• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Memles

Jammy said:
The Wavebird is ass for Super Mario World. I have to clutch the left hand of the controller weirdly to use the D-Pad and then had some claw-like thing going for the other half.

I've had to resort to using the analog stick and then my fore and middle fingers on B and Y. It is hideously uncomfortable, so I'm focusing on LttP in the meantime.

dyls

VOOK said:
We have a huge 36 games out, you guys have abour 50 something. Yep we're rooted

I'm not sure what you're avatar is getting at. I don't know how you can argue that there aren't any good games on the VC at this point.

Segata Sanshiro said:
This is very much the case. Unforunately, Christopher, they have gone for perfect emulation. This was just something that was ****ed to begin with.

Sigh...I'm doing the dance again this week. So far, half hour just trying to connect. The closest I got was it letting me buy points, but it crashed halfway through that. Last week it took me three hours to get two games, with it stopping so much. This week is not looking a whole lot better so far.

Was it that hard to do what MS and Sony did?

It has to be your connection. I downloaded SMW at about twenty minutes before your post and had no problems. In and out in less than 3 minutes.

EphemeralDream said:
Australia is definitely getting shafted though.
VOOK said:
We have a huge 36 games out, you guys have abour 50 something. Yep we're rooted

EU VC is only 3 games behind NA VC and they haven't gotten their weekly release yet. I wasn't talking about Australia in my post.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Wow.....this is really aggravating. I went out and bought a wavebird just so I could play the VC games wirelessly. I already own 5 official GCN games, but the possibility of totally wireless gameplay was exciting to me. It's worked great on every single game I've downloaded....and now SMW comes out and it's absolute crap. I really wish nintendo would allow you to remap the controller scheme because my finger is getting crazy sore trying to play it on the wavebird.

I've never complained about a singe decision nintendo has made, but wow they are really trying to force their customers to buy this new classic controller and I don't like it.

Ehn, any other day of the week it's in and out for me, too. Mondays just plain suck for it for me, and I don't have this problem with any of the myriad devices I use with my connection aside from the Wii. It really doesn't help that it has to load so many pages. They need to at least give the option of switching to a straight up list format with no fanfare or screenshots, especially as the number of games available increases.

I always do end up getting the game, but not without a lot of aggravation. If *anything* else in my network behaved this way, I'd think it was likely my problem, but between my Wii and Nintendo's server for the shop channel, there be problems. I had to hard power-down the Wii three times tonight...I really hate doing that.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EphemeralDream said:
EU VC is only 3 games behind NA VC and they haven't gotten their weekly release yet. I wasn't talking about Australia in my post.
EphemeralDream said:
Australia is definitely getting shafted though.

So eh? Talking about or AU not? Cos we are getting Shafted, No T16

dyls said:
I'm not sure what you're avatar is getting at. I don't know how you can argue that there aren't any good games on the VC at this point.

It says "Good VC Games?" And there is a pig flying, that means there is good VC Games not the opposite. Its a positive thing, maybe Its a bit unclear >_>

mosaic

go eat paint
Is anyone else having troubling buying/adding Wii points today? I've tried with 3 different debit / credit cards and every time it says "your billing address information is incorrect."

WTF... I've used 2 of the cards to buy points previously!

Edit: After putting google to work, I found a workaround... set your system country to Brazil. Seriously. I did that and all it did was ask me for my postal code instead of city and state. Bought some points and switched back to US with no ill effects. Phew!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
GMUNYIFan said:
Wow.....this is really aggravating. I went out and bought a wavebird just so I could play the VC games wirelessly.

I've never complained about a singe decision nintendo has made, but wow they are really trying to force their customers to buy this new classic controller and I don't like it.

I hope you didn't spend more than 20 dollars on that Wavebird.

Chemo

GMUNYIFan said:
Wow.....this is really aggravating. I went out and bought a wavebird just so I could play the VC games wirelessly. I already own 5 official GCN games, but the possibility of totally wireless gameplay was exciting to me. It's worked great on every single game I've downloaded....and now SMW comes out and it's absolute crap. I really wish nintendo would allow you to remap the controller scheme because my finger is getting crazy sore trying to play it on the wavebird.

This is so retarded. They MADE the CC so that it'd work well for as many different consoles as possible. The fact that you can play VC games with GameCube controllers isn't a right, it's a privilege. If you don't like the setup, get a classic controller -- the CC was made specifically with the VC in mind and is an outstanding controller.

I am still laughing at the "trying to force customers to buy this new classic controller." You are EXPECTING a new console to allow you to use all of your old accessories to do all of the new things it offers? Ridiculous.

GMUNYIFan said:

...The CC is less expensive than the Wavebird...

Is it a new thing for manufacturers to "force" you to get new controllers for new consoles with new needs?

cvxfreak

SumGamer said:
Using GC controller to play SMW is really awkward.

Same with DKC.

Nowadays I use the Wiimote for NES games, Classic Controller for SNES games and the GC controller for N64 and Genesis games.

dyls

The CC has proven itself to me with R-Type III and SMW. The Dpad is terrific for 2D games, and the fact that it is selling so well gets me very excited fo some original 2D goodness on the Wii Ware channel. As much as I like it, though, it won't stop me from buying this in a month or so.

wiisuperretroport1medxz1.jpg

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Christopher said:
wait till you get to Star Road for the real treat in how ****ed up the sound is.

fix this now.

I thought I kept hearing folks say that the game is identical to the original release, and I never heard complaints about it back then.

Is this just an issue with folks with new surround systems and such?

Edit: Okay, I just got to Star Road on the VC release of SMW. The music sounds fine to me, using a cheap stereo speaker setup. What, exactly, is wrong?

Jonnyram

How does the NES version of Bomb Jack differ from the Arcade?
I'm thinking of purchasing, but not if it's a totally different game. The screens look weird.

Christopher

Is it me who is just missing a certain channel from their games then?

Star road is missing a certain beat in the background.

The castles are also missing a certain beat.

The ghost houses too.

It's nothing big, but certainly you can notice the difference between that and your SNES sounds.

For the people who got to Star Road:

found on youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bIe-YMnujyg

listen to that and listen to yours the "drum" beat is gone on mine that's why it sounds off.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Christopher said:
Is it me who is just missing a certain channel from their games then?

Star road is missing a certain beat in the background.

The castles are also missing a certain beat.

The ghost houses too.

It's nothing big, but certainly you can notice the difference between that and your SNES sounds.

I am getting the impression it might just be your sound system.

When you go down a pipe in SMW, does the sound effect travel back and forth between the left and right channels? I couldn't get your Youtube video to load (net problems), but I am fairly sure my VC SMW is playing the music properly... I hear all bass tones.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jonnyram said:
How does the NES version of Bomb Jack differ from the Arcade?
I'm thinking of purchasing, but not if it's a totally different game. The screens look weird.

Mighty Bomb Jack is split between single-screen "collect all the bombs" levels and sidescrolling levels in the style of Mario. There are all sorts of routes through the game, I've never beaten it since it's rather confusing and ill-explained. It took me days of playing before I even realized you can tap "A" to use your cape as a parachute. You are also able to change the color of your outfit, to open up various chests and stuff.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
FrenchMovieTheme said:
super mario world is clearly the best mario game ever... including mario 64! the soundtrack is awesome too

QFMFT brudda!!

Gamespot gave the game an 8.5, though. :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
super mario world is clearly the best mario game ever... including mario 64! the soundtrack is awesome too

I was blown away by just how incredibly tight this title is. It's the epitome of solid design. Completely timeless, this will be looked back upon fondly and played for generations to come. Just goes to show that flashy 3D bump mapped graphics will never make truly incredible games obsolete.

DMczaf

Looks like Koei is jumping on VC soon

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV Wall of Fire KOEI Corporation E Mild Violence Wii

Luigison

dyls said:
The CC has proven itself to me with R-Type III and SMW. The Dpad is terrific for 2D games, and the fact that it is selling so well gets me very excited fo some original 2D goodness on the Wii Ware channel. As much as I like it, though, it won't stop me from buying this in a month or so.

wiisuperretroport1medxz1.jpg

That looks like a good buy, but in the mean time I'll use my HORI GCN controller for games like Ristar where low batt/wireless drop off can cause problems.

hori-vs-snes-1.jpg

I like the CC for most games though. Just wish there was a button config manager for it or the NES/SNES retro port adaptor you linked. Why did Capcom swap the buttons on the GCN MegaMan collection? And when will we see MegaMan games on the VC?

Lapsed

Banned
I just want a good joystick for my Wii. :( With all the shmups and other classic arcade games on the VC, a joystick would be very useful.

Narag

Christopher said:
odd, I have a ****ing amazing sound system - and out of all things that's what's not responding? tsc tsc.

Anyway to fix this?

Could it be the sound system is of high enough quality to make it extremely noticeable to you but not to people with more average setups?

Kevtones

anything good coming next week??

I've got Solomon's Key, Bonks, RType III, Gunstar Heroes, Contra III, Toe Jam and Ristar..anything else I need?

(I own Super Star Soldier, LTTP, MK64, SM64, SMW on their respective systems)

Soldier Blade?
RType?
Dungeon Explorer?
Gain Ground?

Luigison

Kevtones said:

I've got Solomon's Key, Bonks, RType III, Gunstar Heroes, Contra III, Toe Jam and Ristar..anything else I need?

Soldier Blade?
RType?
Dungeon Explorer?
Gain Ground?

SM64! Unless you actually like playing with the awkward N64 controller. I prefer it with the CC. I haven't tried playing with a GCN controller. Does the VC version of SM64 rumble with a GCN controller? Has anything been said about the place for clips on the bottom of the VC controller?

Bomberman '93 and SimCity are also worth checking out.

Kevtones

Luigison said:
SM64! Unless you actually like playing with the awkward N64 controller. I prefer it with the CC. I haven't tried playing with a GCN controller. Does the VC version of SM64 rumble with a GCN controller? Has anything been said about the place for clips on the bottom of the VC controller?

I have such a hard time paying $10 for a game I already own :/ ....the game is awesome though and 480P is somewhat tempting

Probably leaning towards a multiplayer game like Dungeon Explorer or Gain Ground...I hear great things about both

angelfly

Luigison said:

Bomberman '93 and SimCity are also worth checking out.

Nope

FlyinJ said:
I was blown away by just how incredibly tight this title is. It's the epitome of solid design. Completely timeless, this will be looked back upon fondly and played for generations to come. Just goes to show that flashy 3D bump mapped graphics will never make truly incredible games obsolete.

Great? Yes. Timeless? Already came up short in comparison to Mario 3 IMO, which it owes a lot of the innovations to.

Jiggy

Kevtones said:

Soldier Blade?
RType?
Dungeon Explorer?
Gain Ground?
Legend of Zelda 1 if you don't hate hard games (and judging by your current list, you must not), Soldier Blade if you liked Super Star Soldier since it's mostly more of the same, Super Castlevania IV if you don't mind slowdown in places, Military Madness if you don't mind an awkward interface (though this is the only bad thing about it).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Go with Soldier Blade if you liked SSS, it's not only more of the same. The sequels tops SSS on every points, graphics level design and all. You finally get real backgrounds to add a progression to each level, some gimmick ("I'll be back!", ain't that awesome), the weapon system make more sens especially the way smartbombs are handled and so on...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't really know the best place to put this so it goes here.
I guess nintendos home page has flash games on it sometimes now. Just played a Yoshi game. I was on my computer but it was clearly designed to play on the Wii.

Interesting

Kevtones

thanks folks, forgot to mention I own and LOVE Military Madness on VC (and SCIV and Zelda, SMB on other systems)

I think Soldier Blade and Dungeon Explorer demand my attention

to anyone that says it's not worth buying a game you already own: have you seen how much better it looks on the wii with components? i can tell a HUGE difference on n64 games.

do yourself a favor and sell your old cartridges for at least how much you'd be spending on the vc version.

Kevtones

big black woman said:
to anyone that says it's not worth buying a game you already own: have you seen how much better it looks on the wii with components? i can tell a HUGE difference on n64 games.

do yourself a favor and sell your old cartridges for at least how much you'd be spending on the vc version.

So Mario 64 looks very nice? How does it control??

Top Bottom