tax. They are holding a copy for me at customer service.

Huzzah!

careful

I really enjoyed most of the game but some parts were also unbelievably frustrating.
I'm so close to beating the damn game..
I'm at the Armageddon Cauldron fight with Velvet. Most f*cking frustrating fight ever. I gave up in the end (after many attempts) and resorted to watching the ending on Youtube :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Exploit the recipes for easy leveling with everybody. The last boss is still challenging despite that.
I loved almost every minute of the game and the intro song is one of the best if not the best.

Mechar

Neo Member
I am very tempted to play this game, but so much schoolwork and Patapon is coming in between. By the end of the month, I´ll probably be playing this piece of beauty.

batbeg

Really, really liked the game, but I can't seem to figure out how to unlock the very last chapter. I unlocked the one before that by beating the last book with all the combinations, but there's still another one left and I don't know how to get it :(

But yeah, awesome game, and extremely hyped for Muramasa now. Also hunting GrimGrimoire!

Giolon

Super old thread, but being a junior still, I can't make an LTTP thread.

I just got back into Odin Sphere this week after quitting it in the middle two years ago. I only ended up putting it in because I was hooking up my PS2 to my new home theater system that I got last month. I had forgotten just how gorgeous this game actually is! I've been re-blown away by the incredible artwork, and it has me incredibly excited for Muramasa next month!

So the place where I had quit was in the middle of Mercedes campaign. It took me a couple hours to get my skill level back up to where it should be in order not to get my ass kicked, but I eventually got the hang of it again. Now I've finished up Mercedes, finished Oswald and am starting on Velvet.

Perhaps my vote for the best game feature of all time has to be the Story menu & cutscene viewer. I had forgotten all the crazy shit that goes down in the plot of this game, and especially what happens when and to whom. Without that mode, I would have had to start the game completely over (~30 hours into it) in order to have any clue as to what was going on. More games should incorporate such a great feature. My only wish is that it would allow you to watch all the cutscenes for the various characters interweaved into each other chronologically instead of having to just stick with a single character's path.

Anybody else enjoying Odin Sphere recently?

Giolon said:
Super old thread, but being a junior still, I can't make an LTTP thread.

I just got back into Odin Sphere this week after quitting it in the middle two years ago. I only ended up putting it in because I was hooking up my PS2 to my new home theater system that I got last month. I had forgotten just how gorgeous this game actually is! I've been re-blown away by the incredible artwork, and it has me incredibly excited for Muramasa next month!

So the place where I had quit was in the middle of Mercedes campaign. It took me a couple hours to get my skill level back up to where it should be in order not to get my ass kicked, but I eventually got the hang of it again. Now I've finished up Mercedes, finished Oswald and am starting on Velvet.

Perhaps my vote for the best game feature of all time has to be the Story menu & cutscene viewer. I had forgotten all the crazy shit that goes down in the plot of this game, and especially what happens when and to whom. Without that mode, I would have had to start the game completely over (~30 hours into it) in order to have any clue as to what was going on. More games should incorporate such a great feature. My only wish is that it would allow you to watch all the cutscenes for the various characters interweaved into each other chronologically instead of having to just stick with a single character's path.

Anybody else enjoying Odin Sphere recently?

You really don't have to level up much in this game. Once or twice before a boss fight is usually plenty.

meme

Banned
Started playing through it at the beginning of the year, finished the 1st book, and thought everything was amazing besides the grinding. Started the 2nd book but was seriously disappointed that the levels are all the same, stopped and never touched it since. Does the game change anything besides the story at some point, or you keep cycling through the same stages/bosses again and again? It was really a shame, the graphics and soundtrack are amazing.

You really don't have to level up much in this game. Once or twice before a boss fight is usually plenty.

Are you crazy? This is one of the most hard games I've played. If you try to fly through the stages without trying to intentionally level up your character, you are in for biiig trouble against the bosses.

Giolon

Flying_Phoenix said:

I'm not talking about character level. I mean my own personal skill level. I sucked after being away for two years and jumping back in mid level! It did take me some time to relearn how much time I could spend shooting vs. running away to re-fill ammo, which enemy attacks are liable to leap across the screen and hit me etc.

That said, most of my characters have been averaging level 30 in both Psypher and Health level by the end of their books. I think it's 30/32 for Gwendolyn, 29/29 for Cornelius, 32/32 for Gwendolyn, and 31/32 for Oswald.

squall211

This game is one of only 3 or possibly 4 PS2 RPGs that I have yet to purchase. I may have to finally cave and pick this one up. Is the slowdown as bad as I remember some review (IGN maybe?) complaining about?

Giolon

meme said:
Started playing through it at the beginning of the year, finished the 1st book, and thought everything was amazing besides the grinding. Started the 2nd book but was seriously disappointed that the levels are all the same, stopped and never touched it since. Does the game change anything besides the story at some point, or you keep cycling through the same stages/bosses again and again? It was really a shame, the graphics and soundtrack are amazing.

For the most part the stages and enemies stay the same, though each character's book tends to have 1 or 2 new unique bosses. I found it pretty entertaining to revisit the different locations and enemy types with each character as their fighting style vary quite a bit from each other. I also found it highly entertaining discovering how each of the characters find themselves in each of the environments at different times. I'm really looking forward to how it all wraps up in the end!

squall211 said:
This game is one of only 3 or possibly 4 PS2 RPGs that I have yet to purchase. I may have to finally cave and pick this one up. Is the slowdown as bad as I remember some review (IGN maybe?) complaining about?

LOL, at times, yes. Sometimes it's actually helpful...sometimes it's annoying...but I just treat it like I did back in the 16-bit days - just part of the game. It certainly doesn't ruin it for me. Just think back to old Mega Man games (remember the cart ride in MM X with the birds at the end? slowdown city!).

meme

Banned
Giolon said:
For the most part the stages and enemies stay the same, though each character's book tends to have 1 or 2 new unique bosses. I found it pretty entertaining to revisit the different locations and enemy types with each character as their fighting style vary quite a bit from each other. I also found it highly entertaining discovering how each of the characters find themselves in each of the environments at different times. I'm really looking forward to how it all wraps up in the end!

I'll try to get into it again, I really loved the first book. As I said, I'm in the second one, at the point where
the prince has to find a of dragon, or something like this, in the icy mountain level

meme said:
Are you crazy? This is one of the most hard games I've played. If you try to fly through the stages without trying to intentionally level up your character, you are in for biiig trouble against the bosses.

The point of the game is that you are suppose to use your tactics and wit to beat your enemy hence why experience points are so hard to get. If you are leveling up to defeat your foes you're playing it wrong.

For comparison its like playing Metal Gear Solid and if you want to get past a certain map instead of sneaking past everybody you just work on stocking your weapons and ammunition so you can blow everyone to smithereens so you can progress. I mean yes you CAN play it that way but it isn't the way the games made to go about.

I beat the game without level grinding once.

Well except for the
final boss battles
, and even then.

Giolon

Well I finally finished Odin Sphere last night, and did everything in the right order to get the True Ending. That's some epic shit right there...

However, I'm pretty disappointed to find out that in order to get the "extra" scene that resolves the last plot thread
involving the remaining Pookas
that I have to play through Armageddon several times in various wrong configurations to fill out the book. I managed to get through the whole book with my non-powerleveled level 30/30-ish characters in about 4 hours (spent the most time on Velvet by far), and there's no way I'm going to do that again. I'll have to go back and level up some and make sure I have lots of proper supplies to make things easier.

Still, great ending to a great game! And the music in the credits was outstanding. If you haven't finished Odin Sphere, you owe it to yourself to see it through to the end.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
hmmm.. wondering if i should get back into this. i remember being stuck at a boss not that far in. with muramasa coming out soon, i think the time might be right

batbeg

Giolon said:
Well I finally finished Odin Sphere last night, and did everything in the right order to get the True Ending. That's some epic shit right there...

However, I'm pretty disappointed to find out that in order to get the "extra" scene that resolves the last plot thread
that I have to play through Armageddon several times in various wrong configurations to fill out the book. I managed to get through the whole book with my non-powerleveled level 30/30-ish characters in about 4 hours (spent the most time on Velvet by far), and there's no way I'm going to do that again. I'll have to go back and level up some and make sure I have lots of proper supplies to make things easier.

I didn't mind doing it, except with the fairy girl as I hated using her. I totally just farmed item growth for her to kick some ass real easy-like. Then again, I loved this game a little too much.

What disappointed me was there was still another blank fucking block and I have no idea what it is or how to get it, and can't even seem to find anything about it online. No PS2 anymore anyway, so it's too late to figure it out, but still...

Giolon said:
Still, great ending to a great game! And the music in the credits was outstanding. If you haven't finished Odin Sphere, you owe it to yourself to see it through to the end.

Or just wait in the beginning.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Giolon said:

Yeah I cheated and watched the extra scene on YouTube. :lol

Giolon

batbeg said:
I didn't mind doing it, except with the fairy girl as I hated using her. I totally just farmed item growth for her to kick some ass real easy-like. Then again, I loved this game a little too much.

What disappointed me was there was still another blank fucking block and I have no idea what it is or how to get it, and can't even seem to find anything about it online. No PS2 anymore anyway, so it's too late to figure it out, but still...

Get yourself another PS2! They're hella cheap.

If you're talking about the last block of Wheel of Fate, it's apparently unlocked by just rewatching that book from Alice's screen, letting the credits roll, and then doing nothing until some additional scene pops up.

If you're talking about the 2nd to last block, it's apparently unlocked by rewatching that book after unlocking all other blocks, including the one mentioned above.

See this FAQ, and hit the Wheel of Time section. Those are the only blocks I could imagine you not having unlocked.

batbeg said:
Or just wait in the beginning.
I wasn't talking about the music specifically when I said everyone who's started the game owes it to themselves to see it through to the end, but specifically there is a different arrangement of the music is different - there's a really great violin part. Additionally, when the lyrics play on the opening scene, they're in French, but in the credits they're in Japanese

Minamu

I loved the game up until the end. Didn't fancy the last book & endings at all for some reason. And for some reason, I decided to play through each character a second time without cutscenes before doing the last book. And the cauldron was REALLY hard anyway :O But then the ending came up & I was like, that's it? I've never played a JRPG where the game just ends & leaves absolutely no incentives to continue playing it. Where's the hidden bosses & secret caves? :( But I had a pleasant 60+ hours for 15 bucks. Probably won't test hard mode though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow, I can't believe this game is game is only four years old!

... So anyways, a Google search shows last Sept 2010 there was all kinds of news of this game and Mursama Demon Blade getting HD ports. Since then, nothing.

Anyone know the status of the HD remix?

Emitan

Adam Prime said:
Wow, I can't believe this game is game is only four years old!

... So anyways, a Google search shows last Sept 2010 there was all kinds of news of this game and Mursama Demon Blade getting HD ports. Since then, nothing.

Anyone know the status of the HD remix?
I think those were rumors with no truth behind them. It's a shame because I really want to play Odin Sphere but I'm not sure if the horrible slowdown is worth it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Billychu said:
I think those were rumors with no truth behind them. It's a shame because I really want to play Odin Sphere but I'm not sure if the horrible slowdown is worth it.

It's only on a couple of boss fights. In my experience and remembrance of the game, there's nothing game breaking that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the game as a whole.

I mean, it wasn't as bad as Shadow of the Colossus or anything

Emitan

Adam Prime said:
It's only on a couple of boss fights. In my experience and remembrance of the game, there's nothing game breaking that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the game as a whole.

For some reason the slowdown in SotC never bothered me. If my backlog wasn't so huge...

Adam Prime said:

I remember fighting that (spider/Witch?) lady and the game literally came to a near screeching hault the framerate got so bad. It was far and away worse than Shadow in most cases when it did slow down, but when it wasn't acting up, it was certainly more smooth.

Edit: This chick(terrible quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ERtdBd87E

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just turned the game on my PS3... still looks pretty nice. A HD version would be nuts! Isn't Vanillaware working on another title in the same vein?

Emitan

Adam Prime said:
I just turned the game on my PS3... still looks pretty nice. A HD version would be nuts! Isn't Vanillaware working on another title in the same vein?
Dragon's Crown is a side scrolling beat em up. I'm not how how similar that is to this game.

Top Bottom