• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Chemo

Narag said:
Golden Axe & Ecco are up if anyone cares.
I think just about EVERYONE in this thread cares, honestly... so, are those the only two? Anyone else confirm? (I'd jump on if I could, but I'm at work)

I always thought it was tuesdays. Last week it updated on tuesday for me as well. That's when you usually get games in stores, right? Perhaps Nintendo is simulating that idea.

dyls

Thespis721 said:
I always thought it was tuesdays. Last week it updated on tuesday for me as well. That's when you usually get games in stores, right? Perhaps Nintendo is simulating that idea.

Yeah, but they ship them on Mondays. Why no first-party games this week, I wonder. Or are they still to come? I kind of like the randomized schedule more than a set time or day for updates. Gives me something more to do when I'm messing around in the Wii menu, which is still one of my favorite things to do.

Gigglepoo

Cyan said:
So... VC Tuesdays?

Better than VD Tuesdays...

I may jump on that Ecco. I never really got a chance to get into it the first time around. Star Soldier will probably be the first VC I download.

DigDugDirkDiggler said:
I can confirm. I'm snagging Ecco and Bonk now...is GA worth it?
Ehhh, only if you're really jonesing for a co-op beat-'em-up. There are similar and better games that should eventually turn up on VC.

(I still may find myself going for it at some point, but that's nostalgia's fault.)

Dungeon Explorer is multi co-op right? I 'm waiting for that and Gunstar Heroes. I'm dying to buy F-zero, but I just can't let myself pay $8 for it!

fresquito

Golden Axe is one of those games that have aged really poorly, and I'm talking about the arcade version. The Genesis version shall be some kind of abomination ala Altered Beast.

sammy

Ecco is really tempting, now that you can save out to the Wii Menue --- rather than passwords.....

that saving is going to make Gunstar Heroes so damn awesome co-op

..... but please, more N64 games!

mollipen

Okay, maybe I was confused, but... can I not copy and/or play VC games off of an SD card? I went for the $20 2GB SD card that was linked to on here recently, and just got it from UPS. Put it in, tried to copy my one VC game (Sonic) over, and it says it isn't allowed to be copied. Thought maybe it was a problem with the formatting of the SD card, but my Wii Sports save copies over just fine.

Did Nintendo serious design the Wii so that the only space you have for VC games is just the small internal memory?

Nester

shidoshi said:
Okay, maybe I was confused, but... can I not copy and/or play VC games off of an SD card? I went for the $20 2GB SD card that was linked to on here recently, and just got it from UPS. Put it in, tried to copy my one VC game (Sonic) over, and it says it isn't allowed to be copied. Thought maybe it was a problem with the formatting of the SD card, but my Wii Sports save copies over just fine.

Did Nintendo serious design the Wii so that the only space you have for VC games is just the small internal memory?

I copied Mario 64 and Bomberman 93 over to SD just fine after the initial system updates. I haven't tried removing them from the Channels and playing off SD though, I don't know if that can be done.

SuperPac

shidoshi said:

There's some way to do it since there's a video of a certain website's writer-dude copying Donkey Kong to an SD card. But if I recall there's a channel editing area specifically for it. I don't think you can play them off of the SD card, which is sorta disappointing. :'( Why not just use it as an extra hard drive? There's probably some limitation...

The minute TJ&E goes up, i will buy it. I only beat that game on the Genesis once and that was because it's so damn long with no saves! The VC save system will help alleviate that problem.

I think I'll skip Ecco and Golden Axe for now.

shidoshi said:

I think it's possible they did. If I recall correctly, one of the Wii Shop help menus seemed very adamant about saying games can't be copied, and they can't be played on other systems and they can't be redownloaded if you happen to sell your system. I could be wrong though, as evidenced by the other reply, lol. I think the only exception was that if it breaks, and you send it back to Nintendo, they'll arrange something. Which sorta makes an in-store warranty useless if you buy a lot of virtual console games...

sammy

shidoshi said:

i've copied everthing i have over to SD --------- but games have to dwell on the internal memory to be played at all i found.

on a side note, for those looking to "organize" your channels --- you can press both A + B to 'pinch' the channel and move it arround ---------------

Pellham

Banned
shidoshi said:

Maybe it's because you played some Sonic and have a save state going on it? Judging from the other replies, VC games on the SD card are meant as archives and that they have to be recopied to internal memory to be playable again (which is really stupid if this is the case).

I haven't tested it at all, might try it when I get home from work.

mollipen

Pellham said:
Maybe it's because you played some Sonic and have a save state going on it? Judging from the other replies, VC games on the SD card are meant as archives and that they have to be recopied to internal memory to be playable again (which is really stupid if this is the case).

I guess that could be the case... I'll see if I can clear out any sort of save state and then try copying it.

For those of you who have copied over games, are you just using the data management option under the main Wii menu? If there's another way to do it, please tell, in case the save state thing doesn't fix my problem.

Times like this are when Nintendo's lack of vision really bugs me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nice, I didn't realize that Golden Axe and Ecco the Dolphin were out. That's 3 new releases this week so far, right?

joeposh

So am I the only one still having issues with their Shop Channel perpetually hanging at the "Connecting, Please Wait.." screen? I have to do a PC-esque hold down of the power button to reboot, and can't figure out why it keeps doing this (everything else works fine and my connection test says I'm good to go). It didn't used to do this, I've even downloaded stuff from the store before, it's just since sometime yesterday. Any work arounds or possible causes?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
IMG_1741.JPG

blahness

joeposh said:
So am I the only one still having issues with their Shop Channel perpetually hanging at the "Connecting, Please Wait.." screen? I have to do a PC-esque hold down of the power button to reboot, and can't figure out why it keeps doing this (everything else works fine and my connection test says I'm good to go). It didn't used to do this, I've even downloaded stuff from the store before, it's just since sometime yesterday. Any work arounds or possible causes?

i was having the same issue yesterday evening around the time Super Star Soldier was put online... later on i could access it fine

shidoshi said:

I've copied my games (Mario Bros., SM64, Bonk's, Bomberman '93) to SD card, though they can't be played straight from there. I suppose it's possible third parties have the ability to set their games to not be copied just as certain game saves do.

Pellham said:
VC games have their own separate save files, though.

Big_T

joeposh said:
Its happened to me 2 hours ago
now everything work

mollipen

Okay... I'm a moron. I was trying to copy over Sonic's game save, not the game itself. Once I wised up and actually went into the Channels menu, it copied just fine.

RaidenZR

Man, can we get the Virtual Console threads consolidated into one thread or something? Having to check them all is kind of annoying.

shidoshi said:
Okay... I'm a moron. I was trying to copy over Sonic's game save, not the game itself. Once I wised up and actually went into the Channels menu, it copied just fine.
It will let you back up the game, but not the save? Now that's dumb.

Err, actually, Sonic didn't originally have saving, so that's just a save state, and could fall under the "Copying leading to cheating" excuse. Anyone tried other VC game saves?

JoshuaJSlone said:
It will let you back up the game, but not the save? Now that's dumb.

Err, actually, Sonic didn't originally have saving, so that's just a save state, and could fall under the "Copying leading to cheating" excuse. Anyone tried other VC game saves?

Why is your banana frowning now?

edit: the hell it changed to a smiley!

Gigglepoo

RaidenZR said:
Man, can we get the Virtual Console threads consolidated into one thread or something? Having to check them all is kind of annoying.

This is the official thread...

Anyone feel like giving some indepth impressions of Star Soldier? I am genuinly interested in this game. If I download it, will I be able to use the Wiimote to play it? The GC controller?

Rushmore

TheQueen'sOwn said:
What a load of balls -.-....
The american VC list is horrible compared to the japanese VC list :(.

While that may be true, Japan still got the short end of the stick. They may have more VC games to choose from but at least we have Wii's to play them on. :D

Probationsmack said:
Why is your banana frowning now?

edit: the hell it changed to a smiley!
My avatar is random, but can be subtle. :)

Gigglepoo said:
Anyone feel like giving some indepth impressions of Star Soldier? I am genuinly interested in this game. If I download it, will I be able to use the Wiimote to play it? The GC controller?
All previous NES/TG16 games work fine with wiimote/GCN/classic controller, and given that they never got more advanced controllers I see no reason that that would change.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The Wii I camped out for for 8 hours is still in the box and will not be opened until Christmas. So I have a system, 2 extra remotes, 2 extra nunchuks, one classic controller, ExciteTruck and Monkey Ball taunting me. (I'm getting paid back for all of it under the guise of family Christmas presents)

So I thought I'd gauge the sage advice of GAF: For those of you with the Classic controller, which do you prefer to play with, the Classic or the Cube controller? How does the Classic feel, and how do games like Mario 64 play?

Triz

JohnTinker said:
The Wii I camped out for for 8 hours is still in the box and will not be opened until Christmas. So I have a system, 2 extra remotes, 2 extra nunchuks, one classic controller, ExciteTruck and Monkey Ball taunting me. (I'm getting paid back for all of it under the guise of family Christmas presents)

So I thought I'd gauge the sage advice of GAF: For those of you with the Classic controller, which do you prefer to play with, the Classic or the Cube controller? How does the Classic feel, and how do games like Mario 64 play?

Great question...I have a sealed wavebird at home and a sealed Classic that I found today. Which should I keep? I think it best to use the wavebird if Im gonna play gamecube games no?

Vard

JohnTinker asks a good question. I'd also like to add, in Super Mario 64 can you fully control the camera using the 2nd analog stick or does it still rotate by a set amount like it did in the original with the C buttons?

Also, is Super Mario World one of the launch window titles for VC? Should we expect it to be available by the end of this year?

Classic Controller is godly for NES/SNES/TG16/Genny games. The d-pad is total sex.

For N64 games ... not so much. The PS2 style analog layout isn't as comfortable especailly for games where you have to use the shoulder buttons as well (like Mario 64). The GameCube controller is still a very, very comfortable controller and is better for the N64 games with the analog in the primary position.

Though to be honest, the regular Wiimote + nunchaku would probably be better than both for Mario 64 as it can replicate the analog + Z trigger feel of Mario 64 most faithfully. Camera control can be moved to the d-pad without problem.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
soundwave05 said:
Classic Controller is godly for NES/SNES/TG16/Genny games. The d-pad is total sex.

For N64 games ... not so much. The PS2 style analog layout isn't as comfortable especailly for games where you have to use the shoulder buttons as well (like Mario 64). The GameCube controller is still a very, very comfortable controller and is better for the N64 games with the analog in the primary position.

Though to be honest, the regular Wiimote + nunchaku would probably be better than both for Mario 64 as it can replicate the analog + Z trigger feel of Mario 64 most faithfully. Camera control can be moved to the d-pad without problem.

this is a hypothetical right? wii remote/nunchaku combo isn't compatible is it?

Rushmore

JohnTinker said:

Personally, I prefer the GameCube controller for Mario 64 and the Classic controller for 2D games. It's more difficult to pull off precise analog moves on the Classic controller due to the lack of grips. You could get used to it, but it still won't be as good as the GameCube controller.

Top Bottom