• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

I was hoping for another Sonic release to coincide with Secret Rings' release, but I guess that isn't going to happen. :(
btw, why is it that when I turn off the system, my Gunstar Heroes save state is lost? And why didn't Nintendo add an option to exit to the Wii menu without making a new save? I mean... if you get game over, then you have to turn your system off an on again if you want to do anything else, which is a minor inconvenience. >_>

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
suck it down loser i only had genesis! i was lovin' SOR 1/2/3 (cough) while you were playing grab ass with captain commando! winnar!

And now Nintendo is dominating with DS and Wii while Sega is begging Nintendo for chump change! Who is the winnar now?! Thats what I thought, chummmmmmmmmmmmmmmP!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bigmakstudios said:
btw, why is it that when I turn off the system, my Gunstar Heroes save state is lost? And why didn't Nintendo add an option to exit to the Wii menu without making a new save? I mean... if you get game over, then you have to turn your system off an on again if you want to do anything else, which is a minor inconvenience. >_>

I really have no idea what these complaints are. None of them are true on a normal Wii, anyway.

Saoh

Christopher said:
so um is the firm wire gonna allow us to access them off the SD card? With quality releases it's gonna get pretty crowded.

and our external HDD/iPods/MP3's.

the better do, or its going to be a pain.

Legend of Kage I had in an old 32-in-1 pirate cart. Minus the nostalgia I wouldn't find much value in it. I don't recall much in the way of variety or payoff; mostly floaty jumps and getting killed with one hit.
bigmakstudios said:
It's just meant to function as a quicksave, not allow you to circumvent a game's regular saving procedures.

mosaic

go eat paint
Streets of Rage... and eventually Streets of Rage 2... will be nice... you know, because Sega keeps hacking it out of the collections they release in North America.

Sega's a weird company. I bet they'd make some decent money off of making a version of SoR2 for XBLA with online co-op and achievements. But that would make too much sense.

Oh well... at least they're re-releasing it here on VC. I feel a bit of loyalty to the Streets of Rage series, for some nutty reason.

AniHawk said:
Does anyone know whether or not the official LAN Adapter from Nintendo works with Macs?

get a d-link di-624. you can pick one up on ebay for around 15 bucks. works fine with ds and wii, and mac compatable. but for wii you have to change the routers transmission channel or something like that from 6 which is the default to 1 or 11.

Bo130

Myke Greywolf said:
Candidates for release next week in Japan:

- Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Super Famicom)
- Yokai Dochu Ki (PC Engine)
- Wonder Momo (PC Engine)
- Double Dungeons (PC Engine)

Wasn't it confirmed already, that they'll get these Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Yokai Dochu Ki and San Goku Shi IV? If that's the case, and if Nintendo will hold their promise for the games release on JP VC in february, we'll get the last games of the month on february 27th,

ƒ[ƒ‹ƒ_‚Ì“`à@Žž‚̃IƒJƒŠƒi 2007”N2ŒŽ ”C“V“° 1,200

Ocarina of Time ^^

ƒƒ“ƒ_[ƒ‚ƒ‚ 2007”N2ŒŽ ƒoƒ“ƒ_ƒCƒiƒ€ƒR ƒQ[ƒ€ƒX 600

ƒxƒAEƒiƒbƒNƒ‹@“{‚è‚Ì“SŒ 2007”N2ŒŽ ƒZƒK 600

ƒXƒg[ƒŠ[EƒIƒuEƒgƒA@Œõ‚ðŒp‚®ŽÒ 2007”N2ŒŽ ƒZƒK 600

ƒxƒNƒ^[ƒ}ƒ“ 2007”N2ŒŽ ƒZƒK 600

ƒ”ƒ@[ƒ~ƒŠƒIƒ“

¯‚̃J[ƒrƒB@–²‚̐ò‚Ì•¨Œê 2007”N2ŒŽ ”C“V“° 500

Seems like a bit much, though. I don't hope they'll push back OoT.

Pikelet

Id much prefer Majoras Mask to Oot because i have played Oot so much already and i own about three versions. If they increase the frame rate i know ill buy it anyway though... God damn it nintendo

Bo130 said:
Seems like a bit much, though. I don't hope they'll push back OoT.

If Myke Greywolf's list is accurate (and he nailed the Japanese releases perfectly last week) that leaves Kirby's Adventure, RotTK IV, Ocarina of Time, Streets of Rage, Story of Thor, Sword of Vermilion, and Vectorman as Japan releases for the final Tuesday in February. That may seem like a lot, but there were seven Virtual Console releases on the final release date in January as well: Soldier Blade, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, Mario Kart 64, Comix Zone, Gain Ground, Bonanza Bros, and Crying (aka Bio-Hazard Battle). Heck, the two weeks almost match up perfectly in terms of system releases - you just have to substitute a Famicom game for a PC-Engine game.

Also, if we do get all five games currently on the North American server, I'm making an early prediction for next week - only two games are released, but they're Ocarina of Time & Adventure of Link. Bet your mortgage on it. :lol

later

I don't know if it's been asked already, but is it possible to have multiple suspension points? I hate the way it is know, no one else in the family can play the same game since you're in the middle of it..

can mike tysons punchout!! be released on VC? i thought there would be some type of licensing issue, but wasn't mike tysons punchout!! released as a hidden game within animal crossing on gamecube?

AdamBot

FrenchMovieTheme said:
can mike tysons punchout!! be released on VC? i thought there would be some type of licensing issue, but wasn't mike tysons punchout!! released as a hidden game within animal crossing on gamecube?

It would be "Punch Out!!" ... rather than the earlier Tyson-licensed version.

Mr. Dream FTL.

but who would be the last boss then? Mr. Dream?

meh, i'd take it. me and my buddies were talking about all the characters in punchout last night and it made me want to play it.

Super Mario Brothers really holds up surprisingly well. The controls are really great, and I was even surprised with the graphics. The game is still damn hard for me too! I'm no better at it now than when I was 7.

RaidenZR

Is New Adventure Island essentially the same game as the Super NES' Super Adventure Island? It looks similar.

Edit: Nevermind. I know now that it is not. But my question is: is the music as good as in the SNES one? Super Adventure Island had a rocking soundtrack.

jko

i'm thirsting for some 8-bit fix, so i said what the heck and downloaded Kid Icarus. so playing the game for the first time in my life, and man, it's kicking my ass.

still, i'm just glad to be playing some 8-bit goodness other than those worthless sports games. keep 'em comin' Big N!! :)

Deku

Banned
Koei, make this happen!

su_0197_01.png

su_0197_00.png

Jiggy

When you all said Kid Icarus was hard, man, you weren't kidding. Pit better be a supreme warrior in SSBB considering all the stuff he puts up with in his own game... Even though the enemies move in patterns, it's somehow still harder than Zelda 1's infamous rooms with eight Darknuts.

Deku said:
Koei, make this happen!

su_0197_01.png

su_0197_00.png
Ah, Gemfire. You know, I can't say I remember much about that game except that I liked it and that you could use some interesting monsters as units...

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I know this is a stupid question considering who im asking, but Super Castlevania 4 Yay/Nay? Just consider ive played two Castlevania games. Circle of the moon which i never beat, only kinda enjoyed, and Dawn of Sorrow for the DS which i beat and enjoyed.

Im more concerned that it will be hard to go from the DS castlevania game to the Super Nintendo one, having never played any of them before Circle of the moon. thoughts?

ColdBlooded33 said:
I know this is a stupid question considering who im asking, but Super Castlevania 4 Yay/Nay? Just consider ive played two Castlevania games. Circle of the moon which i never beat, only kinda enjoyed, and Dawn of Sorrow for the DS which i beat and enjoyed.

Yes, oh GOD yes don't even hesitate.

AAHF152_16x20-No353~Ravishing-Rick-Rude-Posters.jpg

"It'll show you what a REAL castlevania game is all about..."

I really have no idea what these complaints are. None of them are true on a normal Wii, anyway.

What do you mean? As far as I know, there isn't a way to exit a game without saving except for turning off the system. And I do seem to lose my Gunstar Heroes save state... I'm almost sure that I do...but my Bonk's Adventure save hasn't ever gone away... I'll check my Gunstar save later to make sure I wasn't just hallucinating or something. >_>

Dr. Jade

DKC delayed again!? WTF Nintendo? I suppose its all strategy but honestly I'm purposely not buying anything cause im waiting for that damn game

xsarien

daedsiluap
Dr. Jade said:
DKC delayed again!? WTF Nintendo? I suppose its all strategy but honestly I'm purposely not buying anything cause im waiting for that damn game

Is there an official release list for this coming Monday?

AniHawk said:
Tried it. Doesn't work.

I have a DSL modem too, and whenever went online with the PS2 or DC, I was able to just switch it from the computer to the system. Not so much with the LAN adapter.

Really? That is odd. You are setting up the wii to use the LAN connector, yes?

Jiggy37 said:
The Reset button in the menu after pressing the Home button.
That just resets the emulated console. What he wants to do is exit a game, but keep the save state he had when he came in; something it's just not made to do.

It's just supposed to be the equivalent of sleep mode or quicksave, not a save state like on a PC emulator that you can return to repeatedly.

Jiggy

JoshuaJSlone said:
That just resets the emulated console. What he wants to do is exit a game, but keep the save state he had when he came in; something it's just not made to do.

It's just supposed to be the equivalent of sleep mode or quicksave, not a save state like on a PC emulator that you can return to repeatedly.
I had to go back and read his first message about five times to figure out what he was saying, but okay, yeah, you're right.

dyls

Jiggy37 said:
I had to go back and read his first message about five times to figure out what he was saying, but okay, yeah, you're right.

But can't you just copy the save over to an SD card before playing again, then delete the new, unwanted save, and then copy the old save back to the internal memory? I haven't tried it but it should work. Kind of a pain in the ass, but if there's a save you really want to keep, I guess it's worth the effort. Plus you don't have to get up. (We call this the Gerstmann method.)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
FFantasyFX said:
If Myke Greywolf's list is accurate (and he nailed the Japanese releases perfectly last week) that leaves Kirby's Adventure, RotTK IV, Ocarina of Time, Streets of Rage, Story of Thor, Sword of Vermilion, and Vectorman as Japan releases for the final Tuesday in February. That may seem like a lot, but there were seven Virtual Console releases on the final release date in January as well: Soldier Blade, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, Mario Kart 64, Comix Zone, Gain Ground, Bonanza Bros, and Crying (aka Bio-Hazard Battle). Heck, the two weeks almost match up perfectly in terms of system releases - you just have to substitute a Famicom game for a PC-Engine game.

Also, if we do get all five games currently on the North American server, I'm making an early prediction for next week - only two games are released, but they're Ocarina of Time & Adventure of Link. Bet your mortgage on it. :lol

Hey, I was just listing the screenshots I found in the japanese server. That's why they're "candidates" - there's no way to tell if those games will actually be released on Tuesday, and other games could still be added to the list.

AniHawk

StopMakingSense said:
Really? That is odd. You are setting up the wii to use the LAN connector, yes?

Yes, I did. I even had the modem reboot with the Wii unplugged. I tried for a good half-hour to get stuff going before I returned it to the store (it was the only one).

Myke Greywolf said:
Hey, I was just listing the screenshots I found in the japanese server. That's why they're "candidates" - there's no way to tell if those games will actually be released on Tuesday, and other games could still be added to the list.

And I was just speculating based on the evidence you found. :) I also wasn't aware that Nintendo announced upcoming VC releases in Japan on their website weekly, and that the screenshots you found and their announced lineup differed slightly.

I will say this though, unlike Europe and North America, I don't know of any case where games were put on the server and then not released on the following Tuesday. It seems like Nintendo is less concerned with faking out snoopers/putting games up on the server early in their home territory. Then again, we haven't kept track of the Japanese server for very long, correct? So, I'll be interested to see if Wonder Momo & Double Dungeons are given a surprise release on Tuesday since they aren't listed on the website.

Christopher

queefs I need some help:

How on earth do you get the Wii-mote to work with 2 player games? Of course I mean Virtual Console games, I have no idea how to make the Wii remoate respond to them? Can it?

Also has anyone maxed out their channels yet? What happened when you did so? Did another row appear? If not that's ass.

Also I asked Nintendo yesterday if I would ever be able to access VC games from our Memory cards, they said no, because your not actually buying the game your licensing to use it on your Wii - so I don't think they're going to give us more space via firmwire either.

He also said the DVD-Wii is coming out in September which could have more space, but I would have to redownload all my games (all 5 of them haha), but wow that sucks.

Glass Joe

Christopher said:
queefs I need some help:

How on earth do you get the Wii-mote to work with 2 player games? Of course I mean Virtual Console games, I have no idea how to make the Wii remoate respond to them? Can it?

Although I haven't actually tried it, I'm sure you just have to activate the second Wiimote in the main menu (before you enter the VC game)

Also has anyone maxed out their channels yet? What happened when you did so? Did another row appear? If not that's ass.

I haven't heard of anyone who's done it yet, though it's probably technically possible now. Your idea of another row appearing is an obvious one, but I doubt that happens. We'll probably get a firmware update that either gives more rows of channels or a folder option, down the line. For now you'd have to delete games you're not using and redownload the ones you bought (at no charge) later when you want them.

Also I asked Nintendo yesterday if I would ever be able to access VC games from our Memory cards, they said no, because your not actually buying the game your licensing to use it on your Wii - so I don't think they're going to give us more space via firmwire either.

I think what they meant by that is they don't want anyone to be able to trade SD cards to share games they've downloaded on other Wii's. One would assume the digital license built in prevents this already, so hopefully there will be a fix eventually.

He also said the DVD-Wii is coming out in September which could have more space, but I would have to redownload all my games (all 5 of them haha), but wow that sucks.

I doubt that's reliable information regarding the DVD-Wii... but yeah I guess if you replace your Wii you'd have to redownload / otherwise work with Nintendo to get your games back.

Regarding Excitebike (other poster):

Yeah I think now you actually can, using the save state method (meaning you never "reset" the game). It actually makes some NES games a little cooler than before, the ones that have high scores that used to be erased when you powered off.

AntMurda

Questions

1)If you set your Wii to 480P and 16:9, does it force progressive scan on to your Gamecube games played through Wii? (i recall on the Gamecube you had to hold down A and start to active prog scan) Also, does the Wii activate the 16:9 on GameCube games, and stretch the games that aren't for you???

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Any guesses yet as to how games that utilized the Expansion Pak will look? I imagine that they may me able to be upscaled to 480p like Super Mario 64 was, although I assume that the downloads for the Expansion Pak games will be larger than regular N64 game download sizes, since the emulator would have to compensate the extra horsepower required for those games (granted as long as my understanding of how the VC works is correct).

Top Bottom