• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

john tv

Oh, snap -- three new games will be up in Japan as of this morning:

1. Kamaitachi no Yoru (Chun Soft, SFC)
2. Be Ball (Hudson, PCE)
3. Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus, SFC) <---- woot

I don't remember Kid Icarus being that hard if you managed your hearts and got all of the health and arrow-power increases.

And don't forget the credit card! That makes purchasing easier.

Zerodoppler said:
Gawd, the second level of Kid Icarus is kicking my ass! I need to collect some hearts.

Yeah, I played for 30 minutes and just gave up in tears.

Do those rooms you go in to with nothing but enemies serve ANY purpose? The first level, I insisted in going in this one room with a load of things flying around over and over again until I managed to kill them all without dying. And nothing happened. What the ****?

TheGreatDave said:
Yeah, I played for 30 minutes and just gave up in tears.

Do those rooms you go in to with nothing but enemies serve ANY purpose? The first level, I insisted in going in this one room with a load of things flying around over and over again until I managed to kill them all without dying. And nothing happened. What the ****?

Those rooms are for the purpose of becoming "getting lost".

Rotanibor

What do some of the shop items in kid icarus do again? I go in the shop and there is a barrel and a potion bottle and a feather and I don't know which one I should buy.

Rotanibor Eht said:
What do some of the shop items in kid icarus do again? I go in the shop and there is a barrel and a potion bottle and a feather and I don't know which one I should buy.

Barrel = essentially a subtank

Potion Bottle = Full health or a full block of health (can't remember)

Feather = If you fall to your death, the Feather will save you (you'll fly for a brief amount of time).

Rotanibor Eht said:

First - The rooms with all the monsters in them help you to build up your EXP. Yes, once you get into the game there are rooms where Zeus or somebody will upgrade your arrow power and health based on the # enemies you've killed or the amount of hearts, I'm not sure which. It's a one time thing, of course. You go in the room and either get the power up or not based on your numbers. And if you dont, you can't go back in unless you die and continue.

There's a good guide HERE (It's the second FAQ) that explains all the EXP stuff. It's actually kinda complicated.

The items are such

Glass - Restores health
Bottle - Restores health when you run out
Barrel - allows you to store 8 bottles
Feather - Saves you if you fall in a pit.

I got Icarus and Kirby, never played either one. Icarus is great, awesome mix of Metroid and Zelda (a lot more Metroid), I find it to be pretty deep for such an old game.

Kirby is like a bad SMB3 knock off, i just can't get into it. It seems way to easy and the levels are uninspired. I just did one world though so maybe it gets better.

thefro

There's something that's just awesome about Kid Icarus even though it's hard and a bit of a grind at the beginning. It's probably from the music and all the gametypes it juggles (basically a hybrid of Nintendo's big 3 NES franchises). Hopefully they perfect it on the Wii.

MiamiWesker said:
Kirby is like a bad SMB3 knock off, i just can't get into it. It seems way to easy and the levels are uninspired. I just did one world though so maybe it gets better.
Your right, but for some reason I find myself enjoying this game alot... Probably because the ease just makes it fun, plus the colors look great on my TV.

tim1138

Does the screen for Kirby seem off center for anyone else? I loaded it up and during the gameplay levels there was a blue bar (the same color as the background) running vertically down the left side of the screen.

Kevtones

I know as soon as I plunk down these 1300 on some VC game, Nintendo is gonna announce a Sin + Punishment directors cut for next week or something....

Basically, nothing I NEED, but stuff I WANT...

MicVlaD said:
Is it normal that Gunstar Heroes has interlacing in 480P, if that's the correct term? Some sprites, be it characters or parts of the environment split up (horizontally) whenever there's some action going on. The sprites of some gun types (the one with the flame, or with the big orange orbs) aren't all that visible either at times because of this.

I have component cables and it's the European version I bought. Haven't seen anything like this in the trailer on GT and I haven't switched the Wii to 576i to see if it helps. Any tips?
Third time's a charm...

Well damn, I absolutely don't remember Super Mario Bros being that awesome :| . I must say that even though I enjoyed this game when I first played it when I was pretty young, I always kind of avoided it because I had the impression that it was really too hard, because it kicked my ass at first... But now that I replay it, it's in fact pretty damn cool, and addictive !
Late to the party, guess.

Just finished it, great game. Way easier than I remember (that last level still kicked my ass though) Next on the list of Mario games that I have missed : probably Super Mario World, then Super Mario Bros 3.
But I think I will just get Kirby first.

Jiggy

dr3upmushroom said:
Your right, but for some reason I find myself enjoying this game alot... Probably because the ease just makes it fun, plus the colors look great on my TV.
Yeah, easiness in conjunction with the speed are what make the good Kirby games work--the less successful Kirby games (which, as far as potential future VC releases go, are Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64) are just as easy but the movement is always too sluggish to allow them to be as fun as they should.

tim1138 said:
Does the screen for Kirby seem off center for anyone else? I loaded it up and during the gameplay levels there was a blue bar (the same color as the background) running vertically down the left side of the screen.

yeah, i have that too.

Guys, Kid Icarus is freaking hard.

i remember. how the **** did i beat this game when i was 5 years old?

i feel like my gaming skills have declined a ridiculous amount. i don't know if it's the fact that i play games maybe 5 hours a week now, or whether i've gotten too old, or whether new games and the fact that you can save level by level has made me a worse player (or a combo of all of the above), but damn i am having a tough time with some of these games. contra III, comix zone, smw, kid icarus... all giving me trouble at some point!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i remember. how the **** did i beat this game when i was 5 years old?

i feel like my gaming skills have declined a ridiculous amount. i don't know if it's the fact that i play games maybe 5 hours a week now, or whether i've gotten too old, or whether new games and the fact that you can save level by level has made me a worse player (or a combo of all of the above), but damn i am having a tough time with some of these games. contra III, comix zone, smw, kid icarus... all giving me trouble at some point!

Its because you dont have your Game Genie! You've been a cheater since you were lil' FMT!

Linkup

Dragona Akehi said:
Nein, I read it online. This is something that Nintendo needs to fix: when there is an update for ANY GAME they should be sending you a Wiimail.

You mean for games you actually own. No reason to send me a "hey zelda is fixed!" if I didn't buy it.

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, easiness in conjunction with the speed are what make the good Kirby games work--the less successful Kirby games (which, as far as potential future VC releases go, are Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64) are just as easy but the movement is always too sluggish to allow them to be as fun as they should.
Yea, can't wait for the Super Nintendo one, which was the best paced one. Not to mention the best one, (Sorry Canvas Curse... You come in second).

Also the MM update is great, now the game is playable again.

Jasoco

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
I'm gonna drop kick Nintendo in the face if they remove JUSTIN BAILEY from Metroid.
Ditto. Except for me it's NAR PASSWORD.

tim1138 said:
That's visible even in the emulator ROM when playing on a computer or on an NES connected to an LCD. A lot of NES games have it because that area is usually cropped off the screen on a regular CRT. You have to live with it.

Also, WTF? Why the hell can't I buy these points? The damn store won't accept my card info. It's a debit card. A VISA Debit Card. And all the information is correct. The number. The address stuff. For some reason damn Wii Store won't believe me! WTF DO I DO? I WANT TO PLAY KIRBY!!! :( I don't HAVE A Credit Card! It's a Check Card but it's Visa. Xbox LIVE accepts it! EVERY ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD THAT TAKES VISA ACCEPTS IT! Why won't NINTENDO??

I'm pissed off. I'm sure as HELL not going to buy a card from a store and pay $29 for what I can get for $20+tax on the console store.

Jasoco said:
Ditto. Except for me it's NAR PASSWORD.

That's visible even in the emulator ROM when playing on a computer or on an NES connected to an LCD. A lot of NES games have it because that area is usually cropped off the screen on a regular CRT. You have to live with it.

Also, WTF? Why the hell can't I buy these points? The damn store won't accept my card info. It's a debit card. A VISA Debit Card. And all the information is correct. The number. The address stuff. For some reason damn Wii Store won't believe me! WTF DO I DO? I WANT TO PLAY KIRBY!!! :( I don't HAVE A Credit Card! It's a Check Card but it's Visa. Xbox LIVE accepts it! EVERY ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD THAT TAKES VISA ACCEPTS IT! Why won't NINTENDO??

I'm pissed off. I'm sure as HELL not going to buy a card from a store and pay $29 for what I can get for $20+tax on the console store.
Are you sure you're not getting the County/Country thing confused?

It's happened to a lot of people.

Jasoco

Banned
No, I'm doing my County. In dfact, I actually asked myself and had to press the Quit button to close the keyboard to make sure I read County right and not Country. Bucks County PA. It should work unless my bank doesn't have that info correct which would be stupid since I haven't moved out of the city, zip, state and county I'm in since I opened that account! WTF? I also double and triple checked my card info. It's all correct! 100% correct as of what I should know! What is going on? It's gotta be that second screen. Can't they just have you put your actual address and info in like every other ordering screens I've ever seen?

tim1138

Jasoco said:

Ok, thanks.

maynerd

Banned
Jasoco said:
No, I'm doing my County. In dfact, I actually asked myself and had to press the Quit button to close the keyboard to make sure I read County right and not Country. Bucks County PA. It should work unless my bank doesn't have that info correct which would be stupid since I haven't moved out of the city, zip, state and county I'm in since I opened that account! WTF? I also double and triple checked my card info. It's all correct! 100% correct as of what I should know! What is going on? It's gotta be that second screen. Can't they just have you put your actual address and info in like every other ordering screens I've ever seen?

Why don't you call nintendo and find out?

You should also consider decaf.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MicVlaD said:
Third time's a charm...

you sure that's just not some flickering when the action gets hectic? I don't think that's the same as a progressive/interlaced issue.

Jasoco said:
No, I'm doing my County. In dfact, I actually asked myself and had to press the Quit button to close the keyboard to make sure I read County right and not Country. Bucks County PA...

did you try "Buck's County" ?

Kiwi

MicVlaD said:
Is it normal that Gunstar Heroes has interlacing in 480P, if that's the correct term? Some sprites, be it characters or parts of the environment split up (horizontally) whenever there's some action going on. The sprites of some gun types (the one with the flame, or with the big orange orbs) aren't all that visible either at times because of this.

Nintendo kept the sprite limitation in the virtual console emulator.

Genesis and older systems have a limited amount of sprites that can be displayed per scan line. Gunstar Heroes certainly has a lot of sprites going on screen and can hit that scan line limitation pretty quickly. That's why you're seeing that "tearing" effect on screen. The sprite limitation is more obvious on 8-bit systems, which they are limited to 8 8x8 sprite a scanline.

Jasoco

Banned
levious said:
did you try "Buck's County" ?
The county is not "Buck's". It's "Bucks". And yes, I have now tried every combination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucks_County

maynerd said:
Why don't you call nintendo and find out?
"> Error Codes > 208015 Error Code 208015 It appears the card you are using was declined. Please contact the card's issuer for further assistance."

And say what? That I can't use my Debit card to buy games off my game console's online store? That would confuse the crap out of them.

Has anyone else tried to buy points with a Debit card? Did you get this problem and error too?

maynerd said:
You should also consider decaf.
Caffeine Free Mt. Dew tastes terrible.

I'm disappointed. Disappointed that I can't just buy the points at Nintendo's site. Or with a Debit card. Or in a store for the same price that the Wii Store sells them for without being charged an extra $8. I should have known Nintendo'd screw this up somehow. :(

maynerd

Banned
Jasoco said:
"> Error Codes > 208015 Error Code 208015 It appears the card you are using was declined. Please contact the card's issuer for further assistance."

And say what? That I can't use my Debit card to buy games off my game console's online store? That would confuse the crap out of them.

Has anyone else tried to buy points with a Debit card? Did you get this problem and error too?

Sorry you're right posting your issue in a non nintendo forum about using your debit card thru Nintendo rather than calling them direct is a much better choice.

Jasoco

Banned
No, nevermind, I got it. I checked the customer service and found a page telling how to write it so the Tax thingy will accept it.

Edit: Also, the Virtual Console Download Progress animation is the greatest thing evar! :lol

dyls

This isn't really VC related (at least I don't think it is) but did anyone else just get a new update? It was maybe a 30-second download that i got through the normal system update section in the Wii settings, thought it still says firmware 2.0U I don't think it's the Military Madness update seeing as how I don't own the game.

Anyone know what it is? Of course it says "Parental Controls are now available" but it says that every time you update, so I don't think it's related.

FirewalkR

dyls said:
This isn't really VC related (at least I don't think it is) but did anyone else just get a new update? It was maybe a 30-second download that i got through the normal system update section in the Wii settings, thought it still says firmware 2.0U I don't think it's the Military Madness update seeing as how I don't own the game.

Anyone know what it is? Of course it says "Parental Controls are now available" but it says that every time you update, so I don't think it's related.

Must be for the new Everybody Votes Channel you can get at the Wii Shop for free (Wii Ware section). Details here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142400

levious said:
you sure that's just not some flickering when the action gets hectic? I don't think that's the same as a progressive/interlaced issue.
Could be: as I mentioned before, I don't remember the correct name of the problem. All I know is that some sprites seem to 'split apart' if you will (even when there's only a slight hint of action), making some things like your own gunfire harder to see.

Kiwi said:
Nintendo kept the sprite limitation in the virtual console emulator.

Genesis and older systems have a limited amount of sprites that can be displayed per scan line. Gunstar Heroes certainly has a lot of sprites going on screen and can hit that scan line limitation pretty quickly. That's why you're seeing that "tearing" effect on screen. The sprite limitation is more obvious on 8-bit systems, which they are limited to 8 8x8 sprite a scanline.
Yeah, ok. One thing I don't understand though: how come the game looks normal in that video on GameTrailers and is there anyway whatsoever to get rid of this graphical flaw? Or is it something that's... 'exclusive' to the European version of the game?

So I d/led Kid Icarus today (which is whooping my ass BTW) and i had my Wii plugged into my HDTV with component cables, and I got to play for the 1st time and all I get is a black screen, with sound in the back round. If i hit home i can see the the title screen, but when i try to play nothing is there. So i switchted back to normal cables and the game works fine...

WTF? What gives?

Jasoco

Banned
I've never been able to do good at all in Kid Icarus. And since they removed cheats, that pretty much seals that I won't ever download it. Darn. Oh wells.

I did get Kirby's Adventure. For some reason I was never able to get into it on a computer and emulator nor have I ever owned a cartridge. But on the Wii I'm having the time of my life. It's also kicking my ass.

Can't wait for Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) to show up. THAT one I did own and loved to death back then. Especially the music. I can't wait. It's gotta show up some time.. right? Right?

I also got Pinball because I'm a Pinball whore. If they put the Atari 2600 on here, I'd buy Video Pinball too.

I don't get why the Wii doesn't remember your information. Every time you need to buy more points, you have to enter all your info again. Why? Can't they save it in the console and maybe if you need to require you enter a password to use it? (For safety of course. Stolen console, children going wild on the store..)

I might even buy SMB. Might.

Don't see it posted upthread, but the Euro VC shop now has a notice of updates for both Military Madness & Mario Kart 64 on the opening screen. The MM update seems to be the same one Dragona mentions, while the MK64 apparently fixes an issue with the character selection screen.

Hopefully further MK64 updates will be in the pipeline...

Ranger X

Got Kirby!
Perfect emulation again. Even better looking than on my NES thanks to component cables!
Damn i'm really getting in love with the VC.

Must... resist... buying... Castlevania...

Top Bottom