• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Drensch said:
I bet it's you and not nintendo. Try putting your router on ch 11.
I've got similar problems. The Wii Shop Channel seems to have a poor random chance of connecting and will sometimes drop once I'm there, but the Forecast/News/Internet Channels never seem to have any trouble.

I was actually planning on getting Dungeon Explorer a couple weeks back, but I couldn't get connected at the time. My ~10 attempts today for the purpose of MK64 have been failures, too.

dyls

JoshuaJSlone said:
I've got similar problems. The Wii Shop Channel seems to have a poor random chance of connecting and will sometimes drop once I'm there, but the Forecast/News/Internet Channels never seem to have any trouble.

I was actually planning on getting Dungeon Explorer a couple weeks back, but I couldn't get connected at the time. My ~10 attempts today for the purpose of MK64 have been failures, too.

The router channel to 11 thing helped me a lot, although I still have the occasional problem. I find that using the soft reset of the Wii Shop (through the home menu) seems to help, for whatever reason.

suaveric

So did we ever find out what happens when you fill up all the channels on the Wii? Can it be done yet with all the games available?

Branduil

Cyan said:
Yes. Let's compare.

MKDD
Good:
-Less powerful rubberband for the AI
-Cleaner graphics
-Semi-decent Rainbow Road

Bad:
-Stupid two racer gimmick
-Overpowered items
-Unplayable battle mode
-Kart and item selection only difference between drivers
-No jumping

MK64
Good:
-Awesome battle mode
-More great tracks
-Differentiation in drivers
-Better item use/fewer overpowered items
-Jumping ability
-Can save yourself after hitting a banana

Bad:
-Rubberband AI
-Rainbow Road

How do you "save youself" after hitting a banana?

mutsu

To me, Mario Kart 64 beats Mario Kart Double Dash hands down.

For some reason, DD just felt really boring. 64 was really really challenging. It just requires more skills. DD was too focused on two drivers and different karts that it just ruined the whole experience.

This is just my opinion anyway.

But yeah, I feel Mario Kart DS is definitely the best Mario Kart. Beats SNES one in my opinion.

Mejilan said:
Started fiddling with my VC downloads for the first time today:

1) Holy hell, I had forgotten how hideous Super Castlevania IV was. But oh that music... :)

2) Looks like Legend of Zelda NES uses the revamped translation from the NES Classics GBA release, no? Also, it has the Up + Select save menu access. Was that in the original NES game? I thought dying was the only way to bring up the save menu.

3) Looks like Link to the Past uses the SNES script, not the revamped GBA script. Pity. I suppose that all of the GBA extras (new dungeon, new side quest, new sword skill, green magic stones, Link voices and grunts, tweaked graphics, and revamped inventory) are all out too, huh?

4) I had forgotten how cruddy Military Madness' interface was.

5) I had forgotten how insane the action in Gunstar Heroes was!

I <3 VC :)

What was changed?

And you could save in the original NES game by pressing some combo of buttons on player 2's controller.

keanerie

mutsu said:
To me, Mario Kart 64 beats Mario Kart Double Dash hands down.

For some reason, DD just felt really boring. 64 was really really challenging. It just requires more skills. DD was too focused on two drivers and different karts that it just ruined the whole experience.

This is just my opinion anyway.

But yeah, I feel Mario Kart DS is definitely the best Mario Kart. Beats SNES one in my opinion.

Holy crap, I need to play MKDS.

So... anyone buy Comix Zone? If so, how is it? I'm torn between it and Contra III: The Alien Wars (both games I've never played before, by the by).

i'm waiting to hear about comix zone too. i bought contra III, and it's the real deal holyfield. but i kind of feel like buying comix zone after reading about it. anyone?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Comic Zone is awesome, but harder than a muther****er as some points. But one of my favorite games on the genesis in my younger days

Damn, normally I'd just get both games, but I have 1500 Wii Points at the moment, meaning I can only afford one. That's right, 100 freakin' points shy.

I'm curious, how does MK 64 look in 4 player split screen on a large HD TV? That was always one issue I had with the games back then. I had a 25 inch TV, and when you try to play 4 player split screen, it was sometimes hard to see things in the distant.

Narag

Segata Sanshiro said:
Comix Zone is good, Contra III is way better. Buy Contra III first. Get Comix Zone sometime later.

Seconding this.

The classic controller feels so perfect with Contra III. I'd used it for other games and enjoyed it quite a bit but just wow at great it is playing a hardcore action title.

Rotanibor

While comix zone is pretty hard like people have said, the actual game itself is so fun and has so much style that you honestly don't care that you die a lot.

The music is some of the best I've heard in a game before.

Deku

Banned
Narag said:
Seconding this.

The classic controller feels so perfect with Contra III. I'd used it for other games and enjoyed it quite a bit but just wow at great it is playing a hardcore action title.

Yeah I kinda wish that classic controller outlives the Wii in someway and finds itself compatible with Wii2.

If there wasn't a Wiimote, I would have said the classic controller is the best controller Nintendo has designed in a generation. It's also aesthetically pleasing, none of that kidney bean button or trident nonesense.

Rlan

I've started playing Gunstar Heroes with a friend of mine, and we're having a lot of fun. I'm tempted to get a second classic controller so I can buy and enjoy Super Probotector with him.

Watching the Retronauts bonus stage show, Gunstar looks a hell of a lot faster than it is in Europe :( I hope they actually fix the emulation for 60Hz, those SEGA bastards. Is Super Probotector speed-corrected and/or fullscreen like other SNES PAL games on the VC?

i haven't seen the classic controller around much to be honest with you. i ordered mine from amazon.com a week ago, but it's out of stock now. it's been in and out of stock for a while.

p.s. a little off topic but wtf you can't preorder wiiplay anywhere now!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Deku said:
If there wasn't a Wiimote, I would have said the classic controller is the best controller Nintendo has designed in a generation. It's also aesthetically pleasing, none of that kidney bean button or trident nonesense.

Eh... I'm mixed. While the Classic Controller is great for NES/SNES type games, it stinks for N64 titles; the joystick layout is just too clumsy for any sort of comfortable control. I find myself using the Wavebird for SM64 and MK64, the Wii Remote for NES/T16 and some Genesis games, and the Classic Controller just for a few Genesis/SNES titles.

Is it impossible to create a controller that works just as well in joystick mode as it does joypad mode?

Boonoo

I was at Walmart earlier tonight and there must have been a good eight or so Classic Controllers (no Wiimotes or Nunchuks, though); I assume that they got them in with the shipment of Wiis on Sunday. If you're looking for one you might want to check it out.

Pud

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Eh... I'm mixed. While the Classic Controller is great for NES/SNES type games, it stinks for N64 titles; the joystick layout is just too clumsy for any sort of comfortable control. I find myself using the Wavebird for SM64 and MK64, the Wii Remote for NES/T16 and some Genesis games, and the Classic Controller just for a few Genesis/SNES titles.

Is it impossible to create a controller that works just as well in joystick mode as it does joypad mode?

I agree with this. I couldn't properly play Mario Kart 64 with the CC... it didn't feel right. It felt MUCH better with the Wavebird. That said, all my SNES/Genesis titles play and feel great with the CC. And I would probably play TG/NES games with the CC too, if it weren't for sheer laziness (the Wiimote alone handles them just fine).

Ok, here's a question: assuming I'm in the mood for a run & gun game, haven't bought either of them and only want to get 1 for now, which is better, Contra 3 or Gunstar Heroes?

As soon as my bank stops dicking around with my account I'll be able to take advantage of this awesome update. 'till then, R-Type III beckons me.

BuddyC

Donkey Thong said:
Ok, here's a question: assuming I'm in the mood for a run & gun game, haven't bought either of them and only want to get 1 for now, which is better, Contra 3 or Gunstar Heroes?
Contra, you typically die after one hit.

Gunstar, you have a life bar that's a bit more forgiving.

Personally, I find Contra more frustrating, it's almost more of a traditional side-scrolling shooter (careful evasion of incoming shots, memorization of enemy location and patterns), whereas Gunstar is more relaxed and creative in its approach.

I've got Comix Zone on my PS2 Genesis Collection, but am wondering if the emulation is better on the Wii. Is there anyone who's tried both?

On the PS2 there's a bit of glitch, like a horizontal line that tears across the screen during the post-mission briefing (the superhero pic). Anything like that on the Wii?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So apparently if you run out of channels for VC games, you have to move games to an SD card or delete them to free up space to be able to d/l new ones. That really sucks, Nintendo really needs to fix this soon...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Mistouze said:
You must be joking or have never tried to play a fighting game on Dreamcast, the D-Pad was utter crap, really.

The D-pad was great actually. It was the rest of the controller that worked against it.

So, is N64 games as good as the VC thing'll get? Any arcade releases? I finally got my Wii online last night and perused the VC games on offer. I was pretty dissappointed (although I was looking for something along the lines of Sin & Punishment).

I have a question about N64 games and 480p. I'm in PAL land and after noticing how sharp Mario 64 looked through my projector I checked to see what signal it was receiving and I could have sworn it was 480p. Then I purchased MK64 and clocked that it isn't running in 480p. Went back to Mario and clocked that according to my Projector that isn't 480p either (although I really did think it was the last time I looked).

So can anyone clarify...480p for the N64? Is it happening? Is it US only or PAL also, and is it for both games? Any answers you provide might stop me going insane....thanks

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Slartibartfast said:
So can anyone clarify...480p for the N64? Is it happening? Is it US only or PAL also, and is it for both games? Any answers you provide might stop me going insane....thanks

I think it's 480p in US and 576i in EU since Wii doesn't support 576p.

john tv

Mejilan said:
2) Looks like Legend of Zelda NES uses the revamped translation from the NES Classics GBA release, no? Also, it has the Up + Select save menu access. Was that in the original NES game? I thought dying was the only way to bring up the save menu.
The only thing they tweaked was the opening scroll, no?

As for the save menu access, it was in the NES version. Had to use Controller 2. Works in Zelda II as well, I believe.

DavidDayton said:
Same here. Handles and the overall shape make the GameCube controller more comfortable, and I prefer the way the sticks act. For N64 games where A and B are the main action buttons, the GCN big-A little-B works well, and the B/Y gap isn't an issue.

Gigglepoo

Mistouze said:
You must be joking or have never tried to play a fighting game on Dreamcast, the D-Pad was utter crap, really.

Wait, what? Marvel vs Capcom 2 was incredible. I had no problem executed super moves and the like.

Gigglepoo said:
Wait, what? Marvel vs Capcom 2 was incredible. I had no problem executed super moves and the like.

Well considering most of the super moves only required a fireball motion then yeah no problem.
The DC d-pad was terrible for anything else.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well considering most of the super moves only required a fireball motion then yeah no problem.
The DC d-pad was terrible for anything else.

I can't think of a motion that was difficult on that pad. Dragon punch motion was fine, even Guile's super in SF2Turbo was fine. Like DCB said above, it's the button layout that killed it for the most part for fighting games. Dual Shock dpad was horrible for fighting games. DC pad was nice and loose. The relatively sharp corners on the dpad was the main negative.

Glass Joe

i'm quite surprised how little love the NES has gotten. so far the only real "must have" seems to be Super Mario Bros. 1... and I suppose The Legend Of Zelda (which I have on the GC compilation).

jarrod

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
The Marvel fighters had more forgiving input registers (and MCV2 even moreso than MVC1 at that)... try playing SFA3 on a DC, it's a thumb shredding nightmare for any serious fighters. I'm still shocked how they went from the near perfection of Saturn's d-pad to that abortion of a controller.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Gigglepoo said:

Really? Sure MvC2 was incredible (as far as a Capcom fighting game can be...) but I was more fighting against the D-pad than my opponent!

Does anyone remembers seeing around E3 06 pictures of classic controllers attachment for the Wiimote? I mean NES, SNES, N64 and Megadrive (Genesis) controllers meant to be used on the Wiimote. I can't remember if it was something official from Nintendo or just a fan made picture. That would be soooo cool!

I haven't bought yet any N64 games for the VC due to doubts regarding the CC and people begin to complain...What will I do when Majora's Mask will come out!?

To sum it all if you're at all serious about playing fighting games on a console I suggest investing in a decent stick. If you'd rather stick to a pad then invest in a Saturn one. Whether it's the PS2 Saturn pads(kind of expensive now though. :/ ) or by using some sort of adaptor that is the only way to go.

The DC and for that matter the PS2 pad are two of the worst controllers for fighting games IMO. Lousy button setups, shitty d-pads, and the design of them just does not flow well with most fighters.

And wow this is way OT.

So that said, I really want to try the Wii classic controller out, shame I can't even find a system but eh. I also still have my Hori SNES GC pad..shame the button placement resembles the GC and not the SNES.

ethelred

Some random stats, in the event anyone's curious about this kind of trivial stuff:

VC Breakdown by System
NES 15 32.61%
Genesis 12 26.09%
TurboGrafx 16 10 21.74%
Super NES 7 15.22%
Nintendo 64 2 4.35%

Average # of Weekly releases (excluding launch titles): 3.40
Number of VC games at the end of 2007 if this average is maintained (rounded up): 206

It's interesting to me that TurboGrafx and Genesis currently make up the tiniest bit under 50% of the total VC library -- Nintendo's giving these two consoles way more breathing room than I would've expected prior to launch. It's also interesting that if you look at the games as broken down by publisher, while Nintendo has a plurality at 37%, they're way under a majority position -- lots of room being given to, again, Sega, Hudson, Konami and the like.

Top Bottom