• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Do you guys think it's likely that one of the TMNT beat em ups are going to come? Either the arcade version on the NES or the SNES one...I don't know which one is better or which one I want more!

jarrod said:
The thing is, it's not that these games are just emulated well... they're basically perfected. They run better than on N64, on day one... they might be among the simpler N64 projects to get up and running, but that in itself doesn't imply any sort of incapability for Nintendo to get more complex titles up and running either. Considering the documentation, resources, hardware and key people available to the Virtual Console service, there's not too much room to doubt they could probably get about any N64 title running flawlessly on Wii... even titles using complex compression techniques or microcode (Battle for Naboo, Resident Evil 2, etc).

The fact that there's only 2 N64 games available (4 planned by the end of Q1) speaks more to Nintendo's scheduling more than anything I'd say though.

If that's true, why there are some audio glitches in the emulation of Mario Kart 64 ? Anyway, I have my reasons to believe that more complex games will not be possible or worth the effort, based on how the emulation works on PC, and games relesead comercially with bad emulation.

But what I can guarantee is that the framerate of any game cant be better than what originally was on a real N64.

Oh theres a difference in framerate on the N64 games. Most of 3 player Mario Kart 64 runs as smooth as it should in 1 or 2 player modes, which is part of the reason that I wanted it on Wii for the smoothed out framerate. Its not true for 4 player mode, but its still as fun as ever.

Super Mario 64 has no slowdown at all, unlike the N64 original, that wouldnt go as smooth as it should every once in awhile.

gkrykewy said:
I don't think there's a console version of that, unfortunately. But I've already done my part in buying Golden Axe. You can add those sweet capcom D&D games to your list as well (at least I think they were beat-em-ups; they're more legend than memory for my part).

The only thing close to a console port of the Simpsons Arcade game is the DOS port, which only had up to 2 players and obviously worse sound and graphics.

What a time when arcades had the best video game technology over consoles...

BrandNew said:
Do you guys think it's likely that one of the TMNT beat em ups are going to come? Either the arcade version on the NES or the SNES one...I don't know which one is better or which one I want more!

Tie it in with the movie. I'd pay for the NES games for sure, even the first one.

beelzebozo said:
in case anyone representing nintendo is reading this, i'll be more than happy to buy every single beat 'em up you would be so kind as to throw up on vc. this includes streets of rage, final fight, simpsons, x-men, tmnt, etc.--even more than the point and click adventure squad who keeps begging for its return, i weep for the fate of the arcade beat 'em up.

I wonder if we could make a list of 'potential' beat-em-ups for the Virtual Console, based on the developers who are supporting it.

I'll give it a try!

On the NES side, these are possible:

Kung Fu(early BEU by Irem)
Adventures of Bayou Billy(Konami)
Renegade(Taito)
Target: Renegade(Taito)
Mighty Final Fight(Capcom)
P.O.W.(SNK)

Not sure if Atlus could bring over Technos' titles like Double Dragon or River City Ransom. But t'would be nice. Sames goes for Rare's games like Battletoads.(a remake of Double Dragon, IS coming to the Xbox Live service, however...). Konami still holds a TMNT license....but I doubt we'll see any of those titles. Same with Batman Returns. There was also Toxic Crusaders and Zen: Intergalactic Ninja BEUs for the NES.

On the Sega front, we have:

Streets of Rage(Sega) Already released.
Streets of Rage 2(Sega)
Streets of Rage 3(Sega)
Alien Storm(Sega)
Comix Zone(Sega) Already released.
Altered Beast(Sega) Already released.
Golden Axe(Sega) Already released.
Golden Axe 2(Sega)
Golden Axe 3(Sega...hey, they released it in the Genny collection for PS2...why not?)
Cyborg Justice(Sega)
Last Battle(Sega)
Sunset Riders(Konami...sort of a run'n gun/beat'em up hybrid)
Splatterhouse 2(Namco - more of an 'action' game, really)
Splatterhouse 3(Namco)

Again, unlikely to see any of the DD, TMNT, Batman, or Battletoads games. There were also games for Spider-Man, Captain America, Superman, Power Rangers, and The Tick.

Sega also had 'DJ Boy', a port of a Kaneko(doesn't support VC to my knowledge) arcade game, and 'Two Crude Dudes' by Data East(defunt. Don't know who owns the rights.)

As for SNES, they had a bunch of potential VC beat-em-ups:

Final Fight(Capcom)
Final Fight 2(Capcom)
Final Fight 3(Capcom)
Final Fight Guy(Capcom...if they could only combine this with Final Fight 1 to access all 3 characters...and improve a few things...alas...)
Ninja Warriors(Taito)
Knights of the Round(Capcom)
King of Dragons(Capcom)
Captain Commando(Capcom)
Sonic Blast Man(Taito)
Sonic Blast Man 2(Taito)
Rival Turf(Jaleco)
Brawl Brothers(Jaleco)
Peace Keepers(Jaleco)
Sunset Riders(Konami - superior to Genesis version)

They also had two Technos beatemups: Combatribes and Super Double Dragon. And a couple of Battletoads games as well. There were beat'emups based on TMNT, Batman Returns, Pirates of Dark Water, WildC.A.T.S., Superman, Spider-Man, Stone Protectors, Power Rangers, Captain America and an Alien vs Predator beat'em up.

Joe and Mac 1 and 2 are 'sorta' beat-em-up-ish...though, they're by Data East, and I don't know who owns the rights to those now.

There were not too many Beat-em ups on the TG16.

Vigilante(Irem) Already released.
Splatterhouse(Namco)
China Warrior(Hudson..a sort of 'Kung-Fu' clone)
Bravoman(Namco, a platformer hybrid)
Samurai Ghost(Namco, ditto)

Did I miss any?

Wow. Streets of Rage holds up!! Great game. I use to have the hots for Blaze as a kid. When she kicked you could see her panties... :lol

Edit: Now release my Eternal Champions Sega!!

Unison

Adventure Island is as fun as ever. What a freakin' awesome game.

Is it my imagination or are the secrets different than in the NES version, though?

Wait a minute here. Where the hell is Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers and ****ing Duck Tales? Is it too much to ask to bring us some NES games worth downloading?

evilromero said:
Wait a minute here. Where the hell is Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers and ****ing Duck Tales? Is it too much to ask to bring us some NES games worth downloading?

Licensed games. =(

But yeah, they're lacking a bit in the NES department. There are lots of good NES games they COULD put up.

Like Castlevania, or Contra, or Mega Man 2, or Punch-Out!!, or Ninja Gaiden, or Bubble Bobble, etc etc

Bog said:
Anyone else get VC Buyer's Remorse approximately 10 minutes after purchase?

I've had buyer's remorse on two games: Wario's Woods and Mario Kart 64. The other 8 games I own have all been exactly what I wanted them to be.

But yeah, Bog, the remorse set in rather quickly with Wario and Kart. I tarnished some of my memories!

Bog

Junior Ace
I got it with Mario Kart 64 the first time I started up my Wii after I bought it. I was like, "Wait, I can't picture a time when I'll ever want to play that."

Unison

Oh my goodness... I've spent $106 on VC games so far and I plan to buy DKC & Kirby's Adventure later today (which would make it $119).

Are other people buying as much? >_<

Mejilan said:
Where the hell is DKC?

I'm wondering that myself...

Unison said:
Oh my goodness... I've spent $106 on VC games so far and I plan to buy DKC & Kirby's Adventure later today (which would make it $119).

Yes, I have over twenty Virtual Console games myself.

Unison

Bog said:
I got it with Mario Kart 64 the first time I started up my Wii after I bought it. I was like, "Wait, I can't picture a time when I'll ever want to play that."

Haha... maybe that explains it. I would never want to play MK64 in the first place... the SNES version on the other hand....

Jiggy

Bog said:
Only on Gunstar Heroes. The other thirteen games I love.

Anyway. Out of this update... Hmm, I'll get Donkey Kong Country eventually, and probably Streets of Rage. New Adventure Island is tempting at that price point, but for whatever reason I remember not liking Adventure Island on NES as a kid. Maybe I'll still give it a shot eventually.
Of course, every week I say to myself I'll wait for some kind of deal on Wii Points down the road before getting X Game and Y Game, and then I never do. We'll see how long I hold out this time.

Bog

Junior Ace
Unison said:

$75ish here.

Unison said:

I have 13 VC games so far and there's still some games already available that I want to buy. :p

Unison said:

<_<

My list:

Super Mario Bros 5
Sonic the Hedgehog 8
Street Fighter 2 8
R-Type 8
R-Type III 8
Gradius 5
Legend of Zelda 5
Kirby's Adventure 5
Kid Icarus 5
F-Zero 8
Super Castlevania IV 8
Contra III 8
Super Mario World 8
Zelda: A link to the Past 8
Super Mario 64 10
Mario Kart 64 10
Ristar 8
Gunstar Heroes 8
Bomberman '93 6
Soldier Blade 6
Super Star Soldier 6
Bonks Adventure 6

Total: $157

Wiiiiiii~~~~~~!!

Unison said:

I've bought 44 so far - must come to something like $250 at the very least.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I just read on gamesindustry.biz that Nintendo is rethinking its policy on only releasing games on the VC in a territory where it was originally available.

Now first and third party games will be available to territories that never got the opportunity to play certain games before.

Come on, Sin & Punishment!!

Cosmonaut X said:
I've bought 44 so far - must come to something like $250 at the very least.

ace_ventura.gif

GrimReaper said:

:lol

As for Nintendo releasing games in other territories: That's good news...but c'mon, you know they planned it all along. One of their 'surprises', no doubt. If there's money to be had, Nintendo will be there, you can bet.

Luigison

Bog said:

I got buyer's remorse with Gunstar Heroes and Kid Icarus. Gunstar Heroes just isn't my type of game, and Kid Icarus is insanely hard. I'll go back to Kid Icarus and when/if I get past the first level I might feel different about it.

I'm waiting for Duck Tales, Megaman II, Tetris, Tetris Attack, Dr. Mario, and SMB3. Any word on those?

GrimReaper said:
Snipped gurning pic[/IMG]

Heh! :)

Give me five minutes and I'll figure out exactly how much I've spent...

OK, here goes:

Baseball - $5
Donkey Kong - $5
Donkey Kong Jr - $5
Excitebike - $5
Gradius - $5
Kirby's Adventure - $5
The Legend of Zelda - $5
Mario Bros - $5
Soccer - $5
Solomon's Key - $5
Super Mario Bros - $5
Tennis - $5
Urban Champion - $5
Wario's Woods - $5
Xevious - $5
Zelda II: Adventure of Link - $5

Alien Crush - $6
Bomberman '93 - $6
Bonk's Adventure - $6
Dungeon Explorer - $6
Military Madness - $6
R-Type - $6
Soldier Blade - $6
Super Star Soldier - $6
Victory Run - $6
Vigilante - $6

Donkey Kong Country - $8
F-Zero - $8
R-Type III - $8
SimCity - $8
Street Fighter II - $8
Super Castlevania IV - $8
Super Mario World - $8
Super Probotector - $8

Columns - $8
Comix Zone - $8
Ecco the Dolphin - $8
Gunstar Heroes - $8
Ristar - $8
Sonic the Hedgehog - $8
Space Harrier II - $8
Toejam & Earl - $8

Mario Kart 64 - $10
Super Mario 64 - $10

I think that comes to around $288 in total :)

There are some in there I've been a bit disappointed by, but for the most part I'm happy with the games I've purchased - though the Megadrive games really need to see the same kind of PAL fixing some of the N64/SNES/NES/TG16 games have had.

It surprises me how many people can't get far in Kid Icarus.

I played the game for the very first time in like, 1999, and beat it in one sitting. It was fairly challenging, but I thought it was fair.

LakeEarth

Luigison said:
I got buyer's remorse with Gunstar Heroes and Kid Icarus. Gunstar Heroes just isn't my type of game, and Kid Icarus is insanely hard. I'll go back to Kid Icarus and when/if I get past the first level I might feel different about it.
I was having the same problem so I'll give you a tip that helped me out a lot - you can shoot up :lol Somehow it took me an hour to figure that out.

jarrod

Banned
Vilix said:
I just read on gamesindustry.biz that Nintendo is rethinking its policy on only releasing games on the VC in a territory where it was originally available.

Now first and third party games will be available to territories that never got the opportunity to play certain games before.

Come on, Sin & Punishment!!
This was actually hinted at beforehand a few times, though not official. The ESRB gave SMB: The Lost Levels and E rating, Hudson mentioned looking into localising Dracula X PCE and Nintendo had S&P on that infamous Virtual Console poll.

Makes some sense actually imo... I expect to see quite a few titles pop up that already have solid translations in place (Mother 1, Terranigma, S&P, Alien Soldier, etc) and I wouldn't be surprised to see old titles localised or even re-localised at a premium rate (mainly RPGs most likely).

jarrod said:
Just the hottest of them all!

Goemon's Great Adventure (N64) Konami/KCEO

Ha! It did have a lot of BEU elements, wheras the first one was strictly platformer.

I didn't even bother with N64 cuz....well, read on...

In that case, here's the other N64 games that are sorta Beat-em-upish.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker(Kemco)
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys(Player 1/Titus)
Fighting Force 64(Cave/Core)
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: SubZero(Midway/Avalanche)

Wow, what a lot of worthy downloads! XD

They all suck.

Cyan said:
What's generally considered to be the best Streets of Rage game?

The second.

The third would be the best, if not for the inferior music and the mucked up translation(censorship, removed/altered enemies and playable characters, etc)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bog said:

I bought into the NeoGAF Solomon's Key hype... thought it was a pretty substandard puzzler with corny music and poor graphics; Fire and Ice (its "sequel") is a much better game, I hope to see that on the VC some day.

My best friend owns every single VC game, so far, including crap like Urban Champion and the NES sports games. Talk about buyer's remorse...

Dave Long

Banned
It's like a punch in the gut every time someone says they were let down when they bought Gunstar Heroes. Those of you who posted this need to turn in your hardcore gamer cards. You're out of the club. WTF?!

Dave Long said:
It's like a punch in the gut every time someone says they were let down when they bought Gunstar Heroes. Those of you who posted this need to turn in your hardcore gamer cards. You're out of the club. WTF?!

QFT
I just don't understand.

Top Bottom