• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2009 MLB Season Thread of the Inaugural CitiField September Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

I don't like that he writes it as though he has just discovered cold fusion. There is nothing new about the discussion so stop banging me over the head with the thought that you are brilliant. The reserve clause is factored in player valuation, it becomes part of the market value, not some mystical value that no one can fathom until the player finally reaches free agency.

Just as the A’s could not have afforded to compete without the reserve clause during their “moneyball” run, no small-market team could compete without it today.
I don't buy that for a second. Beane's people were valuing players differently, in many cases it wouldn't have mattered that there was no reserve clause as what he valued was discounted by the rest of the league. For a couple years anyway.

xbhaskarx

The part that really makes no sense to me is this sentence:
"In a way, this change will be toughest on the big-spending teams that rely predominately on the free-agent market, and whose fans demand that they pursue marquee names."

eznark

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
The part that really makes no sense to me is this sentence:
"In a way, this change will be toughest on the big-spending teams that rely predominately on the free-agent market, and whose fans demand that they pursue marquee names."

Fans won't give a rip as long as you win. The majority of the bitching goes on in the off-season anyway, when no one is spending baseball dollars. It's simply a non-argument.

xbhaskarx

Beyond that, the highest-payroll teams will never have a harder time: They will put more money into scouting, signing, and developing young players both here and abroad, and they will still have the most money to spend on elite free agents.

pollo

Banned
LA Angels AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
Figgins, 3B 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .391
Kendrick, 2B 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .328
Abreu, LF 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 .324
Guerrero, RF 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .324
Hunter, CF 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .313
Morales, 1B 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .393
Rivera, DH 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .237
Mathis, C 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .327
Aybar, E, SS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .431
Totals 7 0 1 0 1 3 1

Their average ABs are probably over 40 - but those BA's are just ridiculous. Freakin Angels.

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Brewers are my NL team! Go fatties go!
braun-1.jpg

pollo

Banned
eznark said:
7 pitches into this game and Eckstein has already been called gritty and a gamer!

i must say though he plays the game the right way.

Here, this will make you lose your dinner

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/dustin_pedroia/page1

Dustin Pedroia Comes Out Swinging
He's not that short, can't stand his hometown, and thinks A-Rod is a big "dork." And even after the World Series win, even after the MVP award, he still feels he needs to fight for respect.

lulz

clemenx

Banned
eznark said:
7 pitches into this game and Eckstein has already been called gritty and a gamer!
I just wikied Eckstein out of curiosity and this made me LOL.

2006 Champions, the St. Louis Cardinals, where he was selected 2006 World Series MVP. However, in several post-Series interviews, Eckstein said that he cannot use his prize, a Chevrolet Corvette Z06, because he does not know how to drive a manual transmission. He gave the car to his brother Rick.
:lol

jman2050

Wow, this thread got pretty big in one day.

Time for some tradition!

New York Yankees: CC Sabathia wins 30 games with a 0.83 ERA, A-Rod hits 70 home runs despite missing two months and Brett Gardner wins ROTY on route to an easy world series victory over the Dodgers

Boston Red Sox: Look, I'll gladly take another MVP season from Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkillis and watch John Smoltz as long as A) they fail horribly anyway and B) Matsukaka is exposed for the fraud he is.

Baltimore Orioles: Different roster, same result. Last place.

Toronto Blue Jays: The only interesting thing they do all season is trade Halladay for Melky Cabrera and Dellin Betances.

Tampa Bay Rays: FREE SYLAR :`(

Detroit Tigers: Rick Porcello = Mark Fidrych 2.0

Cleveland Indians: They should win the division, if only because the rest of the teams don't impress me one bit.

Chicago White Sox: Kenny Williams has proven to be awesome, but even he's gonna need a few losing seasons to turn over this roster.

Minnesota Twins: Garza for Young is starting to look really bad in hindsight right now.

Kansas City Royals: They won't finish in last, that's about as far as I'm willing to go

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA: Please let someone else win the division so the Red Sox don't get yet another free ride to the ALCS.

Texas Rangers: If Texas can't get a passable pitching staff out of Neftali Feliz and company, they really should consider getting the hell out of there.

Oakland Athletics: As with all Billy Beane teams, making predictions on them is about as futile as waiting for firejoemorgan.com to return.

Seattle Mariners: Impressed with their nice turnover on defense, not so impressed with letting Morrow languish away in the 9th inning.

Los Mets: The thread title says it all. At least they don't face Florida in the last series again.

Philadelphia Phillies: Pray to god the Eagles never win it all.

Atlanta Braves: Different year, 4th place.

Florida Marlins: Florida gets renamed to "Miami" in 2012. Only a trip to the AL is keeping Back to the Future 2 from eventually fulfilling its prophecy.

Washington Nationals: Maryland hates baseball.

Chicago Cubs: Would a repeat sweep by the Dodgers cause mass suicides? Oh well, at least they'll have Cutler to fall back on.

Cincinnati Reds: This is the one team that can either put it all together and explode ala the Rays or live in a perpetual state of mediocrity ala the Royals.

Milwaukee Brewers: Sheehan is right, sorry tyguy.

Houston Astros: Mike Hampton alone should make their season highly entertaining. There's a 0% chance Roy O finishes the year as an Astro.

Pittsburgh Pirates: Can we have Tabata back?

St Louis Cardinals: It's hard for me to outright dismiss them as they've consistently found ways to outperform their talent level. That said, the Cubs are too strong.

Colorado Rockies: I blame Cleveland for ruining 2007 for you guys.

Los Angeles Dodgers: My de facto NL champion pick via process of elimination and the distinct advantage of having Manny Ramirez.

Arizona Diamondbacks: Watch them make the WS this year after picking them all of last season.

San Francisco Giants: Barry Bonds isn't walking through that door.

San Diego Padres: This team honestly might no make 60 wins.

In conclusion, GO YANKEES!

Let me put an end to this Reds optimism once and for all.

C: Ramon Hernandez
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Brandon Phillips
3B: Edwin Encarnacion
SS: Alex Gonzalez
LF: Chris Dickerson
CF: Willy Taveras
RF: Jay Bruce

I will say this - Their pitching has a chance to be quite good, aided by a very good defense (except for Encarnacion, who's a butcher at third, and I don't know anything about Chris Dickerson.)

But look at that lineup! Votto will be good, Bruce should be good, and then everyone else is either mediocre or terrible.

The Reds will NOT place any higher than 5th in the division. I will make bets on it.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
What a crazy week this was. I spent a ton of time dealing with issues for Steve Donahue, culminating with having to go into the freaking Swim-Ex pool. :lol

Thursday was magical. First time the stadium was open to the public and it was emotional. I've been working on the project for a little over 2 years, and seriously, a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into that thing.

The absolute BEST area to chill is anywhere in center field. Mohegan Sun sports bar is so sick. The bleacher concession right above it is also a great spot to watch the game. Tommy Bahama Martini Bar is also cool, but there is no direct view of the field.

None of the seats are bad except the obstructed view seats. That was just stupid, but whatever.

I hope you guys enjoy it. Knowing every nook and cranny of the place is pretty fucking sweet, I might add. The only thing that sucks is that the toy cop security guards are a little over the top. I had to give someone the business for trying to push me around. Told him to call his supervisor to kick me out of the stadium.... but I am good friends with her. :lol

pollo

Banned
Wellington said:
What a crazy week this was. I spent a ton of time dealing with issues for Steve Donahue, culminating with having to go into the freaking Swim-Ex pool. :lol

Thursday was magical. First time the stadium was open to the public and it was emotional. I've been working on the project for a little over 2 years, and seriously, a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into that thing.

The absolute BEST area to chill is anywhere in center field. Mohegan Sun sports bar is so sick. The bleacher concession right above it is also a great spot to watch the game. Tommy Bahama Martini Bar is also cool, but there is no direct view of the field.

None of the seats are bad except the obstructed view seats. That was just stupid, but whatever.

I hope you guys enjoy it. Knowing every nook and cranny of the place is pretty fucking sweet, I might add. The only thing that sucks is that the toy cop security guards are a little over the top. I had to give someone the business for trying to push me around. Told him to call his supervisor to kick me out of the stadium.... but I am good friends with her. :lol

Good job dude. Everywhere I read seems to say the locker rooms are straight piff. Every time I read a site singin praises I feel kind of proud knowing you built em. :lol

pollo said:
dont sleep on Phillips

Phillips as an offensive player is no better than the oft-derided Rickie Weeks.

And on an unrelated note, I fully expect Weeks to trounce the offensive season that Phillips has this year. This year he will break out.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
pollo said:
Good job dude. Everywhere I read seems to say the locker rooms are straight piff. Every time I read a site singin praises I feel kind of proud knowing you built em. :lol
Thanks, I am proud as hell of that area, even though you can't really see it during game days. Myself and my 000 level partner Mike had a hell of a time putting the two dugouts together, but they looked awesome with all the players in there.

.....and I am so glad that the bullpen phones work, we broke them during the pad installation and had to perform major surgery to bring them back to life. :lol

pollo

Banned
Wellington said:
Thanks, I am proud as hell of that area, even though you can't really see it during game days. Myself and my 000 level partner Mike had a hell of a time putting the two dugouts together, but they looked awesome with all the players in there.

.....and I am so glad that the bullpen phones work, we broke them during the pad installation and had to perform major surgery to bring them back to life. :lol

:lol I know how that is. I've had one or two cases during tax season where my program completely broke the build and almost shit my pants trying to debug it. :lol

Are you completely done with work at NYS now?

tyguy20204 said:
Phillips as an offensive player is no better than the oft-derided Rickie Weeks.

Yet, he could have another 30/30 season easily with his speed and the win-tunnel installed at Great American Ballpark.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
pollo said:
:lol I know how that is. I've had one or two cases during tax season where my program completely broke the build and almost shit my pants trying to debug it. :lol

Are you completely done with work at NYS now?
I'll be here through November working on other things.

Also, in regards to that Braun pic, he is one sexy mofo. :O

Link

The Autumn Wind
SanjuroTsubaki said:
What is your system specs?
Sorry, I was at work.

Pentium 4 2.8GHz
1GB RAM

Tried on both Firefox 3 and IE8, doesn't work with either. It's actually been a problem since they redesigned the site last season. Before that it worked fine.

Wellington said:
I'll be here through November working on other things.

Also, in regards to that Braun pic, he is one sexy mofo. :O
You gonna get any ongoing benefits after you're all finished up there?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Frankman said:
Those thoughts aren't weird... I mean you like a team with A-Rod and Texieira on it.
How dare you make fun of retarded people like that

I'm getting pissed off about this. I'm going to be near the Sea of Japan, and I definitely don't need this 20th century bullshit rearing its head. North Korea can eat a dick.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
North Korea doesn't have food to feed its people, wtf are they doing building missiles? Goddamn. I hate earth.

pollo

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
I'm getting pissed off about this. I'm going to be near the Sea of Japan, and I definitely don't need this 20th century bullshit rearing its head. North Korea can eat a dick.

get ready Vas

Kaneda111.jpg

vas_a_morir said:
Are you telling me to flee to Canada?

would you relax? NK does this every ten years or so when they are running out of food. just relax and let the pros give 'em some food and they'll crawl back to their Kim jong il dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom