• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Now our VC line up is starting to suck less.

Seriously though, people are going to sya this week sucks as well, so its not like Nintendo is going to win this one...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Bootaaay said:
Wtffffffffff - ffs NOE, where the hell is Europe's Super Mario World? Or how about Link to the past already? Christ! They delay releases of Wii games like Excite Truck, Trauma Center and Elebits, you think the least they could do would be to pack the VC with titles to make up for the woefull lack of games worth purchasing, but nooooooooooooooooooo. They should be giving us exclusive VC titles, or at least managing to keep the EU VC up-to date with the NA one.

Europe got Mario Kart 64 3 days before the US, and the US still doesn't have Donkey Kong Country.

We'll probably get one out of SMW or LttP next Friday. Stop the ranting already: before today's update, Europe had precisely the same amount of VC games as the US.

tim1138

Finally, Super Mario World! I've had 800 points set aside since launch waiting for it to be released. I know Yoshis Island gets a lot of love, but for my money this is 2d platforming perfection.

Super Mario World will be mine when I wake up! :D

Lucky I still have 800 points exactly, kept em for future special release (well, technically I could have just added more with CC, but ya know what I mean). :D

traveler

Not Wario
tim1138 said:
Finally, Super Mario World! I've had 800 points set aside since launch waiting for it to be released. I know Yoshis Island gets a lot of love, but for my money this is 2d platforming perfection.

I'm afraid it is there that you are wrong, sir. Super Mario Bros. 3 holds that title.

tim1138

traveler said:
I'm afraid it is there that you are wrong, sir. Super Mario Bros. 3 holds that title.

Don't get me wrong, I love SMB 3 and will gladly purchase it again on the VC. But for reasons I cannot explain SMW holds a special place in my gamers heart as my favorite 2d Mario game.

Bootaaay said:
Wtffffffffff - ffs NOE, where the hell is Europe's Super Mario World? Or how about Link to the past already? Christ! They delay releases of Wii games like Excite Truck, Trauma Center and Elebits, you think the least they could do would be to pack the VC with titles to make up for the woefull lack of games worth purchasing, but nooooooooooooooooooo. They should be giving us exclusive VC titles, or at least managing to keep the EU VC up-to date with the NA one.

Going off memory, but aren't we tracking just a week or two behind most of the US releases? And in some cases - Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart 64 or Super Probotector - we have had games ahead of our friends across the pond.

SMW is only out today, and LttP has been out for two weeks - given the length of time it took for those games to come to the US following their Japanese VC release, I don't think Europe is in too bad a position.

The real complaint about Euro VC games - as always - is shoddy PAL conversions and IMO it's that, not a delay of a week or two, that PAL gamers should be really upset about...

Myke Greywolf said:
Europe got Mario Kart 64 3 days before the US, and the US still doesn't have Donkey Kong Country.

We'll probably get one out of SMW or LttP next Friday. Stop the ranting already: before today's update, Europe had precisely the same amount of VC games as the US.

A whole 3 days early?! Golly gosh, thats awesome! :rolleyes: And i'd trade DKC for either SMW or LttP anyday. The fact is that we have to wait an innordinate ammount of time for Wii games that are already released in the US to come out over here - yet Microsoft have managed to cut the gap down between NA and EU releases to 2 weeks to a month, so why is this so hard for Nintendo? My point is that to make up for NOEs slowness in getting Wii software in stores, the least they could do is keep us up to date with the NA Virtual Console.

And i'll rant as much as I want. Theres a whole load of games i'd be willing to spend my £ on but the fact is that none of them are actually available here, meanwhile my Wii sits collecting yet another weeks worth of dust. I've bought many consoles at launch, yet the Wii is the only one left sitting un-used after two weeks. I just desperately want a reason to actually turn the goddamn waste of money on.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Myke Greywolf said:
You know, there are actually other non-VC games on the Wii that you can play, and even have a lot of fun with.

yeah like excite truck.

oh wait, europe doesn't have that either :/

Dr_Cogent

Banned
cryingbabyiu3.gif

Quit yer damn crying whiners. Shit takes time and there are obviously decisions made to maximize profits that may result in some people waiting.

Myke Greywolf said:
You know, there are actually other non-VC games on the Wii that you can play, and even have a lot of fun with.

Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Zelda - completed in a week
Wii Sports - got bored of in a week
Red Steel - just terrible, took it back to the store
Trauma Center - oh, it's not out over here yet
Excite Truck - dito
Elebits - dito
Super Monkeyball/Rayman/Wario - mini-games, no thanks.

If the Wii was region free like the DS I probally wouldn't have a problem, as I import all my DS games and then stare in wonder when they turn up in shops about 4 months later thinking to myself *how the hell does it seriousley take this long*.

Bootaaay said:

Excite Truck - dito
Elebits - dito

If the Wii was region free like the DS I probally wouldn't have a problem, as I import all my DS games and then stare in wonder when they turn up in shops about 4 months later thinking to myself *how the hell does it seriousley take this long*.

ummmmmmmm...

Bootaaay said:

Excite Truck - dito
Elebits - dito

cant_be_serious_lg.jpg

Core Zero

This seems the best place to ask...

Has there been any news of bringing the 5000 points + ClassicCon to the US? I'd really like to see that deal. Was it just a rumor?

LakeEarth

To be fair, almost all hype for Monkey Ball Wii was all about the mini-games, and they BARELY talked about the 1 player stuff.

Is the TG16 version of Vigilante the best one or something?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bootaaay said:

Uhm, well then, here's the deal: you should stop gaming. Not only did you play it a lot that "week", but you act as if it was some short run through.

It's made for multiplayer. No way you can get bored if you invite people over to play.

First off, uh, SMB isn't "mini-games". It's a full fledged single player game along with a shitton of mini-games. Rayman? Eh, above average, nothing amazing.

But you're just labeling Wario as "mini games, lame". What's wrong with mini-game games if they are compiled in an interesting manner (such as Wario) and are fun (such as Wario).

jarrod

Banned
LakeEarth said:
To be fair, almost all hype for Monkey Ball Wii was all about the mini-games, and they BARELY talked about the 1 player stuff.
Probably because the 1player game is f-ed.

Death to Banana Blitz, all hail Kororinpa!

omg rite said:
Uhm, well then, here's the deal: you should stop gaming. Not only did you play it a lot that "week", but you act as if it was some short run through.

New Zelda + time of work for the holidays = yeah, completed Zelda in a week, didn't seem that long. Not in comparison to the time I put into playing other games...Elder Scrolls for example.

omg rite said:
It's made for multiplayer. No way you can get bored if you invite people over to play.

Heres a news flash - not everyones the same as you. Personally, me and my friends quickly gravitated back to playing Pro Evolution rather than Wii sports.

omg rite said:
But you're just labeling Wario as "mini games, lame". What's wrong with mini-game games if they are compiled in an interesting manner (such as Wario) and are fun (such as Wario).

Theres nothing wrong with mini-games, however i'm looking for somthing with a bit of substance that's going to last longer than a week.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Super Mario World is rather difficult to control with the Gamecube controller. I should probably go ahead and get a classic controller.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Bootaay, if the Wii sucks so much for you, put it on eBay. They go for as much as 400 bucks. You can sell your system to someone who wants it, and buy 30-40 200 hour JRPGs to satiate your gamerlust.

Jammy

Banned
Well, the one time I actually get the Wii Shop Channel to work fine it was only like 10:30 a.m. here (and the games didn't come up until noon).

I guess I'll just wait. A friend picked up a Classic Controller for me and I won't be getting that for another three weeks.

Archie said:
Super Mario World is rather difficult to control with the Gamecube controller. I should probably go ahead and get a classic controller.

Buy it. You won't regret it. I bought it for kicks and honestly, i'm not regretting it.
The tradition shape and button placement just work better for many games and the d-pad is the best since SNES.

NeonZ

Has the NES Contra gotten a VC release, or is only Contra III avaliable?

Theres nothing wrong with mini-games, however i'm looking for somthing with a bit of substance that's going to last longer than a week.

Wait... So, Zelda had no substance...?

Gain Ground and Vigilante. Sweet. Not knockin' SMW, but I've played that one way too many times. Though having the Star Road back in action after it went AWOL in the GBA is nice.

Somebody get Bootay out of there. He's picked the wrong thread to troll the Wii.

Great VC update btw. Still no Wii though. These things are bastards to find. :(
Hopefully Yoshi's Island gets on VC soon. I can't get into the GBA release at all. Then again I couldn't get into part 2 either..maybe it's just not my game. :/

LakeEarth

Count Dookkake said:
Gain Ground and Vigilante. Sweet. Not knockin' SMW, but I've played that one way too many times. Though having the Star Road back in action after it went AWOL in the GBA is nice.
WTF, Star Road was missing in the GBA version? No hell that is tubular? :(

I don't see how someone could get bored with Wii Sports in only a week. It is by far one of the most enjoyable and accessibly games I've played in years. Plus the interface is dead simple, making it very inviting for short gameplay sessions.

Also, Don't compare the plague that is Super Monkey Ball Wii to the brilliant Rayman. Rayman doesn't have the manic set-up of Wario Ware, but the mini-games beat the hell out of it any day (I'm sorry Smooth Moves doesn't have near the depth of Rayman). And the mini-games in Monkey Ball Wii are near unplayable.

Christopher

the same shit with Alttp and now in Super Mario World, one of the sound channels is out - you can notice it on Dinosaur Island and when you go into castles.

Hell if I pay for roms I want PERFECT emulation, **** this.

Weird. For some reason I thought Star Road was missing. Does the GBA version have the second quest as well after you beat Star Road? If so, then I am going to go crazy trying to figure out what game it is I am thinking of that is missing that kind of extra. Perhaps my cart was somehow corrupted.

Strangely enough, Gain Ground is even better than I remembered it. It is one of the few games that I am better at now that I am older. Might have something to do with having more patience and not trying to run in guns blazing. Can't wait to play co-op with my brother.

Narag

I thought the sound issue in LttP was shown to exist in the original SNES cart but few ever encountered it due to the majority of owners using the RF switch. Is it the same case with SMW?

D3RANG3D

Narag said:
I thought the sound issue in LttP was shown to exist in the original SNES cart but few ever encountered it due to the majority of owners using the RF switch. Is it the same case with SMW?

It does exist in the original game when hooked up with the av cables that much I can vouch for. I wouldn't doubt it though if it was the same with SMW.

Memles

Having to play SMW with my forefinger and middle finger is really awkward, but it's the best way I can find. I just was able to access it from school for the first time today, downloaded SMW and LttP, shall enjoy myself further this evening.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Christopher said:
the same shit with Alttp and now in Super Mario World, one of the sound channels is out - you can notice it on Dinosaur Island and when you go into castles.

Hell if I pay for roms I want PERFECT emulation, **** this.

It is perfect emulation, and that's why you're getting this problem. It was present in the original version, if you used your SNES with AV cables.

I hope you're happy now. :)

D3RANG3D said:
It does exist in the original game when hooked up with the av cables that much I can vouch for. I wouldn't doubt it though if it was the same with SMW.

This is very much the case. Unforunately, Christopher, they have gone for perfect emulation. This was just something that was ****ed to begin with.

Sigh...I'm doing the dance again this week. So far, half hour just trying to connect. The closest I got was it letting me buy points, but it crashed halfway through that. Last week it took me three hours to get two games, with it stopping so much. This week is not looking a whole lot better so far.

Was it that hard to do what MS and Sony did?

Gio_CoD

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
This is very much the case. Unforunately, Christopher, they have gone for perfect emulation. This was just something that was ****ed to begin with.

Sigh...I'm doing the dance again this week. So far, half hour just trying to connect. The closest I got was it letting me buy points, but it crashed halfway through that. Last week it took me three hours to get two games, with it stopping so much. This week is not looking a whole lot better so far.

Was it that hard to do what MS and Sony did?
Have you tried switching your wireless channel to either 1 or 11? I know it sounds stupid, but I had the exact same problem as you, and after I switched the channel the Wii worked fine.

Yeah, I tried jumping the channel around last week. It didn't help any. This is ****ing ridiculous. I could download a file the size of Mario World in the time it takes for this shop to connect, 20 times over.

Haleon said:
Have you tried switching your wireless channel to either 1 or 11? I know it sounds stupid, but I had the exact same problem as you, and after I switched the channel the Wii worked fine.
This fixed my problem as well, also switching to mixed mode (wireless b/g), instead of just only g mode. I suspect the Wii's cheapo wireless adapter is more susceptible to interference than PS3/360.

Jammy

Banned
The Wavebird is ass for Super Mario World. I have to clutch the left hand of the controller weirdly to use the D-Pad and then had some claw-like thing going for the other half.

So what's my prize for successfully predicting today's VC release? Nintendo BOHICA ftl.

In regards to EU VC, the junky PAL conversions are perfectly understandable complaints. In regards to release schedule, I don't think there is anything to complain about however. Japan will always be ahead of both (due to all the non-localized games), but NA and EU VC have basically the same amount of games out. Yes EU hasn't gotten SMW or LTTP yet but it got MK64, Contra III, DKC, and so on earlier. I don't think American VC is being given preference at all and each region is getting some games before others. Australia is definitely getting shafted though.

fresquito

I finally downloaded Military Madness and have played the first mission.

My first impressions are very good. It plays much like Advance Wars, so anyone into that series will feel at home here. The support and restriction of movement to nearby enemies are nice additions though. Graphics are god awful, but don't interfere too much in the playing.

It seems like yet another worthwhile purchase :)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EphemeralDream said:
So what's my prize for successfully predicting today's VC release? Nintendo BOHICA ftl.

In regards to EU VC, the junky PAL conversions are perfectly understandable complaints. In regards to release schedule, I don't think there is anything to complain about however. Japan will always be ahead of both (due to all the non-localized games), but NA and EU VC have basically the same amount of games out. Yes EU hasn't gotten SMW or LTTP yet but it got MK64, Contra III, DKC, and so on earlier. I don't think American VC is being given preference at all and each region is getting some games before others. Australia is definitely getting shafted though.

We have a huge 36 games out, you guys have abour 50 something. Yep we're rooted

Top Bottom