• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLS Thread of First Kick Tuesday, March 15, 9:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoplifter

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Heads up for those thinking about purchasing it, they will run a free preview this weekend. They have good quality streams and well worth the 40 dollars for the league.
Also, note that by purchasing Matchday Live, you can watch via pc, iOS device, and apparently in the next month or so, Roku. I went DirectKick the last two seasons, but went MDL this year as I think we're cutting the cord In The next couple months.

Hopefully Foxsoccer.tv comes with something for set top boxes as well for next Euro season.

Beckham is a diving ass.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Sounders, though. We looked shaky in the first ten minutes, but the last 30 sounders had the better of both chances and possession. If we play this well all year, we'll be competing for major trophies.

Nkufo would totally have finished the chance O'Brien White flubbed, =(. Gorgeous run by Zakuani, though.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I hope to make opening day on Saturday for DCU's game against the Crew. This season can't be worse than last year's for DC United.

shoplifter

sazabirules said:
I hope to make opening day on Saturday for DCU's game against the Crew. This season can't be worse than last year's for DC United.
Can't get any worse than that dump. That said, it's the perfect place for the DC Scum.

only half joking

Damn, taking the good with the bad tonight over MLS.

Glad the season finally kicked off, but then my wife gets a call and finds out her assistant broke her wrist so my wife as a township recreation director is stuck running her youth indoor soccer tourney....Mar.26th...which is the Union home opener!!
Now I have to find a buddy to accompany me and my son to the Philly vs. Van. opener...number of MLS fans I personally know, ZERO lol.
Currently trying to convince my brother to drive down from Scranton for the game.

Last season was my MLS virgin year, my son is hardcore into soccer and plays year round even for a team called Chelsea Metro which is an all-star type team with ties to to the English team (staff from Chelsea visits the team a few times a year)
So once we heard Philly was getting a team we jumped right in lol.

Last year as complete MLS noobies we saw every game they played at the Linc before PPL was open, even the Celtic and Man U. game.
You would not believe the turn out here in Philly. One thing you can say about Philly fans we love our home teams...except maybe the trash Sixers. Would be great tho to really see MLS get big so it can get the love the Phillies, Eagles, and Flyers get. Gotta admit, we are a STRONG city in sports and support...except maybe the sixers lol.

I think tho the $900 I paid was well worth it for the 3 season tickets, as well as paying the $100ish bucks for supporter status so we could sit at the river end with the nuts lol. Hated feeling like a dick screaming and jumping around with the "casuals", tho my son did get a few high fives when we got lucky enough to sit near real enthusiast.

If your in the area I highly recommend seeing your team at PPL, its a beautiful stadium. It's a little small but since the Union packed 40k into the Linc a few times the smaller PPL is always full and loud!

Oozer3993

xbhaskarx said:
The atmosphere at Qwest is so impressive, I would love to get up there for a game sometime.

Seeing a Sounders game at Qwest Field is on my bucket list. I wanna go support my fellow Cleveland native soccer fan. This game has been pretty entertaining so far, but you can tell it's early in the season, because nobody can finish.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Amibguous Cad said:
"kicked off the team" is an exaggeration. He's not in the starting lineup, though. Rumor has it there was a disciplinary issue, but the Sounders FO have denied the rumor.

They cut him. Look on the Sounders site.

bluemax said:
So nothing changed from last year?

11 clean sheets in 30 games is better than anyone's performance last year but RSL's, my friend.

sazabirules said:
They cut him. Look on the Sounders site.

Yeah, I looked it up on halftime. Can't fathom what could have happened. Nkufo wasn't the game changer some of us were hoping for, but he did a great job of creating space for some of our other players. It's no coincidence Montero got hot last last year right around the time we signed him. At least with Jaqua looking to be healthier and O'Brian White we're deeper at target forward than we were last year.

Clydefrog

Heretic said:
Got free tickets to the Chivas USA game this saturday hahaha. They were desperate to get people to the game i guess.

I will definitely be going to a lot of Galaxy games this season.

I got offered free tickets to a Chivas game last year at a soccer store when I was buying cleats. I said no thanks :lol

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Fuck ESPN for disrespecting Jp Dellecamera Glad he is on FCS though.

Fuck JP, he's awful and clueless. I'll be happy if I never hear his voice commentating a game again.

BTW tonight's game was ugly. I know it will take a few games for players to get into gear, but ew. Harkes was singling out Beckham for being bad but everyone was rusty. Juninho with a moment of beauty in a shitty opener.

still happy MLS is back though!

I got some RSL season tickets for Christmas so very excited. I played soccer in high school and college but its been 5/6 years since I attended a game. Should be fun.

They Won their CCL semi finals game tonight :)

Daigoro

shoplifter said:
Also, note that by purchasing Matchday Live, you can watch via pc, iOS device, and apparently in the next month or so, Roku. I went DirectKick the last two seasons, but went MDL this year as I think we're cutting the cord In The next couple months.

Hopefully Foxsoccer.tv comes with something for set top boxes as well for next Euro season.

wow. thats awesome. i did Direct Kick one year, but got all of the games on various cable stations after that without having to shell out. MDL sounds great though, especially with something like Roku.

now if FSC did something similar i could live without cable for life.

jamesinclair said:
Good OP.

I havent followed the off season at all, because my team, the revolution, is complete garbage.

Nothing to be excited about.

:(

way to support the team. what passion!

how about: GO REVS! fire the front office! stop sucking this year! fuck DC, piss on the Fire, and Philly can eat a dick! also lol Red Bull.

thats how its done. ;)

06nbarnhill said:
I got some RSL season tickets for Christmas so very excited. I played soccer in high school and college but its been 5/6 years since I attended a game. Should be fun.

They Won their CCL semi finals game tonight :)

If they take care of business in the away leg, you really MUST go to the finals game in Rio Tinto. An MLS squad hasn't won an international cup since the 90's!

Amibguous Cad said:
If they take care of business in the away leg, you really MUST go to the finals game in Rio Tinto. An MLS squad hasn't won an international cup since the 90's!

I know I am very excited. May hafta call in sick to work since they conflict.

Never thought I would see Utah excited about soccer but RSL has developed quite the following.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Are you kidding? DCU should contend for a playoff spot imo, Najar and Hamid a year older, adding Davies, McCarty, Perry Kitchen, etc.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Are you kidding? DCU should contend for a playoff spot imo, Najar and Hamid a year older, adding Davies, McCarty, Perry Kitchen, etc.

My post meant that DCU would have a better season this year since last year was their worst season ever.

So apparently Chad Ochocinco is on trial for Sporting KC.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...ochocinco-to-trial-with-kansas-city.html#more

I know it's inviting a media circus, but I can't help but hope he manages to find his way into a starting position. The exposure will be good for the league, and more importantly, entertaining. Ochocinco's one hell of an athlete, and if he has any technical skill at all (which he should, having played when he was younger), he could be an asset for SKC.

ngower

Last night's game was awful, hope that's no indicator of the upcoming season. Then again, watching the Revs all year long, I might just be in for an entire season of miserable soccer. What's new?

Amibguous Cad said:
So apparently Chad Ochocinco is on trial for Sporting KC.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...ochocinco-to-trial-with-kansas-city.html#more

I know it's inviting a media circus, but I can't help but hope he manages to find his way into a starting position. The exposure will be good for the league, and more importantly, entertaining. Ochocinco's one hell of an athlete, and if he has any technical skill at all (which he should, having played when he was younger), he could be an asset for SKC.

That is the positive way of looking at it.

Unfortunately I see further ridicule if he actually does make the squad. It will only reinforce the idea the mainstream has that our league is a joke and the only athletes worth following are playing basketball, baseball, and football.

xbhaskarx

ngower said:
Last night's game was awful, hope that's no indicator of the upcoming season.

Rain + field turf.

At least one MLS team, Real Salt Lake, looked extremely impressive last night, they should have won 3-0.

It's true that last night was mediocre soccer, that's partially explained by both teams being rusty, but I think the Galaxy at least have a decent excuse: They were playing a road game in front of a massive crowd on slick field turf, without Ricketts, Angel, and Gonzalez. What's the Sounders excuse, shouldn't they be used to the Seattle field and weather? The Sounders offense looks unimpressive, where will the goals come from?
I think everyone lumps together five teams as the best in MLS this year, Real Salt Lake, Red Bulls, Galaxy, Dallas, Sounders, but unless the Sounders get some help I'm not sure they belong in that group. They will probably add a designated player in the summer, but they should make a move even before then.

xbhaskarx

NFL.com story on Ochocinco

Ochocinco announced, via Twitter, that he will play for MLS team Sporting Kansas City later this month.

"#OCNNBreakingNews I'll be playing on the MLS team @SportingKC on march 22nd, thank everyone involved especially coach Vermes #EPIC"

The club said Wednesday that after the four-day tryout, it would determine whether to extend the trial period. Ochocinco grew up playing soccer and remains a big fan of the sport and counts superstars Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ronaldinho among his friends.

Sporting Kansas City manager Peter Vermes said "we're excited to see how his skills will translate."

Ochocinco said he's "excited to be able to follow my childhood dream."

xbhaskarx said:
Rain + field turf.

At least one MLS team, Real Salt Lake, looked extremely impressive last night, they should have won 3-0.

It's true that last night was mediocre soccer, that's partially explained by both teams being rusty, but I think the Galaxy at least have a decent excuse: They were playing a road game in front of a massive crowd on slick field turf, without Ricketts, Angel, and Gonzalez. What's the Sounders excuse, shouldn't they be used to the Seattle field and weather? The Sounders offense looks unimpressive, where will the goals come from?
I think everyone lumps together five teams as the best in MLS this year, Real Salt Lake, Red Bulls, Galaxy, Dallas, Sounders, but unless the Sounders get some help I'm not sure they belong in that group. They will probably add a designated player in the summer, but they should make a move even before then.

The abrupt departure of a designated player and key tactical position in Blaise Nkufo didn't really help matters.

But I think you're underselling the Sounders' performance last night. They had the better of possession, the better of the run of play, and the lion's share of the chances. They looked the better side for most of the night, against one of the best teams in the league, and it took a moment of individual brilliance from Juninho to put them away.

I think Dallas and Seattle are on the second tier of "could be contending for the SS and MLS Cup, but they have some question marks," along with Colorado, with LA, NY, and RSL definitely in the first tier. Last night didn't do much to change my evaluation.

xbhaskarx

Amibguous Cad said:
But I think you're underselling the Sounders' performance last night. They had the better of possession, the better of the run of play, and the lion's share of the chances. They looked the better side for most of the night, against one of the best teams in the league, and it took a moment of individual brilliance from Juninho to put them away.

I think Dallas and Seattle are on the second tier of "could be contending for the SS and MLS Cup, but they have some question marks," along with Colorado, with LA, NY, and RSL definitely in the first tier. Last night didn't do much to change my evaluation.

I didn't say the Galaxy played much better than the Sounders, I said they had a much better excuse for their poor play.

I think we agree on Dallas and Seattle, they're not at the same level as RSL/NY/LA. I'd put Colorado in a third tier of teams that have the potential to improve enough to do some damage, along with Philly, DC, KC, Houston
and maybe Portland?

Pctx

Banned
reilo said:
Timbers fans, what's the TV schedule situation like for Timbers games? I'm on Comcast right now. Do I need to get a specific channel to watch their games?
Reilo, I believe Fox 12 has the games (including the first game... I believe) in HD OTA from what I've been told. Wouldn't doubt that Comcast or Frontier would have the games either.

Wife is buying tickets for the home opener of which I am JACKED ABOUT!

xbhaskarx said:
I think we agree on Dallas and Seattle, they're not at the same level as RSL/NY/LA. I'd put Colorado in a third tier of teams that have the potential to improve enough to do some damage, along with Philly, DC, KC, Houston
and maybe Portland?

FWIW, here's the power rankings SBNation's got going on right now:

sbn_power_rankings_03015.png

This looks right to me, especially with the huge drop-off between the top six and the rest of the league. There are a lot of teams with a few question marks duking it out for those last 4 playoff spots. Wildcard race should be fun this year.

xbhaskarx said:
I didn't say the Galaxy played much better than the Sounders, I said they had a much better excuse for their poor play.

I'm not so sure about that. Having a prominent player leave so soon on such acrimonious terms couldn't have been good for morale. With Nkufo's abrupt departure and Jaqua's preseason injury we were down to our third-string target forward- the guy that flubbed Zakuani's gorgeous setup toward the end of the first half. Speaking of Zakuani, he was a surprise start, having been injured in the year's last preseason game, and lacked much of the explosiveness that makes him so special; he was probably around 75%. He also lacked preferred midfield companion, Brad Evans, also out with an injury from preseason.

Damn, no love for Philly as reasonable contenders?

I had hoped recent additions in the line-up including last years stand outs would mean people have more faith in them.

I have a shit ton a faith they make the playoffs this year win it all, or at the least advance pretty far.

First of all ya gotta give the coach his props, Peter Nowaks always been a known as a good coach.

After Le Touxs league high combined 14 goals and 11 assist
Mwanga's near ROY winning season (Finishing his first season with seven goals four assists, the highest number combined mark among rookies,)
Adding Justin Mapp mid-season to the Line-up was another great pickup

Then just this off-season they picked up Brian Carroll from Columbus
Picked up verteran GK Faryd Mondragon from FC Cologne
ex-MLS MVP Carlos Ruiz

Good collection of Columbian talent to compliment Roger Torres and Mondragon with
Juan Diego González Alzate and Calos Valdez

Then the list of quality young guys they have..
Jack McInerney, Kyle Nakazawa, Amobi Okugo, Roger Torres, and Sheanon Williams

add in guys I didnt mention which I think should have a great season like Califf, Harvey, Miglioranzi, and a few others...
No to mention the rookies who havent looked bad, even 16 year old local boy Zach Pfeffer.

I really think given Phillies love for there teams and the support they provided them that the Union are about to blow the **** up lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Pctx said:
Reilo, I believe Fox 12 has the games (including the first game... I believe) in HD OTA from what I've been told. Wouldn't doubt that Comcast or Frontier would have the games either.

Wife is buying tickets for the home opener of which I am JACKED ABOUT!
Cool, thanks. I checked their schedule on their website and it's a bit ambiguous. Apparently there's a new sports channel called ROOT SPORTS that used be Fox Sports Net or something. It's wholly bizarre.

Pkm said:

I had hoped recent additions in the line-up including last years stand outs would mean people have more faith in them.

I have a shit ton a faith they make the playoffs this year win it all, or at the least advance pretty far.

First of all ya gotta give the coach his props, Peter Nowaks always been a known as a good coach.

After Le Touxs league high combined 14 goals and 11 assist
Mwanga's near ROY winning season (Finishing his first season with seven goals four assists, the highest number combined mark among rookies,)
Adding Justin Mapp mid-season to the Line-up was another great pickup

Then just this off-season they picked up Brian Carroll from Columbus
Picked up verteran GK Faryd Mondragon from FC Cologne
ex-MLS MVP Carlos Ruiz

Good collection of Columbian talent to compliment Roger Torres and Mondragon with
Juan Diego González Alzate and Calos Valdez

add in guys I didnt mention which I think should have a great season like Califf, Harvey, Miglioranzi, and a few others...
No to mention the rookies who havent looked bad, even 16 year old local boy Zach Pfeffer.

I really think given Phillies love for there teams and the support they provided them that the Union are about to blow the **** up lol.

Philly's definitely on the rise. I think they've got a good chance at getting one of the East's automatic qualifying spots, and failing that, they should still make the playoffs as a wildcard.

Pctx

Banned
reilo said:
Cool, thanks. I checked their schedule on their website and it's a bit ambiguous. Apparently there's a new sports channel called ROOT SPORTS that used be Fox Sports Net or something. It's wholly bizarre.

Well knowing some folks at Fox 12, they are going to be airing most of the games as the "premier" partner of the Timbers. Anyhoo, I'm sure once we get into the season they'll be more local press about it (and hopefully national too!)

Also, if ya guys want...

A while back I posted quite a few pictures on this page in a thread, even meeting Le Toux and having him sign my FIFA 2011 lol
Amaing pic of PPL, Giggs sticking his hand down someones pants, and a beauty of a pic I got of Hart.

Have a look tell me what ya guys think, I took about 5k pics during the whole season and I could share more if ya guys ever want. Ill be taking thousands more this season too

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396362&page=65

DSC_0619.jpg

xbhaskarx

Amibguous Cad said:
FWIW, here's the power rankings SBNation's got going on right now:
sbn_power_rankings_03015.png
Apparently SBNation is not worth much...

1. The 8 teams they have making the playoffs this year are the same teams that made the playoffs last year aside from KC replacing the Crew.
2. They have 8 playoff teams even though the playoffs have been expanded to 10 teams!

Pkm said:

See above regarding SBNation.
I put the Union on my list of reasonable contenders. I don't think anyone can say with certainty which teams out of Philly/DC/KC/Colorado/Houston/SJ/Portland will be contenders and which ones will not be. All those teams have reason for optimism.
Personally I think San Jose and Portland will fall just short and the others will make the playoffs.

Pkm said:

I like Okugo but I don't really know much about the Union, how much is he expected to play this year?
I'm asking for fantasy soccer purposes because his salary is under 5.

Pkm said:

That link will only work for 50 comment / page peasants.

xbhaskarx said:
Apparently SBNation is not worth much...

1. The 8 teams they have making the playoffs this year are the same teams that made the playoffs last year aside from KC replacing the Crew.
2. They have 8 playoff teams even though the playoffs have been expanded to 10 teams

Well, it makes sense that the teams that did well last year are expected to do well this year.

The point of the power rankings isn't to put exactly 10 teams in the first two tiers- tier 1 is the teams we're pretty confident will have a shot at the SS, tier 2 is teams we're pretty confident will make at the playoffs, and tier 3 are teams we think have a shot at the playoffs if things fall out favorably. Generally tier 2 grows as the season goes on and we get a better sense of who's a playoff team and who isn't.

xbhaskarx

Amibguous Cad said:
Well, it makes sense that the teams that did well last year are expected to do well this year.

The point of the power rankings isn't to put exactly 10 teams in the first two tiers

MLS isn't quite the NFL but it's still known for parity, that is a bad assumption most years.

When the tiers are basically named "Playoffs!" and "Wait 'til next year" it sure seems like you're expecting only those 8 teams to make the playoffs...

xbhaskarx said:
I like Okugo but I don't really know much about the Union, how much is he expected to play this year?
I'm asking for fantasy soccer purposes because his salary is under 5.

Thats a really good question, the Union stacked the Mid. deep this season...maybe to much talent in the mid and forwards..a little light on D, again..

Taking from Union page...

How will a crowded midfield shake out?

Good problems are really just decisions that need to be made. This is one of them. Nine players on the roster are vying for time in Manager Peter Nowak’s midfield, but only four will earn starting spots if the club uses some variation of a 4-4-2, the club’s preferred shape in 2010. For the sake of argument, let’s discuss seven who have a legitimate claim when the opening whistle blows this Saturday in Houston

Here's a challenge: Name three of seven who shouldn’t be out there between Carroll, Justin Mapp, Roger Torres, Amobi Okugo, Kyle Nakazawa, Stefani Miglioranzi and All-Star Sebastien Le Toux.

The last player on this list, who will likely line up as a right-sided attacking midfielder with Ruiz and Danny Mwanga up top, is clearly a lock for one of the four spots. Four-time Supporters’ Shield winner Brian Carroll is a near certain starter as a defensive midfielder. Justin Mapp proved he deserves starter’s minutes over half a season with the Union, so let's say he receives the nod on the left.

But then what? The final spot is anyone’s guess. Much will depend on the club’s formation against the Dynamo, and no one will really know until lineups are released about an hour before kick off.

xbhaskarx said:
MLS isn't quite the NFL but it's still known for parity, that is a bad assumption most years.

Sounder at heart did a really interesting series of articles examining parity in the MLS. The general conclusion, as I recall, was that the MLS has even more parity than the NFL, at least with the kind of parity we're concerned about when predicting the results of a future season. You can find 'em here.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2010/11/29/1841555/parity-what-is-it-and-how-much-is-right-part-1
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2010/12/6/1856517/parity-what-is-it-and-how-much-is-right-part-2
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2010/12/28/1901012/parity-what-is-it-and-how-much-is-right-part-3
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2011/1/10/1926877/parity-what-is-it-and-how-much-is-right-part-4

Anyway, while I'm sure we'll look back at these power rankings later in the season and laugh, I think they're the best guesses we can give. They've certainly taken offseason moves into account- Columbus dropping precipitously, KC moving up, DCU almost in playoff position- and I don't know what else we're supposed to go on. What do you think they've gotten wrong?

I still think FC Dallas is going to continue to be underrated, but the season will sort itself out. RSL will win the Suppoters Shield though.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
I still think FC Dallas is going to continue to be underrated, but the season will sort itself out. RSL will win the Suppoters Shield though.

They look pretty good, but I think they've also lost enough talent to fall a tier behind the real contenders in RSL, LAG, and NYRB. No more Atiba Harris, Dax McCarty, Cunningham...

Azuran

Banned
Being a TFC fan is depressing. Every year, after every season, I say I'm not gonna support and believe MLSE's crap anymore, and yet here I am giddy as hell because the opening game is only a couple of days away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom