• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

borghe said:
simple really. by offering "every" game for download all at once, it is very overwhelming, especially for NES games which are already underwhelming by default because of graphics and sound. by releasing just a few titles every week, it allows them to give greater focus to individual titles, and allows consumers to read through the info on just 3-4 titles, vs. 40 titles.

this is not "emulation" and all that goes with it (dvd collection of every rom ftl). This is actually selling, and by extension marketing, actual games. you don't do that by releasing them in batches of 30-50.

is the itunes music store "overwhelming" because it offers a bunch of songs right off the bat (or lets say, zune marketplace, since it's new)? It's nice being able to browse a music store and just picking from pretty much anything that's been released (barring contract negotiation issues which shouldn't apply to Nintendo/Sega since it's mostly their own games). A different perspective is that it can please almost every customer right off the bat instead of having to wait for something you're looking for to hopefully maybe possibly show up within the next couple years. If Baseball for NES loses out on sales because it's part of the 30-50 games, I'm not gonna lose sleep, lol.

CoolS

Question: I thought VC will be updated every month, not every week?
And to all the people waiting for S&P: i guess it will take a while for it to come out on the VC, if at all in the US and EU.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
soul creator said:
is the itunes music store "overwhelming" because it offers a bunch of songs right off the bat (or lets say, zune marketplace, since it's new)?
you do see the difference between video game releases and music releases, right? comparing the two is just asinine. compare it instead to movie releases. how many movies does Disney release a week to iTunes? How many a week will Warner release to XBL every week?

You can release 40 albums a week because they are divided up amongst genres. typically R&B consumers won't care what alternative albums are out, etc. So while their might be 40 albums coming out in a week, each consumer is probably only going to care about 10 of them. Gaming is much more homogeneous. Zelda is fighting with Sonic's and Bomberman's audience.

Karki

deamentia said:
I'll be announcing this week's Turbo Grafx release in a couple of hours... unless you guys already know what it is.

Oh good. We're getting new games today for sure. Thanks!

soul creator said:
is the itunes music store "overwhelming" because it offers a bunch of songs right off the bat

Different situation. iTunes is replacing an existing purchase model for something people buy all the time, instead of trying to sell people on buying (and selling) content that previously hasn't been legally available in a systemic way.

If Baseball for NES loses out on sales because it's part of the 30-50 games, I'm not gonna lose sleep, lol.

Will you lose sleep if fewer third parties participate in the VC?

I like the fact that they are only releasing a few at a time.

It draws more attention to each individual game if there's less to choose from. It's fun hearing about people rediscovering these games, especially some of the lesser-known classics like 'Bonk's Adventure' or 'Ristar'.

Makes me happy :)

Jado

Banned
fresquito said:
They better have Mischief Makers soon >: |

QFT. needed to try this game out since it was one of my favorite N64 games back in 1998. Besides a keyboard being horrible for N64 games, Mischief Makers apparently runs like shit on just about any computer and emulator. It needs to come out on the VC. :(

The VC needs Banjo Kazooie as well, which is in many ways superior to Mario 64, a game I've played too many times anyway on N64 and have on hand for DS.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
threeball said:
BULLSHIT HOW EARTHBOUND HASNT BEEN MENTIONED YET BY NINTENDO FOR VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Nintendo likes to twist the knife when it comes to the Earthbound franchise.

Ashodin

Jado said:
QFT. needed to try this game out since it was one of my favorite N64 games back in 1998. Besides a keyboard being horrible for N64 games, Mischief Makers apparently runs like shit on just about any computer and emulator. It needs to come out on the VC. :(

The VC needs Banjo Kazooie as well, which is in many ways superior to Mario 64, a game I've played too many times anyway on N64 and have on hand for DS.
Mischief Makers was some wacky shit back in the day. I had this irrational hate for it ebcause the protaganist was a girl. :lol :lol

borghe said:
you do see the difference between video game releases and music releases, right? comparing the two is just asinine. compare it instead to movie releases. how many movies does Disney release a week to iTunes? How many a week will Warner release to XBL every week?

You can release 40 albums a week because they are divided up amongst genres. typically R&B consumers won't care what alternative albums are out, etc. So while their might be 40 albums coming out in a week, each consumer is probably only going to care about 10 of them. Gaming is much more homogeneous. Zelda is fighting with Sonic's and Bomberman's audience.

In your movie example, I disagree with those also :lol Throw them all up there and let me decide what I want to watch at a given time. For newly released movies, sure, plan the marketing however you see fit. But for older releases that have already had their time to shine, let me pick and choose whatever I want. Which I guess is why I use netflix instead of buying downloadable movies.

and I guess where we'll have to agree to disagree is that you view VC as if they were actually "new" games being released, while I don't. If I had a huge urge to play streets of rage right this moment, I'm not likely to sit and wait and hope that it'll possibly release within the next year on VC. I'll just go buy a classic compilation for another system, or get it off ebay. But if it was available now on the VC, I'd be more likely to buy it now.

Sorta reminds me how I was looking for some older De La Soul albums one day on itunes, and it wasn't available. I probably would've bought it then. But instead of waiting around hoping that Apple would add that album sometime in the future, I just ordered the CD from somewhere else.

But maybe some people are actually more likely to buy Baseball for NES for $5 because it's part of a "limited" release schedule, and wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I guess I'm not one of those people, *shrug*

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Why don't we have Super Mario RPG yet?

I mean, c'mon! The last game released for SNES shoulda been the first one downloadable :(

Gigglepoo

John Harker said:
Why don't we have Super Mario RPG yet?

I mean, c'mon! The last game released for SNES shoulda been the first one downloadable :(

Who the heck is going to download Mario RPG the week Zelda: TP comes out? Crazy people, that's who. Just be patient. I'm sure every big name NES, SNES and N64 game will come out.

And to the guy who wants Banjo... ain't gonna happen.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gigglepoo said:
Who the heck is going to download Mario RPG the week Zelda: TP comes out? Crazy people, that's who. Just be patient. I'm sure every big name NES, SNES and N64 game will come out.

And to the guy who wants Banjo... ain't gonna happen.

What do the two have to do with eachother?
One's an old school (literally) RPG with Mario and jumping, the other is a newly revisioned action adventure game with Zelda and swords.

Obviously, the same exact thing.

fresquito

John Harker said:
What do the two have to do with eachother?
One's an old school (literally) RPG with Mario and jumping, the other is a newly revisioned action adventure game with Zelda and swords.

Obviously, the same exact thing.
Lenghthy adventures that don' mix well for a release schedule.

Gigglepoo

fresquito said:

Thank you. I would have been much more vulgar.

As long as Nintendo sticks to a steady release of VC titles I don't see any reason to complain. Everything relevent will be released eventually. Just be patient.

I'll wait as long as I have to for Super Mario Kart as long as it's online.

soul creator said:
But maybe some people are actually more likely to buy Baseball for NES for $5 because it's part of a "limited" release schedule, and wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

You understand how release schedules affect game sales, right? How coming out in November/December (or the same week as a AAA title in the same genre) hurts the sales of less popular games because people buy something big-name first and never get around to going back to buy the B-list stuff? VC is the same deal. Rolling them out slowly gives every game a chance to be in the spotlight (and therefore receive a push of new sales). Over time every game will make it out there and when someone logs on in 2010 they'll probably be able to pick out whatever SNES game they want to play, but the difference is this way every game will get its chance in the sun.

It's not, like, the utopia perfect-world situation for you as a gamer, but then neither is having to pay for games in the first place. It's the same situation on XBLA, where MS isn't putting out tons of retro titles every week because it'd hurt the sales of original titles.

fresquito

charlequin said:
You understand how release schedules affect game sales, right? How coming out in November/December (or the same week as a AAA title in the same genre) hurts the sales of less popular games because people buy something big-name first and never get around to going back to buy the B-list stuff? VC is the same deal. Rolling them out slowly gives every game a chance to be in the spotlight (and therefore receive a push of new sales). Over time every game will make it out there and when someone logs on in 2010 they'll probably be able to pick out whatever SNES game they want to play, but the difference is this way every game will get its chance in the sun.

It's not, like, the utopia perfect-world situation for you as a gamer, but then neither is having to pay for games in the first place. It's the same situation on XBLA, where MS isn't putting out tons of retro titles every week because it'd hurt the sales of original titles.
I think everybody understand this. However some people like playing the fool in the internet. I wouldn't spend much time explaining the obvious for them, as they don't care, they only want to bitch and moan.

fresquito said:

Well, the main reason I disagreed is because "shelf-life" theoretically shouldn't apply to downloadable old games. In retail, sure, I can understand the concept of managing releases correctly so that you don't get drowned out, or even in XBLA's case where you have new indie games needing some shine, or old games with new additions to them.

But as I said before, I don't view VC games as "competing" with retail games, or even as "new releases", so that's where we're all gonna disagree I guess. If Super Mario RPG "released" the same time as Zelda, and I played Zelda first, I can always go back and buy Super Mario RPG whenever I want. It's not as if it's gonna be hard to find like an actual cartridge once I'm done with Zelda.

I guess I've always saw the VC as more of a "hey, I'm bored, let me browse the VC store...hey I remember playing that, I'll download it!" as an impulse purchase rather than "I can't wait for Super Mario RPG to be released on April 7th, 2007. Looking forward to it!"

And even if one threw all the games up at one time, that doesn't necessarily stop them from doing a "VC games of the week! Check these out" type of thing, so you could still give games shine in that way, while still pleasing the gamer who already knows exactly what they want :lol

fresquito

soul creator said:
Well, the main reason I disagreed is because "shelf-life" theoretically shouldn't apply to downloadable old games. In retail, sure, I can understand the concept of managing releases correctly so that you don't get drowned out, or even in XBLA's case where you have new indie games needing some shine, or old games with new additions to them.

But as I said before, I don't view VC games as "competing" with retail games, or even as "new releases", so that's where we're all gonna disagree I guess. If Super Mario RPG "released" the same time as Zelda, and I played Zelda first, I can always go back and buy Super Mario RPG whenever I want. It's not as if it's gonna be hard to find like an actual cartridge once I'm done with Zelda.
You need to realise that for the big majority of people having a Wii, Mario RPG is a new game. Games like that will probably be released in drought times.

jwj442

Nintendo needs to get Super Mario Bros. up sometime soon. Many people who generally don't play games love the Mario sidescrollers - just hearing that you can play the old Marios on it would pique their interest.

I'd also like Majora's Mask, since my cartridge is glithced and crashes a lot...

Axord

I want some Blaster Master.

Chemo said:
Well, they won't be using many Rare games
I wonder if Nintendo and MS might strike a deal whereby the games could appear on both VC and Live Arcade.

How is Nintendo handling the ratings problem? If anyone can buy a points card, then anyone can buy Splatterhouse unless there's some kind of age check in the store.

Actually, ratings might be a reason why Nintendo can only release so many games at a time. The ESRB only has so many people.

Axord said:
I want some Blaster Master.

I wonder if Nintendo and MS might strike a deal whereby the games could appear on both VC and Live Arcade.

How is Nintendo handling the ratings problem? If anyone can buy a points card, then anyone can buy Splatterhouse unless there's some kind of age check in the store.

Actually, ratings might be a reason why Nintendo can only release so many games at a time. The ESRB only has so many people.

hmm, that is a possibility. Although it's hard to think any NES game even has a chance of being Teen or Mature :p

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Axord said:

I'm sure the parental controls would handle that.

soul creator said:
Well, the main reason I disagreed is because "shelf-life" theoretically shouldn't apply to downloadable old games.

But... uh... you're incorrect, because it does. People are more likely to buy a game when it becomes available than later; that doesn't change based on what platform it's on or how it's sold.

But as I said before, I don't view VC games as "competing" with retail games, or even as "new releases", so that's where we're all gonna disagree I guess.

Right, but that's the wrong way to think about it. What matters to Nintendo (for all releases) and third-parties (for whatever games they put up on VC) is sales. And big games like FF, Zelda, etc. will sell equally well no matter when they're released, while lesser games will do better when given a week to stand alone. This way is going to increase overall sales of many titles and therefore likely increase third parties' interest in putting games on VC.

jman2050

Netrunner2k2 said:
:lol

I loved that game.

I could also go for Gex 64 on VC.

IIRC, there are licensing issues with Mischief Makers that'll probably ensure that it never ever gets rereleased anywhere ever again. Which is a real shame, as the game rocks.

-james-

Altered Beast Sega Genesis
Baseball NES
Bomberman '93 TurboGrafx-16
Bonk's Adventure TurboGrafx-16
Columns Sega Genesis
Donkey Kong NES
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine Sega Genesis
Dungeon Explorer TurboGrafx-16
Ecco the Dolphin Sega Genesis
F-Zero SNES
Golden Axe Sega Genesis
Gunstar Heroes Sega Genesis
Ice Hockey NES
Mario Bros. NES
Pinball NES
Ristar Sega Genesis
Sim City SNES
Soccer NES
Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Genesis
Solomon’s Key NES
Space Harrier II Sega Genesis
Super Mario 64 N64
Super Star Soldier TurboGrafx-16
The Legend of Zelda NES
Tennis NES
Toe Jam & Earl Sega Genesis
Urban Champion NES
Victory Run TurboGrafx-16
Wario’s Woods NES

http://wii.nintendo.com/virtualconsole.jsp

Edit: Are these all there now??? (im at work...)

Gigglepoo

If Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy were released last week, no one would have bought Solomon's Key. Would you really want to have that on your conscience?

Top Bottom