• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Kobun Heat said:
I feel like I've been beating this point to death, so I'm just glad somebody else is willing to go to bat for long tail.
My friend read this over the weekend. I'm going to swipe it from him when he comes over for an Excite Truck marathon.

Unison

Kobun Heat said:
Not at all. If they opened it up to as much content as possible right off the bat, that would be even more appealing to third parties, as they wouldn't have to make the case for why one of their titles should be slotted into that miniscule little ten-games-a-month allotment.

Also, what third parties aren't on board yet? They showed a pretty extensive list of content partners for Japan.

So you think Nintendo is currently barring companies like Konami from releasing stuff like Contra and Castlevania in the USA so they can release NES Soccer? I don't.

I bet the 3rd parties want to wait until the userbase is bigger before they release their stuff... just like Nintendo.

If they release all of the possible Virtual Console titles today, VC just becomes a static bullet point on the Wii's feature list. By having the roster always updated, they give the impression that there's always something new being added, even if the eking out of games is artificially slow. This gives people incentive to check the store out every week or every month.

There are always new cds and books coming out, so itunes and Amazon will always have a reason to attract people back to their site. Nintendo has a large but finite library of games to release over the Wii's life. They pretty much HAVE to have a slower release pattern if they want to still be able to add stuff 5 years from now.

Mashing

Umm, aren't you only supposed to be taxed if that company has a warehouse in your home state? That seems to be the reason why I don't get taxed when I order online at EBGames.com.

Armitage

It's okay guys, I'll talk to him.

*pulls Nintendo aside*

See, here's your problem. You think you can direct attention by only having a tiny amount of games. I've got a better solution.

Every day, you send a message via the message board about a discount of a particular VC game. For 24 hours (or whatever) you get a discount on that game. Attention's focused, we get a big library, everyone's happy.

I bought a Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle, classic controller, and 2000 points card because I thought I was going to be able to play Gunstar Heroes.

$80 later, feel my pain...

:(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I still don't agree with the counter side to the argument, but I don't have time to drum up reasons right now.. I will though.

as far as tax, it's just like the component cables. if you live in a state that has a nintendo presence (service center, sales center, hq, etc) you will get charged tax on points. however it does fall under "use tax", so it might be applied differently in some states than others.

Armitage said:
It's okay guys, I'll talk to him.

*pulls Nintendo aside*

See, here's your problem. You think you can direct attention by only having a tiny amount of games. I've got a better solution.

Every day, you send a message via the message board about a discount of a particular VC game. For 24 hours (or whatever) you get a discount on that game. Attention's focused, we get a big library, everyone's happy.

you know what, that's actually not a bad idea:lol

Gigglepoo

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I bought a Nintendo Wi-Fi dongle, classic controller, and 2000 points card because I thought I was going to be able to play Gunstar Heroes.

Three things:

First, you could have checked the release schedule before you spent all the money. Second, you could have bought a Genesis, two controllers and Gunstar Heroes for much cheaper than $80. Third, it will come out eventually. Just play some Solomon's Key while you wait.

Oh, and Toejam and Earl! Isn't that up on the VC as well? Man, I love that game.

Unison

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

There is still time to make it right and get a 2nd controller before Gunstar arrives.

It's one of the best co-op games ever.

:D

maynerd

Banned
Nintendo should give out points with each Wii game purchase. Give out like 300 points per game. It would give people incentive to buy Wii games...give people incentive to check out the VC stuff...and because it's less points than any game it may get them to buy more points. WIN WIN WIN!

maynerd said:
Nintendo should give out points with each Wii game purchase. Give out like 300 points per game. It would give people incentive to buy Wii games...give people incentive to check out the VC stuff...and because it's less points than any game it may get them to buy more points. WIN WIN WIN!

300 points is a lot. That is 3 dollars back from a game, which would make a lot of games 2-3 dollars. That would involve Nintendo losing money, which isn't going to happen.
Though, maybe some days they can have a % off VC purchases to make things cheaper. I don't see that happening either though.

Unison said:
So you think Nintendo is currently barring companies like Konami from releasing stuff like Contra and Castlevania in the USA so they can release NES Soccer? I don't.
You're wrong.

Nintendo has a large but finite library of games to release over the Wii's life. They pretty much HAVE to have a slower release pattern if they want to still be able to add stuff 5 years from now.
I disagree. Well, not on the point that by definition there won't be any more classic games. That's self-evident. But Nintendo isn't limited to their own library. Who's to say they couldn't go further back and add Atari's games? Intellivision? Activision? SG-1000? 32X? There's lots of content. To say nothing of original games.

I'm not saying that they need to go whole-hog or nothing. There are several intermediate steps they could take in the meantime; one of which is to get America up to speed with Japan. Look at what they're starting with. That's significantly better.

Catalog dump or no, ten games a month is just fuckin' screwy.

Unison said:
I bet the 3rd parties want to wait until the userbase is bigger before they release their stuff... just like Nintendo.

As mentioned before, why not have a big catalog to attract a larger userbase? This argument makes sense for actual retail games that require a ton of effort going into them, but the idea of Capcom being hesitant about putting Mega Man 2 up because of a small userbase seems kinda strange. Especially if the basic NES emulation technology is already working pretty well.

Unison said:
If they release all of the possible Virtual Console titles today, VC just becomes a static bullet point on the Wii's feature list. By having the roster always updated, they give the impression that there's always something new being added, even if the eking out of games is artificially slow. This gives people incentive to check the store out every week or every month.

Yeah, but having hundreds/thousands of games available for anyone who owns a Wii at any time is one hell of a bullet point :lol

And in that situation, I wouldn't have to check the store every week or every month...this would give me incentive to check every day and always have something new to play (these are 8-16 bit games, so it's not like they require a huge amount of playtime, with the exception of rpgs, zelda, stuff like that).

Unison said:
There are always new cds and books coming out, so itunes and Amazon will always have a reason to attract people back to their site. Nintendo has a large but finite library of games to release over the Wii's life. They pretty much HAVE to have a slower release pattern if they want to still be able to add stuff 5 years from now.

the "new cds and books" for VC should be indie games and/or downloadable content, which I thought Nintendo originally planned for. So generally

new cd's and books = indie games, downloadable content, old games with new additions to them, "Virtual Console spotlight" game discounts or something

old cd's and books = all the old games that are unchanged, and just need the basic emulator working.

maynerd

Banned
Netrunner2k2 said:
300 points is a lot. That is 3 dollars back from a game, which would make a lot of games 2-3 dollars. That would involve Nintendo losing money, which isn't going to happen.
Though, maybe some days they can have a % off VC purchases to make things cheaper. I don't see that happening either though.

You think Nintendo would lose money? I bet they would make money even if each VC title was $1.

Armitage

Netrunner2k2 said:

Even 50-100 points would be great for sales. Some people can't stand to have unused currency/points, so they'll use it as part of a 800-point purchase. And VC sales have pretty much no costs involved, so a discount isn't a big deal.

Gigglepoo

Kobun Heat said:
Catalog dump or no, ten games a month is just fuckin' screwy.

Oh, I definetely agree with this. Ten games a week seems much more reasonable. I don't think every game should be available at once, but, with hundreds of games to choose from, I expect more titles per month than just 10.

And make Super Mario Kart online!

maynerd said:
You think Nintendo would lose money? I bet they would make money even if each VC title was $1.

I don't mean losing money as in paying some money instead of making profit. What I meant was Nintendo making 4 dollars instead of 2, or whatever it is. I have no idea how much it costs them to keep those servers up as well as paying companies like Hudson, Tecmo, and the like to put their games on the VC service. Of course, I don't know if Nintendo pays on a per game sold or a per game basis.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Nintendo PAYS companies to put games up on their VC service, eh?

Methinks you have things backwards ;)

Unison said:
If Nintendo sticks to the 10/month policy then they'll be barring someone, since that amounts to only 600 titles over the next 5 years, which is a tiny fraction of the games released over 5 consoles and 15 years.

They could release 10 games per week and still never get every game on the VC. Yeah, some of those games may be trash, but I'm having a hard time thinking of worse games than Pinball and Urban Champion. Hell, if I was a "casual/non-gamer" and bought Urban Champion first, I'd probably write off the entire VC because $5 for that stinker is a god damn travesty.

Plus, I thought there was supposed to be original content on VC. It certainly got brought up by nintendo fans every time the limited appeal of VC was mentioned.

Gigglepoo

Netrunner2k2 said:
I have no idea how much it costs them to keep those servers up as well as paying companies like Hudson, Tecmo, and the like to put their games on the VC service. Of course, I don't know if Nintendo pays on a per game sold or a per game basis.

Wait, Nintendo pays them? I don't think so. Wouldn't Konami have to pay Nintendo for the right to have their game on the VC? Wouldn't Konami want to make more money from Contra, 20 years after it came out? Nintendo is paying for the server to host it, but I'm sure they are getting licensing fees from third parties anyway.

Armitage said:
Even 50-100 points would be great for sales. Some people can't stand to have unused currency/points, so they'll use it as part of a 800-point purchase. And VC sales have pretty much no costs involved, so a discount isn't a big deal.

Yeah, something less, but not taking 50%+ off of of some games.

I know what you mean by unused points. I have 140 Live points right now that annoy me. I REALLY wish they and Nintendo(since I think Sony is going by straight dollar, no points) would let you just buy the difference and standard packs of points.

Unison

Don't get me wrong... I definitely think there's huge room for improvement among the current Virtual Console lineup, but at the same time I see the logic behind what Nintendo is doing. VC game purchases are probably impulse buys for the average Wii user. The longer Nintendo can keep people checking the VC storefront, the better the more impulse purchases they can generate.

To be honest, I don't expect new / indie games to be a large part of VC sales... it could happen, I guess, but it just doesn't seem like Nintendo to spend money making new content when they could make more by just recycling old content.

I am not happy about Nintendo's VC release plans (though the price is a much bigger issue to me than the release dates), but I think they are making more money this way in the long run than if they offered every possible game on day 1.

GDJustin said:
Nintendo PAYS companies to put games up on their VC service, eh?

Methinks you have things backwards ;)

heh, if I had some old games lying around that I'm not doing anything with, I'd probably want to put them up on the VC as soon as possible. Little effort for easy money.

At this point in time, my own personal Genesis library is bigger than what Sega offers on the VC, maybe I should rent out my cartridges :lol

Netrunner2k2 said:
Yeah, something less, but not taking 50%+ off of of some games.

I know what you mean by unused points. I have 140 Live points right now that annoy me. I REALLY wish they and Nintendo(since I think Sony is going by straight dollar, no points) would let you just buy the difference and standard packs of points.

this'll sound weird, but I actually recommend using those "leftover" points at the zune marketplace. You can sign into there with your existing gamertag/passport and use the same points there. Personally, I can get more use out of an 80 point song I like, compared to an 80 point picture pack or whatever. And even though the songs technically have DRM like on iTunes, at the very least, you can stream them to your 360 since it is Microsoft behind it.

Unison

Of All Trades said:
If Nintendo sticks to the 10/month policy then they'll be barring someone, since that amounts to only 600 titles over the next 5 years, which is a tiny fraction of the games released over 5 consoles and 15 years.

I don't expect 10/month to last more than a year.... I definitely expect game releases to start coming more quickly once the userbase is bigger and the VC back catalog is bigger

They could release 10 games per week and still never get every game on the VC. Yeah, some of those games may be trash, but I'm having a hard time thinking of worse games than Pinball and Urban Champion. Hell, if I was a "casual/non-gamer" and bought Urban Champion first, I'd probably write off the entire VC because $5 for that stinker is a god damn travesty.

Plus, I thought there was supposed to be original content on VC. It certainly got brought up by nintendo fans every time the limited appeal of VC was mentioned.

Yeah, there's definitely a big problem with the games that they're picking now. I guess it's tough to get people to buy Urban Champion if you offer them something like Street Fighter 2, but that doesn't exactly make me want to get Urban Champion anyhow.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I live in Oregon and have no tax for online points.....oh wait I don't have sales tax on anything :D

soul creator said:
this'll sound weird, but I actually recommend using those "leftover" points at the zune marketplace. You can sign into there with your existing gamertag/passport and use the same points there. Personally, I can get more use out of an 80 point song I like, compared to an 80 point picture pack or whatever. And even though the songs technically have DRM like on iTunes, at the very least, you can stream them to your 360 since it is Microsoft behind it.

Awesome, I didn't know about that. Thanks, man.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I can't connect to the wii store. When I perform a connection test in the system menu it works no problem, but it hangs up on the "connecting" screen forever in the store now :(

And it's doubly annoying because I have to hard reset the the system to get out.

aeolist

Banned
If you live in Texas and buy stuff online you have to pay sales tax sometimes. Wii points are one of those times. I'm sure they'd charge tax in stores too.

I don't really mind that they're not blowing their load all at once on the VC. It's one of the features I bought my Wii for but certainly not the most important one, so it's a minor annoyance at worst. I wasn't planning on buying a ****ton of games anyway.

Gigglepoo said:
Three things:

First, you could have checked the release schedule before you spent all the money. Second, you could have bought a Genesis, two controllers and Gunstar Heroes for much cheaper than $80. Third, it will come out eventually. Just play some Solomon's Key while you wait.

Oh, and Toejam and Earl! Isn't that up on the VC as well? Man, I love that game.
There isn't a release schedule. I don't think we knew what games were coming at launch until it launched, no?

threeball

Banned
soul creator said:
" MC-NINTENDO WII POINTS 800-255-3700 -$10.83"

*shakes fist*

also, the reason I mentioned the County earlier is because I noticed this is actually the normal 8.25% sales tax I normally pay for things here (cedar hill, near dallas, tx.). Arlington, about 20 minutes away in a different county, has a 7.25% tax.

So does that mean the county is actually getting money for online purchases? wha?

did you go to cedar hill high school? their football team is kicking ass right now

I still don't get why it has to be just VC mondays. Why not spread out the two or three games to different days of the week and get people to check out the store more often. Who knows, people might actually pick up an extra game or two that way.

SuperPac

Zerodoppler said:
I still don't get why it has to be just VC mondays. Why not spread out the two or three games to different days of the week and get people to check out the store more often. Who knows, people might actually pick up an extra game or two that way.

Until Nintendo has an RSS feed up alerting people of something new on the Wii Shopping Channel, I'd rather they stick to the Monday thing. Because I am not into clicking on the Shopping Channel every day of the week just to see if anything's new. EFF THAT.

Mar

All this talk of VC is making me more and more excited for when I get my Wii. Im loving the compilations on PS2, PSP, DS etc. When I can download a huge amount of old games and play them on my giant TV, Im going to have a retrogasm.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I forget, did Nintendo say they are or are not allowing indie games for old systems on the VC? Could we potentially see new NES or SNES games at some point?

threeball said:
did you go to cedar hill high school? their football team is kicking ass right now

nah. I grew up in Oak Cliff, so I'm used to Carter and Kimball kicking ass most of the time :lol

Don't keep up with HS football anymore though

Karki

threeball said:

Ridiculous off topic but aren't the Southlake Carroll Dragons kicking the most ass at the moment?

Kobun Heat said:
This will not happen.
Sure there will be indie games. They won't be NES or SNES, but instead be Wii games that pattern their graphics to be similar to 8 or 16 bit games. Think Four Swords for the GC or Castle Crashers that's in beta for XBLA.

Top Bottom