• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLS Thread of First Kick Tuesday, March 15, 9:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
165146.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions

Ew, MLS? Isn't the quality of play so much lower there than in the big leagues in Europe?

I don't think anyone can contend that the MLS is the equal of La Liga or the EPL, but the quality has grown in leaps and bounds since its inception in the mid 90s. It now acquits itself fairly well in international competition, particularly against Mexican sides, and I think we won't need another 16 years before we're the equal of any league in CONCACAF, the North American soccer federation. The analogy I like to use is to collegiate sports: it's undeniable that the professionals are more skilled, but that skill doesn't necessarily translate into a more entertaining experience. At the very least, both college football players and MLS players are skilled enough for it to be enjoyable to watch them.

thierry-henry-red-bulls-2.jpg

Alright, so let's say the quality of play isn't that low. What does the MLS bring to the table other leagues don't?

I can't speak for all fans, but I know that supporting a local team or even just domestic team whose games I actually have a chance at going to is a big part of building loyalty to a team. Watching Barcelona is fun, but I'll never be as connected to them as I am to a team from home soil. The league is physical and punishing, and referees do a much better job of avoiding rewarding diving than they do in other leagues. For a fan of the USMNT, the MLS remains the primary learning ground for promising new national players, among them this year Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Brek Shea, and Tim Ream. Finally, and the biggest feather in MLS' cap in my opinion, the American league arguably has the most parity of any league in the world, certainly vastly more than the popular European leagues. The championship won't be contested by the same three predictable teams this year that competed for it for the past three deacdes. Your team can move up and down in the pecking order from season to season and even within a season, and dramatic mid-year turnarounds are definitely a possibility. It injects a lot more drama into a title chase when the whole field has a shot at the start of the season.

soc_g_colorado03_576.jpg

I'm a fan of US sports in general. Why should I care about soccer?

Here are a couple of reasons why I personally enjoy the game:

It's low scoring. I know that's usually considered a downside, but I really don't think it is. Back when I watched baseball, I remember pitcher's duels being my favorite games to watch: you knew every time a player got into scoring position, the heat was on, and a slight mistake either way could make the razor-thin margin between victory and defeat. It's similar in soccer: every time the ball is in the final third is a time when the match could be decided. Plus, it means that unlike many sports, the margins are close enough in the vasy majority of game situations that a single play can make a difference. The percentage of time in which the game is up in the air is larger in soccer than in any other sport.

It's continuous action. People complain about kicking the ball along the defensive line or midfield scrums for the ball, and often justifiably. Still, those situations still beat the time between pitches in an MLB game or the huddling time in an NFL game. Plus, no commercial interruptions.

I'm a quintissential American sports fan in that I love underdog stories- and there's no bigger underdog than making soccer a success in the United States. Watching the sport grow from its infancy to where it is today has been an exhilarating experience, and I can't wait to see where the future will take it. Every successful expansion team, every USMNT triumph, every milestone of international competition for MLS clubs is placed into a larger narrative of the ascent of the game in the States, and leads us to where I believe we'll be when I'm lying on my deathbed- talking about about the Big 5 in the American sports landscape.

It's an international game. No, I'm not going to talk your ear off about the transcendent unifying force of the beautiful game, or wax poetically about its European roots. What I like is that American clubs are embedded in a wider structure, and have bigger goals to aspire to than domination of their domestic league. No other American sport has the plethora of competitions and trophies to strive for like the MLS has, and I expect that some of the most entertaining soccer this year will occur in the CONCACAF Champion's League and US Open Cup.

Fullscreen+capture+6232010+110929+AM.jpg

What's all this about different competitions?
To start with, even just within the MLS there are a few different trophies to aspire to. The MLS' answer to the President's Trophy, the Supporter's Shield, given to the team with the best regular season in the league, holds considerably more cachet than most regular season titles in American sport, probably because of the balanced schedule (each team plays each other twice under current scheduling) and because European leagues award their championships to the regular season winner. Of course, there's a standard American playoff, featuring 10 teams, 6 of which get a bye into the second round.

It gets more interesting when talking about non-league competition. You see, MLS clubs compete in a few tournaments against non-MLS teams. The most storied of these competitions is the US Open Cup- the longest continually awarded championship in American sports, its first champion being decided in 1914. This is US Soccer's answer to the FA cup, and it's unique in the American sports landscape. Any soccer team in the nation, even amateur ones, can enter the competition. The professionals get byes, of course, entering the tournament in later rounds, but it's still interesting to see minor league and amateur sides competing against the big boys.

The most prestigious is the CONCACAF Champion's League, a tournament formed of all the best teams from the North American soccer federation. It's got a format not entirely unlike the World Cup- teams are seeded into 4-team groups, play double round robin home-and-home matches, and the top 2 of each group advance to knockout stages. The teams are pulled from all over North America, with Mexico and the US getting 4 berths apiece, and with nations like Costa Ric and Guatemala also represented. The competition is in its semi-finals now, and one MLS team, Real Salt Lake, remains. They'll be playing Costa Rican dynasty Saprissa on March 16 at 8 PM EST. You can watch it on Fox Soccer Channel or CONCACAF.com.

254732840.jpg

Alright, I'll give it a whirl. Where can I watch it?
The highest profile network to carry the league is ESPN; they show one game a week on either their original station or ESPN2. All of these games will be carried on ESPN3.com. The first will be tomorrow, March 15 9:30 EST, as the Seattle Sounders take on the LA Galaxy in the first game of the season.

Telefutura's a Spanish language national network that also usually has one game a week. You almost certainly have this channel.

Fox Soccer Channel tends to have one or two games a week as well. It's a specialty station, and unfortunately difficult and expensive to get, so you might end up missing these games. Thankfully, many sports bars can show the channel.

Having a local team is the easiest way to catch games. Most teams have signed deals with their local Fox Sports affiliate, and they'll carry all the games ESPN and FSC doesn't.

Beyond that, the league offers a streaming service called MLS Matchday Live. At a 40 dollar flat charge to watch all the teams for an entire season, with a free iPhone/Android app introduced this year that will let you stream the matches on the go, it's a complete steal. Nationally televised games (including FSC games) will be blacked out, though. Check it out at https://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/secure/loginform

Team Previews

03-West.gif

LA Galaxy:
la_galaxy_logo_big.gif

Arguably the greatest coach in American soccer history, Bruce Arena, threw caution to the wind in building this year's LA squad. The team returns most of the important pieces from the Supporter's Shield winning 2010 squad, with the exception of leading scorer Edson Buddle, replaced by high-profile signing and former Aston Villa man Juan Pablo Angel. The team has talent to spare, but key players Landon Donovan, Frankie Hejduk, David Beckham, and JPA aren't getting any younger. Arena's built this squad to win now, not next season, and anything short of major silverware will be a disappointment.

Real Salt Lake:
16485_news.jpg

With their 4-1 victory in the home leg of the CONCACAF Champion's League quarterfinals against Columbus, the Royals find themselves two victories away from winning the most important trophy in North American soccer. The MLS couldn't ask for a better representative, with a squad that came just two points short of winning the Supporter's Shield last year while letting in the fewest goals in the league. They'll be hungry for trophies this year, coming up just short on the Supporter's Shield and being eliminated disappointingly against FC Dallas in the MLS Cup playoffs. They'll be counting on their mountain-air advantage this year in their home park of Rio Tinto, where their unbeaten streak has reached 33 matches in all competitions. They may have lost USMNT speedster Robbie Findley, but the addition of Arturo Alvarez means RSL should once again have an offensive bite to match their defensive discipline.

Seattle Sounders:
SeattleSoundersFC.png

After an anemic start to their sophomore season, the most popular franchise in the MLS blazed after the all star break, racking up the best record in the league in the second half of the season. They rode their good form to their second consecutive US Open Cup victory, a feat that hadn't been replicated since the '70s. An early playoff thumping by the Galaxy soured their run, but they're a deeper and healthier version of the team that looked so dangerous heading into last year's playoffs. No major acquisitions for Sigi Schmid's team, but his front office can be proud of locking up the newly minted Designated Player, the flamboyant Columbian Fredy Montero, and midfield workhorse Osvaldo Alonso. The team will want to make local legend and outstanding USMNT keeper Kasey Keller's final season one to remember.

[More to come! If anyone wants to write a preview for their team or a team they're interested in, send me a PM; I'd love some help]

MLS-Eastern-Conference.jpg

DC United
dcunited.png

The MLS' worst team in 2010 will hope to regain their former glory in this year's campaign. Their supporters have reason to hope, with manager Ben Olsen picking up some critical offseason additions. Among them is one of the most intriguing players in the league, striker Charlie Davies. A shoo-in to start for the US National team in the 2010 World Cup, Davies' career was tragically forestalled by a near-fatal car crash before the competition. The star spent a year bouncing around lower division European teams before landing in DC, and he'll hope to get his career back on track with a good season this year. MLS' winningest franchise also added promising midfield prospect Dax McCarty and striker Joseph Ngwenya. Expect them to make a playoff run in the anemic-looking east.

New York Red Bulls
6a00e54ef2975b88330120a95b8fd0970b-320wi

High-profile signings Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez may have stolen the headlines last year, but NYRB's late-season resurgence could be better attributed to the roleplayers in the team hitting their stride. With a full offseason to prepare, the New York faithful will expect their shiny new toys to justify the expenditure this season. Expectations are high, and with good reason: this team has enough star power to win all three major domestic trophies this year. If they're going to pull it off, Henry must regain some of his European form, and promising USMNT prospects Juan Agudelo and Tim Ream must continue to improve.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
TIMBERS!

I live a block away from the stadium so I am stoked for their official first MLS season.

Plus this girl is hot:

timberssigngirlwithbigsaw.jpg

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Great OP brah. FC Dallas for life!

What do you think of their chances going into this year? I heard some people comparing them to Columbus in their blowing up of their core, which sounded truly insane to me. Sure, no more Dax McCarty, but they've retained the best goalkeeper in the MLS, the reigning MVP, and one of the most promising young talents. Should be an interesting season.

I'm a Sounders fan, but I'll find myself in Dallas this summer. Mulling over buying some flex tickets this season so I can attend all the summer games for FCD.

(You should write the team preview that would go into the OP!)

Kickoff in T-minus eight hours.

So excited.

A bit miffed that first kick is competing against RSL's CONCACAF Champion's League game, though. Glad I've got a DVR to catch both.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Will tune in for a few Timbers games to see how I like it.

GhaleonQ

Nice work! *Wisconsin Chicago supporter*

This is the 1st year I'm really going to be a "serious," connected fan, so I hope the season's exciting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Timbers fans, what's the TV schedule situation like for Timbers games? I'm on Comcast right now. Do I need to get a specific channel to watch their games?

Metrostars 444 lyfe.

...and naturally, by Metrostars, I mean RBNY. :)

Still hoping for a future return of the NY Cosmos in MLS someday - it'd be awesome to have a soccer team located in the city.

Amibguous Cad said:
I'd love to have some southern expansion, but the two Florida teams DID fold.... =(
I can't say this 100%, but I think we've had pretty good showings for exhibition games at the Georgia Dome. I hope it's a sign we can sustain a team.

Meier

I always wanted to go to a Fire game but it just wasn't very convenient without a car.. had to usually buy a beer bus package and frankly it just wasn't very appealing to me. Maybe someday I'll go to a Dynamo game.

Just got the MLS Matchday live app for my iPhone. Holy hell is it cool. With a click I've got customized Twitter feeds for all the Seattle Sounders players, match previews, stats, articles from MLS.com... and that's not even considering I'll be able to stream games to the thing once the season starts. I think these features are available to anyone who downloads the app, even if you're not subscribed.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Go Red Bulls!

I can't wait for the season to start. Although Angel is gone, I think we have a great squad and a good chance to take the East again.

Good OP.

I havent followed the off season at all, because my team, the revolution, is complete garbage.

Nothing to be excited about.

:(

Sweet. Can't wait for tonight. Through numerous strokes of luck, I have ground level box seats behind the goal for the sounders game. Those of you watching might get to see me on tv when we score on L.A.

I am excited about the MLS season, forget what soccer elitest say. I support our American product and at least it is continuing to improve itself. I really do wish that DC United have a much better year. Last year was for the first time I didn't attend any games...it was that bad. And to think, they were once the face of the franchise before LA Galaxy got mainstream.

Ironically, now that LA Galaxy, it's like the more popular they get, the less likely they are to win the Cup. WTH? Hopefully both them and NY RB will stop underacheiving this year.

ESPN don't give up on soccer...force it down people's throats the same way you do the WS of Poker (which nobody watches).

Lifelong Fire supporter here. We are going to suck this year. If we make the playoffs we will do it by squeaking in the final week. The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing if our GK Sean Johnson can further develop into a star. He is right on the cusp and some say he could be our future National Team goalkeeper.

Then again, I've expected so much from my club the last 2 years and they did fuck all so perhaps now that my expectations have never been lower they will rise to the occasion and win the Cup! :D

Outdoor Miner said:
Lifelong Fire supporter here. We are going to suck this year. If we make the playoffs we will do it by squeaking in the final week. The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing if our GK Sean Johnson can further develop into a star. He is right on the cusp and some say he could be our future National Team goalkeeper.

Then again, I've expected so much from my club the last 2 years and they did fuck all so perhaps now that my expectations have never been lower they will rise to the occasion and win the Cup! :D

Sean Johnson is super cool. It's unfortunate you guys offloaded so much talent in the offseason. Then again, it's really difficult to predict what will happen in the MLS (look at some of last year's previews if you want to LOL a little bit), so you guys might end up being pretty successful after all.

<=== Philadelphia Union fan as well as a supporter and season ticket holder :)

So happy I joined the Sons of Ben and will be sitting in amazing seats in the supporter section, row 5 right behind the goal with the Delaware River right behind me.

Fear the Union this year guys!
We got Le Toux and Mwanga up front a great mid with Mapp and you can't forget our recent additions with Carroll and oh course.....MONDRAGON!!

NoRéN

GhastlyGaseous said:
Sweet. Can't wait for tonight. Through numerous strokes of luck, I have ground level box seats behind the goal for the sounders game. Those of you watching might get to see me on tv when we score on L.A.
where's mah smileys?
I hope it's a great game.

ATF487

Revolution fan here. Well sort of a fan, I kind of hate the franchise. It seems like the rest of MLS is moving forward while we're moving backwards, but I still try to keep up with results and hit a few games during the season.

I also wish all the best for the Timbers, they seem to have a really cool supporter's section and I'd love to be able to see games in that stadium. They have terraces!

Amibguous Cad said:
Just got the MLS Matchday live app for my iPhone. Holy hell is it cool. With a click I've got customized Twitter feeds for all the Seattle Sounders players, match previews, stats, articles from MLS.com... and that's not even considering I'll be able to stream games to the thing once the season starts. I think these features are available to anyone who downloads the app, even if you're not subscribed.
Heads up for those thinking about purchasing it, they will run a free preview this weekend. They have good quality streams and well worth the 40 dollars for the league.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Heads up for those thinking about purchasing it, they will run a free preview this weekend. They have good quality streams and well worth the 40 dollars for the league.

Yeah, I'm at a university, so it's a no-brainer- I'm not local to my team and my access to TV is pretty spotty anyway. I'm even willing to pirate streams to watch sports, but the MLS MDL feed is so much better than the free stuff that it's still worth the price of admission.

xbhaskarx

Outdoor Miner said:

Yeah the Fire are most likely going to suck this year, but Sean Johnson looks like he could be quite good. Also don't forget about their top draft pick Jalil Anibaba, he is very good.

xbhaskarx said:
Nice thread!

I have to say, for an expansion team the Portland Timbers are doing everything right (no offense to the Vancouver Whitecaps): An interesting stadium, great shirts, a big time sponsor, giant billboards throughout the city.

ESPN just had a nice article on the Timbers:
Where the dream of soccer lives on

Also the Timbers Army made this video

Step 1: Make the final during one NASL season
Step 2: Christen yourself Soccer City USA
Step 3: lose NASL final
Step 4: Do nothing until NASL folds
Step 5: Win two lesser trophies in your lower division league while your rivals to the north win 4 championships

Why is Portland Soccer City USA again? Seriously, I wish the Timbers organization ever possible success... except for success on the field =)

Heretic

Got free tickets to the Chivas USA game this saturday hahaha. They were desperate to get people to the game i guess.

I will definitely be going to a lot of Galaxy games this season.

NoRéN

Heretic said:
Got free tickets to the Chivas USA game this saturday hahaha. They were desperate to get people to the game i guess.

I will definitely be going to a lot of Galaxy games this season.
They give out tickets all the time. I tend to get lucky and get a good amount for the games v. Galaxy.

Packed house as always. Way to go, Seattle!

xbhaskarx said:
So Nkufo got kicked off the Sounders team like an hour before the first game?

"kicked off the team" is an exaggeration. He's not in the starting lineup, though. Rumor has it there was a disciplinary issue, but the Sounders FO have denied the rumor.

xbhaskarx

Amibguous Cad said:
Why is Portland Soccer City USA again? Seriously, I wish the Timbers organization ever possible success... except for success on the field =)
Dude I'm not a Timbers fan, I'm not going to defend them in an argument. My point was that as a neutral observer, I'm impressed with what they have done as an expansion team even before playing their first game.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Fuck ESPN for disrespecting Jp Dellecamera Glad he is on FCS though.
What's the story behind this?

I know we have JP as the play-by-play guy for local Union matches which is pretty sweet.

striKeVillain! said:
What's the story behind this?

I know we have JP as the play-by-play guy for local Union matches which is pretty sweet.
I dunno man, office politics maybe, they just didn't show him respect. I do remember from an article on ESPN feedback on World CUp coverage that casual fans preferred British commentators.

xbhaskarx

Rafa=FedKilla said:
I do remember from an article on ESPN feedback on World CUp coverage that casual fans preferred British commentators.
In that case please for the love of god remove John Harkes from my television.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm going to try to make it down from Baltimore to see some United games this season, but the shit is hard to watch sometimes on TV. The quality of the fields and the commentary just kills it for me most of the time. I'm going to make a on attempt this season though to stick with it.

Chris R

Wish I lived in the pacnw so I could go to as many sounders/timbers/whitecaps games as I wanted. One day I guess :( until then, go sounders!

xbhaskarx said:
The atmosphere at Qwest is so impressive, I would love to get up there for a game sometime.

Oh definitely. I remember going to a Colorado game a number of years ago. Sheesh. Talk about a terrible atmosphere.

I really want a team down here in the Southeast, but there's no way the crowds down here would come close to Seattle. ...although there is a pretty good youth soccer program here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom