• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

DMczaf

Cosmonaut X said:
Don't see it posted upthread, but the Euro VC shop now has a notice of updates for both Military Madness & Mario Kart 64 on the opening screen. The MM update seems to be the same one Dragona mentions, while the MK64 apparently fixes an issue with the character selection screen.

Hopefully further MK64 updates will be in the pipeline...

What was the issue with the selection screen?

seat

Ranger X said:
Got Kirby!
Perfect emulation again. Even better looking than on my NES thanks to component cables!
Damn i'm really getting in love with the VC.
I never got around to playing Kirby on NES when it was originally released, but I am really damn impressed at the sprites and animation in this game, considering it was designed with 8-bit limitations. I can't recall any other games looking as smooth as this game on the NES. Nintendo certainly knows how to get the best out of their hardware, and I'm definitely glad they put this game up on VC.

RaidenZR

I too was playing Kirby and I'm pleasantly surprised by its NES technical prowess. Question: I guess HAL aped the scrolling tower technique in World 3 from Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (1991 release to Kirby's 1993 release)? Or did some other game from some other company do something similar before even that? I'm only curious because I always loved seeing such visual trickery as a kid when playing SG'NG. It was a cool technique that I still admire to this day.

Edit: Images for reference--

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
ghoulsscreen012wt8.jpg

Kirby's Adventure

59.png

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
RaidenZR said:
I too was playing Kirby and I'm pleasantly surprised by its NES technical prowess. Question: I guess HAL aped the scrolling tower technique in World 3 from Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (1991 release to Kirby's 1993 release)? Or did some other game from some other company do something similar before even that? I'm only curious because I always loved seeing such visual trickery as a kid when playing SG'NG. It was a cool technique that I still admire to this day.
A British game called Nebulus was released for a few different computers (Commodore 64, Atari ST, etc.) in 1987 with the same effect. As far as I know, this was the first game to use it.

The U.S. version of Nebulus was called Tower Toppler, except for the NES and Game Boy versions, which were called Castelian.

Castelian_1.png
gb_0004_011.png

RaidenZR

Whimsical Phil said:
A British game called Nebulus was released for a few different computers (Commodore 64, Atari ST, etc.) in 1987 with the same effect. As far as I know, this was the first game to use it.

The U.S. version of Nebulus was called Tower Toppler, except for the NES and Game Boy versions, which were called Castelian.

Castelian_1.png
gb_0004_011.png

Awesome! Thank you! This is the kind of random factoid I was oblivious to and was hoping someone would enlighten me with. You'll have to pardon the Commodore 64 ignorance as it was my misfortune to never have exposure to it.

Jiggy

Didn't see this posted...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13183

It seems Legend of the Mystical Ninja has been rated for Australia. Man oh man, I hope that gets a release both there and the US and, really, everywhere. What a just plain fun game that was, with a superior soundtrack, entertaining co-op, and... yeah.

On a complete tangent, though, why would you get Gradius if you could get Gradius (in-game arcade) plus Goemon for 300 more points?

Muppet345

So, let's discuss the issue of Kid Icarus passwords. From everything I've read and tried personally, passwords from Kid Icarus NES do not work with Kid Icarus VC, and vice versa. Therefore, none of the old cheat codes work, as says the warning when you purchase the game. This suggests there's some sort of new password system because they had an issue with the old one. ******* is saying it's due to a hardware issue, but they don't quote a source and they tend to like to make stuff up. Is it possible the cheat codes are still in the game, just under different passwords?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Jiggy37 said:
Didn't see this posted...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13183

It seems Legend of the Mystical Ninja has been rated for Australia. Man oh man, I hope that gets a release both there and the US and, really, everywhere. What a just plain fun game that was, with a superior soundtrack, entertaining co-op, and... yeah.

On a complete tangent, though, why would you get Gradius if you could get Gradius (in-game arcade) plus Goemon for 300 more points?
Perhaps because in Legend of the Mystical Ninja you only get to play the first stage of Gradius?

And good lord, release this game in the U.S. immediately! Sure, I own the cart already (both the U.S. and Japanese versions, actually), but I will happily buy it again. I'm a sucker for Goemon like that.

Special Note to Konami: Hey there, guys. I know it might be a little bit of work, but if you wanted to be really, really cool, before you throw this game up on the VC, could you please go into the ROM and change the two main characters' names from Kid Ying and Dr. Yang back to Goemon and Ebisumaru? That would be so, so awesome if you would do that. Because, wow. Kid Ying and Dr. Yang? Lame. Totally lame.

angelfly

Kevar said:
So, let's discuss the issue of Kid Icarus passwords. From everything I've read and tried personally, passwords from Kid Icarus NES do not work with Kid Icarus VC, and vice versa. Therefore, none of the old cheat codes work, as says the warning when you purchase the game. This suggests there's some sort of new password system because they had an issue with the old one. ******* is saying it's due to a hardware issue, but they don't quote a source and they tend to like to make stuff up. Is it possible the cheat codes are still in the game, just under different passwords?
My guess is something they changed caused the passwords to be generated differently so the cheats are still there just not the same password.

maxmars

[Nintex] said:
Just downloaded a MarioKart 64(EU) update, I haven't tried it out yet.

I have also downloaded that, plus a Military Madness update. Had to run to work, didn't see what changes. Anybody knows more?

angelfly

maxmars said:
I have also downloaded that, plus a Military Madness update. Had to run to work, didn't see what changes. Anybody knows more?

The MK64 update fixed a bug that happened when the game stayed on the title screen too long.

fresquito

The update for Military Madness works like a charm. I thought it was a problem of the original game, but it seems it wasn't. Now it's easier to navigate the scenario.

Nice :)

maxmars said:
It solves the scrolling problem. Now the music doesn't get interrupted and the scrolling is much smoother.

Lavpa Jasai said:
So I d/led Kid Icarus today (which is whooping my ass BTW) and i had my Wii plugged into my HDTV with component cables, and I got to play for the 1st time and all I get is a black screen, with sound in the back round. If i hit home i can see the the title screen, but when i try to play nothing is there. So i switchted back to normal cables and the game works fine...

WTF? What gives?

Does anyone know why its doing this?!

mosaic

go eat paint
Lavpa Jasai said:
Black screen... sound in background... Does anyone know why its doing this?!
Is the Wii set to 480i? I get the same thing if the system is set to 480i, but when it's set to 480p I can see the video.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
New ROM files in the server for the European VC:

- Kirby's Adventure (NES)
- Excitebike (NES)
- R-Type III (SNES) [This was already in the server last week - will it be released this week?]
- New Adventure Island (Turbografx)

Some or all of these games will almost certainly be released this week in Europe. I'll inform you when the screenshots are in.

fresquito

Myke Greywolf said:

- Excitebike (NES)
- R-Type III (SNES) [This was already in the server last week - will it be released this week?]

Some or all of these games will almost certainly be released this week in Europe. I'll inform you when the screenshots are in.
Sounds like a solid release.

I hope Kid Ikarus hits the European VC soon :)

rdellw

Myke Greywolf said:

- Excitebike (NES)

Where's LTTP Nintendo!

Dave Long

Banned
The Military Madness fix is just plain awesome. The game was basically unplayable for me once I got to Scenario 4 with that ugly sound bug. Now that it's fixed, it might be my favorite Virtual Console game.

keanerie said:
"I'm finished!"

So sick of seeing that shit. I will conquer you, Kid Icarus...I swear it.

I agree, that game is so unforgiving, im only on the third level!

But I REFUSE to let it overcome me...I WILL beat it.

Or die trying..

Either one works

keanerie said:
"I'm finished!"

So sick of seeing that shit. I will conquer you, Kid Icarus...I swear it.

I can't get past the 2nd level. I almost did earlier before class... but I guess I was in a rush because I was almost late, but I didn't want to stop playing. Sign of an awesome game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
If you farm the enemies that pop up at the end of 1-1 (walk back and forth until they spawn and duck under the fireballs) until you get 999 hearts (or about 50,000 points), you will get an additional two life bars after completing the stage. This makes the rest of the game much easier.

Pud

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I can't get past the 2nd level. I almost did earlier before class... but I guess I was in a rush because I was almost late, but I didn't want to stop playing. Sign of an awesome game.

Ah yes, a whole new generation of gamers will discover how much they truly suck with gaming now that Kid Icarus is out!
I'm only at the first boss temple... I mean seriously, this game made me realize how much easier gamers have it nowadays - how the hell did I beat this so handily when I was a kid?!

Pud said:
Ah yes, a whole new generation of gamers will discover how much they truly suck with gaming now that Kid Icarus is out!
I'm only at the first boss temple... I mean seriously, this game made me realize how much easier gamers have it nowadays - how the hell did I beat this so handily when I was a kid?!

I'm not part of said generation, I used to own this game when I was younger. I just didn't play it that much.

Slacker

Pud said:
Amen. This game is kicking my ass around the room. I need to keep an old NES controller handy so I can chuck it at the TV so I don't inadvertantly hurt my remote.

Pud

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I'm not part of said generation, I used to own this game when I was younger. I just didn't play it that much.

I wasn't directing my statement completely at you... just that you brought up an interesting point. This game kicks ass AND is kicking ass. It's relentless! Seriously, games have become far less challenging nowadays.

I'm at the second boss areas, the second world was much easier than the first I found. But overall this game is hard as hell but so awesome. I just found out about some secret scoring system that goes on behind the scenes in the game, might want to check out a faqs to understand it.

Lapsed

Banned
Pud said:
Seriously, games have become far less challenging nowadays.

And Kid Icarus has no unlockables. Oh noes! Where is the concept art? Where are the multiple outfits for Pit?

Kid Icarus has no soap opera plot! Where are the cinematic videos? Where are multiple characters to create 'love triangles'? What! No thin "plot twists" of an 'amazing' story? Where are the space aliens? Why doesn't Pit have a monologue to tell us how much he hates life?

These old games are so awful compared to games today!

Pud

Banned
Lapsed said:
And Kid Icarus has no unlockables. Oh noes! Where is the concept art? Where are the multiple outfits for Pit?

Kid Icarus has no soap opera plot! Where are the cinematic videos? Where are multiple characters to create 'love triangles'? What! No thin "plot twists" of an 'amazing' story? Where are the space aliens? Why doesn't Pit have a monologue to tell us how much he hates life?

I was really looking forward to Kid Icarus' bullshots and/or FMV, but since this game wasn't made by Epic, Team Ninja, Ubisoft, Guerilla Games, or Square I was incredibly disappointed :(

Deku

Banned
Lapsed said:

Emo generation ftw.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm probably coming into some Wii Shop Points soon, and I'm wondering how the emulation is on Toe Jam & Earl? Maybe a better question and one that will help others when deciding what to get... are there any games that aren't perfect and what's wrong with them?

Pud said:
I wasn't directing my statement completely at you... just that you brought up an interesting point. This game kicks ass AND is kicking ass. It's relentless! Seriously, games have become far less challenging nowadays.

Yeah! Tell me about it. Games have gotten a lot easier, which is why I love Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden (Xbox). A lot of people thought Twilight Princess was too easy and while I do think it has some moments that require some brainwork and while it does have some good, intense battles, it was too easy. However, while playing the game, it was so great that I didn't really care. I've just become so accustomed to the last 8 years or so of gaming that I don't expect much difficulty.

In any case, I look forward to gaining some more free time so I can continue my trek through Kid Icarus. If they made a sequel for Wii (or hell, any next-gen console for that matter) with the same kind of atmosphere and challenge... ah mah gahd. But then again, I'd like this to happen to every other older franchise that I love, so nothing new here. :lol

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Lapsed said:

bu bu bu i NEED my emotions! buuuuuuuuuuu

Bog

Junior Ace
My buddy Rolondo said he Dinner for One'd Kid Icarus this morning on his first ever playthrough.

Zaphod

It's weird, many games I used to have trouble with when I was younger seem easier now. But Kid Icarus always kicks my ass when I go back to it. I think I may download it and give it another try. I own the cart but my nes takes all kinds of rituals to make it work. Finding the right objects to stuff into the cartridge slot to make a proper start screen come up is tough work.

The nightmare of making it to level 3 only to watch my progress turn in to a jumbled mess of scrambled tiles can still wake me up in a cold sweats. Bad handwriting + passwords + dyslexia = a pain so deep I think I will never recover.

See, Kid Icarus can be Emo.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Myke Greywolf said:

- Excitebike (NES)

No zelda this week either? :(

Next week I will have FF6a and FF12 to play so I wanted Zelda for this weekend.

I just BEAT Kid Icarus. Once you get passed the first level and begin to powerup it gets rather easy, I easily flew through the last two worlds. Still its an awesome game, even heard there are multiple endings.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I bought Military Madness when it first game out, and yesterday downloaded the update.

However, yesterday I also picked up Mario Kart 64, and no update is available. I'm guessing that MM and MK64 now come pre-patched? That is, when you buy them after updates are released to early adopters...

Top Bottom