• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

dyls

ethelred said:
I, er... caved and got Bonk. I wasn't too happy about it, though -- I did it just because I felt the need to download something. I really want better games up on VC... like, now.

Buy Solomon's Key, a wildly underrated game. It used to be a favorite of mine in the arcade 20 years ago. I thought it might not hold up today and that nostalgia was clounding my love for the game. I was wrong, still super fun.

TekunoRobby said:
Warp Point? I was in the middle of the mini-trench swimming downwards and when I was "warped" half of my body was inside the ship's geometry but quickly popped out. Granted I haven't played the game a little over 8 years but you people are quick to jump down someone's throat. :lol

There is a warp point around there :p

Try doing this: in any water stage, collect 100 coins to make a star appear (Try doing it over water) Grab it, and Mario will immediatley warp to the sea floor. Then after the text box disappers, Mario appears at the water surface!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Dragona Akehi said:
There is a warp point around there :p
Ahh I'm too lazy to pull out the N64 so I'll take your word for it. The snarky smiley face seems like a seal of approval anyways. Aside from those two "bugs" and the seams issue the game has been running great in 480p. Wish they could've done something about the seams though, that Thwomp stage looks real rough with it.

AndoCalrissian said:
Didn't the RAM Pak enable this feature in some games? I remember there being a bit of a big deal around that for a bit.

Regardless, I can't wait to see more N64 games like Star Fox 64, Wave Race, and 1080 Snowboarding.
The Expansion Pak did enable high resolution options in some games like Rogue Squadron and Perfect Dark, which was nice. However, in this case it will happen with all released games, no frame rate downgrade, and be progressive scan, so it's quite nicer.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Honestly I'd just like to know what they are, so I know whether to care to check at some point today or not. Some sort of Major Nelson type service (or at the very least, a simple list on their website) would be nice.

Campster said:
Honestly I'd just like to know what they are, so I know whether to care to check at some point today or not. Some sort of Major Nelson type service (or at the very least, a simple list on their website) would be nice.
As someone suggested in this or another thread, they should send a message (only for people who want it) to your Wii on the first of every month with launch dates. If there has been a delay, there could be another message about it.

Cyan said:
P.S. Does anyone here use the DS dongle to get their Wii online, and if so, how well does it work and what sort of range do you get? I don't have a wireless router, so I'm looking for a cheap alternative...

i have my Wii like 2 feet away of my dongle. it works pretty well.

ProphetZG

ethelred said:
I, er... caved and got Bonk. I wasn't too happy about it, though -- I did it just because I felt the need to download something. I really want better games up on VC... like, now.

I don't own a Wii, and I don't have a lot of interest in VC games (mainly cuz I can already play all of them right now).

But I just had to interject... gaming doesn't get any better than Bonk's Adventure! :D

Prettier, technically more advanced - sure. But more fun? No way!

Bonk is one of the very few games that I play every year like clockwork. And I've been doing it since it debuted way back in 1990. Nearly 17 years of Bonk's Adventure, and I still love it. In my eyes, the game is perfect. Completely uniform in its design and atmosphere, and never boring or overly repetitive. No platformer was ever more enjoyable. Back in the day, I loved Mario and Sonic too. But Bonk was my numero uno.

For anyone discovering Bonk for the first time on Wii - I can only hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I have these many years.

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I guess the Wii must come with more of that 512 MB already in use than I imagined. If SM64's 90 blocks are 11.1 MB, it seems 1 block is 128 kilobytes. With a fresh Wii there was somewhere around 2200 blocks free, which would be about 275 megabytes.

Some of the 512 MB might be blocked off from access for things like firmware updates and the news/weather channel or whatever. But besically a little more thna half is free to use for VC downloads and saves.

BTW, can VC games be run straight from the SD cards?

Deku said:
BTW, can VC games be run straight from the SD cards?
Nope. You must go to the data storage area and copy them on or off the SD card. I hope in the future there's a channel that lets you run other channels straight from the SD card. It's not like there'd be any additional security problem; it'd just be more convenient for those who take biggest advantage of VC.

SuperPac

****ing damnit. If Nintendo adds 10 titles a week I'm gonna be down so much damn money buying VC games.

Please Nintendo, add more, and faster.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Nope. You must go to the data storage area and copy them on or off the SD card. I hope in the future there's a channel that lets you run other channels straight from the SD card. It's not like there'd be any additional security problem; it'd just be more convenient for those who take biggest advantage of VC.

Are you sure? According to Chris Remo at shacknews you can.

From the Wii options menu, you can now copy Virtual Console games over to SD cards; if you like, you can also delete the game from the internal memory, leaving it only on the SD card. Note that you will still only be able to play downloaded games on your own console, even from an SD card.

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2006/111806_wii_softwareupdate_1.x

Here's a finalised Japanese Virtual Console list:

NES

- Baseball
- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Gomoku Narabe Renju
- Gradius
- Ice Hockey
- Pinball
- Soccer
- Solomon’ S Key
- Super Mario Bros.
- Tennis
- The Legend of Zelda
- Urban Champion
- Xevious
- Mario Bros. (December 12)
- Wario’ S Woods (December 12)
- The Legend of Kage (December 19)
- Ninja Jajamaru-Kun (December 26)

Super Nintendo

- F-Zero
- Street Fighter II
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Mario World
- The Legend of Zelda: In Link to the Past [ 900 points ]
- Donkey Kong Country [ December 12 ]
- Countered III: The Alien Wars [ December 19 ]
- Mario No Super Picross [ December 19 ]
- Emblem Fire: Monshô No Nazo [ December 26 ] [ 900 points ]
- R-Type III [ December 26 ]
- Sim City [ December 26 ] [ 900 points ]

Nintendo 64

- Super Mario 64

Megadrive

- Altered Beast
- Columns
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Golden delicious Centers
- Gunstar Heroes
- Puyo Puyo
- Ristar
- Shadow Dancer
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Space Harrier II
- ToeJam & Earl

PC Engine

- Battle Lode Runner
- Bomberman ‘ 94
- Dungeon To explore
- Necromancer
- New Adventure Island
- PC Kid
- Super Soldier Star
- Victory Run
- R-Type I [ December 13 ]
- Nectaris [ December 20 ]

Source: jexu france.

wsippel

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I guess the Wii must come with more of that 512 MB already in use than I imagined. If SM64's 90 blocks are 11.1 MB, it seems 1 block is 128 kilobytes. With a fresh Wii there was somewhere around 2200 blocks free, which would be about 275 megabytes.
A rather large part of the 512MB Flash seems to be used as cache for Wii games...

damn, why is the Japanese list so much more awesome than the US :lol

I still think they should just dump as much stuff possible up there. And add timed demos for every game (have it automatically quit after 5-10 minutes or something) so I can get some idea of what I'm buying.

mollipen

JoshuaJSlone said:

I really hope you're mistaken, because I just purchased a 2GB SD card specifically for VC downloads, so if you aren't, then I = owned.

Amir0x

Banned
flipping_heck said:
Here's a finalised Japanese Virtual Console list:

NES

- Baseball
- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Gomoku Narabe Renju
- Gradius
- Ice Hockey
- Pinball
- Soccer
- Solomon’ S Key
- Super Mario Bros.
- Tennis
- The Legend of Zelda
- Urban Champion
- Xevious
- Mario Bros. (December 12)
- Wario’ S Woods (December 12)
- The Legend of Kage (December 19)
- Ninja Jajamaru-Kun (December 26)

Super Nintendo

- F-Zero
- Street Fighter II
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Mario World
- The Legend of Zelda: In Link to the Past [ 900 points ]
- Donkey Kong Country [ December 12 ]
- Countered III: The Alien Wars [ December 19 ]
- Mario No Super Picross [ December 19 ]
- Emblem Fire: Monshô No Nazo [ December 26 ] [ 900 points ]
- R-Type III [ December 26 ]
- Sim City [ December 26 ] [ 900 points ]

Nintendo 64

- Super Mario 64

Megadrive

- Altered Beast
- Columns
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Golden delicious Centers
- Gunstar Heroes
- Puyo Puyo
- Ristar
- Shadow Dancer
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Space Harrier II
- ToeJam & Earl

PC Engine

- Battle Lode Runner
- Bomberman ‘ 94
- Dungeon To explore
- Necromancer
- New Adventure Island
- PC Kid
- Super Soldier Star
- Victory Run
- R-Type I [ December 13 ]
- Nectaris [ December 20 ]

Source: jexu france.

Jesus ****ing Christ. US/Euro releases OOOOWNZOOOORED

bullshit, Nintendo

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It's not as if Tetris Attack is/was a headliner game...

of course not, it's just one of the greatest games of all time (and seriously, if VC is just gonna be for 'headliner games' that's pretty useless)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Amir0x said:
of course not, it's just one of the greatest games of all time (and seriously, if VC is just gonna be for 'headliner games' that's pretty useless)

It is the greatest puzzle game ever, however I would expect to see Pokemon Puzzle league well before that.

Amir0x

Banned
Sp3eD said:
It is the greatest puzzle game ever, however I would expect to see Pokemon Puzzle league well before that.

Pokemon Puzzle League?

Get that crap out of there! No imitations plz! I want YOSHI AND PALS

mollipen

Pureauthor said:
It's not as if Tetris Attack is/was a headliner game...

Compared to "headliners" on that list like Urban Champion and Altered Beast?

Amir0x said:
Pokemon Puzzle League?

Get that crap out of there! No imitations plz! I want YOSHI AND PALS

If you're going to bash the imitations, then shouldn't you also bash Tetris Attack, which was just an imitation of Panel de Pon?

Amir0x said:

Well, obviously it's not just going to be for headliner games, but I figure that Nintendo will want some 'bigger' releases during their first few weeks.

Amir0x said:
So true. Game of the Century or not, I can only play Super Mario 64 so many times.

Amir0x

Banned
shidoshi said:
If you're going to bash the imitations, then shouldn't you also bash Tetris Attack, which was just an imitation of Panel de Pon?

True, but imho Tetris Attack is the ultimate form of Panel de Pon... the best music, the best theme AND the refinement of Panel de Pon gameplay :D

(plus I just meant 'no imitations of Tetris Attack', although I guess i should have 'no substitutes')

Top Bottom