• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

beelzebozo said:
this is a hypothetical right? wii remote/nunchaku combo isn't compatible is it?

Nope, not yet. Although we know VC downloads can have upgrades in the future. This would be a simple one I'd like to see.

Christopher

wait so hold up.

You just have your 512 flash worth of space and then you can't download anymore VC games as channels? Wtf why can't we insert an SD card and access them from there via channels?

It doesn't help when NES games take up wayyyy more than what they should.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Christopher said:
wait so hold up.

You just have your 512 flash worth of space and then you can't download anymore VC games as channels? Wtf why can't we insert an SD card and access them from there via channels?

It doesn't help when NES games take up wayyyy more than what they should.

You can always delete and redownload.

Ashodin

Vard said:
JohnTinker asks a good question. I'd also like to add, in Super Mario 64 can you fully control the camera using the 2nd analog stick or does it still rotate by a set amount like it did in the original with the C buttons?
Much like holding down the C button did on the N64 controller, pressing the C stick to the left or right and holding it down does the same thing. You rotate the camera.

Remember those who are using GameCube Pads with Mario 64 - you can use L to crouch instead of Z (fondly remembering the N64 days). It's MUCH easier to do a long jump this way.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
also as was pointed out (by me) in the other thread, you can copy all channels (including VC downloads) to your SD card. that was the whole premise of the "cracked" f-zero that is floating around. Someone copied it to their SD card and uploaded it to the net. However doing this you can only copy the file back to the Wii which it was downloaded on.

JohnTinker said:
The Wii I camped out for for 8 hours is still in the box and will not be opened until Christmas. So I have a system, 2 extra remotes, 2 extra nunchuks, one classic controller, ExciteTruck and Monkey Ball taunting me. (I'm getting paid back for all of it under the guise of family Christmas presents)

So I thought I'd gauge the sage advice of GAF: For those of you with the Classic controller, which do you prefer to play with, the Classic or the Cube controller? How does the Classic feel, and how do games like Mario 64 play?

You didn't get Twilight Princess?? Foolish

Christopher

sp0rsk said:
You can always delete and redownload.

I thought it would be cool to kinna have a archieve of the games on your system, that's crap that the Wii doesn't recognize SD card saves as channels though...firmwire upgrade?

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
WarpToken.com said:
You didn't get Twilight Princess?? Foolish
I dont have 60~ hours to plop down and play a long adventure game like TP. If I had the time, I would love to, but knowing myself, I would never finish it.

If my siblings want it, I'll buy it.

LakeEarth

Finally got a wireless router, now I just have to find my damned GC controller :lol

Updates downloaded flawlessly and played a few games of Solomon's Key. Not bad.

Kaeru

Banned
JohnTinker said:
I dont have 60~ hours to plop down and play a long adventure game like TP. If I had the time, I would love to, but knowing myself, I would never finish it.

If my siblings want it, I'll buy it.

But you have 8 hours to camp for a system?? jeez

Christopher said:
I thought it would be cool to kinna have a archieve of the games on your system, that's crap that the Wii doesn't recognize SD card saves as channels though...firmwire upgrade?
I think Nintendo will need to release an official harddrive to address these problems, especially once the Turbo CD games hit. Just hook it up to the USB 2.0 Nintendo.

So I was thinking: would you all rather prefer a subscription-style virtual console? If so, what would be your max price per month?

The more I think about the more I think I would.

StopMakingSense said:
So I was thinking: would you all rather prefer a subscription-style virtual console? If so, what would be your max price per month?

The more I think about the more I think I would.

Well of course, but it will never happen. It is too late. The gears have been set in motion to charge $5, $6, $8 and $10, and offer new games periodically. For a subscription style to work, all the VC games would have to be available now. Nintendo probably decided more money would be made selling the titles individually, and I will have to agree.

It is too late.

jwj442

I'm hoping that they'll start dropping some games' prices eventually. I mean, has anyone actually bought Pinball for $5? Or perhaps they could have a "game of the week" that's half off.

Anyway, I have 800 points left. I'm not sure what to spend them on. I'm thinking Solomon's Key or Super Star Soldier. Never played Golden Axe (it's a beat-em-up, right?) or Ecco. Or maybe I should just save the points for something else.

Um, people, you do know that you can put the VC games on the SD card and continue to download VC games, right?

I tried it, it works. Just leave your game saves on the on-board memory.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Nintendo probably decided more money would be made selling the titles individually, and I will have to agree.

Well, at the moment that appear so, but how many of us would pay 12 bucks or so a month for unlimited virtual console use? After 1 year, that would be 144 bucks for nintendo, but would we buy that much in VC games w/o a subscription? After 2? 3 years?

Also, it would be the spiritual successor to the sega channel.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Nintendo must be making a ****ing killing on these. This isnt like the itunes store where a $1.99 download costs them 1GB of bandwidth. More like 5-10 MB.

Vard said:
JohnTinker asks a good question. I'd also like to add, in Super Mario 64 can you fully control the camera using the 2nd analog stick or does it still rotate by a set amount like it did in the original with the C buttons?
The C-stick activates virtual presses of the C buttons, so it behaves just as it did in 1996.

Cheerilee

JoshuaJSlone said:
That is how it works, though I imagine if some game worked particularly poorly they could give it another control scheme.
I don't suppose there's any way inside the Wii itself for the user to re-map which button does what, is there? A lot of older games could do with a button config menu, and that'd be an easy way to give them one without breaking anything.

I remember someone suggested it a while back, and everyone else was all "Don't worry, Iwata loves you, the Revolution can make you coffee, it'll surely be able to do that." I'm guessing it can't?

Slurpy said:
Nintendo must be making a ****ing killing on these. This isnt like the itunes store where a $1.99 download costs them 1GB of bandwidth. More like 5-10 MB.

Yeah, but how much does Nintendo make off the third-party games like Sonic?

I hope Nintendo could pull off a promotion like the iTunes Pepsi Promotion where certain bottle caps would contain a code for any free song in the music store. I would drink alot of Pepsi for a free game download of my choice. *Hint* *Hint*

maharg

idspispopd
Slurpy said:

1gig of bandwidth the way Apple pays for it (mb/s), and at the rate they pay for it, translates to way less than $2/gig. And the vast majority of their sales are more in line with Nintendo's in terms of $/mb (music).

Bandwidth is rarely the limiting cost in any online service anyways. Equipment is a much larger issue.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Vard said:
I'd also like to add, in Super Mario 64 can you fully control the camera using the 2nd analog stick or does it still rotate by a set amount like it did in the original with the C buttons?

It only rotates a set amount.

EDIT: Apparently I wasn't on the last page :lol.

Unison

I wonder what versions of Adventure Island we're gonna get... I'd love all of them, really, with the SNES one being my top choice.

ruby_onix said:
I don't suppose there's any way inside the Wii itself for the user to re-map which button does what, is there? A lot of older games could do with a button config menu, and that'd be an easy way to give them one without breaking anything.

I remember someone suggested it a while back, and everyone else was all "Don't worry, Iwata loves you, the Revolution can make you coffee, it'll surely be able to do that." I'm guessing it can't?
Unfortunately not. There are so many things that are standard in all PC emulators, but with VC it seems they try to hide the fact that it's an emulator as much as possible.

Rlan

I'd love to know what versions of versions thay'll put up too. Adventure island Vs. Wonderboy.. Sparkster SNES Vs. Genesis..

dock

soundwave05 said:
Though to be honest, the regular Wiimote + nunchaku would probably be better than both for Mario 64 as it can replicate the analog + Z trigger feel of Mario 64 most faithfully. Camera control can be moved to the d-pad without problem.
I really hope we see efforts from Nintendo to offer Wiimote+Nunchuck controller options for VC games, or even just wiimote controls for certain games.

For example, if you can do Super Mario World on the GBA then you can probably do it on the wiimote.

dock UK said:
I really hope we see efforts from Nintendo to offer Wiimote+Nunchuck controller options for VC games, or even just wiimote controls for certain games.

For example, if you can do Super Mario World on the GBA then you can probably do it on the wiimote.

If you want to play GBA games you'll have to play it on DS. I have a feeling Nintendo will keep it this way.

dock

underfooter said:
If you want to play GBA games you'll have to play it on DS. I have a feeling Nintendo will keep it this way.
Um, that wasn't what I was talking about at all.

I was saying that it would be nice if Nintendo offered a control option for SNES Super Mario World that just used the Wiimote. Sure, the classic controller would probably be better, but the Wiimote in NES mode would be sufficient for Super Mario World.

alisdair

The GBA has shoulder buttons. The Wii Remote doesn't. You can't play Super Mario World properly with a D-pad and two buttons.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
OnWarmerMusic said:
Not to mention the most insanely difficult five bucks I've spent in ages :lol. That game owns me. How far along are you?

i'm at the eighth level, i think. it owns me too, to be honest--i'm not master ninja solomon's key player. but if you hold 1, 2, and up at the game over screen, your game will continue. so you don't have to start over the whole game each time you die.

phew.

dock

alisdair said:
The GBA has shoulder buttons. The Wii Remote doesn't. You can't play Super Mario World properly with a D-pad and two buttons.
I could live without the shoulder buttons (look left + right in SMW), so we'd just need an extra button for spin-jump / get off yoshi. The large A button near the d-pad would probably do for that. It's not ideal, but it's sufficient for for the most part. The option would be nice, that's all.

beelzebozo said:
if you hold 1, 2, and up at the game over screen, your game will continue. so you don't have to start over the whole game each time you die.
Does this, along with the suspend option on VC, mean you can always play from the last level you were up to?

beelzebozo said:
god, solomon's key is the best five bucks i've spent in ages.
Solomon's Key is awesome. After all you guys blabbering about it I finally downloaded it and have to agree. I surprised I never knew about this game back in the day.

One question about VC, which has probably been answered way back a few pages, what happens if your console breaks? Does that mean you just lost all the games you paid for?

fresquito

I Am Error said:
Solomon's Key is awesome. After all you guys blabbering about it I finally downloaded it and have to agree. I surprised I never knew about this game back in the day.

One question about VC, which has probably been answered way back a few pages, what happens if your console breaks? Does that mean you just lost all the games you paid for?
You tell Nintendo, they give them to you.

fresquito said:
You tell Nintendo, they give them to you.
So basically you call them and say my console broke, this is my Wii number and this is my new console's Wii number? This way they can somehow enable in their system what your new console is able to download and disable what your broken one was able to download?

fresquito

I Am Error said:
So basically you call them and say my console broke, this is my Wii number and this is my new console's Wii number? This way they can somehow enable in their system what your new console is able to download and disable what your broken one was able to download?
Yeah, you tell them what you downloaded, they check it, see you're telling the truth and include the games in the new console. As far as I know, this is how things work.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dock UK said:

well with games like Duck Hunt announced I don't see how they'd play without allowing use of the wiimote's pointer functionality. I don't think the original duck hunt was playable without the zapper.

jarrod

Banned
Unison said:
I wonder what versions of Adventure Island we're gonna get... I'd love all of them, really, with the SNES one being my top choice.
Well Japan's getting the PCE version (featuring Higgins). I could see SEGA releasing Wonder Boy independently though, likely the SMS version (when the platform inevitably gets added).

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if we'll see any Hudson stuff outside PCE/TG16? They've been pretty hush about potential NES/MSX/MD/SNES/N64 releases... maybe the returns are lower since they don't own rights to the original formats?

Top Bottom