• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Saoh

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Japan is getting Link to the Past.

And we aren't.

...and we....aren't.

KEVBUG SMASH

japan is getting ALTTP, SFighter 2, fire emblem, CASTLE-****ING-VANIA!!!

we.... aren´t...

Pellham

Banned
Magicpaint said:
GBA version is pretty serviceable and cheap nowadays i.e. if you want it bad.

yes but playing Zelda 3 on the GBA is a far inferior experience to playing it on the big screen from the convenience of a virtual console.

Gigglepoo

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Japan is getting Link to the Past.

And we aren't.

...and we....aren't.

KEVBUG SMASH

I have no problem with this because we have Legend of Zelda.

But Nintendo should have a frickin' real Mario game out here. What the hell? It's Mario!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gigglepoo said:
I have no problem with this because we have Legend of Zelda.

But Nintendo should have a frickin' real Mario game out here. What the hell? It's Mario!

I don't want to play Legend of Zelda. I bought it, but I really want to play the SNES and N64 games.

I guess I will be dragging out my GC disk compilations.

Has anyone assumed that once Japan gets their systems in, NOA would get around to putting up most of the games that they're getting as well (Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, etc.)

I mean, they probably get more because they're getting the games that'll already be released HERE.

Gigglepoo

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I guess I will be dragging out my GC disk compilations.

Link to the Past isn't on them...

I just think Nintendo should have a steady influx of their big names. They should have Super Mario Bros at launch and Super Mario Bros. 2 a few weeks later. They should have LoZ at launch at Link to the Past a month later. It makes sense to space out the super huge titles like that.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Bartman3010 said:
Has anyone assumed that once Japan gets their systems in, NOA would get around to putting up most of the games that they're getting as well (Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, etc.)
It seems a logical assumption, but the titles listed on NOA's site are what's going up through the end of the year, according to them. Why would they not list important stuff like SMW and LTTP, and instead choose to list Altered Beast and Urban Champion?

They could be hoping to surprise us, I guess, but I wouldn't hedge my bets there.

SuperPac

Gigglepoo said:

I just think Nintendo should have a steady influx of their big names. They should have Super Mario Bros at launch and Super Mario Bros. 2 a few weeks later. They should have LoZ at launch at Link to the Past a month later. It makes sense to space out the super huge titles like that.

I'd rather have that steady influx at the beginning of next year when there are fewer Wii games out. I haven't even opened Trauma Center yet and I still need to go through Twilight Princess. All these games will come in time. I'd rather they space them out a bit than have one big push and no update for months.

fresquito

Gigglepoo said:

This way nobody would buy games like Solomon's Key. Anyway, It's pretty disappointing what Nintendo is doing at the moment: not bringing high profile games nor low profile games. The only thing that appeared this week was Super Star Soldier. Nothing less, nothing more. That's simply lame.

SuperPac said:
Here's a question I'll throw out -- those of you with 16:9 TVs, do you play VC stuff stretched or do you set your TV back to "normal"?
Eww, no, stretch is bad.
levious said:
16x9 tv... I definitely don't leave it stretched. Is it a pain to do it on some tvs? Mine it's just a button that toggles between aspect ratios.
Same here.
jwj442 said:
And how does the classic controller work for N64 games? I could see flicking the right stick working for Super Mario 64 - but definitely NOT Starfox or Zelda.
That is how it works, though I imagine if some game worked particularly poorly they could give it another control scheme. Using the C-stick for the C buttons is how Ocarina of Time/Master Quest/Majora's Mask worked for N64. Actually, I now recall that X/Y/Z also functioned as three of the C buttons. With the Classic Controller having an additional shoulder button, there should be a button for each of the C buttons, though they'll be spread across the controller.

Chemo

fresquito said:
This way nobody would buy games like Solomon's Key. Anyway, It's pretty disappointing what Nintendo is doing at the moment: not bringing high profile games nor low profile games. The only thing that appeared this week was Super Star Soldier. Nothing less, nothing more. That's simply lame.
Yeah, yesterday's update was basically Nintendo's version of a new Uno deck. They need to get on the ball already... they had an excuse last week because it was the day after launch, but they've had a week to get this stuff ready... 2-3 games, even if it's just stuff like 10-Yard Fight and Baseball, would have at least shown a little more effort.

Special thanks to Hudson for being wonderful, though.

RaidenZR

Chemo said:
Yeah, yesterday's update was basically Nintendo's version of a new Uno deck. They need to get on the ball already... they had an excuse last week because it was the day after launch, but they've had a week to get this stuff ready... 2-3 games, even if it's just stuff like 10-Yard Fight and Baseball, would have at least shown a little more effort.

Special thanks to Hudson for being wonderful, though.

Did you just equate Super Star Soldier to an Uno Deck? Give me a break. There's a LARGE value gap there.

RaidenZR

Chemo said:
And which side of the gap do you see each one sitting on?

I think many would agree with me in taking Super Star Soldier, thanks. For me a skin has less value than an actual game.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
two quick question.. first to dementia if he is reading right now.. are their any plans from Hudson (assuming you guys are working on the TG-16/PCE emulator) to include aspect ratio correction for 16:9 TVs?

second question for everyone. I already have a couple of wavebirds.. is the classic controller better for VC games or are the wavebirds good enough?

Chemo

RaidenZR said:
I think many would agree with me in taking Super Star Soldier, thanks. For me a skin has less value than an actual game.
Right, and I totally agree with this. However. I would like to think that everyone understood that I meant that the disappointment of ONE game popping on the VC yesterday is the Nintendo equivalent of people waiting for an XBLA game and getting an Uno deck instead.

borghe, if you can get your hands on a classic controller, go for it. There's no better way to play the 8/16-bit VC games. You may want to use the WaveBird for N64 titles though, depending on whether you prefer dominant analog controllers (GC, 360) or submissive analog controllers (Dual Shock, CC).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Linkup said:
So for the people who bought Super Star Soldier is it any good? worth $5?

definitely, assuming you like vertical shooters.

It's 600 points I think though.

Linkup

Gigglepoo said:
Is it two player? How hard is it? Are there lots of upgrades/new weapons? Can you save?

Answer the questions somebody! We already know they have the VC save state thing.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm hoping s'more VC games go up today, since we only got one yesterday (boo!)

I wants me some Ecco The Dolphin :(

MrCheez said:

When did last Tuesday's games go up? When did the original update go up? When did yesterday's game go up?

I would love to know if there is a pattern... like a TIME of the day when it gets updated.

Oh, and I WANT GUNSTAR HEROES!

Gigglepoo

About Star Soldier, Tyrian is easily my favorite vertical shooter of all time. Is the TG-16 classic on par with the all mighty Tyrian?

MrCheez

Hmm yesterday's update was definitely in the evening, whereas last Tuesday's was in the middle of the day IIRC.

RaidenZR

Chemo said:
Right, and I totally agree with this. However. I would like to think that everyone understood that I meant that the disappointment of ONE game popping on the VC yesterday is the Nintendo equivalent of people waiting for an XBLA game and getting an Uno deck instead.

borghe, if you can get your hands on a classic controller, go for it. There's no better way to play the 8/16-bit VC games. You may want to use the WaveBird for N64 titles though, depending on whether you prefer dominant analog controllers (GC, 360) or submissive analog controllers (Dual Shock, CC).

Ah, okay. I see what you're saying and in that regard, I agree. But seeing as how I don't have $20 to drop on this every single week, a single game here and there is fine by me.

Though, like everyone, I do wish there was more of that regal selection they can boast.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Tecmo Bowl! Tecmo Bowl NOW!

Or Zelda 3. Either way, what bliss.

/sitting on a boatload of points.

Gigglepoo

Nintendo should have a subscription service for the VC. $20 a month and you can play everything for as much as you want. I'd sign up and I haven't spent one shiny Wii Point yet.

MrCheez

Gigglepoo said:
Nintendo should have a subscription service for the VC. $20 a month and you can play everything for as much as you want. I'd sign up and I haven't spent one shiny Wii Point yet.

They talked about doing this originally :( They had a few different subscription 'types' planned actually. They must have just figured it wouldn't have been as profitable for them :p

Gigglepoo

Is 1up updating their VC Guide with every new release? If yes, does anyone have that link handy? I'm curious what they think about the three TG-16 games.

EDIT - I checked their launch VC guide and they have not updated it. I would like to see their thoughts on the TG-16 games (I never owned that lovely little console) and I would like to read their thoughts on all future games as well. 1up guys, get on it! :)

xBigDanx

Is there any website that gives brief summaries of these games? Kind of like what 1up did with the launch titles for the VC?

For instance, the game that showed up today or yesterday or whenever... I've never played it, but it seems like lots of people have good things to say. Anyone have a place where I can get screenshots, reviews, etc? I know I can go search for the game on google and get it but it'd be nice if there was a palce I could go every Monday, see the new games and read about them allin on location

MrCheez said:

I won't be buying Sega games on the VC cause they just released the Genesis collection that pretty much has all the great games for $20.

Pellham

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I won't be buying Sega games on the VC cause they just released the Genesis collection that pretty much has all the great games for $20.

yes but isn't it a pain to have to swap discs to load the genesis collection? the convenience factor of being able to switch to a virtual console game anytime the wii is on overrides anything on discs.

that said, i hope they bring the shining force and phantasy star games to VC soon.

Amir0x

Banned
Pellham said:
yes but isn't it a pain to have to swap discs to load the genesis collection? the convenience factor of being able to switch to a virtual console game anytime the wii is on overrides anything on discs.

that said, i hope they bring the shining force and phantasy star games to VC soon.

I don't think so man. Genesis Collection - $20

Buying every game on the Genesis Collection via Wii - $245

I can safely say any annoyance from swapping discs is prompty brushed the **** aside when there's a $225 difference :lol

Pellham

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think so man. Genesis Collection - $20

Buying every game on the Genesis Collection via Wii - $245

I can safely say any annoyance from swapping discs is prompty brushed the **** aside when there's a $225 difference :lol

You have a point there, if one actually wanted every game in the collection. :p

Gigglepoo

Amir0x said:

Don't forget it will take four years to get all those games available on the VC.

Amir0x

Banned
Pellham said:
You have a point there, if one actually wanted every game in the collection. :p

Well if I trimmed the games i would never want, it'd probably still cost $150 via Wii. :p

Gigglepoo said:
Don't forget it will take four years to get all those games available on the VC.

Well i was being nice and imagining if all the games were there next week :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I agree with ami that in no way shape or form is VC a better deal or more convenient than the Sega Collection.

That being said, I also don't think $8 for games like Gunstar, TJ&E, Sonic, etc (Note the lack of Altered Beast) is a bad price. But yeah, especially if you actively use your PS2 or PSP, Sega Collection is the way to go. VC however is the only legit way (short of buying the carts and having a Genesis hooked up) to play those other games.

fresquito

What's so good about Toe Jam? I've read the making of from edge, seen some videos on youtube, still not clicking anything inside. What am I missing (besides playing the thing)?

Deku

Banned
One of my friends paid $40 for the original Genesis Toe Jam cart from Ebay but he has no Genesis to play it on. He's pretty excited about the Wii will have it for VC. If only he could find one.

Alright guys, I need help with a 15 year old game. Any advice on how to get past the huge jump in White Land II (F-Zero)? I believe it's the last course in the Queen Circuit.

explodet

Deku said:
One of my friends paid $40 for the original Genesis Toe Jam cart from Ebay but he has no Genesis to play it on. He's pretty excited about the Wii will have it for VC. If only he could find one.
:lol

He's got a copy of TJ&E for the Genesis. That's good!
But he doesn't have a Genesis console. That's bad.
But he can play it on the Wii. That's good.
But he can't buy the Wii anywhere. That's bad.
The Wii contains potassium benzoate. ...

Deku

Banned
My point is that outside of the GAF hardcore/piracy central, lots of gamers don't have the equipment to play the games they would want, or if they do have the equipment they may not have the games or vice versa.

I've been collecting a lot of classic game hardware so VC doesn't excite me as much, except for the PC engine content, so... for me, paying $8 for a Genesis game I never played (dont' have in my collection) is a good deal, of course, as my anecdotal story shows, people are willing to pay 5 times that just to hold on to a cartridge they can't play.

Top Bottom