• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

onesvenus

Has anyone found a way to save the ghost data in Mario Kart 64?
It seems it was saved on the N64 memory card and it doesn't found one on the Wii.
I was hoping for perfect or improved emulation on the Wii but if there isn't a way to save on the games that used the memory pack, i won't download any more N64 games.

Lapsed

Banned
I hope Hudson's friendly guy, John Master Lee, doesn't mind if I quote his post here.

John Master Lee said:
Actually, our overall goal was to release about 1-2 games every month. We wanted to have a strong start with the Wii VC, which is why you saw so many great games come out the gate. It took quite a bit of effort to work on all these games, so we're catching our second wind! You'd think it would be easy to just take these games that are already done, and launch them, but quite a bit of work goes into the whole process, so it's definitely given me a new level of appreciation of what goes into creating a seamless system, like the VC.

As for the next few games, we thought we'd start off "Act 2" with some real hidden gems. Some games are really much more obscure, and tackle a few genres we haven't hit yet, and really servicing the fans. We don't expect these to be the big blockbusters like some of the games in the first batch, but they are fun in their own way. I'd say you'll probably see at least two real niche games, and at least two real big games.

I predict the two niche games are: Chew Man Fu (for sure) and Dragon's Curse or Double Dungeon.

The two big games would be New Adventure Island and either Neutopia or Bonk 2.

Sega was tardy last week with their games which points out the struggle that Lee talked of getting games out there in a timely fashion. People think VC is just a rom dump but its not. Lots of testing is involved. It's probably worse untangling the legal knots behind some of the more obscure third party titles. Being consistent with this delivery of content has to be a challenge.

Expected for Monday (based on not getting released yet):
Super Mario World
Gain Ground

What I expect to come out in February based on what has come out in Japan:
Kid Icarus
Zelda II: AoL or OoT
Donkey Kong Country
Ice Climbers

What I expect to come out in US that hasn't been released anywhere yet:
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
Kirby's Adventure
Adventure Island game (I know Japan has one)
Galaga
Excitebike or Pro Wrestling

EDIT: This is just my speculation, not fact nor is it a lock from Douglas Bose. I gathered this based on the way Nintendo has distributed their titles (usually not 1 game from an IP per month), distribution of genres, need to put out some NES shovelware here and there, etc. They've also followed JP titles pretty closely as long as the respective title saw overseas release.

EDIT: Nearly all those games I listed are from Nintendo hardware therefore I'm probably completely off.

Zerodoppler said:
Yeah, me too. I predict a beutiful stream of european tears when the US gets SMRPG, Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy.

...and with any luck, soon after some determined German hacker will figure out how to give Euro Wii-owners access to the US/Japanese shops - c'mon, Johann get yer arse in gear! :D

Grecco

Zerodoppler said:
Yeah, me too. I predict a beutiful stream of european tears when the US gets SMRPG, Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy.

With FF6 next week i doubt we get it soon on the VC. I wouldnt mind Trigger since the PS1 Version has those terrible load times. But admitedly never mplayed smrpg (Or the N64 pseudo sequels) so i really want that soon.

maharg

idspispopd
onesvenus said:
I was hoping for perfect or improved emulation on the Wii but if there isn't a way to save on the games that used the memory pack, i won't download any more N64 games.

... surely this should only stop you from downloading games that used the memory pack?

colinp

Banned
meh, FFVIa will have a better translation which I think will negate any benefit of having FF3. Sound fidelity will be better on VC, but I think the spruced up translation will make it more beneficial.

Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, MUST COME TO VC! Please Square, make it happen!

Mario RPG would be entertaining too.

Jammy

Banned
The only thing stopping me from downloading Contra III: The Alien Wars is my lack of a Classic Controller.

Can somebody clear something up for me in Mario Kart 64? I beat the first and second cups on 50 cc and turned off the Wii. Going back into the game today shows no record of me beating those and getting the top trophy on each of them. I think in Mario Kart DS it was easy to see if you had earned a trophy or not for the cups. In here I can't tell.

Is this hidden somewhere or what?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
IAmtheFMan said:
This service is so friggin' dangerous since it's so easy to make impulse purchases. It reminds me of itunes where I'd be like "yeah a song here, a song there. What the hell they're only .99 cents" then you look at your "purchased" songlist a year later and realize that 300 some songs means that you've spent 300 dollars.

I finally showed some self-restraint today though. I've bought I think 9 games total so far, and the next game I really want that's in the pipeline is SMW, but I would also like to play a whole bunch of stuff that went up today, notably Contra III, Comix Zone, and of course MK64. I just can't keep blowing 20 some dollars each week... even though I logged on to the store and just hovered my my wiimote over the purchase button on MK64. :)
This has been what has worried me the most and kept me from even wanting to start downloading games. I'm looking at the games that have already been released and there is already about $130 I could blow on VC games. Even when I remove the games I already own in one form or another, that's still a lot of money.

I wrote down a list of all the games that I could think of that I never owned and would like to be released. 50 games in total; 45 I've never owned, 5 that I'd buy despite already owning them and this was only from the Nintendo consoles. I had some licensed games (like Ducktales*) and a few that I doubt will even get released that may never be released (*though Disney has been releasing DVD collections for these old series recently, they may be interested in re-releasing the old games related to them), still I'd be at about 40 games.

If Nintendo were to drop the price tiers down one (N64 = $8, SNES = $5, NES = $3), I think I'd crack and still spend way too much money. :(

fresquito

JJConrad said:
This has been what has worried me the most and kept me from even wanting to start downloading games. I'm looking at the games that have already been released and there is already about $130 I could blow on VC games. Even when I remove the games I already own in one form or another, that's still a lot of money.

I wrote down a list of all the games that I could think of that I never owned and would like to be released. 50 games in total; 45 I've never owned, 5 that I'd buy despite already owning them and this was only from the Nintendo consoles. I had some licensed games (like Ducktales*) and a few that I doubt will even get released that may never be released (*though Disney has been releasing DVD collections for these old series recently, they may be interested in re-releasing the old games related to them), still I'd be at about 40 games.

If Nintendo were to drop the price tiers down one (N64 = $8, SNES = $5, NES = $3), I think I'd crack and still spend way too much money. :(
My solution is easy and simple: just download what you're going to play. These game are going to be there for years, it's not like they will disappear. So buying just what you're playing, is a nice wayt to ease you some money and tears.

Up until now I've just downloaded Gunstar Heroes, and chances are that when I have a game drought, I will have something interesting to download from the VC :)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Jammy said:
Can somebody clear something up for me in Mario Kart 64? I beat the first and second cups on 50 cc and turned off the Wii. Going back into the game today shows no record of me beating those and getting the top trophy on each of them. I think in Mario Kart DS it was easy to see if you had earned a trophy or not for the cups. In here I can't tell.

Start up a Mario GP like normal. When you get to the Cup selection screen (after the character select), click on whatever cup you have already beat. Before you hit it again to accept look above the 4 course pictures. Your trophy should be displayed.

fresquito

What was the final word on Military Madness? I've seen some videos, and it looks like a AW clone (maybe AW is a clone of MM, mind you), which is great news.

I'd like to know about the longevity of the title and its pros and cons. Has anyone played it?

Banned
MK64 will always be my favorite, solely for nostalgic reasons. ahh those all nighters with a bottle of jack, a case of beer & a room full of friends with this game, golden eye & International Super Star Soccer!

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Umm, I just remembered one of my favorite childhood games. Anyone remember Castle of Illusion, Starring Mickey Mouse? It was my 2nd Genesis game, and I actually liked it alot more than Sonic. I really hope someone diggs this gem up for the VC. Dozo-
Mickey%20Mouse%20-%20Castle%20Of%20Illusion%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

Vard

Are you sure?

I only did one race in Time Trials. I quit the game by going back to the Wii Menu and then started the game again to see if my time was there. It was.

muramura said:
Umm, I just remembered one of my favorite childhood games. Anyone remember Castle of Illusion, Starring Mickey Mouse? It was my 2nd Genesis game, and I actually liked it alot more than Sonic. I really hope someone diggs this gem up for the VC. Dozo- QUOTE]

OMFG...not only that was my 2nd genesis game too, but that was also my childhood favorite right after pitfall mayan adventures.......if both of those games come to the VC....nintendo wins.

I think most of the Square-Enix SNES games will make it out eventually; some just not anytime soon, notably FFIV and FFVI. However, I can see a couple years down the line when they've milked the handheld market dry of most who would buy it, to then go ahead and announce it for VC.

SMRPG I'm pretty sure has already been rated by the ESRB so it's just a matter of time there. And while Chrono Trigger would be awesome (screw the PS1 5-7 second pause before starting battle) what I'm really waiting for is Secret of Mana considering how easy it would be to get a multitap game of that going. And while we're at it, go ahead and give me Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma too.

Glass Joe

Sp3eD said:
Start up a Mario GP like normal. When you get to the Cup selection screen (after the character select), click on whatever cup you have already beat. Before you hit it again to accept look above the 4 course pictures. Your trophy should be displayed.

i dunno, this wasn't my question, but i'm not seeing anything either, after getting a lot of golds on 50cc and 100cc. the ghost data i was warned about and am cool with, but this is just weird, unless i'm missing it.

also, anyone know if that last cup, special was always available from the start? or the 150cc class? or did you have to unlock them? because it starts you with everything (maybe it always did though).

it does seem to save time trial data okay, from the test i've done on it.

Jammy

Banned
Ah... Wow. I must have been blind.

Anyhow, I see my Time Trial times have been saved. What are people complaining about exactly?

fresquito said:
What was the final word on Military Madness? I've seen some videos, and it looks like a AW clone (maybe AW is a clone of MM, mind you), which is great news.

I'd like to know about the longevity of the title and its pros and cons. Has anyone played it?

It's very close to Advance Wars (or Famicom Wars). Maybe more puzzle oriented because you can always capture factories on a single turn, and they only give you the units that are inside the factory at the moment you capture them.

Glass Joe said:
also, anyone know if that last cup, special was always available from the start? or the 150cc class? or did you have to unlock them? because it starts you with everything (maybe it always did though).
Those were available from the get-go, but they're not everything exactly.

muramura said:
Umm, I just remembered one of my favorite childhood games. Anyone remember Castle of Illusion, Starring Mickey Mouse? It was my 2nd Genesis game, and I actually liked it alot more than Sonic. I really hope someone diggs this gem up for the VC. Dozo-
Yep, that was one sweet game. I was blown away at that time. Great music, great gfx, great fun. would be sweet if Sega brings this to VC. Aladdin was another great Disney game on the Genesis/Mega Drive-the animations were unbelievable at that time.

bengraven

I think everyone has their favorite Mario Kart. I think we should almost leave it at that. Not that I'm never up for furious debate...

(MK64 is the best one ever and one of my favorite games of all time)

Banned
muramura said:
Umm, I just remembered one of my favorite childhood games. Anyone remember Castle of Illusion, Starring Mickey Mouse? It was my 2nd Genesis game, and I actually liked it alot more than Sonic. I really hope someone diggs this gem up for the VC.

Yeah, that game was great! Was just reading one of my old megadrive magazines that had a big review on it. Good times. Was around the time of Flashback, which blew my mind as well at the time

fresquito

SpoonyBard said:
It's very close to Advance Wars (or Famicom Wars). Maybe more puzzle oriented because you can always capture factories on a single turn, and they only give you the units that are inside the factory at the moment you capture them.
Can you tell me a bit more about the game? Lasting appeal pros and cons, and the like? Thanks in advance.

Valtox

fresquito said:
Can you tell me a bit more about the game? Lasting appeal pros and cons, and the like? Thanks in advance.
It plays like AW but is some way different: there are MORE strategic elements to consider when attacking. If you surround an enemy unit you'll get more attack power, also the terrain you attack from is important.
The pros: it's even better than AW, and harder.
The cons: when the screen scrolls the music slows down a bit.

Rlan

Just to stir some discussion up, I went back and grabbed the spreadsheet from the VC sales thread done by Saoh on the 24th of January. On the 25th, it was announced that over 1.5 million VC games had been sold.

This is probably completely off the mark, unless we get someone like dementia [or SOMEONE, ANYONE] telling us any sales data. It would be awesome if Gunstar or Bonk were near the top.

Anyhow:

saleszm1.png

That's a lot of money.

fresquito

Valtox said:
It plays like AW but is some way different: there are MORE strategic elements to consider when attacking. If you surround an enemy unit you'll get more attack power, also the terrain you attack from is important.
The pros: it's even better than AW, and harder.
The cons: when the screen scrolls the music slows down a bit.
That sounds awesome. How long is the game (are there different dificulties or ranks ala AW?

Valtox

No ranks, I don't know if you can unlock something like a hard campaign after beating the game, cause I didn't finish it yet.
I would like to link the Official Military Madness Wii VC Thread but I'm posting from Wii and there's no way to do it. Do a search, lots of info there. :)

Jiggy

Valtox said:
Maybe I'm misreading an inference into what you're saying, but the terrain is important in AW as well.

And I don't know if I'd call it more strategic, anyway. There is the CO factor in AW, where you at times want to withhold offense just so the enemy's powers get delayed another turn, and also first strikes matter (as they don't seem to in MM). Maybe the two could be called equally strategic, in different ways.

Rlan said:
Just to stir some discussion up, I went back and grabbed the spreadsheet from the VC sales thread done by Saoh on the 24th of January. On the 25th, it was announced that over 1.5 million VC games had been sold.

This is probably completely off the mark, unless we get someone like dementia [or SOMEONE, ANYONE] telling us any sales data. It would be awesome if Gunstar or Bonk were near the top.

Anyhow:

saleszm1.png

That's a lot of money.

I was hoping someone would do this! It may not be 100% accurate in terms of where each game is ranked, but the total $ figures is probably pretty close.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jarrod said:
I want Dragon's Curse, Beyond Oasis and Neutopia asap!

Hells yeah, me too! Add Neutopia 2 to that list, I haven't played that one yet. I'm sure we'll be seeing the Neutopia games over here eventually.

Christopher

Rlan said:

Anyhow:

saleszm1.png

That's a lot of money.

....why?

Anyway that Micky Mouse game on Sega sucked dude, the SNES one was wayyy better

Bloodwake

So, any guesses on what drops next week?

I would say some Genesis games (Streets of Rage) and either Donkey Kong Country or Mario World.... Nintendo Power, don't fail us now.

I would say we will get both of those in the next month, and then it REALLY WILL be a long time before something else comes out (because some good Wii releases are slated for March/April (Sonic, Super Paper Mario)

Bloodwake said:
So, any guesses on what drops next week?

I'm guessing Ice Climber (NES), Gain Ground (GEN), and Bio-Hazard Battle (GEN) for Monday.

I find it difficult to believe that Nintendo would release two high profile SNES platformers in the same month. Ocarina of Time & Super Mario World will be Nintendo's main titles for February, with maybe a dash of Kid Icarus as well. Still, it's odd that Donkey Kong Country was a launch title in Europe and still hasn't hit North America yet.

Doh I didn't read the post right before yours...sorry levious

Anyway licensing issues will probably keep Sega/Disney games from VC for awhile. Then again who knows.

edit: I'm a moron btw

Top Bottom