• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Deku said:
Oh it just occurred to me there was an N64 SC. So want StarCraft on VC. :) I believe Nintendo published it too.

That's a game I've never played before (the Nintendo 64 version of StarCraft); it'd be cool if they even added Wii Remote controls to it somehow.

bumpkin

So I was just poking around and saw that Sega has updated the release dates for Comic Zone, Bonanza Bros. and Gain Ground; looks like Monday's the day.

Also, not sure if anyone's seen yet, but Super Mario World and Chew Man Fu appear to be new on the Wii's ESRB rating list. Perhaps we'll see one or both on Monday as well? :D I see Contra 3 way down on the list, so it makes me wonder what the hold-up is there.

*crosses fingers for SMW*

I can't remember, in the original N64 version of Mario Kart, could you race every class from the get go? As you can on the VC version. i think that kinda sucks! There's nothing to earn!

Mar

Christopher said:
French omg dude get Castlevania 4 I never played a Castlevania game before and it's one of my favorite games now...

This is the single most awesome thing about the VC. Gamers who have never tried these classic history making releases can play them for the first time. I almost wish I could erase my memory so I could enjoy some of these games like they were new.

Hopefully Super Metroid gets added at some point. That is quite possibly the single best 16bit game in the world. Can't wait to see people playing it for the first time and realising what they missed.

Vargas

POWERSPHERE said:
I can't remember, in the original N64 version of Mario Kart, could you race every class from the get go? As you can on the VC version. i think that kinda sucks! There's nothing to earn!

Mirror Mode!!

GamerGeorge said:
That's a game I've never played before (the Nintendo 64 version of StarCraft); it'd be cool if they even added Wii Remote controls to it somehow.

I would buy it. Hell, I would buy the N64 version itself if I could find it for a reasonable price. I'm a big fan of SC... and yeah the N64 version, it was definitely fun. The graphics were somewhat downgraded, and it had a horrid framerate aka slow as hell at times, but still good fun to be had. :) It was SC after all. :)

~prays for SC on the DS~

ethelred

Branduil said:
Maybe because it's, I don't know, fun. Not as much fun as making needlessly elitist statements though, I'm sure.

Or posting an endless stream of random anime pictures no matter how appropriate during a given occasion.

Anyway, infer elitism all you want, but there was none present. I was just asking a simple question!

Ril

SailorDaravon said:
The GBA port went Player's Choice a few months ago, I wouldn't count on it anytime soon at all.

So did Super Mario World, and that's apparently on the way for Monday.

Jiggy37 said:
Well, I think they could get around it with better enemy placement or new attacks. I don't think the whip itself was the problem, just that things became unbalanced when you had eight times the freedom while the enemies were still using the same moves they'd always had instead of being upgraded to provide a challenge even to the new and improved Simon.

You have a point. I think what really also did it was how zoomed in the playing field was for that one Castlevania. No other game in the series has been zoomed in like that, thank goodness.

Pellham

Banned
all of this MK64 hate is... bleah

did none of you guys have friends over to play battle mode? I had way more fun with 4 player battle mode in MK64 than in SMK or MK:DD. though admittedly SMK's single player mode is still the best among all of the MK games.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
Or posting an endless stream of random anime pictures no matter how appropriate during a given occasion.

Anyway, infer elitism all you want, but there was none present. I was just asking a simple question!

MKDS means every break in college is a party. Playing with as many as 7 other friends at a time = hella fun.

Pellham

Banned
cvxfreak said:
MKDS means every break in college is a party. Playing with as many as 7 other friends at a time = hella fun.

Wow, are DS's popular in colleges? I graduated college years ago so I missed out on that stuff. N64 multiplayer parties were all the rage when I was in college.

cvxfreak

Pellham said:
Wow, are DS's popular in colleges? I graduated college years ago so I missed out on that stuff. N64 multiplayer parties were all the rage when I was in college.

This is just my personal experience, but yes. I see tons of people with DSLs and all my friends would gather on our breaks and just get some MKDS on. Last semester, this dude walked up to my group in the middle of MKDS and talked about Nintendo's strategy with non-games. It was really weird.

Zelda: OOT was put up on Nintendo of Japan's website...

Streets of Rage and Super Ghouls and Ghosts were also put up.

Yea, I don't come over to the gaming side much and I haven't been on GAF at all in a week, so if I'm late just laugh at me.

Christopher

Pellham said:

eh I wouldn't really say so. I think two of my brothers have one - and I see people here and there while waiting for the bus, nut nothing that's like whoa it's so popular!

:lol I saw the guy playing one who works at GNC and when me and my friend walked in he put it under his desk I was like I saw that, and he started laughing, he was playing New Super Mario Bros.

CajoleJuice said:
Zelda: OOT was put up on Nintendo of Japan's website...

Streets of Rage and Super Ghouls and Ghosts were also put up.

Yea, I don't come over to the gaming side much and I haven't been on GAF at all in a week, so if I'm late just laugh at me.

Cajole where have you been?

Gigglepoo

Hellraizah said:
Please God, Contra 3 on Monday.

I support this statement.

Just wondering what other TG-16 games we can be looking forward to. I never owned one back in the day but have been quite pleased with the VC selection so far. What else will have me chomping at the bit?

Vard

cvxfreak said:

Yeah, it's the same exact thing with me during college breaks. All my friends have DSes, and it's amazing. Most of us already got our Wiis too. :)

mrkgoo

beelzebozo said:
level b-2 of castlevania 4 NEEDS TO DIE

I'm playing this for the first time ever - I;'m up to 9-1, and playing through it more because I paid for it rather than I enjoy it. I still stand by that it's more an 8-bit game with a smattering fo 16-bit stylings, but having worked my way through this far, it has put me in a sort of frame of mind that I am enjoying the 16-bit era for the first time again.

The music has melded into this remarkable feat, and I'm, appreciating all teh games that came out afterwards that much more at the moment.

Currently, I'm playing:

Castlevania4, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario64.

Branduil

ethelred said:

Sorry. When someone asks such an obvious question it's hard to take it at face value, but if you really meant it that's fine.

maynerd

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was browsing around the wii shop channel for some games and i noticed solomon's key! i had to buy that shit up and it was as awesome as i remember. i've already spent $40 on VC games... that # will go up soon enough too :(

a few questions about some games:

1. how is bomberman '93?
2. how is bonks adventure?
3. how is castlevania IV?

pretty tempted to get super mario bros and legend of zelda NES also.

Hey you got a Wii!? Congrats!

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
This is just my personal experience, but yes. I see tons of people with DSLs and all my friends would gather on our breaks and just get some MKDS on. Last semester, this dude walked up to my group in the middle of MKDS and talked about Nintendo's strategy with non-games. It was really weird.

DS is everywhere. I think they (Nintendo) hit the right mark with the pricing and the redesigned DSL. It's not as popular with the kids, who still seem to have their GBASPs, which seems to make sense given how well its still selling. The older gamers are picking up the DSL it seems. Also, I've noticed something.

DSL is very much a couple's portable. Very often I see gf/bf have a pair of them.

cvxfreak

Deku said:
DS is everywhere. I think they (Nintendo) hit the right mark with the pricing and the redesigned DSL. It's not as popular with the kids, who still seem to have their GBASPs, which seems to make sense given how well its still selling. The older gamers are picking up the DSL it seems. Also, I've noticed something.

DSL is very much a couple's portable. Very often I see gf/bf have a pair of them.

I also have the tendency to scare the entire student break area when I scream loudly when hit with a blue shell ten meters before the finish line on the third lap. :lol :lol

thaivo

Bomberman is a riot as long as you have more than two players. It brings the house down...! Buy it if you have others to play with.

mrkgoo

fusoya59 said:
found an interesting article:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=156320

mk64 PAL visuals "crisper" and has "smoother frame rates" even during 4 player split screen!

so, looks like hope is not lost; these classic games CAN be modified, albeit in small doses. who knows, maybe online VC isn't out of the question.

I don't think the 3D titles are modifed in and of themselves, but the Wii just renders them at much higher resolution and a more consistent framerate. Mario 64 is beautiful - I did a direct comparison of my N64 vs VC, and the VC is damned awesome. I felt bad enough thinking of buying SNES games that had been stolen from me, but I was never going to buy N64 games when my N64 is sitting right there. But lo and behold...after Mario64, and MArio Kart64, I think I will probably repurchase all my favourite N64 titles, if not just to take a look.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
bomberman 93 is utter garbage. Really bad version of bomberman.

I've got

super mario bros
mario 64
gunstar heroes
bomberman 93
r type

so far I think the purchases that were worth it are SMB and gunstar heroes. I need to put some time into mario 64 though, only got 1 star.

mrkgoo

catfish said:
bomberman 93 is utter garbage. Really bad version of bomberman.

I've got

super mario bros
mario 64
gunstar heroes
bomberman 93
r type

so far I think the purchases that were worth it are SMB and gunstar heroes. I need to put some time into mario 64 though, only got 1 star.

Have you played Mario64 before?

If not you're in for a real treat. I remember powering that game up for the first time...it was mindblowing. Absolutely. I don't think any game has made me feel like that one did - that jump to 3D (maybe Zelda OoT). I don't think there ever will be either - I mean, next gen can get as hi-def as it wants, but the freedom from going to 2D to 3D is immense.

Mario64 was like an adventure playground. It just oozed fun.

You have to approach it as if you were playing a 3D game for the first time. It might help to go play some SMB, or Castelvania, or gunstars...just to get into that mood and FEEL the VC...which I have been doing. Yes, the nostalgia is huge..but just try imagining it's your first 3D console...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've played mario before, it's great but I overloaded myself with VC titles, will get round to it again, probably have to get the whole 120 stars like last time.

Unfortunately my wii suffers from the 'sparkles' issue with the overheated video card, I hope nintendo gives me all my titles back when I get my new console.

mrkgoo

catfish said:
I've played mario before, it's great but I overloaded myself with VC titles, will get round to it again, probably have to get the whole 120 stars like last time.

Unfortunately my wii suffers from the 'sparkles' issue with the overheated video card, I hope nintendo gives me all my titles back when I get my new console.

Oh, then disregard above. May you find it a bore and a chore then to get all the stars. :p

Funny, I played Mario 64 loads, bought it on DS, played it all the way through again (in Japanese mind, so I didn't really know the clue names - needed an FAQ, and the game felt different with the DS controls, and new stars), and now I bought it again for VC, and will probably not be stisfied until I get a 120 Star save file on there.

Nintendo owns me.

Interestingly, Mario 64 does not appear to have a save state. When ever I leave and return, I'm back on the main screen. Is this the case with MArio Kart 64? ie, is this like all the N64 games? I really like the save state for the other titles.

Gav

Just downloaded Mario Kart.
Download was nice and quick, and it does indeed look crisper. But, am i imagining things, or did there used to be music playing while racing...? Seems very quiet without it.

Edit: Never mind. I obviously pressed too many buttons the first race. Z changes the volume, and i must have turned it off.

darkbanjo

Having only played MK64 very briefly with a friend a couple of years back, all this hate got me a bit confused as to whether it was worth it. I took the chance though, and got it and it's pretty damn rawking.

I need another classic controller though, having someone else play with a Cube controller makes me feel dirty. THINGS MUST ALL BE THE SAME.

/ocd

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
beelzebozo said:
level b-2 of castlevania 4 NEEDS TO DIE

Did you make it trough the "falling stairs" part? Hell's waiting for you just after!Still blocked at that part...When I think Dracula is somewhere near after...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mistouze said:
Did you make it trough the "falling stairs" part? Hell's waiting for you just after!Still blocked at that part...When I think Dracula is somewhere near after...

yeah, but those stairs gave me a ridiculous amount of trouble. what i finally discovered--only in the last twenty minutes of the game--is that holding jump when you land on the stairs makes you hesitate before you can start moving. this leaves you open to be completely screwed when you end up being stuck on a platform, waiting for the big spiked pinwheel to progress up and inevitably slice you up.

nothing--nothing--in that game prepared me for level b-2. dracula was cake compared to it.

edit: and how are people downloading mario kart 64 already? is it up?

Bloodwake

beelzebozo said:
yeah, but those stairs gave me a ridiculous amount of trouble. what i finally discovered--only in the last twenty minutes of the game--is that holding jump when you land on the stairs makes you hesitate before you can start moving. this leaves you open to be completely screwed when you end up being stuck on a platform, waiting for the big spiked pinwheel to progress up and inevitably slice you up.

nothing--nothing--in that game prepared me for level b-2. dracula was cake compared to it.

Level B-2 was the level Konami let Satan himself design.

2DMention said:
Any advanced word on what will be up tomorrow?

Cheesemeister's URL Search (thus far 100% accurate) says:

Contra III: Alien Wars
Gain Ground
Comix Zone
Super Mario World

Sega website (wrong last week) says:

Comix Zone
Bonanaza Bros.
Gain Ground

NoA PR says:

Mario Kart 64

I say Nintendo of America has wisened up and is setting up games weeks ahead of their VC launch. Gain Ground, Comix Zone, Bonanza Bros, and Mario Kart 64 go up tomorrow, with Contra III & Super Mario World following sometime in early February. I'm going to laugh though if Sega fails to get their games up for a second consecutive week and all we end up with is Mario Kart 64.

Top Bottom