• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

lyre

Amir0x said:
True, but imho Tetris Attack is the ultimate form of Panel de Pon... the best music, the best theme AND the refinement of Panel de Pon gameplay :D

(plus I just meant 'no imitations of Tetris Attack', although I guess i should have 'no substitutes')
Incorrect. Puzzle League (plays exactly the same as the original Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon with same feel and even less slowdown) plus GBMicro is the ultimate form of the IntSys puzzle game time waster.

Once you get a game going, the omission of the snazzy backgrounds of the originals disappears and if you really need the music, put them into your mp3 player.

mollipen

yudaan said:
Incorrect. Puzzle League (plays exactly the same as the original Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon with same feel and even less slowdown) plus GBMicro is the ultimate form of the IntSys puzzle game time waster.

But, the slowdown was the best part. You can't take that out!

lyre

While it's debatable, I used to love the slowdown in the game as well ... until I started playing better. :p

The quicker you can swap blocks, the better the game. No questions.

jarrod

Banned
I've heard there were some key flaws in the GBA PDP port... Amir going for style over substance would be true to form, but I don't think that's the case this time. :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mondayton?

http://wii.nintendo.com/virtualconsole.jsp

Title Platform
Altered Beast Sega Genesis
Baseball NES
Bomberman '93 TurboGrafx-16
Bonk's Adventure TurboGrafx-16
Columns Sega Genesis
Donkey Kong NES
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine Sega Genesis
Dungeon Explorer TurboGrafx-16
Ecco the Dolphin Sega Genesis
F-Zero SNES
Golden Axe Sega Genesis
Gunstar Heroes Sega Genesis
Ice Hockey NES
Mario Bros. NES
Pinball NES
Ristar Sega Genesis
Sim City SNES
Soccer NES
Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Genesis
Solomon’s Key NES
Space Harrier II Sega Genesis
Super Mario 64 N64
Super Star Soldier TurboGrafx-16
The Legend of Zelda NES
Tennis NES
Toe Jam & Earl Sega Genesis
Urban Champion NES
Victory Run TurboGrafx-16
Wario’s Woods NES

Nester

Branduil said:
Bold what's new please.

Title Platform
Altered Beast Sega Genesis
Baseball NES
Bomberman '93 TurboGrafx-16
Bonk's Adventure TurboGrafx-16
Columns Sega Genesis
Donkey Kong NES
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine Sega GenesisDungeon Explorer TurboGrafx-16Ecco the Dolphin Sega Genesis
F-Zero SNES
Golden Axe Sega GenesisGunstar Heroes Sega Genesis
Ice Hockey NES
Mario Bros. NES
Pinball NES
Ristar Sega Genesis
Sim City SNES
Soccer NES
Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Genesis
Solomon’s Key NES
Space Harrier II Sega Genesis
Super Mario 64 N64
Super Star Soldier TurboGrafx-16
The Legend of Zelda NES
Tennis NES
Toe Jam & Earl Sega Genesis
Urban Champion NES
Victory Run TurboGrafx-16
Wario’s Woods NES

I think I got them all.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sorry guys, but this is just the complete "before the end of the year" list. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Amir0x

Banned
yudaan said:

Once you get a game going, the omission of the snazzy backgrounds of the originals disappears and if you really need the music, put them into your mp3 player.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm usually a stickler for slowdown, but Tetris Attack on SNES wasn't terrible in this regard. It's never a real issue that gets in the way of gameplay, imho. And, as a bonus, you get the **** incredible music and superior backgrounds which more than makes up for it.

Chemo

Sp3eD said:
I have a feeling that N64 stuff is going to be a once every 2 months thing. That sucks :(
Well, they won't be using many Rare games, which leaves exactly how much content that people are interested in? Not a whole hell of a lot. They'll have to be few and far between if they still want N64 updates for the VC in a year or two.

Amir0x

Banned
Chemo said:
Well, they won't be using many Rare games, which leaves exactly how much content that people are interested in? Not a whole hell of a lot. They'll have to be few and far between if they still want N64 updates for the VC in a year or two.

3 games, exactly. Especially if Sin and Punishment never comes out!

Morts

Only one N64 game and two SNES games by the end of the year? That's extremely disappointing and I hope there's some indication that it will be corrected in January by the time I get my Wii in a few weeks.

borghe

aside from Rare and WWF games, there are still quite a few:

Mario64 (out)
Star Fox 64
Ogre Battle 64
OoT
MM
ExciteBike 64
Wave Race
Paper Mario
SF Rush games
SSB
Harvest Moon 64
MK64
DK64 (nintendo still has rights to this IIRC)

not as exhaustive as the NES and SNES libraries, but still a decent list to pull games from.

edit - and weren't any WCW games done by Aki? Or only the WWF ones?

fresquito

Chemo said:
They better have Mischief Makers soon >: |

Rocked

Odd that Donkey Kong Country is a Virtual Console launch title in Europe, but there's no sign of it on the US schedule.

Chemo

Morts said:
Only one N64 game and two SNES games by the end of the year? That's extremely disappointing and I hope there's some indication that it will be corrected in January by the time I get my Wii in a few weeks.
The list really does need more SNES. I don't understand what the holdup is, there are literally no truly good games on the "by end of 2006" list from Nintendo that weren't on the VC at launch... all of the good stuff is coming from Sega and Hudson.

There are, more than likely, some surprises... stuff that isn't on the list. But if that list is totally accurate and there aren't any more first party offerings from Nintendo besides some pretty bad NES titles, then it's a huge misstep.

fresquito

Well, I'm guessing Nintendo is letting third parties to reign free at launch. This way there're higher chances they will get interested in supporting the thing with more games.

borghe

Snaku said:
WCW vs. NWO World Tour
WCW/NWO Revenge
there you go.. add those two to my list then. and considering they would still be better than every other wrestler currently out (i.e. SvR2006).

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Chemo said:

If I got

Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Wave Race 64
Mario Kart 64
Excitebike 64
and any of the WWE THQ games I would drop $70-$80 right there.

hopefully every one of the Nintendo made ones come.

Armitage

The VC has been so disappointing so far. I was hoping for a MASSIVE library of titles at launch, like hundreds and hundreds of hours of gaming bliss. Release more damn games Nintendo.

borghe

Sp3eD said:
and any of the WWE THQ games I would drop $70-$80 right there.
wwf games will never be rereleased. McMahon has to pay the REAL WWF money every time the logo/phrase is used. On video compilations they actually spend quite a bit of time blurring out the logos. No way Aki or anyone else is going to go in and rework all the art assets to change the WWF logo.

Armitage said:
The VC has been so disappointing so far. I was hoping for a MASSIVE library of titles at launch, like hundreds and hundreds of hours of gaming bliss. Release more damn games Nintendo.

seriously. I figured that would be the good thing about not making any major changes to the games...we would literally get an "archive" of hundreds of games to download to our heart's content. But spacing them out seems strange, especially considering emulation of the 8 and 16-bit systems is mostly mature at this point.

borghe

soul creator said:
seriously. I figured that would be the good thing about not making any major changes to the games...we would literally get an "archive" of hundreds of games to download to our heart's content. But spacing them out seems strange, especially considering emulation of the 8 and 16-bit systems is mostly mature at this point.
simple really. by offering "every" game for download all at once, it is very overwhelming, especially for NES games which are already underwhelming by default because of graphics and sound. by releasing just a few titles every week, it allows them to give greater focus to individual titles, and allows consumers to read through the info on just 3-4 titles, vs. 40 titles.

this is not "emulation" and all that goes with it (dvd collection of every rom ftl). This is actually selling, and by extension marketing, actual games. you don't do that by releasing them in batches of 30-50.

Snaku

Banned
borghe said:
simple really. by offering "every" game for download all at once, it is very overwhelming, especially for NES games which are already underwhelming by default because of graphics and sound. by releasing just a few titles every week, it allows them to give greater focus to individual titles, and allows consumers to read through the info on just 3-4 titles, vs. 40 titles.

this is not "emulation" and all that goes with it (dvd collection of every rom ftl). This is actually selling, and by extension marketing, actual games. you don't do that by releasing them in batches of 30-50.

And it's also a good way to provide content in between actual Wii game releases. No need to worry about long droughts with this console, as there should be a nice flow of new content coming on a weekly basis.

Deku

Banned
borghe said:

I think they could have picked a better list of games for NA. But that may be rectified later as NA did get the console first!

borghe said:
this is not "emulation" and all that goes with it (dvd collection of every rom ftl).

Serious. How many people who download those GoodSets of EVERY ROM FOR X EVER actually play (a) more than 5% of them, (b) any of them? My guess is not that many. Putting out new releases every week encourages people to try out the "newest" thing.

I do suspect the current rate of release is a mite too low -- I think you could safely release, like, 8 games a week spread across systems and genres and do pretty well for yourself. Then again, I think that'd be more viable if the prices were a little lower -- if they dropped it to, say, $3/$5/$8 for 1st/2nd/3rd gen stuff I think a lot of people would consistently drop $15 a week to keep up with the stuff that looked interesting.

Razoric

Banned
Deku said:
I think they could have picked a better list of games for NA. But that may be rectified later as NA did get the console first!

why release the best games at launch? next year will be a feeding frenzy for these VC games when there is a lull in Wii releases.

Just wait until Chrono Trigger, FF 1-6 and DQ are released for VC. :O :O

My personal wishlist:
Saturn games
Splatterhouse
Blades of Steel
Sonic CD
Eternal Champions CD

:)

I hope that end of the year list isn't really all that were getting for this year. A mere dozen games left to be spread out over a month.....I was hoping they would at least be putting out 3-4 games per system each week.

Top Bottom