• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2009 MLB Season Thread of the Inaugural CitiField September Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
wtf, the ghosts of Babe Ruth, Dimaggio and Mantle have possessed this park.

Tex needs to aim for RF/right center all season. He's gonna hit 50 here.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So NL CY, does anyone have a chance of beating Santana? I mean if he is healthy, with that bullpen and that offense...he will be good. Now the rest of the Mets rotation...:lol
Link said:
Might want to try posting your issue on the Support forum. They are usually pretty fast at responding.

http://www.mlbsupport.com/forum/

edit: Kawakami 2.2 ip, 4 er in his last spring start..... :(

clemenx

Banned
I'm pretty sure Perez sucked before the WBC.

So NL CY, does anyone have a chance of beating Santana? I mean if he is healthy, with that bullpen and that offense...he will be good.
Don't forget the new ballpark! i think it could be way too much on the pitching side of ballparks, and those big fences should help someone like Santana who gives lots of homers.

But i wouldn't be surprised if Lincecum, Webb or Haren win the Cy... they still pitch on the NL West.

xbhaskarx

cashman said:
yeah I know, should of switched the Rangers and Angels :lol

Would the 2009 Rangers be the first team to win their division when no pitcher in the rotation has an ERA under 5?

should HAVE

cashman

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Would the 2009 Rangers be the first team to win their division when no pitcher in the rotation has an ERA under 5?
When you can score a million runs a game you don't need pitching. But seriously though, I honestly believe that the Rangers or A's have the best chance to win the division.

should HAVE
oh fuck. I didn't even notice that.

Windu

Francoeur
2h836ko.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Windu said:
edit: Kawakami 2.2 ip, 4 er in his last spring start..... :(
Those walks were brutal to watch. But, on the bright side, Hanson continues to prove why he is going to be fantastic for us.

Last Year it was Funnulcakez. This year's theme for the Reds' MLB regular season is:

2uikigl.jpg

Having been to Riverfront/Cinergy and then going to Great American, the difference is amazing.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWINNNNTUNNNEELLLLL!!!!

clemenx said:
I'm pretty sure Perez sucked before the WBC.
You can be wild when you're throwing 94-96. Harder to be wild when you're throwing 84-88. I mean Pedro Martinez throws harder than that. Perez needs to get his arm into shape.

Pelfrey will be okay, Maine will regain arm velocity w/ more innings pitched since he's coming off surgery. Perez is in the same boat, it's just his wildness (man only allowed 167 hits in 194 innings last year but walked 105). And Livan is a competitor, as a #5 starter all I wish for him is innings and not to get hurt.

clemenx

Banned
I don't think he was throwing 80's, i think it has to do with the gun. Neither Daisuke or Maine threw on the 90's either so i think the gun is very slow.
Even though i don't like the guy i think it's a good decision to not let him go, i feel like he can break out... and if he doesn't well at least we know what we have.

I hope the Mets hit a HR on this game, i want to see the apple! :lol

Sanjuro

It would be huge for us if Jason has a good year at the plate. I really don't mind him being around as he calls a good game and there are no other clear cut options out there at the catching position.

painey

just ordered my MLB tv. £65 for the entire year and post season, phenomenal value. I couldn't get 2 tickets to West Ham for that. Roll on chewsday, I want to see some Angels sent to hell.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
All of you predicting the Royals to come in last will be sorely disappointed when we make our Historic Run at .500!

Gil Meche:
1175549720_8800.jpg

Zack Greinke:
610x.jpg

Joakim Soria "The Mexicutioner" :
soria.jpg

Alex Gordon:
t1_gordon.jpg

Billy Butler "Mr. Belevedere" :
070721_royals_butler.jpg

Coco Crisp:
2ebd178ee8_ltpcrisp.jpg

Mike Jacobs:
610x.jpg

Mike Aviles:
610x.jpg

firex

I picked the Angels to win the AL West because it's all about grit, toughness, and fire in the belly. they've got the most of that of all AL teams so they're guaranteed to win.

Mike Scioscia's deal with satan doesn't hurt, either.

xbhaskarx

PantherLotus said:
All of you predicting the Royals to come in last will be sorely disappointed when we make our Historic Run at .500!

I'm a big Royals fan, I think they will get close to .500 this year.

Karakand

firex said:
I picked the Angels to win the AL West because it's all about grit, toughness, and fire in the belly. they've got the most of that of all AL teams so they're guaranteed to win.

Mike Scioscia's deal with satan doesn't hurt, either.
The devil is a fictitious personification created by man to conveniently explain his inability to reconcile his animal desires with the empathy instinct his species has. Don't peddle those lies used to placate the credulous.

He's obviously just lucky.

Picks!!!

AL East
Red Sox
Rays (WC)
Yankees (though luck with health would make the divisional winner)
Blue Jays
Orioles

AL Central
Twins
Indians
White Sox
Tigers
Royals

AL West
As
Angels
Mariners
Rangers

NL East
Mets
Braves
Phillies
Marlins
Nationals

NL Central
Cubs
Brewers
Reds (I keep picking the Reds to win the WC and they burn me every year, so screw them)
Cardinals
Astros
Pirates

NL West
Dodgers
Diamondbacks (WC)
Giants (could be awesome if they had even one good bat)
Rockies
Padres (worst record in baseball)

Windu

Paddy Fleming is a Mariners fan in Ireland, and he has MLB.TV Premium.

"I have been using the MLB.TV service for the last two years," he said. "It's a lifesaver, as coverage of games here is fairly poor, especially if I want to see my Mariners. I catch most of their day games live, and any games in more friendly time zones live also. Only very rarely do I stay up to see them play night games at home. As devoted as I am, a 3 a.m. start time is just a tad too far. I'll usually catch the highlights, at least, the next day, though."

Beau Frusetta is a Red Sox fan in Phoenix, and he has MLB.TV Premium.

"Having an HD stream available from MLB.TV this year is amazing -- some other professional sports leagues should take note," he said. "I think what most people don't realize is that you can hook your computers up to those lovely 40-inch-plus LCD HD TVs that everyone has these days and stream HD content from the internet in full screen to their TVs. For $20 a month, that's a smoking deal to be able to see all the Red Sox games that I miss during the year being in the Phoenix market."

Michael Brendan Dougherty is a Mets fan in Washington, and he has MLB.TV Premium.

"This is my third year subscribing to MLB.TV," he said. "I'm a New York Mets fan who has been working in D.C. all this time. Being able to watch my home announcers was a great addition at the end of last season. The improvement year-to-year is amazing. Having seen the World Baseball Classic player, I'm astonished at the smooth HD quality picture this year. I can watch on my laptop from across the room. Even though I'm moving back to New York in a few weeks, I'm going to keep the service so I can keep up with all the players on my fantasy baseball team."

If you also have MLB.TV Premium, then you are ready to experience a Major League Baseball season in a more fun way than any fan ever has before. If you don't have it yet, then join the crowd, because the season begins on Sunday night, followed by 13 Opening Day games on Monday, and subscriptions are under way at $10 off last year's price.

Everyone has been talking about the vastly upgraded MLB.TV Premium media player, as you can see from the comments on the MLB.TV Blog throughout extensive public beta testing that included the World Baseball Classic and Spring Training games. Let's face it: MLB.TV is a bigger and bigger part of the baseball picture every year. It has obliterated two common objections of the past -- that the picture quality was not sufficient and you didn't know if you would get your home team's broadcast feed.

Done and done.

Picture quality is the overwhelming No. 1 breakthrough in 2009. Where HD is available, you get HD on your computer for these live games now. MLB.TV Premium features new adaptive bit-rate determination, so it will detect your speed and give you the ideal picture, plus the manual slide capability for you to adjust it with the right number of bars. The first time you do that is kind of a thrill ride in itself.

Not only will you be able to choose home-and-away for the broadcast feed, but as a new touch in 2009, it incorporates MLB.com Gameday Audio so that at any time you will be able to go from TV to radio booth and back. That is called a perfect game.

You also will love the playback controls with Premium live game DVR and jump-to-inning navigation; the picture-in-picture, which will be huge during the season as you need to follow other games in your pennant race (think positive); the built-in live scoreboard of the day's games; the game summary and box score widgets; the full-screen and multi-view switching; the user-preference setting that can show/hide score spoilers; the archived games; and more to come.

"I really want to try out the new DVR functionality built in, as well as the player stat stuff on the screen," Frusetta said. "I'm pretty sure MLB.TV is going to be EPIC this year. It's also a much better deal than you'd get on some other services like satellite/cable, and you can take it with you if you have a laptop -- not much better than that!

"It's hard to get out to Boston to go catch a game at Fenway. Heck, its hard to just get tickets. But with MLB.TV, I've got full access to live and archived games 24/7 -- definitely a baseball fan's best friend for the 21st century."

Here is a comment from a user named mattes84 in Germany on the MLB.TV Blog: "WOW guys!!!! Without having seen the first pitch, I'm completely flashed by the quality of the stream. It is amazing. I want to give you guys a huge compliment for all your work. I'm a huge US sports fan from Germany. And I'm so happy that MLB.TV Premium is available here in a quality others can't compete with."

All out-of-market live games are available with a subscription to MLB.TV Premium. The ESPN Sunday Night opener featuring Braves at Phillies is a national blackout, but there is the big slate of games on Monday that will start the live MLB.TV Premium action, all featuring the customary pomp and circumstance of Opening Day. Included is the traditional opener in Cincinnati that follows their Findlay Market Parade, and an instant rematch of the last American League Championship Series featuring "Big Game" James Shields against Josh Beckett, live at beautiful Fenway Park.

Here are the matchups to see live on MLB.TV Premium as a starter:

• Mets at Reds, 1:10 p.m. ET, Johan Santana vs. Aaron Harang
• Indians at Rangers, 2:05, Cliff Lee vs. Kevin Millwood
• Royals at White Sox, 2:05, Gil Meche vs. Mark Buehrle
• Rays at Red Sox, 2:05, James Shields vs. Josh Beckett
• Rockies at D-Backs, 3:40, Aaron Cook vs. Brandon Webb
• Yankees at Orioles, 4:05, CC Sabathia vs. Jeremy Guthrie
• Nationals at Marlins, 4:10, John Lannan vs. Ricky Nolasco
• Pirates at Cardinals, 4:15, Paul Maholm vs. Adam Wainwright
• Cubs at Astros, 7:05, Carlos Zambrano vs. Roy Oswalt
• Dodgers at Padres, 7:05, Hiroki Kuroda vs. Jake Peavy
• Tigers at Blue Jays, 7:15, Justin Verlander vs. Roy Halladay
• Mariners at Twins, 8:10, Felix Hernandez vs. Francisco Liriano
• A's at Angels, 9:05, Dallas Braden vs. Joe Saunders

It's Sabathia's official debut as a Yankee after scoring that huge contract that everyone talked about last December. It's time to get to know Oakland's young rotation, starting with Braden. It's a chance to see the same Halladay you might have drafted as Mr. Reliable on your fantasy team. It's Manny Ramirez back in a Dodgers lineup after that crazy wait for Spring Training, and an opportunity to see all of the 750 players who comprise the Opening Day lineups, and the reason we keep coming back to baseball.

Millions of people have subscribed to MLB.TV Premium, and the 2009 service is a breakthrough technology that makes it even more fun. Another regular season is now upon us, and it is time to join fans around the world like Fleming, Frusetta, Dougherty and mattes84. They know what you could know next.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090404&content_id=4125750&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Sanjuro

Enjoy Coco Crisp. While I never saw him as a Damon replacement or even a A-player, he can get very hot at times and is great in the field. Kansas City is a wonderful no pressure place where he can relax and get in a good groove.

That being said I love my Tacoby.

Sanjuro

ViperVisor said:
Free HD ability for WSH vs BAL is not available for me.

I DLed and installed next def today.
That will happen less during the year as most teams are only broadcasting in standard def as they are only exhibition games. Like with the Mets/Sox the NESN feed was standard as I'm assuming they were using older Met's cameras or lugged the backups around.

bjscott05

I can't get any live game to load on my macbook today. Grey screen of death. It worked yesterday but today, no. All the support says install flash 10, install plug in, restart comp, disable ad block... all worthless and very obvious.

Core407

Banned
I keep getting "We are having technical difficulties processing your request, please contact customer service." when I try and play an archive game but live games work fine.

AL East
1. Yankees
2. Rays (WC)
3. Red Sox
4. Jays
5. Orioles

AL Central
1. Indians
2. Twins
3. Tigers
4. White Sox
5. Royals