• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Christopher

soul creator said:
it only supports Visa/Mastercard, so a strict debit card (they still make those?) won't work. A checkcard should work though (debit card with Visa/Mastercard logo)

and to the person above that wanted to connect wirelessly with his Wii while the PC is off...just buy a wireless router, lol.

Oh yeah it has the logo on it, I should have made that a bit clearer. Thanks a lot man.

Good news - from what I read elsewhere, it sounds like there was a last-minute hitch that meant those two just missed launch day. Hopefully next Monday will see the beginning of the weekly updates that have been discussed.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the later release date for the system in the UK means we'll have more available on day one...

Clouseau

SailorDaravon said:
SWEET. I'm at work now, is Bomberman multiplayer, and if so how many?

It says 1-5 players -- "When battling with multiple players you must connect the same number of wii remotes or gamecube controllers as the number of players. To play with 5 players you will need at least 1 Nintendo Gamecube controller"

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
q*bert said:
It says 1-5 players -- "When battling with multiple players you must connect the same number of wii remotes or gamecube controllers as the number of players. To play with 5 players you will need at least 1 Nintendo Gamecube controller"
Awesome!!! btw, no new NES/SNES/Genesis/64 games?

SuperPac

Hot ****. I will download Bonk after work. Probably Bomberman, as well. It's semi-depressing that I'm more excited about these VC games than Rainbow Six: Vegas?

now TG-16 games I can get behind...lot of people including myself missed out on some of the greats, so it's good to see them have some new life.

RaidenZR

It's kind of cool that all three 16-bit mascots are now represented on one system. Or, they will be once Super Mario World creeps in.

sammy

--- i used to beat Bonk every day before i headed off to school (13 years ago)

time to pick the habit back up

Dr. Jade

Just downloaded Mario 64 ... fantasticly perfect ... feels like 1996 all over again ... bring on the rest of N64's library!!!

I'm trying to download Super Mario 64 off the VC, but it seems that it may stopped downloading. Will anything happen if I shut off the Wii and will I be able to start the download again some other time?

Great Rumbler said:
I'm trying to download Super Mario 64 off the VC, but it seems that it may stopped downloading. Will anything happen if I shut off the Wii and will I be able to start the download again some other time?

Your wii will explode.

Sup Johnny.

Yeah, I really doubt that it'll damage my system, but that's not what I'm trying to figure. What I want to know is if I'll have to pay again to download it later or if they have some kind of record of my download that lets me get again for free.

I shut the system off and when I turned it back on, a tile for Super Mario 64 was on the main screen. I selected it and the game works just fine.

*shrugs*

dock

Bandicoot said:
As a sidenote, the analog sticks on the classic controller also control the pointer on screen for the Wii home menu. Pretty slick to think ahead about this Nintendo. That way we dont have to put down the controller and pick up the wiimote just to get access to the manuals etc.
I hope some third party (hori, perhaps) releases a standalone 'classic controller' that doesn't need the wiimote at all. It sounds like you could effectively snip off the wiimote functionality and make a wireless classic controller pretty easily.

It's great to see a five player bomberman on the Wii already!
I hope they consider doing hi-ten bomberman, or Saturn bomberman, or a new custom version similar to those.... with eight players!

Hmm, I've tried a few times unsuccessfully to connect to the shop today, though other Internet function has worked. I hope two TG16 games and the launch systems aren't enough to bog this service down.
q*bert said:
Great. I wondered about this once I read Bomberman '93 was 5-player.
Dr. Jade said:
Just downloaded Mario 64 ... fantasticly perfect ... feels like 1996 all over again ... bring on the rest of N64's library!!!
It's like 1996 in 480p. :)

So I finally got my VC games copied to an SD card. Actually, the size is even smaller than my second estimate. The directory names given to games on the SD card aren't exactly specific, but I can make some educated guesses.

NAAE: Super Mario 64 is 11.1 MB
FAFE: Mario Bros. is 2.31 MB
PAAE: Bonk's Adventure or Bomberman '93 is 3.09 MB
PABE: Whichever the above isn't is 3.54 MB

I guess the Wii must come with more of that 512 MB already in use than I imagined. If SM64's 90 blocks are 11.1 MB, it seems 1 block is 128 kilobytes. With a fresh Wii there was somewhere around 2200 blocks free, which would be about 275 megabytes.

Linkup

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I finally got my VC games copied to an SD card. Actually, the size is even smaller than my second estimate. The directory names given to games on the SD card aren't exactly specific, but I can make some educated guesses.

NAAE: Super Mario 64 is 11.1 MB
FAFE: Mario Bros. is 2.31 MB
PAAE: Bonk's Adventure or Bomberman '93 is 3.09 MB
PABE: Whichever the above isn't is 3.54 MB

I guess the Wii must come with more of that 512 MB already in use than I imagined. If SM64's 90 blocks are 11.1 MB, it seems 1 block is 128 kilobytes. With a fresh Wii there was somewhere around 2200 blocks free, which would be about 275 megabytes.

Anyone want to estimate how soon space will run out?

BenT

fresquito said:
I'm guessing the 480p output has something to do.
I don't think that's it.

You've probably got the emulation engine (I would imagine it's included with each download, though I could be wrong) and the rather well-done online manuals taking up space...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah man, cartridge games had all sorts of unique and freaky ways of running, plus there are games for non-nintendo systems, so you gotta have an emu for each individual game. And those manuals probably do take up a decent chunk of space.

I'm not worried, got a nice 2GB SD card for cheap.

Rlan

Water Turkey said:
Are there online high scores and can you compete against people on internet in 2 players games? If not think they will be?

Not right now. Though I believe it can be supported, somehow. I think some Midway Collections had a few games with Xbox Live ranking systems built in, even though they were emulated. Depends on how the emulator works.

As for including the emulators, sure, SNES and Megadrive games usually have no glitches, but things like the N64 emulator would be ona game-by-game basis, with lots of tweaking to make sure everything goes right for that game. Much like Xbox emulation on the 360, really.

fresquito

BenT said:
I don't think that's it.

You've probably got the emulation engine (I would imagine it's included with each download, though I could be wrong) and the rather well-done online manuals taking up space...
Heh, probably a more acurate guess :)

Rlan said:
Not right now. Though I believe it can be supported, somehow. I think some Midway Collections had a few games with Xbox Live ranking systems built in, even though they were emulated. Depends on how the emulator works.
They could do it as easily as through some new channel. As long as it's in the current save / save state of a game, a channel could be made to read the correct bits of memory to get the high score, and send it to someplace online.

Rlan said:
As for including the emulators, sure, SNES and Megadrive games usually have no glitches, but things like the N64 emulator would be ona game-by-game basis, with lots of tweaking to make sure everything goes right for that game. Much like Xbox emulation on the 360, really.
I'm betting it has more to do with making things as easy as possible for the end user who isn't as into this stuff as us. One download, one backup to an SD card, one channel that works. Anything 3 N64 emulator variants included with three different games could do, could be done with 1 N64 emulator with a few different options auto-switched.

dock

I wonder what time they'll add Monday's VC content.

Also, I wonder whether Europe will get the same VC stuff as the USA at least. :( I read somewhere that we might not even have Bomberman.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Dr. Jade said:
Not to nitpick but I noticed a few flaws in the emulation or rather a few flaws became visible after the increase in resolution. The most common issue are the visible seams in some of the stages geometry. The Thwomp stage (one of the first accessible ones) is the one where this is most apparent. Another bug is in first water stage; the little eel doesn't seem to want to leave the ship for the first star. I actually swam around for a second and turned to look at it again and the eel simply vanished. In the very same stage as I was swimming down to the bottom I was magically warped next to the sunken ship for some reason and I was no where near it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
New games on Mondays right? Hopefully I can actually get something worthwhile. Bonk was tempting, but I haven't bought anything yet.

ethelred

BorkBork said:
New games on Mondays right? Hopefully I can actually get something worthwhile. Bonk was tempting, but I haven't bought anything yet.

I, er... caved and got Bonk. I wasn't too happy about it, though -- I did it just because I felt the need to download something. I really want better games up on VC... like, now.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ethelred said:
I, er... caved and got Bonk. I wasn't too happy about it, though -- I did it just because I felt the need to download something. I really want better games up on VC... like, now.
That's my dilemma, I'm about to download the game too just because I want to grab something new. Its ok I'll stand strong, tomorrow is a new day.

TekunoRobby said:
In the very same stage as I was swimming down to the bottom I was magically warped next to the sunken ship for some reason and I was no where near it.

You didn't play much Mario 64 on the original N64, did you? I assure you that this bug was present in the original.

AtomicShroom said:
You didn't play much Mario 64 on the original N64, did you? I assure you that this bug was present in the original.

And it isn't even a bug -- it's a warp point.

PS: Mario64 is absolute hotness in 480p. N64 games would have looked SO much better if they had been rendered at 640 X 480. Definately worth 10$ USD.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ethelred said:

Honestly if I had more time, I would have probably caved too. I already put in 2000 points the other night. All my free time has gone into Zelda. Sweet delicious Zelda.

Dragona Akehi said:

PS: Mario64 is absolute hotness in 480p. N64 games would have looked SO much better if they had been rendered at 640 X 480. Definately worth 10$ USD.
Didn't the RAM Pak enable this feature in some games? I remember there being a bit of a big deal around that for a bit.

Regardless, I can't wait to see more N64 games like Star Fox 64, Wave Race, and 1080 Snowboarding.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:

Gimme Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario.

Until then, DOWN WITH NSHITTY4.

ethelred said:
Gimme Ogre Battle 64 and Paper Mario.

Until then, DOWN WITH NSHITTY4.
Indeed. I would imagine Paper Mario will come eventually, but who published Ogre Battle 64? Never played much of it, but I'd snap that baby up for $10.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
AtomicShroom said:
Dragona Akehi said:
Warp Point? I was in the middle of the mini-trench swimming downwards and when I was "warped" half of my body was inside the ship's geometry but quickly popped out. Granted I haven't played the game in a little over 8 years now but you people are quick to jump down someone's throat. :lol

EDIT: There wasn't any fan fare with the warp either, screen just flashed over to the ship and there I was. I was a bit happy too, I wasn't paying attention to my health meter and I needed some coins.

Top Bottom