• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLS Thread of First Kick Tuesday, March 15, 9:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to do my best to keep up this year.

GO WIZ-- er, SPORTING! Looking forward to tomorrow night's opener, and Ochocinco's debut a week later vs Fire.

Incidentally, I drive past the new stadium fairly regularly, and it's looking GOOD. It won't open until mid summer, but it's shaping up nicely. It's going to be really cutting edge.

shoplifter

You actually think CJ will get through his trial and onto the bench?

I know he loves the game and all, but if he can do that it's a sad statement on the quality of the players in the league.

Oops, I read this tweet wrong:

I'll be playing on the MLS team @SportingKC on march 22nd

In my head, it said March 26th (the date of the second game).

I don't know if he'll make it or not, but I think it will be a lot of fun if he does. Hey, Bo Jackson played in KC too, ha.

Nice, didn't find this thread until today, but I'm super pumped for the start of the season. I thought the Sounders looked pretty good on Tuesday, and while I would have preferred a point or three, it was a respectable loss at least.

On the other hand, due to goal differential, Sounders are now in dead last. Hope this is the only time all season that that's the case!

blurrygil

Azuran said:
Being a TFC fan is depressing. Every year, after every season, I say I'm not gonna support and believe MLSE's crap anymore, and yet here I am giddy as hell because the opening game is only a couple of days away.

Bloody hell, ya boys still having probs with the ticket situation up there? You boys are getting straight r*ped on prices...

And the fact that the entire club has to be carried by DDR isn't going get them anywhere.

Duane Cunningham said:
Oops, I read this tweet wrong:
In my head, it said March 26th (the date of the second game).

I don't know if he'll make it or not, but I think it will be a lot of fun if he does. Hey, Bo Jackson played in KC too, ha.

What I joke this is. I suppose if he has a run of it, then I'll shut up about it. Otherwise, this is a bigger PR stunt than Goldenballs doing, well....f**kin anything.

He can't make starting XI. I'll eat my pint glass if he does...

Amibguous Cad said:
254732840.jpg

Damn sexy start to a trophy case... ;-)

xbhaskarx

Vermes: Ochocinco making team is a long shot

After being pestered for nearly a week about the possibility of bringing Ochocinco in for a trial, Vermes finally relented on one condition.

“The communications department came to me and said that he was interested in trying out,” Vermes said. “I heard that for like five days, and I finally said ‘Look if you are serious, the only way that it would a remote possibility was if I talked to him first.’”

Unsurprisingly, Ochocinco was extremely convincing.

“I directly asked him if it was a media thing because I know he’s a media junkie,” Vermes said. “I don’t mean that in a negative way. It’s just what he is. He said ‘No. I’m totally serious. I love the game. I’ve always wanted to play soccer. That’s the sport I love the most.’”

With those words ringing in his ears, Vermes put his stamp of approval on a four-day trial for the 33-year-old wide receiver that will begin next Wednesday and stretch until Saturday. If Ochocinco manages to impress the coaching staff, the trial could be extended.

On one hand, the move is a brilliant public relations ploy for an organization that has made plenty of splashes during the past year. On the other, Vermes hasn’t been shy to give players a chance on trial, and none have the athletic pedigree Ochocinco does.

xbhaskarx

MLS Opener Up 112% in Viewership on ESPN
The 2011 Major League Soccer season got off to a much stronger start than last year.

Tuesday's Galaxy/Sounders MLS season opener earned a 0.39 U.S. rating and 604,000 viewers on ESPN, up 129% in ratings and 112% in viewership from last year (PHI/SEA: 0.17, 285K).

The Galaxy's win was also up 85% in viewership from the 2009 season opener, which featured the Sounders' MLS debut (NY/SEA: 327K).

The game also earned 79,000 viewers on ESPN Deportes, up 84% from last year (PHI/SEA: 43K).

Combining the household and P2+ viewership for the ESPN and ESPN Deportes telecasts, Tuesday's match drew a 0.43 U.S. rating and 683,000 viewers, up 115% and 108%, respectively, from last year (0.20, 328K).

(ESPN)

Ratings are still low of course, but it's great that they were way up....

xbhaskarx

6:30pm ET
Vancouver - Toronto FC

7:30pm ET
D.C. United - Columbus
New York - Seattle

8:30pm
Houston - Philadelphia
FC Dallas - Chicago

9:00pm ET
Colorado - Portland

10:30pm ET
Chivas USA - Kansas City
San Jose - Real Salt Lake

Azuran said:
Being a TFC fan is depressing. Every year, after every season, I say I'm not gonna support and believe MLSE's crap anymore, and yet here I am giddy as hell because the opening game is only a couple of days away.

I just polluted the EPL - I mean Official Football Thread, with some MLS comments.

Go Caps!

Die Sounders Die
Die Timber Die

lawyer-tatoodie-bart-diesideshow-bobno-that_s-german-for-the-7.jpg

xbhaskarx

Vancouver - Toronto is now 1-1, Hassli scored for Vancouver a few minutes ago and De Rosario just scored the 8,000th goal in MLS history.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Just bought Match Day Live and......it's not working.

Yeah, that sucks.
It's working on iPhone/iPad.

xbhaskarx said:
Vancouver - Toronto is now 1-1, Hassli scored for Vancouver a few minutes ago and De Rosario just scored the 8,000th goal in MLS history.

Yeah, that sucks.
It's working on iPhone/iPad.
It sucks because this was the game I was most looking forward to, hopefully it's by San Jose/RSL.

xbhaskarx

Rafa=FedKilla said:
It sucks because this was the game I was most looking forward to, hopefully it's by San Jose/RSL.

Aside from those two games I'm really looking forward to NYRB Seattle and Colorado Portland. At least Colorado Portland is on FSC so that will be fine, but NYRB Seattle is starting now and it's only MatchDay Live, so who knows if that one will work properly or not...

xbhaskarx

NYRB - Seattle is working on MatchDay!!

NoRéN said:
For the DirecTV subscribers, the Columbus game is on channel 642 while the NY - Seattle game is on 634.

Oh, I didn't know that, guess I'll watch it on TV then.

Azuran

Banned
We're already worse than Vancouver. Man, I can tell this is gonna be a long season. Am I allowed to change teams?

xbhaskarx

Azuran said:
We're already worse than Vancouver. Man, I can tell this is gonna be a long season. Am I allowed to change teams?

Yes I'd say you're allowed, it's MLS no one will care.

RSL looks so freaking good, if they win down in Costa Rica I am declaring myself a RSL lifelong.

Socreges

Banned
The Van/Toronto game has been AWESOME. Great atmosphere, great back-and-forth play, and of course a 2-1 lead for the Caps doesn't hurt.

Loving Chiumiento's play.

bonesmccoy said:
GO CAPS!

First time in my life I've had an actual professional soccer/football team nearby. But who to support? I'm from Toronto, but live in Victoria. I guess since my wife and 2 sons are BC born and bred, I'll have to side with Vancouver.

The eventual Pacnorwest rivalry of Seattle/Vancouver/Portland is going to be awesome.
Yep. Plus the Canadian Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal [2012] rivalry.

Azuran said:
Everyone's a new fan in Vancouver, so you're more than welcome here.

xbhaskarx

Socreges said:
The Van/Toronto game has been AWESOME. Great atmosphere, great back-and-forth play, and of course a 2-1 lead for the Caps doesn't hurt.

Yeah the atmosphere is great in Vancouver based on what I saw in the first half.
And the Caps offense doesn't look quite as awful as people were expecting it to be, but then I guess they only added Chiumiento and Hassli recently. Hopefully they are not done making moves.

There is actually a decent crowd at RFK, looks like the buzz around DC United will be good for attendance.

Agudelo draws a penalty kick for NYRB! Nice pass from Henry. Keller stops Henry!

xbhaskarx

Vancouver scores again, it's now 3-1.

Will Toronto at least be better than Montreal next year?

And they almost scored again!

xbhaskarx

LOL Hassli again

4-1 Caps

LOLOL

Wow Toronto with a great goal makes it 4-2, this is quite an entertaining game. What a stike!

About to get my Doop on!! Houston is going down, Philly is gonna whip they ass!! Lol

Got my season "tickets" in the mail to finally, not even tickets but its a card I swipe.
Each card too came with a scarff that has a zipper inseam where you can put you card, wallet, keys, etc...

Also they have points system with the cards, 10pts when you use them and Union win, 30pts if you get into the game 30min early, 50pts for area rivals etc.....

Like 500 pts gets you access to a practice session, 750 a jersey, and many other things. Top point accumulators at seasons end also get in a raffle for signed team jersey.

NoRéN

Pkm said:
About to get my Doop on!! Houston is going down, Philly is gonna whip they ass!! Lol

Got my season "tickets" in the mail to finally, not even tickets but its a card I swipe.
Each card too came with a scarff that has a zipper inseam where you can put you card, wallet, keys, etc...

Also they have points system with the cards, 10pts when you use them and Union win, 30pts if you get into the game 30min early, 50pts for area rivals etc.....

Like 500 pts gets you access to a practice session, 750 a jersey, and many other things. Top point accumulators at seasons end also get in a raffle for signed team jersey.
Damn that's great. Take notes, LA.

ATF487

Pkm said:

That's really damn cool.

I hate all of you guys with your cool MLS franchises. You know what the revs have done this year? We can sit on the other side of the stadium now!

xbhaskarx

Josh Wolff scores for DC! 1-0
He takes off his shirt and leaps into the crowd, but I do't see a yellow card like for the Caps dude.

53rd minute Charlie Davies makes his debut!

Azuran

Banned
That was pathetic. Glad to know our defense is still nonexistent. At least I don't have to expect any scoreless games with this team

xbhaskarx

Judderman said:
GOAL! AGUDELO!
Agudelo already looks bigger and stronger than he did last year.

I was saying the other day that Seattle could be in trouble (relatively speaking, for a top 5 team). In terms of goal scoring ability they look very average.

leroidys

I don't understand how we keep packing QWEST field. Sounders are shit. I haven't caught a game where they've scored in two years. I want sigi out. Every single game across the past 3 seasons, it looks as if the team has never played together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom