• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Bog

Junior Ace
Most Walmarts got shipments of Classic Controllers (plus Remotes and Nunchuks) today if anyone still needs one.

colinp

Banned
Bog said:
Most Walmarts got shipments of Classic Controllers (plus Remotes and Nunchuks) today if anyone still needs one.

Now you tell me! I stopped by Target, but not Walmart. Shit, maybe tomorrow before work. Hell, I'll call right now and see if they have any in stock.

edit: woot! Local Walmart has five or six classics in. Will stop by before work tomorrow. Didn't ask about wiimotes or nunchuks (don't want to spend the cash on those yet...). Thanks Bog!

Rlan

Were the Crazy Castle games released as someone outside of Bugs / Woody Woodpecker / Roger Rabbit in Japan or whatever? I know there was a Woody GBA game, has there been a version which doesn't include licensed characters?

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Carlisle said:
That's it? Is Star Soldier the only thing that's going up this week? WTF? Where's Gunstar?

damn straight. but im willing to be patient with this. i think
(am hoping)
that the vc will take off after christmas.

pkasho

Hero said:
I can't connect to the Wii Shop Channel. WTF?

Yeah this is happening to me too... and I can't exit or turn the machine off... it just keeps on saying "connecting, please wait..." with the blue circle loading thing.

Not sure if I should pull the plug.

pkasho said:
Yeah this is happening to me too... and I can't exit or turn the machine off... it just keeps on saying "connecting, please wait..." with the blue circle loading thing.

Not sure if I should pull the plug.
Just hold down the power button (on the console, not remote) for a few seconds. It tends to get stuck there instead of always admitting defeat at making a connection.

pkasho

JoshuaJSlone said:
Just hold down the power button (on the console, not remote) for a few seconds. It tends to get stuck there instead of always admitting defeat at making a connection.

Thanks. I tried that before but guess I didn't hold it long enough.

Hero

I had to reset my router and change the wireless channel to 11 on my Linksys router before I finally could connect to Nintendo WFC (DS or Wii).

Weird.

They need to make the Nunchaku Controller work with Super Mario 64. No waggle, just the controller itself, because I think it's actually better suited to Mario 64 (and possibly other N64 games) than either the Classic Controller or the GC Pad.

The analog + digital trigger setup is best replicated by the nunchaku attachment, while B/A on the Wiimote could be jump/punch, and the D-Pad is your camera control.

jwj442

They're probably saving the big games to fill in the gaps next year. Not sure if that's the best way to do it, but oh well.

duckroll

I dunno if this has been posted in this thread yet, but Nintendo released the VC lineup for Japan this week.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/virtual_console_lineup.html

Basically it has everything up to the end of Dec.

Famicom (all 500 points each)
Donkey Kong (Dec 2nd)
Donkey Kong Jr (Dec 2nd)
Renjyu (Dec 2nd)
Baseball (Dec 2nd)
Tennis (Dec 2nd)
Pinball (Dec 2nd)
Urban Champion (Dec 2nd)
Soccer (Dec 2nd)
Super Mario Bros (Dec 2nd)
Ice Hockey (Dec 2nd)
Legend of Zelda (Dec 2nd)
Xevious (Dec 2nd)
Key of Solomon (Dec 2nd)
Gradius (Dec 2nd)
Mario Brothers (Dec 12th)
Wario's Forest (Dec 12th)
Legend of Kage (Dec 19th)
Shinobi Jyajyamaru-kun (Dec 26th)

Super Famicom
Super Mario World (Dec 2nd, 800)
F-Zero (Dec 2nd, 800)
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (Dec 2nd, 900)
Super Castlevania (Dec 2nd, 800)
Street Fighter 2 (Dec 2nd, 800)
Super Donkey Kong (Dec 12th, 800)
Mario's Super Picross (Dec 19th, 800)
Super Contra (Dec 19th, 800)
Sim City (Dec 26th, 900)
Fire Emblem Crest of Mystery (Dec 26th, 900)
R-Type III (Dec 26th, 800)

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64 (Dec 2nd, 1000)

Mega Drive (all 600 points each, all on Dec 2nd)
Ecco the Dolphin
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe
Columns
Shadow Dancer
Altered Beast
Space Harrier II
Sonic the Hedgehog
Toe Jam and Earl
Puyo Puyo
Ristar the Shooting Star

PC Engine (all 600 points each)
Bonk (Dec 2nd)
Super Star Soldier (Dec 2nd)
Dungeon Explorer (Dec 2nd)
Victory Run (Dec 2nd)
Bomberman 94 (Dec 2nd)
Adventure Island (Dec 2nd)
Necromancer (Dec 2nd)
R-Type I (Dec 13th)
Nectaris (Dec 20th)

Ashodin

duckroll said:
I dunno if this has been posted in this thread yet, but Nintendo released the VC lineup for Japan this week.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/features/virtual_console_lineup.html

Basically it has everything up to the end of Dec.

Famicom (all 500 points each)
Donkey Kong (Dec 2nd)
Donkey Kong Jr (Dec 2nd)
Renjyu (Dec 2nd)
Baseball (Dec 2nd)
Tennis (Dec 2nd)
Pinball (Dec 2nd)
Urban Champion (Dec 2nd)
Soccer (Dec 2nd)
Super Mario Bros (Dec 2nd)
Ice Hockey (Dec 2nd)
Legend of Zelda (Dec 2nd)
Xevious (Dec 2nd)
Key of Solomon (Dec 2nd)
Gradius (Dec 2nd)
Mario Brothers (Dec 12th)
Wario's Forest (Dec 12th)
Legend of Kage (Dec 19th)

Super Famicom
Super Mario World (Dec 2nd, 800)
F-Zero (Dec 2nd, 800)
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (Dec 2nd, 900)
Super Castlevania (Dec 2nd, 800)
Street Fighter 2 (Dec 2nd, 800)
Super Donkey Kong (Dec 12th, 800)
Mario's Super Picross (Dec 19th, 800)
Super Contra (Dec 19th, 800)
Sim City (Dec 26th, 900)
Fire Emblem Crest of Mystery (Dec 26th, 900)
R-Type III (Dec 26th, 800)

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64 (Dec 2nd, 1000)

Mega Drive (all 600 points each, all on Dec 2nd)
Ecco the Dolphin
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe
Columns
Shadow Dancer
Altered Beast
Space Harrier II
Sonic the Hedgehog
Toe Jam and Earl
Puyo Puyo
Ristar the Shooting Star

PC Engine (all 600 points each)
Bonk (Dec 2nd)
Super Star Soldier (Dec 2nd)
Dungeon Explorer (Dec 2nd)
Victory Run (Dec 2nd)
Bomberman 94 (Dec 2nd)
Adventure Island (Dec 2nd)
Necromancer (Dec 2nd)
R-Type I (Dec 13th)
Nectaris (Dec 20th)
Applicable for the US? Most likely not. **** YOU NINTENDO

Maxrpg said:
Applicable for the US? Most likely not. **** YOU NINTENDO

Apparently NOA has it in their dear little heads that if they delay worthwhile titles longer, more people will download Mario Bros. (Note the lack of "Super").

I have a linksys router and can't connect to my Wii. I'm sure I have the security settings right... How do you find your MTU value and does it really affect if you can connect or not???

Any advice on connecting the Wii w/ wireless connection? Also, how is a wired connection possible on the wii?

Sega

ChrisJames said:
I have a linksys router and can't connect to my Wii. I'm sure I have the security settings right... How do you find your MTU value and does it really affect if you can connect or not???

Any advice on connecting the Wii w/ wireless connection? Also, how is a wired connection possible on the wii?
I have a linksys router too. I set the MTU to 1500. That didn't work. But when I put in my primary and secondary DNS manually, it worked PERFECTLY.

Don't forget that Nintendo says people should use either channel 1 or 11.

ethelred

Sega said:
I have a linksys router too. I set the MTU to 1500. That didn't work. But when I put in my primary and secondary DNS manually, it worked PERFECTLY.

Don't forget that Nintendo says people should use either channel 1 or 11.

Grandmothers are going to love this setup.

SO PICK UP AND PLAY!

Dragona Akehi said:
Apparently NOA has it in their dear little heads that if they delay worthwhile titles longer, more people will download Mario Bros. (Note the lack of "Super").

NOA is the worst company ever. I thought we all learned this from the Mother 3 debacle? :/

Aeana

duckroll said:

This should really come to the NA VC. I remember reading in some magazine years ago that it was nearly released in North America, but it wasn't at the last minute. It's too bad, because it's an awesome game.

soundwave05 said:
They need to make the Nunchaku Controller work with Super Mario 64. No waggle, just the controller itself, because I think it's actually better suited to Mario 64 (and possibly other N64 games) than either the Classic Controller or the GC Pad.

The analog + digital trigger setup is best replicated by the nunchaku attachment, while B/A on the Wiimote could be jump/punch, and the D-Pad is your camera control.
Agreed. The only SM64 control that would really be moved out of place would be R, which could become C on the nunchuk. Not like that was used much anyway.

Kevtones said:
is the Super Mario 64 the 150 stars version or the original???
It's the original N64 version emulated.

Dragona Akehi said:
Well, they're right. I know I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't want a quickie launch night test of using the wiimote as an NES controller and something multiplayer.

ChrisJames said:
Also, how is a wired connection possible on the wii?
USB adapter that won't be released for another month or so.

ethelred said:
Grandmothers are going to love this setup.

SO PICK UP AND PLAY!
If they're grandmothers with wireless routers and wanting to purchase Super Star Soldier, though, they're probably already posting here.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
If they're grandmothers with wireless routers and wanting to purchase Super Star Soldier, though, they're probably already posting here.

Don't mind me. I'm just bitter on this topic because I had a hard time getting online and because I want to buy games that Nintendo refuses to sell me. :lol

SuperPac

Here's a question I'll throw out -- those of you with 16:9 TVs, do you play VC stuff stretched or do you set your TV back to "normal"?

I initially toggled back to "normal" but recently I've just been leaving the games stretched. Doesn't seem to bother me too much. Bonk and Donkey Kong seem to both hold up pretty well stretched...

cvxfreak

****, Japan's VC offerings are awesome. Why the hell doesn't the US have any of the 2D Marios yet?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. The Virtual Console store just scared the hell out of me. It was making that circular connecting sound and then all of a sudden out of nowhere the music blasts and begins playing. :lol :lol

jwj442

How's Bonk's Adventure? Never played it. What does it have that sets it apart from your basic dime-a-dozen 16-bit platformer?

I would download Donkey Kong, but the graphics look like ass on that port (yeah, it's an NES game, but the coloring is gross). As I said before, Nintendo really needs at least one 2D Mario platformer up. There are lots of people who generally don't play games that love Mario, and hearing that "you can download old Mario games" would likely pique their interest in the system.

jwj442

How's Bonk's Adventure? Never played it. What does it have that sets it apart from your basic dime-a-dozen 16-bit platformer?

I would download Donkey Kong, but the graphics look like ass on that port (yeah, it's an NES game, but the coloring is gross). As I said before, Nintendo really needs at least one 2D Mario platformer up. There are lots of people who generally don't play games that love Mario, and hearing that "you can download old Mario games" would likely pique their interest in the system.

And how does the classic controller work for N64 games? I could see flicking the right stick working for Super Mario 64 - but definitely NOT Starfox or Zelda.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
JoshuaJSlone said:

don't tell Forza about the grandmothers

16x9 tv... I definitely don't leave it stretched. Is it a pain to do it on some tvs? Mine it's just a button that toggles between aspect ratios.

SuperPac said:
Here's a question I'll throw out -- those of you with 16:9 TVs, do you play VC stuff stretched or do you set your TV back to "normal"?

I initially toggled back to "normal" but recently I've just been leaving the games stretched. Doesn't seem to bother me too much. Bonk and Donkey Kong seem to both hold up pretty well stretched...
I leave mine stretched. I don't really feel it detracts from the experience.

gkryhewy

SuperPac said:

I only have Bonk so far, but I leave it stretched. I wish it stretched to fill the whole screen - I get thin vertical black bars at the sides. Composite cable for now, FWIW.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jwj442 said:
I wonder if they have any plans to actually make use of the ability to get updates for VC games.

i'd imagine it's there in case they're dumb enough to release a game that is discovered by users to have a game-breaking bug, in which case they can release an update and fix that shit.

Pellham

Banned
wait WTF, walmart had classic controllers in stock YESTERDAY? Why didn't anyone say it sooner, or in its own thread? ugh!

Bloodwake

I'm definitely impressed with the Wii, and Zelda is definitely Game of the Year, but I can't help feeling screwed over after I see the list of games available for VC by year's end in Japan. One of the only games that I want for VC is Link to the Past, and NOA is making me wait for it.

I guess I will download Bonk and shut up, but the VC American list in comparison to the Japanese list is the only thing I am truly disappointed with about the Wii.

Razoric

Banned
why does the us selection suck compared to Japan? is it just NOA's decision or are there some old publishing deals / contracts that are getting in the way?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't know if this has been asked, but will Tetris Attack require a name change when (if?....no, WHEN) it's released? I assume with Nintendo not having the Tetris license and the game bearing no real resemblance to that title anyway, they won't want to have to pay for it.

I hope that doesn't stop the game coming out, though it'd probably delay it a bit even if they do just change the name, as they remove all references to Tetris and create a new title screen etc.

Pellham

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I don't know if this has been asked, but will Tetris Attack require a name change when (if?....no, WHEN) it's released? I assume with Nintendo not having the Tetris license and the game bearing no real resemblance to that title anyway, they won't want to have to pay for it.

I hope that doesn't stop the game coming out, though it'd probably delay it a bit even if they do just change the name, as they remove all references to Tetris and create a new title screen etc.

Either they'll be able to just release it as is, or they won't release it out here at all. :(

Mama Smurf said:

Maybe they'll release Pokemon Puzzle League instead.

Bloodwake said:
I'm definitely impressed with the Wii, and Zelda is definitely Game of the Year, but I can't help feeling screwed over after I see the list of games available for VC by year's end in Japan. One of the only games that I want for VC is Link to the Past, and NOA is making me wait for it.

I guess I will download Bonk and shut up, but the VC American list in comparison to the Japanese list is the only thing I am truly disappointed with about the Wii.

Hopefully it'll get better. I just want some Castlevania IV. You know how much I like that shit.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Zerodoppler said:
Maybe they'll release Pokemon Puzzle League instead.

I'd be quite happy to get PPL (which will inevitably turn up sooner or later), I haven't played it but I understand it's a good (though not perfect) version of the game. I just want Tetris Attack too, I have fond memories of that game.

What about other Panel de Pon games, have any good (as in TA or better) versions of those turned up on any of the VC systems?

Top Bottom