• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Unison said:
VC Games on the ESRB site that still haven't come out for VC:

CHEW MAN FU
Galaga
Mighty Bomb Jack
PilotWings
Pro Wrestling
Punch-Out
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts

It's starting to thin out, actually...

What about these that jarrod mentioned at the beginning of the month?

jarrod said:
Anyway, just to outline the upcoming (NA) VC games...

Leaked via ESRB-Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure (Hudson/RED Entertainment)
-Bonk's Revenge Hudson/RED Entertainment)
-Chew Man Fu (Hudson)
-Dr. Mario (Nintendo)
-Dragon's Curse (Hudson)
-Duck Hunt (Nintendo)
-Excitebike (Nintendo)
-Galaga (Bandai Namco)
-Hogan's Alley (Nintendo)
-Ice Climber (Nintendo)
-Kid Icarus (Nintendo)
-Kirby Super Star (Nintendo/HAL Labratory)
-Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo/HAL Labratory)
-Kirby's Dreamland 3 (Nintendo/HAL Labratory)
-Mighty Bomb Jack (Tecmo)
-Piltowings (Nintendo)
-Punch-Out!! (Nintendo)
-Pro Wrestling (Nintendo)
-Star Fox 64 (Nintendo)
-Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Capcom)
-Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Nintendo)
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo)
-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Nintendo/Square)
-Super Metroid (Nintendo)
-Wild Gunman (Nintendo)

)

bridegur

I bought Super Mario World just to discover that it's unplayable with a Wavebird. I now have to buy a Classic Controller- why don't the games have a button mapping option? Nintendo can really suck sometimes.

Pud

Banned
BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Do I not know how to use the classic controller or is it a pain to use for Mario Kart 64? My hands still hurt after playing just one cup. :-(

Classic controller SUCKS for N64 games, in my experience. It is GODLY for anything else (NES, TG16, Genesis and SNES especially) but it doesn't feel right at all for N64 games. Try a GC controller/wavebird for N64 titles, it feels much nicer to me.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
NES (500 Points) – Excitebike, Kirby's Adventure
SNES (800 Points) – R-Type III: The Third Lightning

Europe: New Adventure Island (600 Points)

For Aussies this week, dont know the UK title for the T16 if one.

VOOK said:
NES (500 Points) – Excitebike, Kirby's Adventure
SNES (800 Points) – R-Type III: The Third Lightning

For Aussies this week, dont know the UK title for the T16 if one.

Posted it in the Euro thread, but the TG16 title is New Adventure Island. ****ing excellent week again!

SumGamer

Was the SNES Super Advanture Island II from Hudson or Data East?
They should get that up soon, coz I'm paying.

I just notice that :S, 16 times.
Did You Know? : Master Higgins is actually based on a real-life Hudson employee! Takahashi Meijin, currently an executive with our Japanese side, was the inspiration for the character, and has becoming a gaming celebrity throughout Japan. He is known for his unique ability to press a joystick button 16 times in 1 sec, thus earning him the name: 16-shot. There’s no way of knowing if Takahashi-san ever lived on a tropical island and had to rescue a damsel in distress, but he sure does look a lot like Higgins. At least when he had more hair!

Rlan

Nooooooooo!!

I tried to swap over from Australia to the UK, but nw it's actually giving me a warning that if I *DO* want to change over to the UK server, I'll lose all my points. Dammit. They mentioned this on IGNAU a while ago, but I tried it and it didn't seem to affect it. Now since the "Everybody Votes" update, it seems it's been changed.

bugger bugger bugger.

I may have to bite the bullet and buy via Euro - but it'll be another dollar more expensive. Dammit.

Pud said:
Classic controller SUCKS for N64 games, in my experience. It is GODLY for anything else (NES, TG16, Genesis and SNES especially) but it doesn't feel right at all for N64 games. Try a GC controller/wavebird for N64 titles, it feels much nicer to me.

Will definitely do. In the final track tears were rolling down my face from how much pain the classic controller was producing on my hands while trying to powerslide. :p

VOOK

Rlan said:
Nooooooooo!!

I tried to swap over from Australia to the UK, but nw it's actually giving me a warning that if I *DO* want to change over to the UK server, I'll lose all my points. Dammit. They mentioned this on IGNAU a while ago, but I tried it and it didn't seem to affect it. Now since the "Everybody Votes" update, it seems it's been changed.

bugger bugger bugger.

I may have to bite the bullet and buy via Euro - but it'll be another dollar more expensive. Dammit.

Yep it kicked in on Wednesday :( No more T16 for US, It will kill all your points.

Pud

Banned
BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Will definitely do. In the final track tears were rolling down my face from how much pain the classic controller was producing on my hands while trying to powerslide. :p

That is why I've always said (in pain mind you) that the dualshock design sucks completely donkey balls for 3D games. Nintendo obviously chose it because the CC was obviously designed for 2D gaming (nice big D-pad being in the primary control position)... and 3D gaming was definately designed to be a secondary function. I can't fathom why Sony, who is now using a DS design to power their PS3, can still stick with that archaic design. I'm glad I've got a couple wavebirds lying around to play N64 VC titles, that's for sure!

-Opaque-

Rlan said:
Nooooooooo!!

bugger bugger bugger.

Beyond importing euro points cards you may not even be able to do that because I think it will block your CC for being Australian.
It is so incredibly annoying that they haven't put them on our servers. I mean they are in english, they are on the euro servers, our Wii's can download and play them, why the hell can't we have them?! So what if it was never released here? Just because of that we are never allowed to play these games ever?
Regional lockout is bad enough in this day and age but regional lockout of digitally distributed products is just stupid (ok so I suppose if a game has been banned in a country then there would be a reason to block it.)
At least the news of the possibility of translating JP titles for the US gives me some small hope that we will see the Turbo titles along with games like Super Mario RPG and Crono Trigger in the AU (and EU for the latter) shop one day.

Jasoco

Banned
Kirby's Adventure rocks. I never owned it as a kid. I wanted it, but never got it. I also wanted Dream Land on the GB but never got that either. I did get Dreamland 3 on the SNES though. It's amazing how simple the character is, but how awesome the game is. I mean it's a pink circle with dots and a smile. "Caucasian?" No, PINK! :lol

To the person who said a bit back that Kirby is SMB3 with new characters. What are you smoking? Seriously. This is nothing SMB3.

Which I also can't wait to buy again on the VC. As well as SMB2.

Anyone know what might be on the agenda for Monday in the US?

Yeah, I'd say it's a fair comparison. Although the gameplay is a bit more of a mix between Zelda and Metroid, if that makes any sense. I'm in love with the music.

Jasoco

Banned
I love the music too, but the game is hard. Extremely. Why? Why is it hard? I want to be able to play far. But it's hard. And only one life.

Hard!
kidicarus.gif

seat

I'm really dying for Paper Mario over here. I know it'll probably be forever before it's put on the VC, but is there any possible hope of the game coming out sooner instead of way, way later?

Jasoco

Banned
Yes. Yes! Paper Mario 1. I never got to play it. But when I got PM2 I saw what I had missed. God I hope it makes its way someday.

It MUST!

No doubt it will; after all, it's a Nintendo game, and a very popular one at that. It's only a matter of time until Nintendo releases it on the Virtual Console.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Jasoco said:
Anyone know what might be on the agenda for Monday in the US?

As stated before:

- Legend of Kage (NES)
- Excitebike (NES)
- New Adventure Island (TG16)

Less likely, but possible, as the ROMs are in the server:

- Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
- Unidentified Genesis game (code MAQE)

For all european whiners: european VC actually has more games available at this moment than US VC (53 vs. 52). Stop whining. "Boo boo, me wants LttP"... Good grief!

VOOK

Myke Greywolf said:
As stated before:

- Legend of Kage (NES)
- Excitebike (NES)
- New Adventure Island (TG16)

Less likely, but possible, as the ROM is in the server:

- Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

For all european whiners: european VC actually has more games available at this moment than US VC (53 vs. 52). Stop whining. "Boo boo, me wants LttP"... Good grief!

Can I still whine? Aussie have no T16, thus we lose

AniHawk

Does anyone know whether or not the official LAN Adapter from Nintendo works with Macs? I really wanna get some of these games now.

I have Kirby's Adventure for the NES, but the system stopped working about 2 years ago and I never got a chance to play it.

I'm really looking forward to:

Comix Zone
Kirby's Adventure
Ristar
Kid Icarus
Gunstar Heroes
Toejam & Earl
Bonk's Adventure

IF I COULD ONLY ACCESS THEM.

Lince

Banned
is Comix Zone PAL optimised or a slower/borderfest 50hz crap like the rest of the SEGA VC stuff in Euroland?

edit: ok so it's slower and with black borders, no sale.

Loonz

I have my European Wii hooked by component on my HDTV (in 480p mode). I have purchased some games on the VC: some TG16 titles (which works just perfect), Super Probotector (SNES) and Kirby's Adventure (NES). With TG16 games I have no problems. But with the other 2 games, I can't play: all I can see when I try to play with them is a green screen, and after that the console returns to the main menu. Is there a solution for this issue? Is Nintendo aware of those problems? Are they going to solve them?

I've tried the games with the standard AV output in 576i mode, and they work, but I don't want to switch cables all the time just to play the games, and I want the extra AV quality that component gives. If the TG16 games works with my setup, why not the others?.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Candidates for release next week in Japan:

- Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Super Famicom)
- Yokai Dochu Ki (PC Engine)
- Wonder Momo (PC Engine)
- Double Dungeons (PC Engine)

AniHawk said:
Does anyone know whether or not the official LAN Adapter from Nintendo works with Macs? I really wanna get some of these games now.

I have Kirby's Adventure for the NES, but the system stopped working about 2 years ago and I never got a chance to play it.

I'm really looking forward to:

Comix Zone
Kirby's Adventure
Ristar
Kid Icarus
Gunstar Heroes
Toejam & Earl
Bonk's Adventure

IF I COULD ONLY ACCESS THEM.

Get one of these instead.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10v-49-en-70-1slw.html

Jasoco

Banned
I'd take Donkey Kong Country over any of the three other supposed releases for this week. Even New Adventure Island which I never got into. Well, the series that is. I could never get it. Was too hard for me back then.

dasme

Hey guys, not wanting to get off topic on this thread I wanted to let you all know about a new site I just launched. It's quite limited right now, but features will be coming fast and frequent. it's called the WiiVCdb - The Wii Virtual Console Database

It currently offers info on all the US titles with screenshots, links to reviews and other relevant links per game. Features planned for the future are listings from more then just the US region, more in house reviews, videos and cheats.

Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know. Check it out and be kind, it's a work in progress.

http://wiivcdb.com/

Christopher

dasme said:
Hey guys, not wanting to get off topic on this thread I wanted to let you all know about a new site I just launched. It's quite limited right now, but features will be coming fast and frequent. it's called the WiiVCdb - The Wii Virtual Console Database

It currently offers info on all the US titles with screenshots, links to reviews and other relevant links per game. Features planned for the future are listings from more then just the US region, more in house reviews, videos and cheats.

Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know. Check it out and be kind, it's a work in progress.

http://wiivcdb.com/

That's actually really cool dude - it looks like shit, but its understandable because it's just getting off the ground. What you have on the bottom for "random screenshots" you should make as the 'this week's" game released icons/screens.

dasme

Christopher said:
What you have on the bottom for "random screenshots" you should make as the 'this week's" game released icons/screens.

Hmm, that's something that I've never thought of. I'll look into implementing something similar. Thanks for your comments, yeah the design is minimal. It's meant to be usable on both the PC and Wii without separate style sheets... but that may not be the best way to go forward.

gkryhewy

AniHawk said:

If you have an airport-enabled laptop, you can use the laptop as a short-range wireless hub.

Anyone used the Wii Remote for Geneses games? I've noticed that Gunstar Heroes is compatible with the Wii remote... and I'm too cheap to go buy a classic controller.

soothsayer said:
Anyone used the Wii Remote for Genises games? I've noticed that Gunstar Heroes is compatible with the Wii remote... and I'm too cheap to go buy a classic controller.

Yeah, and it mostly works pretty well. The actualy HOLDING of the remote horizontally like that is a bit awkward, but it makes it with it's amazing D-pad and buttons. It's fine with the wiimote, although I still prefer the CC.

Jiggy

soothsayer said:
Anyone used the Wii Remote for Genises games? I've noticed that Gunstar Heroes is compatible with the Wii remote... and I'm too cheap to go buy a classic controller.
Works great with me for Gunstar Heroes and Ristar. Those are the only two Genesis games I got, though, so can't speak for others.

Because the VC games are tied to the console, does that mean for Wii 2, I have to buy them over again? The thought occured to me, and now I don't want to buy anymore VC titles.

Well, I don't know about you, but mine are linked with my MyNintendo account. I somewhat doubt they will charge again on Wii2, but you never know. Letting fear of bad things that may come in the future spoil your fun in the present is rarely a good plan, though.

I can't wait for Streets of Rage 2, being a SNES kid I was jealous of my friend's Genesis mostly because of SOR2

suck it down loser i only had genesis! i was lovin' SOR 1/2/3 (cough) while you were playing grab ass with captain commando! winnar!

Jiggy

Gorgie said:
Because the VC games are tied to the console, does that mean for Wii 2, I have to buy them over again? The thought occured to me, and now I don't want to buy anymore VC titles.
I don't quite understand the fear. If the worst-case scenario (which, for the record, I absolutely could never see happening) is that you'd have to pay again for your VC games to be playable on Wii 2, it's not like you couldn't just keep your original Wii and play the VC games on that. The absolute worst situation is that you wouldn't get any Ebay sale/trade-in value/etc. from the Wii 1 because you'd have to keep it.

gkrykewy said:
If you have an airport-enabled laptop, you can use the laptop as a short-range wireless hub.

He doesn't, he has an airportless tower (airport has always been bto on those)

Either way, Anihawk, the LAN adapter would just plug into your router with an ethernet cable, it doesn't have anything to do with your mac.

Top Bottom